Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Audi News: Audi Sport's CEO Wants A Hypercar, But Not Anytime Soon

William Maley

Audi Sport's CEO Stephan Winkelmann dreams about giving the sub-brand their own low-volume hypercar.

"I'm very keen on working on this in the future. I think not only the brand deserves it, but there is a demand outside, and the [customers] are looking into it," Winkelmann told Automotive News.

Winkelmann has knowledge of building low-volume exotic models as he was at the helm of Lamborghini for more than a decade. But this is something that will happen down the road. Right now, Winkelmann is working on building out "a balanced lineup that brings prestige to the Audi name while adding some sales volume." That means you will be seeing more Audi crossovers with the RS badge like the RS Q3.

"This is important because this is one of the things which is allowing you to have a worldwide presence," Winkelmann said.

"The segment is growing, and we have good synergies there, and we also have fantastic cars in terms of design and performance."

Winkelmann declined to name possible models, but rumor has it that there is an RS Q5 possibly launching this year.

Audi Sport also has plans to do its own version of an all-electric vehicle. Possibly launching in 2020 or 2021, Winkelmann said the model could be either a coupe-like sedan or SUV, or even both. The focus of the model(s) would be balancing performance and range.

"You need the range, but you also need the excitement factor," he said.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

They might as well focus on turbo V6 crossovers or an overboosted 4 banger with a 48 volt hybrid system for Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, whatever.    They have the R8 because of Lamborghini, an why would they want to step on Lamborghini and Porsche's toes?   And sure everyone wants a hypercar, most don't have the know how or guts to pour the money into making it.

The A8 is in an un-winnable battle with the best car in the world, they can pump as much money as they want in, it isn't going to matter.

BMW talked about a hyper car also but says it isn't in their budget.  If you want a hyper car look to Mercedes.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

The A8 is in an un-winnable battle with the best car in the world, they can pump as much money as they want in, it isn't going to matter.

BMW talked about a hyper car also but says it isn't in their budget.  If you want a hyper car look to Mercedes.

"If you want a hyper fanboi look to smk4565"  (fixed it.  you're welcome)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The Pagani has an AMG engine, and the Lambroghini is owned by Germans.  The LaFerrari will be no match for the Mercedes hyper car the LaFerrari is too heavy, too weak.   But I suspect Ferrari will up their game and it will be game on.  BMW and Audi aren't going to get to that level.

Touché on the Pagani.

But...

regarding Lamborghini...'tis Lambo that is used for V10 engine tech and the platform work from the Gallardo and Huracan regarding old and new Audi R8 and not Porsche....

And Ferrari LaFerrari successor to come in 2021-2023. You said it yourself that Ferrari will up their game further...but as we speak....in 2017...there is nothing from Germany that touches Ferrari...because simply enough...there is no hyper car from Germany. (Porsche explanation further down...Mercedes/BMW has NOTHING)

Or even Lamborghini regardless if VAG owns Lamborghini...

There is Porsche...

But VAG lets Porsche be Porsche and Lamborghini be Lamborghini...therefore Lamborghini remains Italian...

I should correct myself as Porsche creates awesome hyper cars...the Carrera GT and the 918...but like I said...Audi uses Lamborghini for their go fast R8 car... all Porsche gets from Audi is diesel scandals.

Until M-B produces its hyper car...Italians do do it better...but by that time...Ferrari will still be better enforcing further that Italians do it better!

Edited by oldshurst442

Audi has no business playing in this realm. At one point, this could have been a great parallel with the R18 Prototype racer, but that chip has sailed. Audi needs to focus on making their meat and potatoes products better than ever. 

If they want to do something special, give us that damn Quattro Sport Concept they keep teasing and then shelving.

5 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The German supercars/hypercars are less likely to spontaneously combust like the Italians..and usually have better fit and finish. 

Are less likely...sure. But not impervious.

https://jalopnik.com/nooooooo-first-porsche-918-spyder-burns-to-ground-in-g-1640157724

Better fit and finish? Sure! But German styling is soulless. Italian styling has passion...hence why Italians do it better.

In a sexual explanation of how German engineering and styling works...

A German making love will  give you the optimal thrusting speed and frequency per minute to orgasm and ejaculate quicker and more efficiently. Will calculate how many out of breath "Oh God!" were shouted and divide that by how many palpitations he feels his woman is having and then he will proceed to thrust harder.

So yeah...they have everything down to a calculated science...which may be a good thing. But it aint hot and passionate...at least to me it aint...concerning some German cars.

Porsche is an exception for me. Certain Mercedes models as well...but over all...this is how I feel.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

https://jalopnik.com/nooooooo-first-porsche-918-spyder-burns-to-ground-in-g-1640157724

Better fit and finish? Sure! But German styling is soulless. Italian styling has passion...hence why Italians do it better.

In a sexual explanation of how German engineering and styling works...

A German making love will  give you the optimal thrusting speed and frequency per minute to orgasm and ejaculate quicker and more efficiently. Will calculate how many out of breath "Oh God!" were shouted and divide that by how many palpitations he feels his woman is having and then he will proceed to thrust harder.

So yeah...they have everything down to a calculated science...which may be a good thing. But it aint hot and passionate...at least to me it aint...concerning some German cars.

Porsche is an exception for me. Certain Mercedes models as well...but over all...this is how I feel.

So german love making is soulless, calculated and engineered to perfection. Italian is hot heavy sweaty and passionate but not reliable. So that must mean North American Love Making is perfect since you have the freedom to do it your way, any way with enough quality to keep you coming back again and again. 

Solid like a Rock, Most dependable longest lasting with a measure of 100 year toughness and innovative!

Yup America Rocks! :metal: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

A German making love will probably give you the optimal thrusting speed and frequency to orgasm and ejaculate quicker and more efficiently but its hardly passionate...

Italians caress, sweet talk, dance and smooch and tease and grab and lick...theres the difference.

Lol... I once had a German girlfriend and later a Brazilian girlfriend..the German could make discussing distributed database caching algorithms very sexy (she was a computer engineering PhD candidate). The Brazilian was passionate, but bipolar and emotional.    Both of them went on to get their PhDs, I dropped out and went Dilbert...good times...

• Haha 2