Infographic Reveals Key Details for Model 3

Thanks to a poster on the Model 3 Owners Club forum, we have some new and juicy information concerning the Model 3. The images posted come from an infographic being handed out to Tesla employees as "talking points" to try and sway people away from Model 3. A Tesla spokesperson confirmed to Road and Track the infographic is real and accurate.

Some information listed on the infographic is already known such as a 215+ mile range and having to pay to use Tesla's Superchargers. There is also new information such as a 0-60 mph time of 5.6 seconds (though it is unclear what is the powertrain layout is being quoted), and a total of 14 cubic feet between the front and rear cargo holds.

The infographic also mentions something interesting about delivery timing - "As we continue to build out our production capacity to meet the higher number of advanced reservations, deliveries for Model 3 orders placed today are not expected until mid 2018."

Source: Model 3 Owners Club, Road & Track
Pic Credit: Model 3 Owners Club

View full article

Very Interesting!

First big question, where are the two kids being put in the Tesla S? Trunk? Last I knew there was no 3rd row seat.

The charts are good and should really send home a clear message about the differences.

3 minutes ago, Anthony Fongaro said:

So they want Tesla Sales Associates to sway customers away from the Model 3 and to the Model S? I wonder if that will work with such a big price difference. 

Agree, I know plenty that have placed their deposits for a Tesla 3 and are excited for an EV that is priced between 15-50K. 

I suspect many will be disappointed when they see that the features they want are pushing their Tesla 3 into Tesla S price range. I would not be surprised to see many cancel their reservation. 

Bigger question to ask is how many once they see the pricing, will flip the reservation over to an S model?

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There is a rear facing 3rd row seat optional on the Model-S

Cool to know, interesting that in all the time I have been in tesla S and seen them that I never have seen this option or heard about it. Weird. Those have got to be some tiny seats for tiny kids.

Interesting, the third row is so close to the roof and glass, I am surprised it is legally safe.

TeslaS3rdrow.jpg

Not impressed with kids in the seats.

Tesla3rdRowOccupied.png

Guess good for Tailgating!

TeslaSTailgating.jpg

Over all if you need to haul more than 5 people get an SUV/CUV. This is crazy.

44 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

A hatch might cost more.  I assume 5.6 0-60 and 215 miles is the base car.  I assume there an upgrade?

I agree, it probably costs more especially to pass the crash testing.

I don't believe a hatch would be prohibitively expensive out back from a crash-standpoint- and the rise in appeal due to increased cargo capacity would be huge- this is a sedan in a CUV/SUV world. If Mini can do it on everything they sell starting at $20K, Tesla can do it at "$35K".

Bitchin' just to bitch...

Modern cars....not from the 1960s and 1970s when this was super common but during the beginnings of the SUV craze....

Mid-1990s FoMoCo Taurus and Sable station wagon

296451.jpg

early to mid 1990s General Motors  Caprice Station wagon, Buick Roadmaster station wagon and Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

a4.jpg

And even more modern cars during the HEIGHT but NOT EVEN peak of the SUV craze as SUV madness is growing...

2001 Volvo V70

VolvoV70T5008.jpg

2014 Mercedes E Class

seat.jpg

And Tesla....

Not too shabby for it being just a hatch style-'4 door coupe' low and sleek design! 

And NO!

The heads are NOT sooooo close to the window or rear, its very comparable to any station wagon that is sold....OR 3rd ROW SUV seating!!!

IMG_2595.jpg

3rd row SUV seating...2013 GM  FULL PHOQUING SIZED SUV....

The only advantage is that the seats are forward facing...

336226144_683439320001_vs-683430182001.j

Not everyone WANTS a freakin' SUV!!!

Not everyone NEEDS a freakin' SUV 24/7/365!

Cars with hatchbacks or station wagons fill that need quite nicely and in MOST cases HAUL MORE stuff than their CUV/SUV equivalent...without the EΧCESSIVE BULKINESS AND WEIGHT of a SHYTY  CUV/SUV all in the while HANDLING BETTER, BRAKING FASTER!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

Bitchin' just to bitch part deux!!!

If Im not mistaken, this is a Model 3 trunk

0X2xwBB.jpg

YTo2OntzOjI6ImlkIjtpOjEyNTQ5NDQ7czoxOiJ3

Its not so bad....the Model3 is said to be BMW 3 Series sized...

2016-bmw-3-series-trunk_10785_049_640x48

Advantage BIMMER!  BMW engineers thought this out very well!!!! KUDOS!!!

But lets take a look at a Ford Fusion...a slightly bigger car I believe

rsz-ford-fusion-hybrid-trunk.jpg

Looks about the same as the Tesla Model 3....it really is not soooo bad!!!!

But yes....a hatch would do wonders....

Here....a Fusion hatch or I should say the Mondeo hatch...

up39516-AZ_new_Mondeo_06.jpg

In the 2nd Model 3 pic above, you can see the intrusions from below the rear window, like everything has there now- speakers & such, it's a killer. My comment is not about cubic feet but the opening- it looks clearly smaller than the 3-series to my eye, and about the smallest I've ever seen. The late '60s F-bodies created the space saver spare because a full-size tire wouldn't fit thru the short opening. How come Ford was able to get the Fusions hatched but Tesla decided against it?

And?
In the CUV/SUV world of 2017 (& thereabouts), the 3 should've also had the same well-integrated hatch the Model S has, pretty easy since the R&D was already done on it. If it had a decent-sized trunk opening, it'd be OK, but not only is the hatch more appealing, it solves the issue the 3 apparently is bringing to market as is.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

In the 2nd Model 3 pic above, you can see the intrusions from below the rear window, like everything has there now- speakers & such, it's a killer. My comment is not about cubic feet but the opening- it looks clearly smaller than the 3-series to my eye, and about the smallest I've ever seen. The late '60s F-bodies created the space saver spare because a full-size tire wouldn't fit thru the short opening. How come Ford was able to get the Fusions hatched but Tesla decided against it?

Mine too was about the opening....

The BMW 3 Series goes further on top. If the Tesla Model 3 did not have that glass, then the Model 3 would probably have a similar opening where the glass like the BMW 3 Series.....

About the Fusion....that hatch is for China and Europe only...and since the Fusion's trunk is about the same type of wide opening as the Model 3 and I own a Fusion and I do not find any real problems with it then this complaint really is much ado about nothing.

OK...I would have bought that hatch style Fusion if it were offered here in North America, but it aint bad at all this way!!!

This is the actual  video where the second pic comes from....

Its still the prototype of 1 year ago...the dude says the opening will be a little bit larger than that on the production car...but even it stayed that way....its comparable to MANY MANY MANY sedans in this vehicle size range!

@3:23 is where the trunk thing starts at.

In the first pic, you could tell its wider top to bottom wise...

Edited by oldshurst442