Aston Martin News:Aston Martin Launches its First SUV

Aston Martin has unveiled their DBX SUV in Beijing China.  This is the first SUV in the brand's 106-year history. It is being build at a new plant in Wales that is part of Aston Martin's second century rebirth plan. 

The DBX uses a bonded aluminum construction method to help keep weight down. At 4,949 lbs., it's relatively light weight for a full-size V8 powered luxury SUV.  An adaptive triple chamber air springs allow the DBX to raise ride height by 45mm or lower by 50mm. This allows for versatility in terrain and handling, but also helps with getting into and out of the vehicle, or with vehicle loading.  The air ride system also allows for variable spring stiffness, combined with an electric anti-roll control system and adaptive dampers helps the DBX handle more like a sports car than an SUV.

Powered by an new version of Aston Martin's 4-liter, twin-turbo V8, that is also found in the DB11 and Vantage, the 542 horsepower and 516 lb.-ft of torque V8 can propel the DBX from 0 to 62mph in 4.5 second and achieve a top speed of 181 mph. The engine feature cylinder deactivation to increase fuel economy. All-wheel drive is standard and the power gets to all 4 wheels through a 9-speed automatic. An active center differential plus electronic rear limited slip differential allows torque to be transferred front to rear and side to side on the rear axle. 

The interior of the DBX, as expected, is a sumptuous place to spend your driving time. The cabin has been designed to accommodate the 99th percentile male and 5th percentile female provides class leading headroom and legroom. All of the seats are trimmed in full grain leather while the headliner and blind for the full panel sun room covered in Alcantara finish. Buyers can choose from wood, composite, and metal veneers to suit any taste. 

A 10.25 inch screen sits flush in the center console while a 12.3 inch. Apple Car Play is standard as well as a 360-degree camera system and ambient lighting with 64 colors. 

The starting MSRP for the DBX in the U.S. is $189,900 with deliveries expected to start in late spring 2020.

View full article

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I have always liked Aston Martin auto's and this ROCKS! :metal: Should help drive profits as they plan out the future of EVs.

Excited to see this in person.

and it sounds like you might actually fit in it. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

bUt ThEy oNlY mAkE cArS

I have no problem with Aston making an SUV.  That's where the money today is and it is a big and profitable market.  I bet DBX will sell more than the rest of the lineup combined.

I am just a little disappointed in the design.  It is not a bad looking SUV but I expected better from Aston. 

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 2

Is it just me or is there a LOT less stylistic latitude in SUV design than car design? You can go from a mid-engine exotic to a Ford Flex in cars, but SUVs are pretty much in a tight little range- all 4-drs with a rear hatch, 2-box design. Each brand to jump into the fray's offering just melts right into the crowd for me.

35 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Is it just me or is there a LOT less stylistic latitude in SUV design than car design? You can go from a mid-engine exotic to a Ford Flex in cars, but SUVs are pretty much in a tight little range- all 4-drs with a rear hatch, 2-box design. Each brand to jump into the fray's offering just melts right into the crowd for me.

Not unlike how station wagons were in olden days, most of them stuck to the same general silhouette...the design limited by the need for the rear seat and cargo area....the bold coupe SUVs get around the 2 box design with a fastback hatch shape.    And the design doesn't work well with mid- or rear-engined layouts because of the need for cargo space. 

Similar issues with pickup trucks--design limited usually by a vertical rear window and bed. 

Ford Flex.   CUV or station wagon?

In any case,  same basic shape of a 2 box design of a 1960s , 1970s  and 1980s station wagon while being the same 2 box design of an SUV...in any era.

Tesla Cybertruck.

Pick-up truck or SUV?

Image result for tesla truck"

Because THAT was done by Pontiac...and Im sure some other off road, adventure life style sport utility vehicle off-shoot from another manufacturer as well.

Image result for Pontiac Aztec tent"

And the Tesla truck is marketed as a pick-up, right?  

Anyway, if anything, the Tesla does really break the mold in what an SUV or pick-up truck should look like, so there is that. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Seems the mandate is a Brick on Wheels. :P 

4 hours ago, ykX said:

I have no problem with Aston making an SUV.  That's where the money today is and it is a big and profitable market.  I bet DBX will sell more than the rest of the lineup combined.

I am just a little disappointed in the design.  It is not a bad looking SUV but I expected better from Aston. 

I agree, will be their #1 seller, probably they’ll add another SUV.  And it looks sort of good but sort of like a Mazda, could be better but isn’t bad.  Interior is nice.

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It’s not futuristic tho. We’ve seen it a hundred times from ‘70s-80s bad sci-fi movies. It’s actually retro like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

It also craps all over the signature & established Tesla design language.

Kind of retro futuristic.  But definitely futuristic compared to production trucks.  

13 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Pretty sweet looking ride. I like the back end, very unique design with the LED taillights. Have always loved Aston's.

About the bolded part...

Image result for tesla model 3"

Image result for aston martin suv back"

The ass of that Aston looks like the face of that Tesla.  Its unique because I think its the first time in automotive history that a car took inspiration of another for its ass...maybe Tesla's face is only good enough for Aston's ass?  

19 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Nothing S3XY about the Psychotruck.

I see what you did there!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It’s not futuristic tho. We’ve seen it a hundred times from ‘70s-80s bad sci-fi movies. It’s actually retro like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

It also craps all over the signature & established Tesla design language.

I think it''s ugly as sin. But somehow I dont mind it either. 

But I agree, it does crap all over Tesla's signature & established design language. 

This will get buyers for year 1 and maybe year 2.  But beyond that not very much.  Its as almost as if this is a gimmick.  A publicity stunt. Because this styling is NOT for everyone.  I do not think that Cybertruck's design language lends to year after year after year sales gains.  The novelty will wear off  quickly I think.

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

About the bolded part...

The ass of that Aston looks like the face of that Tesla.  Its unique because I think its the first time in automotive history that a car took inspiration of another for its ass...maybe Tesla's face is only good enough for Aston's ass?  

I see what you did there!!!

The Tessy 3 does kind of have a "rear spoiler" look to the nose!

3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

The Tessy 3 does kind of have a "rear spoiler" look to the nose!

And I could hear @ocnblu say from the top of his lungs up here in Montreal...(that is quite the distance from Lancaster)

"Yeah! Spoiled Rotten!"  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The Cybertruck is a very futuristic design, a radical departure from the usual 3 box design of pickups. It will be interesting to see how different the production model will look.  

I still think Musk is screwing with everybody. They'll release the actual Cyborgtruck and say "Psych!" 🤣 Noway they are releasing the "Lego Truck" for an actual production truck. If so, they are all severely lacking oxygen out in the Bay Area. :dizzy: 

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

2017_nissan_juke_angularrear.jpg

Feelings Feels GIF by blackbear

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Just because something is really lazily designed & amateurish, doesn't make it futuristic.
If I market a blender that's a dodecahedron in shape with no rotor/blades in it, is it 'futuristic' because no one else does?

It's futuristic in that it looks like it's a prop from a sci fi movie...more futuristic than the hideous Silverado HD, for example, which looks like most any other truck of the last 20+ years but with an uglified front end.

One aspect of the Cybertruck that is very different is the low, pointy front end and sloped back windshield instead of the usual overwrought grille and bloat of a mainstream truck.  I do wonder if we will see sleeker trucks emerge, EV and otherwise, instead of the overwrought, blunt fronts that pervade trucks now. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Like a movie prop from a 1948 movie, depicting life in the year 1990.

More like a 1985 movie depicting the year 2000..  Something from 1948 would be a rounded blob.

56 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

About the bolded part...

Actually, the Aston's rear carries over the styling themes from their cars...look at the rear of the DB 11 and other current A-Ms...

Edited by Robert Hall

I don't know. I think this 1948 Cadillac Series 60 Special Fleetwood looks pretty damn sweet!! I mean Marilyn Monroe had one for cryin' out loud! :D

image.png.3ee9230c2ac0d3a5ba62c30629478f45.png

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ Thats a ‘54.

Good eye, front end is obviously mid 50's GM, knew that. I was originally on this '48 Series 62 Conv., but liked the Fleetwood too...

image.png.dd9208c905ae8de0d1f89944eb0fdc73.png

Edited by USA-1

52 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

More like a 1985 movie depicting the year 2000..  Something from 1948 would be a rounded blob.

Actually, the Aston's rear carries over the styling themes from their cars...look at the rear of the DB 11 and other current A-Ms...

Yeah, pretty close to new Vantage. DB11 has an updated traditional rear. Love 'em both.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

True. 

I havent noticed it because it is so subtle on the cars. And nicely done I might add.  This CUV rear end though,  to take your choice of words, has been uglified unfortunately. 

About the Cybertruck.

The most popular consensus seems to be that the Cybertruck could be a truck from Blade Runner. 

I see it as an Aliens universe truck.

Image result for aliens movie tank"

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

True. 

I havent noticed it because it is so subtle on the cars. And nicely done I might add.  This CUV rear end though,  to take your choice of words, has been uglified unfortunately. 

About the Cybertruck.

The most popular consensus seems to be that the Cybertruck could be a truck from Blade Runner. 

I see it as an Aliens universe truck.

Image result for aliens movie tank"

Next Mad Max sequel just add gun turret to the bed😁

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, USA-1 said:

I don't know. I think this 1948 Cadillac Series 60 Special Fleetwood looks pretty damn sweet!! I mean Marilyn Monroe had one for cryin' out loud! :D

image.png.3ee9230c2ac0d3a5ba62c30629478f45.png

Never understood what people found so great about Marilyn, just an average looking woman.

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Never understood what people found so great about Marilyn, just an average looking woman.

7 hours ago, USA-1 said:

JFK. Lol!

Dont forget married to baseball star Joe DiMaggio.  I think she also had romantic links to Hollywood hunks Marlon Brando and legendary Frank Sinatra.

The girl got around. 

The why part? 

The answer:   The  wholesome 1950s and the EARLY  1960s.   

Sex was taboo. Sex was forbidden. Sex was a hush hush thing. But there was innuendo galore though. And the image was blondes have more fun. Busty blondes especially.  (I dont even think she was a natural blonde either) But the start of the sex pot, dumb blonde was well on its way and Marilyn was the leader. 

I agree with you Dfelt.  I dont get the attraction either.  But to be fair, she is a product of her time....

Im curious though, what dark secrets did she carry about Hollywood especially when its finally out in the open with this whole #metoo movement with the likes of Epstein, Weinstein, good 'ole Willy Billy Clinton, Prince Andrew, dare I say Donald Trump, and um....JFK...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Dont forget married to baseball star Joe DiMaggio.  I think she also had romantic links to Hollywood hunks Marlon Brando and legendary Frank Sinatra.

The girl got around. 

The why part? 

The answer:   The  wholesome 1950s and the EARLY  1960s.   

Sex was taboo. Sex was forbidden. Sex was a hush hush thing. But there was innuendo galore though. And the image was blondes have more fun. Busty blondes especially.  (I dont even think she was a natural blonde either) But the start of the sex pot, dumb blonde was well on its way and Marilyn was the leader. 

I agree with you Dfelt.  I dont get the attraction either.  But to be fair, she is a product of her time....

Im curious though, what dark secrets did she carry about Hollywood especially when its finally out in the open with this whole #metoo movement with the likes of Epstein, Weinstein, good 'ole Willy Billy Clinton, Prince Andrew, dare I say Donald Trump, and um....JFK...

Well, at least we don't have to wonder what olds thinks about Marilyn. LMAO!!

44 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Well, at least we don't have to wonder what olds thinks about Marilyn. LMAO!!

Heh heh...I have no idea how he jumped from future SUVs to Marilyn....her time was long ago and before my time, but of the 1950s women I'd prefer Suzy Parker, Ava Gardner or Sophia Loren....

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Heh heh...I have no idea how he jumped from future SUVs to Marilyn....her time was long ago and before my time, but of the 1950s women I'd prefer Suzy Parker, Ava Gardner or Sophia Loren....

For me if I am going to pick a woman from the era, then Rachel Welch.

Raquel Welch.jpg

Course you can choose from so many better looking woman than Marlyn.

https://groovyhistory.com/hottest-sexiest-actresses-1960s-movies-tv

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

She was a hottie, more late 60s and 1970s.   

OK, then I go with one of my Favorites sense I do love my Asian Woman. Julie Yeh Feng was huge in the 50's and 60's. One of the first big Asian Actresses.

JulieYehFeng.jpg

Sensual for sure.

See the source image

• Agree 1

Here is an interesting read on a comparison of what is known about this SUV versus the Urus.

https://gulfnews.com/auto/car-culture/comparison-aston-martin-dbx-vs-lamborghini-urus-1.1574676553090

:roflmao:

Guess the web site did this to get clicks as there is no info on the Aston compared to the Maybach.

https://www.suvdrive.com/comparison/aston-martin-dbx-2020-vs-mercedes-maybach-gls-600-4matic-2020

• Agree 1

Im glad the thread temporarily went from ugliness (AM CUV) to prettiness (50s and 60s chicks) for a brief moment....

I was responding to @dfelt and @USA-1 posts about Marilyn and JFK. 

I googled to see what kind of cars Marilyn drove or liked so I couild at least link it to Aston Martin, but I found nothing concrete to tie it in. (Seeing this is an Aston Martin CUV thread and all...) 

She had a Cadillac convertible, a 1956 Thunderbird.  It lo0ks like she owned a 1961 Corvette and a 1962 Chrysler 300.  Maybe a Land Rover and a MG. 

She did own a Jaguar XK and a Mercedes 220 both convertible and the link also said that apart from her Land |Rover, she did not really like European cars.

So...if she was a sex pot alive today, I dont think she be driving around in a Aston Martin car or SUV. 

I think a Mary Kay Land Rover and a Cadillac Escalade would be her choices for SUVs and as far as cars go, probably a Cadillac CT6...

So there, you cant say I totally derailed the thread.  😜

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Course you can choose from so many better looking woman than Marlyn.

https://groovyhistory.com/hottest-sexiest-actresses-1960s-movies-tv

I don't find any of them to be particularly better looking than MM. I mean, c'mon; Mia Farrow ??

For me, some women 'elevate' their physical appeal with a combination of looks and (perceived) personality. MM was one of those. Another that fits this bill and pops to mind is Catherine Bach from the Dukes days:

Catherine Bach 001.jpg

• Agree 1

Im gonna get my cues from the movie The Shawshank Redemption

Rita Hayworth

Image result for rita hayworth the shawshank redemption gif"

And just like with the inmates watching the movie when this scene comes on.

Except substitute boys instead of the girls in the gif...

Image result for girls scream at The Beatles gif"

Then there is Rachel Welch.

Image result for Rachel welch"

And Ill up the ante further with Barbra Eden.  Just because I could honestly say Ive seen most if not all of the  I Dream Of Genie episodes via reruns in the 1970s that I watched with my mom after school waiting for my dad to come home from work. 

I could post a Genie pic, but I found this instead and I found this to be sexier than her being half naked. 

Image result for I dream of Genie gif"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im gonna get my cues from the movie The Shawshank Redemption

Rita Hayworth

Image result for rita hayworth the shawshank redemption gif"

And just like with the inmates watching the movie when this scene comes on.

Except substitute boys instead of the girls in the gif...

Image result for girls scream at The Beatles gif"

Then there is Rachel Welch.

Image result for Rachel welch"

And Ill up the ante further with Barbra Eden.  Just because I could honestly say Ive seen most if not all of the  I Dream Of Genie episodes via reruns in the 1970s that I watched with my mom after school waiting for my dad to come home from work. 

I could post a Genie pic, but I found this instead and I found this to be sexier than her being half naked. 

Image result for I dream of Genie gif"

"What do you have to say about it fuzzy britches?!" - Warden Norton :D The Shawshank Redemption is one of my fav movies! Good call.

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I don't find any of them to be particularly better looking than MM. I mean, c'mon; Mia Farrow ??

For me, some women 'elevate' their physical appeal with a combination of looks and (perceived) personality. MM was one of those. Another that fits this bill and pops to mind is Catherine Bach from the Dukes days:

Catherine Bach 001.jpg

What red blooded american boy did not have a crush on Daisy and her shorts! :P