LCD, PLASMA, or DLP/LCD PROJECTION?

What type of TV do you think is the best way to go right now?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What type of TV do you think is the best way to go right now?

• LCD HDTV
    • Plasma HDTV
    • Projection (DLP, LCD etc.) HDTV
    • Classic CRT in widescreen HDTV

Well, My main 26" tv in the bedroom is about 14-15 years old and runs great, but we have no TV in the living room and the wife wants one, to get the kid out of the kitchen where our cheap 20" tv is. We have NO full height wall space in the living room, but we do have a pseudo mantel above the gas fireplace in the center of the wall. There is a wall with the window sill at 60" and room for a TV or cabinet below, buit its in the corner kind of.

I originally though 1000 bucks would do it, now I'm not sure. Might take 2 grand. I'd like to try to get at least 37-40" atop the fireplace. Might have to settle for 32". Could go 50" proj TV if i go below the side windows.

Considering all the tech advances and all the different ways to feed a tv, and the future considerations, what would you buy if you had the same dilemma?

Edited by regfootball

Since I anchor the "low tech" segment of the C&G population and I have the conventional stuff throughout, I'd say let your wallet decide. I don't like contraptions that are big, expensive and scream "conspicuous consumption." You're an archi, so your sense of style/scale will also tell you what looks good in the room(s).

Plasma's lamp life is 50,000 hours. That is 17 years if you watch your TV 8 hours a day - more than most people do.

My last TV was a 50" Hitachi that I bought in 1994. It was a rear projection and although the lenses got dirty and the colors faded a little, it has played flawlessly. If you seroiusly plan to get 10+ years out of year TV, don't compomise.

DLP is just a mid-step. With Plasm and LCD, you can go with a bigger screen (42"+) and not have it dominate the room. When I bought my 50", it sat in a 22X14 family room; now I live in a condo. The TV cabinet is just too big. It dominates the room.

Buy as much as you can afford. You will be living with it for more than a decade.

the LCD's look crisper, but the plasmas look brighter.

To me some of the older LCD's looked far to pixelated, but I can see where progress is being made.

I have heard the plasmas wash out more in daylight and that the LCD's are more consistent in varying daylight conditions.

The cheap LCD's are much cheaper. The really good LCD's and plasmas are darn close in price. The DLP's look better than both, at least when the light is close and you are head on.

I could get a 32" westinghouse and it won't break me. I want a 37-40". That in a good brand could get spendy. What I see is a lot of TV's yet are not digital cable ready and you pay through the nose for that 2nd HDMI input.

This topic drives me nuts!

Our 35" Mitsubishi (family room) is 17 years old and on it's last legs. My step-son took his 32" Mitsubishi out of our basement (family room) when he moved out about a month ago. (The move was a win, the TV was a loss.)

So now I need two TV's. Sam's club has some nice 32" LCD's and 42" Plasma's. Best buy has the 42" Pioneer I want, but it's at least $1K more than a 42" Panasonic. The more I look, the more confused I get.

Plasma was the best about a year ago, with darker blacks, but it had some burn-in problems. LCD's blurred fast moving objects and didn't have the deep blacks of plasma. Now the Best buy people tell me that both problems have been corrected.

I'll probably get a 32" or 37" LCD for the basement and a 42" or 50" plasma for the family room. AT Sam's I have to pay cash, best buy has a 18 month, no interest deal if you get a best buy credit card.

In addition, my wife's nephew is in the hospital and will come to stay with us for a week (basement), so my wife has given me orders to get the basement TV by Friday.

What shall I do?

Have fun Reg, your choice may be the easiest.

heads up research "Blue-Ray" technology, major companies such as sony are converting to this, which is crap in my mind. i think 2 other companies are going with it, but any of the production companies for movies that touches these companies will make blue ray dvds which can only be watched on a blue ray dvd player, which can only be hooked up to a blue ray tv. like the beta max fight but bigger...there are even rumors about the upcoming PS3 being blue ray. now some newer tvs have the special hook up, so keep an eye out.

as far as what type it depends, color and detail will be HD or plasma. but space, price and size will change with type. you can get a bigger HD tv for cheaper, but it takes up more room. plasma can get you less space, but it will be smaller for the same you pay for a larger HD.

This topic drives me nuts!

Our 35" Mitsubishi (family room) is 17 years old and on it's last legs. My step-son took his 32" Mitsubishi out of our basement (family room) when he moved out about a month ago. (The move was a win, the TV was a loss.)

So now I need two TV's.  Sam's club has some nice 32" LCD's and 42" Plasma's. Best buy has the 42" Pioneer I want, but it's at least $1K more than a 42" Panasonic. The more I look, the more confused I get.

Plasma was the best about a year ago, with darker blacks, but it had some burn-in problems. LCD's blurred fast moving objects and didn't have the deep blacks of plasma. Now the Best buy people tell me that both problems have been corrected.

I'll probably get a 32" or 37" LCD for the basement and a 42" or 50" plasma for the family room. AT Sam's I have to pay cash, best buy has a 18 month, no interest deal if you get a best buy credit card.

In addition, my wife's nephew is in the hospital and will come to stay with us for a week (basement), so my wife has given me orders to get the basement TV by Friday.

What shall I do?

Have fun Reg, your choice may be the easiest.

let me know what you get and whether you like it!

Although I now have a laptop, my old computer (still being used every day by family) had one of the first IBM LCD monitors made for home use. It's about 7 years old, and it still works like a charm.

I'd go with LCD because it uses less energy, and is reliable if it's from a reputed brand.

Go to Cnet because they do reviews on everything electronic, and they always have top tens. Your next TV could be there.

I love my DLP. It's a LG 52"er. I've had it about a year and a half and have loved every bit of it. It fits easily anywhere and only weighs about 80 pounds so it easy to move around. I have it in my basement. I don't know how well it would work in a very well lit room, but it works well in the basement with only a few windows.

i said plasma just for couple reasons, space, they're much better than lcd's in terms of contrast and color, and progressive display v crts.

on the otherhand, a crt could be the way to go till next year when the SED tvs should be out,if you're not familiar w/ this, it's all the positives of crt, but very thin, maybe as much as 1/3 less energy used than a plasma, and COULD undercut the other technologies price per inch above 40".

SED uses an electron emitter for each color of each pixel, meaning no backlight needed (LCD) and contrast ratios, with HDR supported, towards the millions.

Posted Image

http://www.i4u.com/article3233.html

I love my DLP.  It's a LG 52"er.  I've had it about a year and a half and have loved every bit of it.  It fits easily anywhere and only weighs about 80 pounds so it easy to move around.  I have it in my basement.  I don't know how well it would work in a very well lit room, but it works well in the basement with only a few windows.

you get it at Best buy? I worked at the Best Buy in Moorhead in college, a long time ago. I might still know or two guys at the FGO BBY.

I can't say. I don't watch enough TV to really justify spending an exhorbant amount of money on one. I mostly use my computer with an ATI TV Wonder tuner that came with a remote. When this 17" CRT goes, I'll probably get a 19" or 21" LCD, depending on what's affordable at the time.

Not sure if they are actually out yet, but this is certainly one technology to look at:

http://www.vixlim.com/

It's a CRT with the thickness of an LCD. Looks promising that it provides the same quality as a CRT, since it is a CRT.

EDIT: I think this is the one...

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/slimfithdtv/index.asp

Edited by ToniCipriani

Not sure if they are actually out yet, but this is certainly one technology to look at:

http://www.vixlim.com/

It's a CRT with the thickness of an LCD. Looks promising that it provides the same quality as a CRT, since it is a CRT.

EDIT: I think this is the one...

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/slimfithdtv/index.asp

163560[/snapback]

toni,

your second link is just a regular crt that could be 15"deep as aposed to more like 30" deep. :duh::lol2::lol:

see my post on page 1 about crts w/ lcd thinkness. aka SED TVs

I bought a 32" Sharp LCD TV at Best Buy yesterday. It was $1200 and included a $100 rebate on upgrading to Comcast digital TV.

I liked the looks of a Sony and a Samsung better, but the Sharp picture was just as good and was $300 less than the Samsung and $600 less than the Sony.

The setup was real easy and I picked up some digital signals (high def) I didn't know I had on my cable. The remote has so many buttons it'll take a while to figure them out, but I watched one of the wide screen movies I've been buying lately (Mr 3000) and it was pretty good.

I can see that I'll need a 42" to 50" for the family room. Still don't know if Plasma or LCD is best. The more I talk to the sales people at Best Buy or Circuit City, the more confused I get.

I'm going up to Oshkosh, Wi today, to do some prep work for the big airshow at the end of the month, so my wife and her nephew will get to really use the new TV before me. It should be interesting since she hates remotes more than anyone else I know. I'll probably have to reprogram the TV when I get home Sunday.

for real good reviews of tvs, robert heron at least used to work for pc magazine and reviewed all thier hdtv's that went though their labs. might be a good resource for finding what you need / want... happy hunting :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

well, was shopping again today.

i think plasma has better picture for movies etc.

LCD is still sharper but not much depth. the samsung and LG LCD's are good.

only a handful of sets display 1080p. I might want blu-ray or HD DVD so i think i want that.

the plasmas that are only 768 pixels high seem to have great pictures.

i think i should wait.

• 1 month later...

ok, i've been shopping a lot lately and this is what I've found

Plasma still has a better pic for movies and sports. It may get washed out in daylight some, but if you're smart you have your tv in a room that can be darkened to watch movies.

LCD looks good up to about 26" and then its pixels start looking to big.

there is a wide variation in the quality of LCD's. Plasmas are a lot closer.

1080p is fairly available in LCD. I saw the world's first plasma 1080p today ta BBY/Magnolia. it was 10 grand and is not otherwise prevalent.

its generally suggested to not hook plasma up to a computer.

according to some, burn in still exists in plasmas.

LCD"s are lighter and more user friendly but look dull and flat.

Samsung is the class of LCD's. LG, JVC, Sharp all look pretty good though.

Many different plasmas look good. 50 inch is a great plasma size. lots of manufacturer's plasmas look good.

Ambilight ont he Phillips TV's are a nice feature.

Plasma is heavier, runs hotter on more power.

so after all this i think I may wait till next year to get one. New and cheaper always happens and the new Mac computers get announded in a week so I htink I will blow my slush fund on that.

Edited by regfootball

Wow reg, you're like the last person I figure'd who use Apple computers.

My family knows only know two couples that have Apple, and one votes for Canada's Green Party, and the other couple live in Australia and don't eat any product that comes from an animal and collect their own rainwater.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Ok here is how you decide on what technology of TV to buy, from a professional (I now work at BBY in the home theater department and I formerly worked at CC doing the same thing.)

First decide where you are going to be putting the TV. If it is on the wall then you need to go either flat panel LCD or Plasma. If not go LCD rear projection or DLP rear projection.

Here is why: sure you may get a slightly better picture on a 1080p plasma or LCD flat panel over a DLP or LCD projection BUT it will cost you a few thousand dollars more for the same size. Is the cost of entry really worth that if you do not take advantage of the main selling point of a LCD or Plasma, that being that you can hang it on a wall?

For most people who want a good size TV for their main room a DLP or LCD projection will work more than well enough. There are both 720p and 1080p DLP and LCD projection sets out there, as well as LCD flat panel and Plasma units.

If you are going to buy a flat panel TV here are a few general things that people notice when they look at LCD vs Plasma TVs.

1. Plasmas have better blacks, and usually better contrast ratios. What you see is a greater difference between the black to white level on most Plasma units than on LCD flat panels.

2. LCDs typically have just as good if not better colors than Plasmas. Most people remark when comparing similar size/equipped LCDs vs Plasmas that the LCDs colors seem more natural.

3. What size do you want may determine which technology you go with. Plasmas are easier/less expensive to make in large sizes, above 40 inches. Whereas Flat panel LCDs are more expensive to make in larger sizes, why the majority of the "inexpensive" 40 inch plus TVs are plasma.

If you are looking between LCD rear projection and DLP rear projection here are some things you will notice:

1. DLPs have better black levels than LCD projection sets. This is because the DLPs aren't reflecting light into the black space whereas in the LCD units some light will pass through the panels in the black areas.

2. Once again LCD projections, like LCD flat panels, are said to have better colors than DLPs (by most people).

3. Rainbow effects are seen by a small percentage of the population on some DLP sets, I don't see it so I don't know what it looks like. If you see it when you look at the sets in the stores then don't buy a DLP because you may see it on the one you get at your house.

Reg for your situation I would suggest a 1080p, over a 720p unit because picture crispness seems very important to you, DLP rear projection set. The DLP units typically look better in high ambient light areas than LCD projection units and with the better black levels you will see greater contrast than most LCD projection units. JVC makes some great models that come with a stand, so you don't have to buy one of those also. With them being a V backed design it should fit into your corner with little problem. Remember that the light element will go out after a few years and factor that into your cost of ownership, I will not say weather or not a particular service plan is a good idea but both CC's and BBY's service plans will cover replacing it at least once. If you don't like the JVC you can look into Samsung (one of the first DLP TV makers) Toshiba, or Mitsubishi (always makes good looking sets).

If you have anymore questions I will be happy to answer them. :)

The wife and I are considering an LCD or Plasmas flat panel, rear projections are just too big for our little apartment plus we don't like the view-angle issues with RP TVs. From what I've seen, and I work at CompUSA installing home theaters, among other things, Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Phillips, and HP are probably the best when it comes to either technology. Sharp Aquos LCDs in particular seem to be the best LCDs. Samsung plasmas are really good, as well.

We'll probably end up getting a 35-42". I get everything at cost through CompUSA, so it allows for bigger TVs since that usually means about 25% off MSRP. I'll let you know what we end up getting, if we make a decision soon.

Wow reg, you're like the last person I figure'd who use Apple computers.

My family knows only know two couples that have Apple, and one votes for Canada's Green Party, and the other couple live in Australia and don't eat any product that comes from an animal and collect their own rainwater.

189553[/snapback]

it would be my first mac at home. in college i used macs and also in my first job out of college.

i am tired of windows and all its crap. i want my computer at home to work. windows is still not designed for real everyday people to use.

Edited by regfootball

Ok here is how you decide on what technology of TV to buy, from a professional (I now work at BBY in the home theater department and I formerly worked at CC doing the same thing.)

First decide where you are going to be putting the TV.  If it is on the wall then you need to go either flat panel LCD or Plasma.  If not go LCD rear projection or DLP rear projection.

Here is why:  sure you may get a slightly better picture on a 1080p plasma or LCD flat panel over a DLP or LCD projection BUT it will cost you a few thousand dollars more for the same size.  Is the cost of entry really worth that if you do not take advantage of the main selling point of a LCD or Plasma, that being that you can hang it on a wall? 

For most people who want a good size TV for their main room a DLP or LCD projection will work more than well enough.  There are both 720p and 1080p DLP and LCD projection sets out there, as well as LCD flat panel and Plasma units.

If you are going to buy a flat panel TV here are a few general things that people notice when they look at LCD vs Plasma TVs.

1. Plasmas have better blacks, and usually better contrast ratios.  What you see is a greater difference between the black to white level on most Plasma units than on LCD flat panels.

2. LCDs typically have just as good if not better colors than Plasmas.  Most people remark when comparing similar size/equipped LCDs vs Plasmas that the LCDs colors seem more natural.

3. What size do you want may determine which technology you go with.  Plasmas are easier/less expensive to make in large sizes, above 40 inches.  Whereas Flat panel LCDs are more expensive to make in larger sizes, why the majority of the "inexpensive" 40 inch plus TVs are plasma.

If you are looking between LCD rear projection and DLP rear projection here are some things you will notice:

1.  DLPs have better black levels than LCD projection sets.  This is because the DLPs aren't reflecting light into the black space whereas in the LCD units some light will pass through the panels in the black areas.

2.  Once again LCD projections, like LCD flat panels, are said to have better colors than DLPs (by most people).

3.  Rainbow effects are seen by a small percentage of the population on some DLP sets, I don't see it so I don't know what it looks like.  If you see it when you look at the sets in the stores then don't buy a DLP because you may see it on the one you get at your house.

Reg for your situation I would suggest a 1080p, over a 720p unit because picture crispness seems very important to you, DLP rear projection set.  The DLP units typically look better in high ambient light areas than LCD projection units and with the better black levels you will see greater contrast than most LCD projection units.  JVC makes some great models that come with a stand, so you don't have to buy one of those also.  With them being a V backed design it should fit into your corner with little problem.  Remember that the light element will go out after a few years and factor that into your cost of ownership, I will not say weather or not a particular service plan is a good idea but both CC's and BBY's service plans will cover replacing it at least once.  If you don't like the JVC you can look into Samsung (one of the first DLP TV makers) Toshiba, or Mitsubishi (always makes good looking sets).

If you have anymore questions I will be happy to answer them. :)

189623[/snapback]

thanks. hey i worked at a best buy for 5 years in college.

anyways. i will post a pic later of our space. We have a shallow mantel above our fireplace we envision as the spot for our tv. IF we put a DLP on the floor we have to remove furniture. any plasma over 42" would also have to go on the floor.

our living room is 2 stories high and had over 200 square feet of window glass with wood blinds over it.

I have my sights set on the Westinghouse 1080p monitor if i go LCD. Its gotten good reviews and I can afford it.

I really do want to use this tv with a computer, but i don't like the way the large LCD's look. arg.

Edited by regfootball

Is that this one?  If so that seems like a pretty good deal.  And yes Samsung does make some really good looking plasma and LCD TVs.

189726[/snapback]

Hell, they have a FIFTY inch Zenith (which is just a rebadged LG) on sale for $1900 retail.

Zenith 50" Plasma

My cost on it is $1700. Thats a good freakin deal. LCDs for the same price, retail, are 10 inches smaller. Although, the Zenith is a monstrous 115 lbs. :o

you get it at Best buy?  I worked at the Best Buy in Moorhead in college, a long time ago.  I might still know or two guys at the FGO BBY.

163486[/snapback]

I never saw this way back when, but yeah I did get it at BB, but I got it up in Grand Forks, because I knew a chick that worked there that bought it with her discount....gotta love screwin over BB. I do know a few of the guys that work at the Fargo BB, I worked there for a few months during high school.

Hell, they have a FIFTY inch Zenith (which is just a rebadged LG) on sale for $1900 retail.

Zenith 50" Plasma

My cost on it is $1700.  Thats a good freakin deal.  LCDs for the same price, retail, are 10 inches smaller.  Although, the Zenith is a monstrous 115 lbs.   :o

189743[/snapback]

i have seen in the owner reports how that 50" zenith is an LG and is a SMOKING deal and a very good tv.

I got a micro center ad in the mail today. The Hitachi 42" plasma with 1080i is around 1800.

Edited by regfootball

I never saw this way back when, but yeah I did get it at BB, but I got it up in Grand Forks, because I knew a chick that worked there that bought it with her discount....gotta love screwin over BB.  I do know a few of the guys that work at the Fargo BB, I worked there for a few months during high school.

189951[/snapback]

my folks live in forks. the bby in GF is actually one of my favorites, not so huge, easy to get to.

My old Mitsubishi 35" (upstairs family room) quit in late July, so I needed a second TV three weeks after getting the Sharp LCD for the basement rec room. My wife's sister and her husband were coming for a visit and we needed a TV upstairs.

I finally bought a 42" Samsung Plasma at Best Buy. I wanted a Pioneer, but the Samsung (all black frame around the picture) looked much better in our family room. I asked for a deal price, since I had just bought the Sharp and they gave me an extra $200 off the sale price.

A 42" set works fine for us as most seating is about 12 feet from the TV. 50" would be too big for our family room.

Since the relatives were coming, I thought I'd speed up delivery of the digital cable box by going to the Comcast store and picking one up. BIG MISTAKE. When I couldn't get it to work, I called Comcast and got an installer to come out. He turned the cable box over and showed me the "Defective Box" sticker on the bottom, THANKS COMCAST!

Then he hooked up a good cable box and said he would get Comcast to credit me for the missing days of service. They did.

The Samsung is great, better than the LCD for general viewing. The LCD is better for my Grandson's movies (Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, etc.). I still can't get the VHS side of my tape decks to play on either set, while the DVD side works. I'm using audio cables and a S-VHS connector on both TV's. I don't know what's wrong.

Since I'm retired, buying two TV's at the same time put a nice dent in my savings, but what the heck. I just have to drive the 03' CTS another year longer.

I still can't get the VHS side of my tape decks to play on either set, while the DVD side works. I'm using audio cables and a S-VHS connector on both TV's. I don't know what's wrong. 

190013[/snapback]

Plug a yellow composite cable into the Combo DVD/VCR units and run it to the TV. S-video outputs typically only work on the DVD side, not VCR.

Plug a yellow composite cable into the Combo DVD/VCR units and run it to the TV.  S-video outputs typically only work on the DVD side, not VCR.

190049[/snapback]

Thanks,

I had it that way before I switched TV's and one worked (both VHS and DVD) and the other only worked on DVD. I'll pick up a good quality audio (red/white) cable and a similar video (yellow) tomorrow. It won't hurt to try it again. The connection diagrams from the cable box, DVD/VHS and TV really suck.

My old Mitsubishi 35" (upstairs family room) quit in late July, so I needed a second TV three weeks after getting the Sharp LCD for the basement rec room. My wife's sister and her husband were coming for a visit and we needed a TV upstairs.

I finally bought a 42" Samsung Plasma at Best Buy. I wanted a Pioneer, but the Samsung (all black frame around the picture) looked much better in our family room. I asked for a deal price, since I had just bought the Sharp and they gave me an extra $200 off the sale price.

A 42" set works fine for us as most seating is about 12 feet from the TV. 50" would be too big for our family room.

Since the relatives were coming, I thought I'd speed up delivery of the digital cable box by going to the Comcast store and picking one up. BIG MISTAKE. When I couldn't get it to work, I called Comcast and got an installer to come out. He turned the cable box over and showed me the "Defective Box" sticker on the bottom,  THANKS COMCAST!

Then he hooked up a good cable box and said he would get Comcast to credit me for the missing days of service. They did.

The Samsung is great, better than the LCD for general viewing. The LCD is better for my Grandson's movies (Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, etc.). I still can't get the VHS side of my tape decks to play on either set, while the DVD side works. I'm using audio cables and a S-VHS connector on both TV's. I don't know what's wrong. 

Since I'm retired, buying two TV's at the same time put a nice dent in my savings, but what the heck. I just have to drive the 03' CTS another year longer.

190013[/snapback]

doesn't the samsung plasma have special burn in protection technology?

Removing the S-VHS cable and replacing the old component cables (red, white and yellow) worked. Now both decks play DVD's and VHS tapes.

Reg -

The Samsung instruction book warns that leaving the TV in 4:3 mode for more than 2 hours may cause an image to be burned into the screen. So I guess it doesn't have burn-in protection.

The LCD is actually clearer viewing normal TV programs, Plasma is really great in digital and HD.

Removing the S-VHS cable and replacing the old component cables (red, white and yellow) worked. Now both decks play DVD's and VHS tapes.

Reg -

The Samsung instruction book warns that leaving the TV in 4:3 mode for more than 2 hours may cause an image to be burned into the screen. So I guess it doesn't have burn-in protection.

The LCD is actually clearer viewing normal TV programs, Plasma is really great in digital and HD.

190686[/snapback]

What happened with my friend's tv... he has an 65" Mitsubishi HDTV... brilliantly clear. But, we scaled the programming back to 4:3 ratio (causing the black bars on the sides)... the reverse happened:

The black bars are not burned in, but rather the center image of the 4:3 ratio has worn down the pixels or such--the two side bars pictures are much brighter than the picture in the middle--like two whiter stripes going down the sides when viewing HD programming or a widescreen DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

looking again yesterday at circuit city. the plasmas really rock. the only LCD's that can seriously challenge the plasmas are the samsungs. In fact, I think its fair to say that Samsung is the best TV maker overall. All their products are excellent.

However, some of the other LCD's might be acceptable. I was actually impressed with the 32 and 37 inch polaroids for the price.

I want plasma. Wife doesn't want bigger than 42" inches though. I want the Zenith 50" plasma, otherwise the Phillips, Hitachi, or Samsung or LG plasmas would work.

I like the Phillips Ambilight feature.

They had a bluray disc hooked up to a 1080p DLP sony. It looked like crap, honestly.

Edited by regfootball