Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Josh

Honda chief rules out V-8 engine, for now

70 posts in this topic

Honda Motor Co. has decided not to build an eight-cylinder engine because high fuel prices are pushing buyers to more efficient motors. The company will focus instead on expanding diesel and gasoline-electric engine output.

"It's not the time to make a V-8," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui said. "We need to focus on diesels and hybrids first."

Fukui told reporters in Tokyo Aug. 4 that Honda was studying whether to build V-8 engines and "will decide in three years" on using them. He said Tuesday that the company has dropped any plan to build the motors.

Honda this year expects to build 70,000 diesel motors, for models in Europe, and 30,000 gasoline-electric hybrid motors, which will mainly be sold in U.S. cars. The company plans to boost diesel output to 100,000 motors in two years and hybrid production to as many as 50,000 a year by 2007.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../C04-314096.htm

Good, have them stick to girlie-girl SUVs and econoboxes. Edited by Sixty8panther

This isn't a surprise at all. Right now is not the time any company should be putting a lot of money into V8 developement, unless it is a hybrid assisted V8 or something to that effect. Regardless of how efficient a Honda V8 may be, I don't think Honda wants people to think they don't care about the environment by developing a V8 right now. Although I can't wait for the V10 to come out in the next NSX in a few years (assuming they don't go back to the drawing board like they did after the HSC).

Then on the other side, Honda is without a doubt losing sales to BMW and the like, who have V8 sedans, while Honda only has its 3.5L and 3.2L V6 sedans. And not to mention the 2.4L L4 sedans (which are still beating BMW's V8s and every other manufacturer in the Speed World Challenge). If Honda could develope a V8 powered RL with RWD or SH-AWD, I'd bet that would be a hot seller. Believe it or not, a lot of people judge the performance of a car based entirely off of how many cylinders it has, which of course is rediculous. Unfortunately these people buy cars, and there are a lot of them, so Honda has to appeal to them too.

Good, have them stick to girlie-girl SUVs and econoboxes.

I don't have any doubt that when Honda decides the time is right, they can develope a V8 that will outperform all other similarly sized V8's in every aspect. Why? They've only done it with every other high end engine they've developed. They have an abundance of technology to put into it (such as VTEC, VTC, cylinder cut, IMA, and any new technology they're working on right now), and they have the R & D and patience to get things right. Of course a large part of the American market will still reject it because it's a Honda.

We'll stick to our "econoboxes", while you stick to your polluting, gas guzzling, full-size sedans, SUVs, and trucks =P It's nice to see car manufacturers that are worried about future generations and not curent profit.

The McLaren F1 is proof that Honda is full of Hot Air and BMW is much superior in real world numbers. Money talks and bullshit walks. Honda is the most over rated manufacturer in the world!

The longer they hold off, the harder it will be for them to catch up to everyone else making a V-8. If the executives want a complete car line for Honda, they need a V-8. They could easily make a deal with GM to use the Vortec 4800 4.8L for the Ridgeline or the 5.3L V-8 for a large sedan. Maybe even the Northstar for the Acura line. Who knows. They are more fuel efficient then most of thier competitors and they are reliable. In return, GM could use some more V-6 engine options for their cars or small SUVs.

And you, sir, have a problem.

With gas prices being high and such, I think anyone would rather be driving a diesel, hybrid, I4, or V6 than a V8. Especially if they can barely afford. Edited by blackviper8891

I'm a little disappointed with Honda not having a V-8, but I have a feeling that they will be doing some impressive things with a V-6 hybrid.

Might as well...its not like the "advanced" 3.5L in the Pilot and Ridgeline is the most efficient/powerful engine. A V8 would probably get similar gas mileage with more power. From a marketing perspective though you can't really blame them. Gas prices aren't going down by much anytime soon and they will only go up again next summer.

The McLaren F1 is proof that Honda is full of Hot Air and BMW is much superior in real world numbers.

Money talks and bullshit walks.

Honda is the most over rated manufacturer in the world!

[post="14414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Honda F1 V10 3.0 NA engine is well above 900 hp so I'm sure they know a thing or two about making a good engine. BTW, it takes much more than a good engine to be successfull in F1.

more efficent motors? who says v8's cant be efficent? look at the ls2... that car has seen higher gas mileage then the aveo... on the c6 it says for highway, accual results up to 66 mpg... the aveo accuall results up to 46 I think

Oh yes... I'm sorry. I forgot that other than the LS Series V8s, GM can't make a fuel efficient engine. Especially when it comes V6s... GM sucks at it. That's why the ~240hp 3.9L gets worse fuel mileage than the 400hp LS2. Yeah... what a shame. I just wish GM could invest some money on the smaller engines. Refine them. If they did that... maybe V6 push-rods would be better than the V8s. Hell, maybe they could eliminate V6 push-rods all together since they are total disgraces. GM's I4s need some work too... The new 140hp Civic engine gets pretty damn good gas mileage. In comparison, The 140hp Ecotec engine looks like a V6 with its gas mileage. Needs some refinement... Another thing... if you look at the V6 in the Ridgline, what makes you think Honda would make a fuel efficient V8? Not saying they wouldn't because they have the technologies and such...

A V-8 product doesn't fit honda's image. I think they're smart to stick where they're at.

A V-8 product doesn't fit honda's image.  I think they're smart to stick where they're at.

[post="14610"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, building underpowered econo boxes!

honda shouldnt make v8s. they dont now and theyre doing pretty good. why mess with a good thing.

This really hurts Acura's image more than anything else. They'll never be thought of in the same sentence as Caddy, BMW, and MB without a RWD-based platform and a V8. Not that the RL isn't amazing, but it's all about perception, and we GM fans know a thing or two about how powerful that is.

This really hurts Acura's image more than anything else. They'll never be thought of in the same sentence as Caddy, BMW, and MB without a RWD-based platform and a V8. Not that the RL isn't amazing, but it's all about perception, and we GM fans know a thing or two about how powerful that is.

[post="14679"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Even at these gas prices, V8's are still sought after, especially in the luxury and performance market. I think a company that dosen't research V8 tech is missing out on quite a few customers. As stated earlier, trading Vortecs for Honda engines would be a good deal, but how about trading production data and rights for each others select engine tech (with restrictions). Honda could get some great GM V8 tech knowledge, and GM could be helped out by some small engine tech.........makes sense to me. Win-Win for both companies(although I dislike Honda).

Haha, can you imagine a honda v8 with a fartcan? I bet with flowmasters it would still sound like shit. *bzzzzzzZzZZZZZZ* Edited by nzr

Does GM make any aluminum block V8's? If not, I highly doubt Honda would want anything to do with it. And before you say an aluminum V8 is rubbish, think about it. Honda's aluminum L4's and V6's have done just fine, why would a V8 be any different? I can't think of any technology GM has that Honda needs. The Corvette gets such good gas mileage because its light, has a small frontal area (and a low coefficient of friction), and can cruise down the freeway at less than 1500rpms. Even a gas guzzling V8 could give a car like that ok gas mileage (I assume the C6's engine is pretty well designed too).

Does GM make any aluminum block V8's? If not, I highly doubt Honda would want anything to do with it. And before you say an aluminum V8 is rubbish, think about it. Honda's aluminum L4's and V6's have done just fine, why would a V8 be any different?

With the execption of the soon-to-be-phased-out GenIII engines currently in use in the trucks, all of GM's V8s are aluminum.

I can't think of any technology GM has that Honda needs.

Honda admitted they had a need when they asked for diesels in exchange for the V6 that's in the Vue. Their engine portfolio still has holes in it.

The Corvette gets such good gas mileage because its light, has a small frontal area (and a low coefficient of friction), and can cruise down the freeway at less than 1500rpms. Even a gas guzzling V8 could give a car like that ok gas mileage (I assume the C6's engine is pretty well designed too).

[post="14756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The LS2 in the GTO gets 17/25 for the manual tranny. Not too much of a dropoff there, considering the nearly 700lb difference between the two cars.

Does GM make any aluminum block V8's? If not, I highly doubt Honda would want anything to do with it. And before you say an aluminum V8 is rubbish, think about it. Honda's aluminum L4's and V6's have done just fine, why would a V8 be any different?

The entire Northstar line of engines - including the 4.0l Aurora and 3.5l ShortStar - are all aluminum...

They're very powerful, very smooth, have a decade of reliability to lean on, and gets great real-world fuel economy and now does it with 87 octane.

GM knows what they're doing with aluminum-block V8s.

The LS2 in the GTO gets 17/25 for the manual tranny. Not too much of a dropoff there, considering the nearly 700lb difference between the two cars.

[post="14761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 4046 lb Chrysler 300C (designed like a brick) gets 17/25 mpg with an automatic and a 340 hp 5.7L V8 with MDS.

A V6 Honda Accord with a 244 HP 3.0L weighing 3415 lbs, get's 21/30 mpg.

Really not that big of a difference if you ask me. You will save about $400.00 per year (with gas at $3.00/gal and driving 15,000 miles), and not have nearly as much fun doing it!

Oh yes... I'm sorry. I forgot that other than the LS Series V8s, GM can't make a fuel efficient engine. Especially when it comes V6s... GM sucks at it. That's why the ~240hp 3.9L gets worse fuel mileage than the 400hp LS2. Yeah... what a shame. I just wish GM could invest some money on the smaller engines. Refine them. If they did that... maybe V6 push-rods would be better than the V8s. Hell, maybe they could eliminate V6 push-rods all together since they are total disgraces. GM's I4s need some work too... The new 140hp Civic engine gets pretty damn good gas mileage. In comparison, The 140hp Ecotec engine looks like a V6 with its gas mileage. Needs some refinement...

Another thing... if you look at the V6 in the Ridgline, what makes you think Honda would make a fuel efficient V8? Not saying they wouldn't because they have the technologies and such...

[post="14565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Um...what about the 3.5L V6 in the Impala and Malibu? Any V6 that can get 35 real world MPG on the highway seems pretty efficient. Yes we all know its not rated at 35 MPG...hence why I said real world. True the 3.9L is rated lower...but in real life it will probably get just as good of mileage as its competitors.

EPA estimates are at best flawed. If you had any experience with newer GM engines...you would know their MPG usually exceeds the EPA estimates.

The entire Northstar line of engines - including the 4.0l Aurora and 3.5l ShortStar - are all aluminum...

They're very powerful, very smooth, have a decade of reliability to lean on, and gets great real-world fuel economy and now does it with 87 octane.

GM knows what they're doing with aluminum-block V8s.

[post="14786"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah, forgive me for my lack of knowledge when it comes to automotive V8's. All the new marine V8's I deal with are still cast iron (as well as V6's). Of course those are in much more unforgiving environments. In that case, I'd bet a strategic alliance between GM and Honda would be profitable for both organizations (just like Honda's alliance with GE).

Honda could use a good V8. I'm not saying that Honda couldn't design one just as good, but they probably don't have the time. The V8 in my dads 2004 Sierra gets over 20mpg on the freeway (with freeway gearing). I'm not sure what size it is, but it's the small one for the half ton trucks. That MPG is still a little lacking, but it is over 5L. If Honda wanted a V8, they'd probably go for the smaller 4.0L like you mentioned. Are these push-rod V8's still?

GM also makes aluminum 5.3s, which I think is used in the new Impala SS, and SSR. The trucks still use the iron block. Those are pushrod engines. The Northstar engines are DOHC.