No More Rock & Roll

No more "Rock and Roll"

Cadillac to drop Zeppelin song for new ad campaign

By JAMIE LAREAU | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 07/17/06, 8:33 am et

DETROIT -- General Motors is breaking from its "Break Through" Cadillac campaign and dropping Led Zeppelin's song "Rock and Roll" as its soundtrack.

The move is meant to attract younger affluent buyers from foreign luxury rivals, industry sources say.

Cadillac will unveil a new campaign in a series of print ads late this month, followed by TV spots to air in mid-August, a Cadillac spokesman confirms.

The new campaign will not have a theme song. It will be more "story oriented" to build the brand's image, say dealers who have seen the storyboards. A spokesman for Cadillac would not confirm details.

Cadillac introduced the "Break Through" campaign in TV commercials during the 2002 Super Bowl.

"I was lobbying to change it months ago," says Howard Drake, co-owner of Casa Automotive Group in Sherman Oaks, Calif. Drake sells Hummer, Saab and Cadillac vehicles. "It's been four or five years now."

But Jacques Moore, owner of Moore Cadillac in Richmond, Va., saw the storyboards and says: "The kindest way to describe it is getting back to mainstream. I'm not entirely for it."

Moore concedes that Cadillac's new ad agency, Boston-based Modernista, invented the popular "Monsters" spot for Hummer. "So these guys are really sharp and very hip," he says. "They might have a point."

A song from a 'thousand' years ago from some ancient English rockers from England just does not create a hip contemporary image for American iconic Cadillac. I'd shudder everytime those ads would come on.

The lame ad campaign is dead. Long live Cadillac!

Posted Image

We'll see if Modernista can pull off a suitable replacement for "Break Through." It'll be damn tough, and the cards are stacked against them. And as for the Hummer "Monster" ad, my memory is that the ad was actually lambasted in the advertising community...

If they are going to try and attract younger buyers, they need hip-hop in the ads--Jay-Z, 50 Cent, or something...

167988[/snapback]

O.K. LETS KILL OFF ALL OF THE LOYAL CADDY FANS AT ONCE TO GET ALL NEW CLIENTEL. GOOD CALL,YA. P.S. ZEPPELIN ROCKS, IT WAS JUST USED TOO LONG!

There is no need for rappers or old school rockers to sell Caddys.

The car/suvs should sell themselves during the commercial.

No other luxury brand has to stoop to jingles or theme songs to push products, so Caddy shouldn't either.

Lexus are selling like gangbusters and what song do they use in their commericals?

Guest YellowJacket894

O.K. LETS KILL OFF ALL OF THE LOYAL CADDY FANS AT ONCE TO GET ALL NEW CLIENTEL. GOOD CALL,YA. P.S. ZEPPELIN ROCKS, IT WAS JUST USED TOO LONG!

168020[/snapback]

You're right and you don't have to "yell."

In contrast, I find it somehow ironic and sad that Aerosmith's "Dream On" was short lived in Buick's ad spots.

You're right and you don't have to "yell."

In contrast, I find it somehow ironic and sad that Aerosmith's "Dream On" was short lived in Buick's ad spots.

168051[/snapback]

Whoops sorry, left cap lock on again. our eralink system has to have cap lock on . I keep forgetting to unlock. my bad yall :duh: Edited by prototype66

I kinda feel like the moment you introduce lyrics or any kind of vocal track into a song you immediately date it. If you take something that doesn't have lyrics and go with pure music, the music then forms the backdrop for the product. You notice the product against the "cool sound" whereas with lyrics you are either thinking, "I love this song!" or in my case with the Zep song "eek, this does not fit with the taught, high tech image that Art and Science just established". "Breakthrough" I think might have worked better if it had been aligned with something that presented the futuristic qualities of Cadillac and not the "old rocker" stigma. Don't get me wrong, I understand everyone has their musical preference; I mean I would have loved to have seen an STS pulling around some twisties in the Fall with U2's October playing in the background, BUT I know that wouldn't fit with the image. When thinking about that concept, that the music should be the background to the product, one would think that Jazz, a movie type score, or something techno-esque would have presented itself better to the CTS and Co. than something which immediately makes you recall the '60's. Just me own opinion

I'm not sure if this is a good move or not....

Cadillac SHOULD NOT be "mainstream" and they've already lost A LOT of the confidence and attitude that started their revival.

Cadillac should be 'sharp edged-in your face, unabashedly american' innovation and luxury.

Their ads should communicate their CONFIDENCE and ABILITY to LEAD the industry... They should NOT communicate 'just another luxury car that is timid in the face of the imports'

And FWIW, the Hummer "Monster" ad is nowhere near as good and innovative as the new 'urban techno' commercials or the pedal car/go anywhere commercials of the past.

If they are going to try and attract younger buyers, they need hip-hop in the ads--Jay-Z, 50 Cent, or something...

167988[/snapback]

Haha... kinda something like 50-cent's P.I.M.P. for a tricked out Escalade with tinted windows and spinners?

Pump up the bass, have some hookers on the side, and hear, "Cause I'm a muthaf@#kin' P.I.M.P." :lol:

No.

The new Escalade superbowl ads were nice. Although a couple of my friends really disliked them.

"Break on Through" by The Doors would have been so much better.

167929[/snapback]

The Doors wouldn't easily allow it. Jim Morrison wasn't a fan of "selling out".

Use the song, don't use the song, I don't care...

...just get RID of that damned boring-ass goof doing the pathetic voice over.  He sounds like a dentist trying to make you feel excited about a root canal.

168058[/snapback]

How is Cadillac's voice over any worse than Lexus's "elitist rhymes-with-brick" voice over, which they have been using for as long as I've been listening to Lexus commercials.

Rule out "Break on Through" until John Densmore (the drummer) gives the OK. This Doors song was Caddy's original theme until Densmore didn't approve of its usage b/c of the "fuel-gulping" Escalade. So that's why they used Rock n' Roll instead.

I hope Modernista can pull something off to continue to push Cadillac's star higher (as long as they don't go through with the impossible-to-perfectly execute BLS).

The bottom line is the car should sell itself during the commericals no matter what jingle or song you have in the background.

Lexus didn't get on top by playing Elvis, Snoop Dogg, The Doors or anyother group during commericals.

If Caddy wants to be a big dog than it needs to act like a big dog and get with the program and kick it up a notch.

That's how you sell cars not jingles and songs!

167988[/snapback]

I like the Led Zep ads but they went on too long, as far as 50-cent or Jay-Z...

please NO dear god. I think that if they were to still use music themed

commercials it should be someone more universal like Aerosmith, AC~DC or

Lenny Kravits. Those are lame too at this point but they don't offend like

Fiddy-Cent might.

I got it!

PINK FLOYD.

Have a new CTS-V driving around some CGI created enviroment with

all kinds of super futuristic hard surfaces, metal topography & chrome

robots all while some crazy P.F. song plays. Welcome to the machine,

but remixed all uptempo or perhaps something off "The Wall" but

updated in a style similar to NIN...? Just thinking out loud.

I think it is important for the new Cadillac ads to focus on the cars' style and FEATURES. The cars need to look good and the ad should show exactly what makes Cadillacs unique, special, and desirable.

Like some have already said, the cars should be able to sell themselves.