1. 1. What kind of car does Paulie get?

• 2007 Buick LaCrosse CXL
    • 2007 Saturn Aura XR
    • 2007 Chevy Impala 2LT
    • 2007 Honda Accord EX or LX V6
    • 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    • 2007 Other

Okay, here's what I need/want, followed by the reasons:

I need a quiet, comfortable ride. After a loud day with students, I really enjoy a bit of solitude in my car. I love road trips and will be commuting a bit, so comfort is necessary. I'm tall, so leg room needs to be adequate in the front seat. I don't need the most-intense stereo, but quality of the sound is important. I feel any stereo in the Buick, Chevy or Saturn would meet my needs, and the Accord's stereo I've heard and it's sufficient for my needs.

2007 LaCrosse CXL:

The LaCrosse would allow me to have a quiet, smooth ride, conservative looks and a nice build quality. The engine and tranny would be extremely reliable.

2007 Saturn Aura XR

The Aura has the style I'd love to have in a car. The XR would have all of the features I'd like. Cons: brand-new 6-speed auto in it, so not sure of the reliability or bugs it'd go through in its first year. Car also in its first year.

2007 Chevrolet Impala 2LT

Reliable, conservative, sturdy vehicle. Like the looks, not too content with the interior materials. The car is everything I'd really want, but I'd want a console shifter (I don't care for the way the split bench looks in this car), and that requires the 3LT with the 3.9L or the SS trim. I also wanted auto-climate control, and that's not an option on any trim level.

2007 Honda Accord EX

The Accord has a nice ride, nice interior, and is conservative looking which is what I like. The stereo is fine for me, has a cool display and offers the 6-CD changer. Cons: Not a V6 so the power isn't exactly there... the V6 gets pricey and if I got it, it'd be the LX. I'd have to consider that. Also, seriously lacking on exterior color choices.

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Love the look, inside and out. Options on the current model can make it pricey. First year run and run with CVT are questionable.

So, what's your take? Is there another car I should consider? To be completely honest, I'm leaning towards the LaCrosse and the Aura. If I get a good deal on any of the others, they'd be pushed to the front.

I'd probably be choosing between the Aura and Altima based on their styling, and it would be down to which car has the finer details right (such as the seat comfort and trim quality).

I wonder if the CVT in the Altima is similar to the one they've had in the Murano.

From the looks of it, you seem to want to spend somewhere in the mid-20s for a car. Of those cars, I like all but the Alt...I'm not convinced of Nissan's reliability and quality. Naturally, I'd hope you'd pick one of the GMs, but there's no denying that the Accord is a good car.

I wouldn't worry too much about the six-speed in the Aura. AFAIK the new RWD six speeds haven't been a problem, and while they share nothing with the FWD trannies, it does give an indication of GM's ability to make relatively bug free trannies the first time.

Have you also considered a Fusion/Milan or 500/Montego? Would you go CPO, as in used CTS, Deville, LeSabre, or PA?

I would say the Lacrosse, Aura, and Accord are the best of those choices. I'm not exactly a fan of the 3800, and the Accord doesn't have enough power (especially with the auto), so I would say go for the Aura.

Since your choices are all FWD and "safe" choices I voted

Impala because it's the least borig IMO. It's grown on me

quite a bit but I'd still take a Charger or 300C over one in

a heartbeat. Shoot I'd take a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis

over it any day.

Paolino:

Tu gia' lo sai quale macchina io ti consigliero di comprare: la LaCrosse!

Seriously, first and foremost, you need a car that will be super dependable given the fact that you watch your $ (or at least I think you do). There is nothing wrong with the 3800. In fact, there is everything right with it! Today, mine will turn over 225,000 miles and it still performs flawlessly. God, I love that damn car. If you are looking for a 10+ year car, this is a good the car for you! As for the height issue, how does that LaX feel? At 5'-10", this is never a concern for me. Isn't L.I. hot and humid in the summers? Do you really want a CXL with the leather? How about a CX with potentially nicer cloth that they may put in there next M.Y.? You can get the Comfort and Convenience package and put some money back in your wallet! Consumer Reports has already given this car a clean bill of health.

The Impala is nice. The mileage is great with the 3.5 Yes, 1 LT and 2 LT have the smaller engine and that's all you need. But, this is a modification of sorts and you should wait another model year to make sure VVT electronics are all worked out.

This may be a nice car for you if you need more space, but you're not even 30 yet, if I recall, so do you want an Impala? (Don't slap me, Scharmer 05!) How about a Monte Carlo without the tacky $h! on it? Or is that too Guido or "spazzatura bianca" for you? It is mechanically identical to the Impala with the same powertrain. Your choice.

The Aura is brand new. I never recommend a new car. I'm too cheap to be someone's guinea pig.

Yeah...yada yada...the Accord is a good car...but it feels SOOOO Japanese. It has also gotten uglier instead of better looking. Don't do it. Buy American.

When will you consummate this purchase? Buona fortuna!

From the looks of it, you seem to want to spend somewhere in the mid-20s for a car. Of those cars, I like all but the Alt...I'm not convinced of Nissan's reliability and quality. Naturally, I'd hope you'd pick one of the GMs, but there's no denying that the Accord is a good car.

I wouldn't worry too much about the six-speed in the Aura. AFAIK the new RWD six speeds haven't been a problem, and while they share nothing with the FWD trannies, it does give an indication of GM's ability to make relatively bug free trannies the first time.

Have you also considered a Fusion/Milan or 500/Montego? Would you go CPO, as in used CTS, Deville, LeSabre, or PA?

I thought about the Fusion/Milan, but I have a problem trusting Ford products--too many people I know with bad stories.

As for the 500/Montego... ugly as sin in my opinion, and I'm sure regfootball would try to convince me against this purchase.

Pauli,

I wouldn't worry about the 6-speed too much.  If there is one thing GM can do and do well, it's an automatic transmission.

I vote:

LAX

Aura

Milan

Cool, wanna buy me one? :) The Milan is the only Ford product I'd actually consider.

Paolino:

Tu gia' lo sai quale macchina io ti consigliero di comprare:  la LaCrosse!

Seriously, first and foremost, you need a car that will be super dependable given the fact that you watch your $ (or at least I think you do).  There is nothing wrong with the 3800.  In fact, there is everything right with it!  Today, mine will turn over 225,000 miles and it still performs flawlessly.  God, I love that damn car.  If you are looking for a 10+ year car, this is a good the car for you!  As for the height issue, how does that LaX feel?  At 5'-10", this is never a concern for me.  Isn't L.I. hot and humid in the summers?  Do you really want a CXL with the leather?  How about a CX with potentially nicer cloth that they may put in there next M.Y.?  You can get the Comfort and Convenience package and put some money back in your wallet!  Consumer Reports has already given this car a clean bill of health.

When will you consummate this purchase?  Buona fortuna!

Yes, Long Island summers are hot and very humid. If I got leather, I'd get remote start. Honestly, I wear pants so often, I really wouldn't worry about burning myself on the leather.

I'm debating on how to go about purchasing the car--should I make it a relatively early purchase, say late October or early November, or should I wait until the end of January. I'm going to be doing a lot of commuting in the fall, and I kinda fall into the category--do I get a new car and move closer to work... or do I get a place closer to work which is ultimately where I want to live, first, and then buy a car maybe in the fall of 2007?

It's tough--will it be cost-effective to keep my car and get a place, or should I wait it out and pray it doesn't become very expensive to maintain my car? Don't forget, if I get a place out east, I still have to furnish it. Hey, Oldsmoboi, wanna come to my housewarming and get me a gift certificate? LOL :lol:

The Milan is the only Ford product I'd actually consider.

Why, because it reminds you of Milano? And thanks for NOT inviting ME to your housewarming party! :angry::lol: Edited by trinacriabob

Personally, I don't care for the LaCrosse or Accord, the Impala's a bit boring for my tastes (unless we're talking SS) and far as the Milan goes, I'd just rather a Fusion.

So that leaves the Aura and Altima.

-I like the exterior styling of both (Altima moreso).

-The interior...they both have their good and not-so-good points.

-The standard V6 in the Aura is a plus and I'd rather have a V6 Altima as opposed to a four-banger one (especially with 265hp).

Basically, I suggest you test drive both and see what you prefer. They're both good choices.

Why, because it reminds you of Milano? And thanks for NOT inviting ME to your housewarming party! :angry:  :lol:

I've never been to Milano. Hey, if you want to treck across the US to come to my "apartment warming party" of a place I don't have yet, along with an enormous amount of married heteros with infants 1.5 years old and younger, be my guest. Oh, and one gay guy.

If you get a Milan, can you drill out the taillamps and relocate them about five inches lower? Then you'll have the only Milan that doesn't piss me off.

Hmmm... no. Not going to be tweaking the car like that--if I got a car, the most I'd do is swap speakers (if it needed it), tint the windows, and if I could customize a few of the messages in the DIC, I'd do something stupid like that.

Hehehe...tweak the DIC

What's even funnier is I didn't get it when you laughed at it--and I was just about to write, "Yeah, tweaking the DIC is more my speed." LOL!! :lol::lol:

Arg. I really wanted a V6. We'll see. I'll have to really test drive some 4's out there--the only 4's I've driven (besides a turbocharged Eclipse), have been loud, rough, whiny, powerless cars. I drove a 2.0L 4 in my 87 Sundance, a 1.9L 4 in my 93 Tracer... when I was a little boy we had an 84 Reliant--that was SO loud on the highway--you had to yell to hold a conversation.

Arg.  I really wanted a V6.  We'll see.  I'll have to really test drive some 4's out there--the only 4's I've driven (besides a turbocharged Eclipse), have been loud, rough, whiny, powerless cars.  I drove a 2.0L 4 in my 87 Sundance, a 1.9L 4 in my 93 Tracer... when I was a little boy we had an 84 Reliant--that was SO loud on the highway--you had to yell to hold a conversation.

You really need to not base your impressing of 4-cylinders on those cars. Really Paulie, those are 3 out of the 4 worst 4cylinders that I can think of off the top of my head. <the 4th being the Quad-4>

You really need to not base your impressing of 4-cylinders on those cars.  Really Paulie, those are 3 out of the 4 worst 4cylinders that I can think of off the top of my head. <the 4th being the Quad-4>

I was impressed with the quietness of the 4-cylinder Accord in my friends' when she had one.

I forgot another 4-cylinder... the Corolla... a 2005 1.8L. Whiny, rough--ugh. Again, want a smooth V6. Not to mention, love tapping the gas and getting up to speed or passing another car. I'm not the type that revs the engine often. Once in a blue moon I'll drive a car hard, but for the most part, I'm a boulevard cruiser.

Above was mentioned the Lucerne. If I got the Lucerne, I'd want the CXL V6 at the least... and that's really pushing past my price.

I could get a CPO, but I'd really like to have a new car--you know, like a really new car.

I'd settle for a leftover 2006 when the 2007's come out, providing it had under 100 miles on it :)

I've never been to Milano.  Hey, if you want to treck across the US to come to my "apartment warming party" of a place I don't have yet, along with an enormous amount of married heteros with infants 1.5 years old and younger, be my guest.  Oh, and one gay guy.

You're not missing much. It's a dingy city that has an unjustified sense of self-importance

You know I'm just kidding with you. Hetero or gay shouldn't be an issue anyway...right? Sometimes, I wonder how well my crap rolls off your back. (Incidentally, our company's controller told me today that I was melodramatic and Italian since I've come unglued a time or two in the office).

Just buy the damn LaCrosse. You know what they say about "first impressions" on a multiple choice test. You've been harping LaCrosse more so than any of those others. After looking at the Aura, it looks like it will have an ugly butt.

Vai. Vai. Compra la Buick.

You know I'm just kidding with you.  Hetero or gay shouldn't be an issue anyway.

It's not that--it's just that sometimes I feel like the loner--the outcast. I'm ALWAYS the odd man out. I am the guy who got couples together. I'm the guy people to go, to talk about their marital problems. I'm the guy they ask to dog sit, to baby sit, etc.

But it's gotten a bit old. Sure, I don't mind doing those things once in a while, but honestly, when's my knight in shining armor going to come? It's about time I have someone to share things in life with--I'm just a bit frustrated that there's no one to celebrate with me.

Sometimes I think if I had more gay friends, things would be a bit different. Then again, they could all be taken, but at least they'd know where I'm coming from.

As for the LaCrosse, I want it, but damn, I SO wish it wasn't an ovoid grille! And the nose is way too long. Eh, those are trivial.

I thought about the Fusion/Milan, but I have a problem trusting Ford products--too many people I know with bad stories.

As for the 500/Montego... ugly as sin in my opinion, and I'm sure regfootball would try to convince me against this purchase.

Cool, wanna buy me one? :)  The Milan is the only Ford product I'd actually consider.

Yes, Long Island summers are hot and very humid.  If I got leather, I'd get remote start.  Honestly, I wear pants so often, I really wouldn't worry about burning myself on the leather. 

I'm debating on how to go about purchasing the car--should I make it a relatively early purchase, say late October or early November, or should I wait until the end of January.  I'm going to be doing a lot of commuting in the fall, and I kinda fall into the category--do I get a new car and move closer to work... or do I get a place closer to work which is ultimately where I want to live, first, and then buy a car maybe in the fall of 2007?

It's tough--will it be cost-effective to keep my car and get a place, or should I wait it out and pray it doesn't become very expensive to maintain my car?  Don't forget, if I get a place out east, I still have to furnish it.  Hey, Oldsmoboi, wanna come to my housewarming and get me a gift certificate? LOL  :lol:

500-wait for the new engine and then it should be fine. if they can't get it all right by 3 model years, they deserve to shut their doors. 60% of my gripes about mine are realted to the engine buzzing and tranny whine which will be replaced.

Fusion/Milan AWD out this fall, new Duratec soon too. Zephyrs been selling like hotcakes here....OOPS, MKZ....

other options......Volvo S60 preowned with 100,000 mile warranty, one year old Grand Prix or Bonneville GXP, G6 GTP. Lucerne. Buick Enclave, CADILLAC CTS. there I said it. Used CTS like one year old without too many options. OOPS, no AWD! chrylser 300, not my cup of tea but some folks like em. Altimas, Maximas.

You will be very surprised how much your notions will change once you start test driving cars. It will become much clearer. Example, when the Mazda6 came out, due to the hype I was all gung ho on getting one. Then I drove one and was not that impressed with the engine or overall solidity of the car. It felt cheap. Total, I've test driven the Mazda6 4 times and every time it impresses me less and less.

Edited by regfootball

Judging by your comments, it sounds like your tastes & mine are similar. If it were me buying, I'd go with either the LaCrosse or the Accord. The Aura is a new model (isn't it? Not sure considering where it's coming from.) Being a new model, if it is, they usually have more problems than 2nd or 3rd year models... gotta get those bugs out of the system. The LaCrosse is a handsome car & is even recommended by ConsumerReports. Buick is also towards the top of JD's VDS, so I doubt you'd have any reliability issues. I've read reports on the V6 in the LaCrosse that say it's rough & noisey... if so, they must have some awesome sound deadening, because I couldn't hear it when I rode in one.

The Accord is always a reliable, if dull, car. Aftermarket parts are available all over the place & are often cheap, so if you do go with the 4 banger, there are a million ways to make it less sluggish... which, of course, it is. I throw the Accord out there because that's what I'd look at first (I've owned a few.) But, with Buick making such good cars, you'd be silly not to consider it.

The Aura... we own a Saturn & we hate it. Of course, the Aura has virtually nothing to do with the Saturns of Tennessee. Previous attempts to re-badge European built 'domestic' brands have been huge failures, so the Aura certainly has an uphill battle... not sure I'd gamble on it.

Well, the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the Aura and the LaCrosse. I would LOVE a CXS, but to get a brand-new one, it'd be too expensive for me. I also hope they keep the Slatestone Metallic color around for another year--the LaCrosse looks sweet in that color--it's the perfect combination of gray and blue. That, with a black interior. That's beautiful.

The Aura is a slightly polished G6/9-3.  The only thing really new about it is the 6-speed.  Everything else is parts bin.

I thought the Aura was an Opel... duh. :duh:

I also hope they keep the Slatestone Metallic color around for another year--the LaCrosse looks sweet in that color--it's the perfect combination of gray and blue.  That, with a black interior.  That's beautiful.

Disagree. I think it might look better with the neutral (tan) interior. Black interiors either go with a black exterior or a lighter exterior colors to set it off. Those two drown each other out.

Funny. I was going to do the exact same poll for my own purposes.

Unfortunately, I voted for the Accord. Mostly because it will last you a long time and it has a sweet interior. Better then the other vehicles offered on the poll. I sat in one about a month ago for the first time. Really attractive. Too bad I can't say the same about the exterior. But remember, you're going to see the interior far more often then the exterior so I guess that matters more.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Unfortunately, I voted for the Accord.  Mostly because it will last you a long time and it has a sweet interior.  Better then the other vehicles offered on the poll.  I sat in one about a month ago for the first time.  Really attractive.  Too bad I can't say the same about the exterior.  But remember, you're going to see the interior far more often then the exterior so I guess that matters more.

True... and I love the Accord interior--however, the V6 LX starts at $25,000.00--if I want any options tacked on, it bumps the price up considerably--not to mention, deep down, I really want American.

However, I hate to say this, if I find an awesome deal (and I mean AWESOME) on an EX (4 cylinder Accord), I'm probably going to get it.

Hi, I'm stupid.

:wavey:

Hi stupid, how are you?

You know what's a car I REALLY want that I see on the road and just say, "God, if I only had that car... every commute would be heaven."?

An Audi A8L

Yeah, I know, kinda out of my price range. But damn, if there ever was a car I wanted! Oh, that and a Mark VIII--I had a major obsession with that in the mid 90's.

Last-gen A8s are relatively cheap used, although I'm not sure how reliable they are. You could always buy an extended warranty.

Here's an '01 A8L with 60K miles for $20K in NY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Audi-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

The late90's and after A8's had big problems with trannies. they are 10 grand to replace and borke often. I at one time was looking at them and that's where i found that out.

paulie, i think the vibe I am getting from your posts is you would prefer the LaCrosse to the Aura in the end but that you are very much intrigued by the 07 Altima.

You're right... honestly, if I test drive the 07 Altima, it's quiet, smooth, and the 4 is decently powerful (which I assume it will be), and I can tolerate driving a CVT (I can't stand my friend's in the Prius), and the price is fair, I'd very much consider it.

You're right... honestly, if I test drive the 07 Altima, it's quiet, smooth, and the 4 is decently powerful (which I assume it will be), and I can tolerate driving a CVT (I can't stand my friend's in the Prius), and the price is fair, I'd very much consider it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now, to make things clear, I'm not saying that buying an Altima would be on the same level as joining the Taliban, selling secrets to the Soviets, or turning in the Son of God, but their pictures are there, and...well...so is yours.

Just think about it.

:pbjtime:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now, to make things clear, I'm not saying that buying an Altima would be on the same level as joining the Taliban, selling secrets to the Soviets, or turning in the Son of God, but their pictures are there, and...well...so is yours.

Just think about it.

:pbjtime:

WOW. :blink:

*clears thoughts of imports out of head*