This is the best camo GM could have done for the Super...looks like nothing more than a regular LaCrosse with aftermarket rims and exhaust tips.

I really hope that GM differentiates the Super from the other LaCrosses by more than just 'Super' and 'V8' badges and four portholes on each side. And those rims look really bad on the LaCrosse...

Buick should dust off the GS moniker, round the horsepower down to and even 300 and maket it as the LaCrosse GS 300. Then everyone would understand that they are trying to be the American Lexus. They could even dust off the upgrade moniker they used for a while in the 70s and call it the LaCross Luxus GS 300, then there could be no confusion.

But seriously, I agree, this car needs a redesign to be taken serioulsy. I'm OK with performance Buicks having a sleeper look to them. It fits with the image that they once had, and I think they want back. of oppulance without decidence, but the LaCrosse isn't just a sleeper, its comatose. Even the derivative styling of the Chinese LaCrosse would make it at least look contemporary and plain.

I test drove a LaCrosse shortly after they were introduced and was pretty impressed with the dynamics and the fit and finish, but the styling is so dull that I couldn't part with the cash to buy a better Buick.

I just hope the Enclave is a glimpse into what they are willing to do with styling, then I might be able to see my self in a Buick again.

Why are the port-holes taped over? Aren't they just decorative anyway?

163590[/snapback]

I guess that GM thought that a lot of people would have noticed 4 portholes on each side of the car denoting an 8-cylinder engine and figure that it wasn't your garden variety LaCrosse.

I guess that GM thought that a lot of people would have noticed 4 portholes on each side of the car denoting an 8-cylinder engine and figure that it wasn't your garden variety LaCrosse.

163610[/snapback]

Well, with an exhaust like that and chevy wheels measuring 18"s, I really don't think portholes are a big deal.

It's so silly they're waiting another year for this thing.

Ermm...but they aren't.

163614[/snapback]

I guess the tape made it appear that way.

It looks like they're aligned along the front-door's panel-gap.

That's not a 2008. That's probably just a 2007 with some masking.

Those 2 photos reinforce what I think about the car:

Great side profile

Great rear end

Bad front grille

You won't be catching many younger buyers with such a grille.

Oh well.

screw the 300hp V8 and drop in the 300hp DI 3.6

enough of the w-body V8's.

163572[/snapback]

Why bother with V6s when DOD V8s deliver similar fuel

efficiency with much better power & smooth, silky ease?

I like the port holes but god dang I still hate the nose of

the LaCrosse... it looks so damn "1997". :(

Lacrosse Super is a 2008 MY.

163662[/snapback]

I know. But look at how boring (relatively speaking) that one is...it looks like the more basic models.

And, isn't LaCrosse/Allure supposed to get an all new grille (which is a drastic improvement and makes the car more youthful and competitive against its "enemies") as shown on other threads? If that's the case, when is THAT supposed to happen?

I know.  But look at how boring (relatively speaking) that one is...it looks like the more basic models.

And, isn't LaCrosse/Allure supposed to get an all new grille (which is a drastic improvement and makes the car more youthful and competitive against its "enemies") as shown on other threads?  If that's the case, when is THAT supposed to happen?

163793[/snapback]

That's why this thread was titled, "Buick LaCrosse Super Mule". They're just testing out the mechanics under the hood without showing off the new look.

My question - does this mean the ventiports have some sort of functionality to them? If not, why even drill them on a mule?

163800[/snapback]

I was wondering that myself. It'd be nice to see it in there with a 6A (I know that's not going to happen).

Is the new grille the one shown a few months back in the spy shots?

163809[/snapback]

I believe so, yes.

I like the port holes but god dang I still hate the nose of

the LaCrosse... it looks so damn "1997". :(

163774[/snapback]

cause if Buick is seriously going to target lexus and the like then a DOHC is the way to go, not a pushrod V8. Pontiac and Chevy can get away with it, but Buick shouldn't have to.

oh, and the 3.8, as much as I love it, should be dropped from the Lucerne and replaced with the 3.6.

also, cramming that V8 in there isn't going to amount to any significant increase in sales of the LaCrosse, IMO.

Looks just like the current, tiring (but still pleasant with that good old American feel-which may be a detriment in some cases) LaCrosse. Wasn't Super supposed to get a different grille?

The 2008 Lacrosse Super does get a new grill and some other upgrades. This car is a powertrain mule and doesn't reflect any of that yet other than the 4 portholes.

163798[/snapback]

To Brenda's prodigy and P from Long Island:

See, you learn something NEW every day. I now know what a MULE is. If I was out of it or uncool before for NOT knowing, am I at least a LITTLE BIT COOLER now that I know this jargon? :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks. Can't wait to see the LaX in 2008 get-up.

To Brenda's prodigy and P from Long Island:

See, you learn something NEW every day.  I now know what a MULE is.  If I was out of it or uncool before for NOT knowing, am I at least a LITTLE BIT COOLER now that I know this jargon?  :AH-HA_wink:

163960[/snapback]

No, still terribly uncool. :P :AH-HA_wink:

Lacrosse Super is a 2008 MY.

163662[/snapback]

I'm wondering why they are dragging the V8 LaCrosse intro out so long..the GP got the V8 in MY 05 and the Impala in MY 06..

Edited by moltar

Very early in the '08 MY though. I forget when exactly production starts, but Im pretty sure it is the first quarter of 2007.

164037[/snapback]

hmm..gm oshawa plant right? Concievably, if I went and snooped around, could/would I see any? I currently wont have transportation there for a few months, but by the time that time comes, it'll be near first quarter 2007....

Also, can they catch me? I've been around there before with my cousin. But I dont think we really caught anyones attention...there was a bunch of people looking at us as we drove by in the parkinglots...but I dont think they really did anythign but give us dirty looks. :lol:

Bah, i'll probably never get around to it anyway....

Why on God's Green Earth do we have to wait until the '08 MY for a LaCrosse Super that basically mimics what we already have in Chevy and Pontiac showrooms?

164552[/snapback]

So GM can make it look like a proper Buick.

http://news.u-car.com.tw/news-detail.asp?nid=4431

But to bad the Chinese got the proper Buick first.

http://news.u-car.com.tw/news-detail.asp?nid=4075

Edited by evok

The V8 will:

1) Added weight over the front wheels.

2) Torque steer that really cannot be dialed out with wheel combinations.

3) Reduced crashworthiness.

4) Will deliver less real world fuel economy

Note: I doubt you have driven either the 3.6 or a W with an 8 therefore I take your power & smooth, silky easy statement as an unverified opinion.

1) Added weight over the front wheels.

Yes.

2) Torque steer that really cannot be dialed out with wheel combinations.

From all I've heard, the torque steer is not as bad as one would imagine and if anything, on par with less powerful FWD V6s from other manufacturers

3) Reduced crashworthiness.

Wouldn't the opposite be true? I believe another thread mentioned the SS Impala tested better than the V6? Or am I mistaken...

4) Will deliver less real world fuel economy

True.

From all I've heard, the torque steer is not as bad as one would imagine and if anything, on par with less powerful FWD V6s from other manufacturers

Wouldn't the opposite be true? I believe another thread mentioned the SS Impala tested better than the V6? Or am I mistaken...

True.

164572[/snapback]

Real world torque steer is not going to be eliminated especially once the weather gets sloppy. The power curve of the V6 and I was looking at the current 3.6 would also help with that.

No the SS did worse in the IIHS offset test last I looked at the results. The added chunk of metal up front appears to add stiffness and reduce crush in the test. IIHS no longer publishes the crash data (I think) so I do not know much or where the dummy injury measurements differs.

Edited by evok

The C&D review of the GXP said the torque steer wasn't too bad, though they attributed it to the wider front tires, possibly also the Bilsteins, I dont have the review in front of me. Edmunds has torque steer listed as a con.

No the SS did worse in the IIHS offset test last I looked at the results.  The added chunk of metal up front appears to add stiffness and reduce crush in the test.  IIHS no longer publishes the crash data (I think) so I do not know much or where the dummy injury measurements differs.

164578[/snapback]

I see now. You're right, and they do...

LARGE FAMILY CARS FRONTAL OFFSET CRASH TEST DETAILS

Being a current W-body owner I feel validated in saying this seems a ho-hum, half-hearted effort of 'beefing' up buick's image if this is all they are doing. The lacrosse's styling is too tame for the market that Buick is going after. There is no 'bling' factor like w/the Enclave. There is no loyalist factor like with the Lucerne. The lacrosse simply seems to be buick's me-too car for the mid sized segment. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad car, but it does little to gain the brand favor with those who have never experienced buick.

Now it seems buick is ignoring the styling problem and instead dropping a huge engine into the car. Its not the power that keeps people out of buick showrooms as evidenced by the best sellers in the segment. Honda and Toyota sell far more 4 cylinder model accords and camrys then they do V6's. It isn't even that their styling is so show-stopping, but it usually is modern to say the least. Buick has its head on straight with the Enclave and doing fantastic with the Lucerne, but we Buick lovers do call for a change in the syling of the lacrosse and we are calling for one real soon. Why not take some cues from yourself Buick and design this like say....your own lacrosse concept from 2001? THAT, would be hot.....

I'm going to be really disappointed if all we get is new wheels and tacked on portholes....

(Mechanical attributes aside)

164947[/snapback]

Wasn't it supposed to get a new grille and/or headlights also? It needs something more than a 'new-wheels-and-portholes-job' to keep some relevance.

One Edmuds type psots under the pics "Why is GM panning V8's in this era". One good reason is to keep some former SUV owners from getting an Avalon?

Also, where are the complainers when Toyopta plans a factory building big trucks?

165100[/snapback]

I think the Camry and ES keep plenty of people from getting an Avalon. :D

Wow, the LaCrosse definitely didn't age well.

165081[/snapback]

A base Lacrosse CX (wheel covers and all) was parked next to a Taurus in the parking lot at my work today. The Lacrosse was an indistinct tan color, as was the Taurus. The similarities between the two are astounding, to the point where I seriously wonder whether Buick used the Ford as inspiration.

Needless to say, the Lacrosse was driven by a woman in her mid-80s.