New York 2019: Cadillac CT5 to Debut: Comments

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The car is growing on me more and more, but then I always liked the front half and the rear end. Just that weird part by the C pillar, but I do agree it will be a moot point once you tint those damn rear windows and realistically all of them. Still think that redish color is the best so far on this sedan.

Whiny little pansy...perhaps? 

:D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Whiny little pansy...perhaps? 

:D

Do I get a Millennial Hug to make me feel better and Trophies all around so we do not forget to include everyone both winners and losers?

Course according to the 21st century parenting guide, there is no more winners or losers. Everyone is equal. 🤣

• Thanks 1

The car is growing on me more and more, but then I always liked the front half and the rear end. Just that weird part by the C pillar, but I do agree it will be a moot point once you tint those damn rear windows and realistically all of them. Still think that redish color is the best so far on this sedan.

Grew on me from git, but I see where the changes can be polarizing. The comments about the side window resembling the Accord are with merit.. But again I think they were fine like this too add a bit of youthful flare.. Which is now desperately needed in the segment of midsized luxo cars. Hence I have never dogged out Infiniti for its efforts.. As the 5 series A6 and E class.. Along with the REGULAR CTS are very mature looking and that's who they tend to appeal to. Only when U get there M, RS, AMG, or V variants does a youthful appearance shine thru. This remedies that even on regular trim.. But alas.  To each his own and we'll see how it fares in the market place. Personally, as I've said dozens of times before, I'm moving up to the CT6 for size and my, ironically, more mature outlook on things automotive 

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 2

So BMW has announced their CLA competitor, the 2 series Gran Coupe..FWD

https://jalopnik.com/the-next-bmw-small-sedan-will-be-fwd-just-as-we-feared-1833431079

So then this would say BMW is joining the likes of Toyota, Chevrolet, etc. in whoring out an auto to every Tom, Dick and Harry they can!

FWD is the New Ultimate Driving Machine? 🤔

GM beat them to this by what 30 years? @balthazar

• Agree 1

Problem is/was; the CLA sedan was also in the 3-series / c-class larger compact niche. I think that's why MB shrunk the a-class a bit.

Regardless of market intentions, the initial comment I made was addressing interior vs. exterior dimensions.

The CLA, C-class and SL are all between 182.5 and 184.5 inches long, if you rear seat room is the need then get theC-class.

The CLA, C-class and SL are all between 182.5 and 184.5 inches long, if you rear seat room is the need then get the C-class.

And all look cheap like any other auto in the same segment.

@ccap41 Come on you know that for the price you pay for these 3 auto's you can get better CPO options out there that look way better.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Korea Cadillac is going great to get people to try out their auto's. Cadillac is giving free rides all over Jeju Island as people go there to swim and enjoy the warmth. Kinda like going to the Florida Keys Islands. Great way to get people into a Cadillac even for a short trip and let them see what the auto is all about.

And all look cheap like any other auto in the same segment.

@ccap41 Come on you know that for the price you pay for these 3 auto's you can get better CPO options out there that look way better.

Those are two different things you just said. Does the entire segment look cheap or is it just not as good as CPO vehicles? 

Obviously a CPO luxury vehicle "above" these is going to be better but I don't think anything about a C Class is cheaply made or looks cheap.  

57 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Those are two different things you just said. Does the entire segment look cheap or is it just not as good as CPO vehicles? 

Obviously a CPO luxury vehicle "above" these is going to be better but I don't think anything about a C Class is cheaply made or looks cheap.  

Your right I have said two different things, I think for the class, CPO is better than these auto's new IMHO.

I also am not impressed with C Class or any of the others. I just feel that the overall class is a cheap class that if we were not forced to deal with stupid nanny devices and other unneeded items the auto makers could give a superior ride with superior quality materials at that price point.

I see nothing wrong with manual windows or door locks. When we are talking inexpensive auto's I think their is much that could be done better in a base auto than what you get out of this class for the price. 

But that IMHO.

48 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Your right I have said two different things, I think for the class, CPO is better than these auto's new IMHO.

I also am not impressed with C Class or any of the others. I just feel that the overall class is a cheap class that if we were not forced to deal with stupid nanny devices and other unneeded items the auto makers could give a superior ride with superior quality materials at that price point.

I see nothing wrong with manual windows or door locks. When we are talking inexpensive auto's I think their is much that could be done better in a base auto than what you get out of this class for the price. 

But that IMHO.

The C-class has air suspension as an option, V6 or V8 as an option and you can get it with or without the driver nanny controls and the materials are the best in that segment and better than a lot of cars in the next segment up.  Not sure what else they could do in that segment.

• Agree 1

I was taken aback at how nice the new A Class is. Saw it at the auto show and peeked inside. There was no chance of me squeezing into either the front or the back so I left it at a feel up of the interior bits. The interior dash that looks stupid and cheap in pictures actually looks really good in the flesh. Reader board dashboard screen is actually innovative and will probably spark a trend. Very thin and long  ipad basically. 

• 2 weeks later...

^ Yea- but that's you; you wake up in the morning to fixate on something for the day. I personally would not have greenlighted the C-Pillar, but it's pretty minor all in all.
- - - - -
On the CT5 :from the above single-angle shot, I'm going to give it a 'no'. It's a bit soft IMO as far as carrying the chiseled look of late- and in softening the edges, it recedes toward the generic. Need to see more outdoors, all angle shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That c-pillar is not enough to get me to not buy the car. I have no problem with it. 

Car is bland enough to keep me from wanting to buy it, but I will hold out hope for an exciting V edition package. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, regfootball said:

This is from Cadillac web site.  Much better angle.  I can warm up to this, C pillar and all. I would dig one of the other colors.

image.png

Strong Nissan vibe to the C-pillar in that angle. I like this color. 

• Agree 1

The 2020 CT5 measures 193.8 inches (4,924 mm) in length, 74.1 inches (1,883 mm) in width and 57.2 inches (1,452 mm) in height, with a wheelbase of 116.0 inches (2,947 mm).

Despite its Fastback styling, it’s almost as long as a BMW 5-Series, which measures 194.3 inches (4,936 mm) bumper to bumper. Meanwhile, the CT5’s wheelbase is actually longer than that of an Audi A6 (115.1 inches / 2,924 mm). Also, here’s how it compares to a 2019 CTS: 114.6 inches (2,911 mm) wheelbase, 72.2 inches (1,834 mm) width, 195.5 inches (4,966 mm) length – the CT5 is bigger in every way except overall length, but again, that’s because of its styling.

Before you voice your objections in the comments, we asked Cadillac for clarification, and they insisted on describing it as a “compact” premium sedan that will be competitively priced within that segment as well.

link:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/2020-cadillac-ct5-is-a-compact-sports-sedan-the-size-of-a-bmw-5-series/

Awesome news. 10 inch 1080 screen. NFC.. AND FINALLY.. forced induction only engine line-up! 335HP/400ft-lb of torque is a welcome mid level engine. Same HP as the 540i, but a whopping 68ft-lb torque advantage. I'm betting a much lighter overall car too. Comparable in every way to the 5Series, this new car has a 116 inch-long wheelbase(5series 117.1), has a length of 193.8 inches(5series 194.6) and a width of 74.1 inches(5series 73.5). Yes.. the Caddy is wider.

Interior looks great.. except that damn non-leather steering wheel hub on lower models

da8f78a9-2020-cadillac-ct5-premium-1.jpg

cfb0e789-2020-cadillac-ct5-premium-3.jpg3ab2c20c-2020-cadillac-ct5-1.jpg2020-Cadillac-CT5-Sport-Interior-002.jpg2020-Cadillac-CT5-Sport-Interior-001.jpge5f59ec8-cadillac-ct5-release-and-specs-f1097be5-cadillac-ct5-release-and-specs-42d74cec-cadillac-ct5-release-and-specs-

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Cmicasa the Great said:

While I have my nitpick issues, over all a very sweet ride and I really like the interior. 

Ya know the German koolaid lovers will also nitpick and move the field goal to justify why the german brands are still better. LOL 

• Agree 1

Just now, dfelt said:

While I have my nitpick issues, over all a very sweet ride and I really like the interior. 

Ya know the German koolaid lovers will also nitpick and move the field goal to justify why the german brands are still better. LOL 

I'm digging everything except windows not being tinted to blind out the Black piece on the back. Once windows tinted.. issue over

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I'm digging everything except windows not being tinted to blind out the Black piece on the back. Once windows tinted.. issue over

Right, I just do not get with all the skin cancer issues and how people love to have their auto's tinted to help deal with hot summer sun, why that is just not standard anymore on a luxury auto.

I agree that once you limo black tint the windows on the side, that ugly weird C pillar issue is gone. The interior blows away anything I have seen on this class from the Germans.

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Right, I just do not get with all the skin cancer issues and how people love to have their auto's tinted to help deal with hot summer sun, why that is just not standard anymore on a luxury auto.

I agree that once you limo black tint the windows on the side, that ugly weird C pillar issue is gone. The interior blows away anything I have seen on this class from the Germans.

Right.. It's a very small thing. Oh.. And the tint issue is due to statutory laws. Many states will not pass cars in inspection process with tint on.. Unless it is so weak that its barely noticed or a truck/SUV. All of my cars, except the 66, are tinted just over the legal, but due to the interior colors look almost black 

2 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Right.. It's a very small thing. Oh.. And the tint issue is due to statutory laws. Many states will not pass cars in inspection process with tint on.. Unless it is so weak that its barely noticed or a truck/SUV. All of my cars, except the 66, are tinted just over the legal, but due to the interior colors look almost black 

Lucky me, PNW does not have inspections so unless your doing something really stupid for the cop to pull you over, tinting is not an issue here. Though I think with the amount of State police cars with limo black tint, that the whole tint thing should just be dropped.

I also have come to think that inspections are good as too many dangerous auto's on the road. Amazing how many people buy and auto and let it fall into disrepair.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think the interior looks really good, much better than the CUV ones that have come out lately.

The cargo volume thing, 11.9 cubic feet, maybe that is a typo.

The CTS cargo volume is 13.7 cubic feet, this looks like it has a smaller trunk.   Slightly bigger than the ATS, which is 10.4 cubic feet. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

There are a lot of vehicles that come with factory tinted rear windows. I would assume that'd be available here as well.. maybe not? 

My Escape and Lincoln both came with factory tint behind the driver's row. I can't believe that's a Ford thing.

Don't the GM large SUVs and trucks some with tint on the rear windows in higher trims as well? 

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The CTS cargo volume is 13.7 cubic feet, this looks like it has a smaller trunk.   Slightly bigger than the ATS, which is 10.4 cubic feet. 

While 13.7 isn't huge, 3+ cubic feet more is a good amount difference. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There are a lot of vehicles that come with factory tinted rear windows. I would assume that'd be available here as well.. maybe not? 

My Escape and Lincoln both came with factory tint behind the driver's row. I can't believe that's a Ford thing.

Don't the GM large SUVs and trucks some with tint on the rear windows in higher trims as well? 

While 13.7 isn't huge, 3+ cubic feet more is a good amount difference. 

Weird as I have seen the tint on the GM full size Trucks and SUVs and yet also still seen them come with clear glass. Have not figured out why on an Escalade that someone would want clear glass, but I have seen it and it looks bad IMHO.

I agree, I do not think the Tint thing is a Ford thing, just that for some weird reason dealerships order the bulk with tint and then a few without and I see no reason for them being tintless.

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

My Jeep has factory tint in the same way.  As did my old Jeep. Now in Arizona, you can tint the front side windows also...my sister's Trax has those, but my Jeep (which came from CA) doesn't..not sure about Ohio, but her STS has aftermarket tint on the side windows it looks like.   I think some states don't allow front side window or windshield tinting... 

Edited by Robert Hall

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Weird as I have seen the tint on the GM full size Trucks and SUVs and yet also still seen them come with clear glass. Have not figured out why on an Escalade that someone would want clear glass, but I have seen it and it looks bad IMHO.

I agree, I do not think the Tint thing is a Ford thing, just that for some weird reason dealerships order the bulk with tint and then a few without and I see no reason for them being tintless.

I know on Ford it's a higher trim thing. "Privacy Glass" as they word it. 

I think base Lincoln's do as well even though that should be a small part of the luxury experience, imo, and it should be with Cadillac as well. 

I don't THINK it is a dealer thing unless they're only ordering lower trims. I think once you step up to a mid or higher trim package it's just something that gets thrown in. Maybe that's part of the selling feature because just looking at two vehicles, one with tint and one without, one looks so much better and most people aren't about going and having their vehicles tinted. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

My Jeep has factory tint in the same way.  As did my old Jeep. Now in Arizona, you can tint the front side windows also...my sister's Trax has those, but my Jeep (which came from CA) doesn't..not sure about Ohio, but her STS has aftermarket tint on the side windows it looks like.   I think some states don't allow front side window or windshield tinting... 

Yeah, i definitely did not think it was a Ford thing. 

Here in IL the fronts are only supposed to be 35%. I've done all of mine to 20% and never had issues with law enforcement. 

I've looked up the laws and it seems like every state has different laws. Some allow anything, some allow none at all on the fronts and all sorts of mixtures in the middle.

33 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I said cars. 

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

So ATS was convertible sized.. CT5 is sub-subcompact sedan sized.  Basically if you have a family, get a CUV/SUV.

3 minutes ago, frogger said:

So ATS was convertible sized.. CT5 is sub-subcompact sedan sized.  Basically if you have a family, get a CUV/SUV. 

Which is how the market works today...families buy CUVs/SUVs..alas, sedan trunks seem to get smaller and smaller and less useful. 

Edited by Robert Hall