Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe Pics and Information

Northstar

Overall, a very impressive effort. Here are a few of my thoughts: Styling is modern and crisp except for the windows in the rear doors, which look too much like the last generation Blazer's and do not match the rest of the styling. The taillights are perhaps too big, but overall a very clean look. HID headlights would have been nice on the LTZ. The interior is a huge improvement. The style leapfrogs the competition. The center stack has an attractive symmetry, but the radio is too far from the driver and too low. Steering wheel controls need to be standard now. The climate control system is especially low, though that will not be a big concern for units equipped with climate control. The protruding center stack appears to preclude a center passenger. Perhaps models without a center console will have the center stack flush with the dashboard? The downside would be an even longer reach to the controls. The additional length and weight are not good. The Tahoe can handle the additional length, but it would be bad if the same thing happens to the Silverado or Suburban because they would not fit in a lot of garages. Additional weight is expected for the additional features, especially the safety features, but 400 pounds is a lot. With rack and pinion steering now instead of recirculating ball, steering feel is probably much improved. The 4-speed transmission is disappointing, but not having a new 6-speed transmission is one less thing to go wrong on a new vehicle. The existing 4-speed unit is not particularly smooth though. I'm surprised the 4800 engine is still around. Why is it still here? Does it make sense for GM to continue to develop it?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You all better bet your asses I'll be around the Tech Center this entire week trying to get "real life" photos of this bad boy and in different colors. If its been showed to the public, I can expect to see it around here very, very soon.

You are using GM's favorite "Good enough" thinking which is just unacceptable. WHY should we still be making up excuses? You read the benefits of the 6 speed in the press release. It's just plain better. It makes for better acceleration, better gas mileage, and better towing. Like I said, GM penny pinching at its best.

You won't be there to explain that the 4 speed is "good enough" when consumers read C&D/MT/R&T's bashing of it.

[post="17520"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Your fervent passion for superiority is appreciated. However, for the time being, [I know, that's lame] I think it's okay that they release it with this proven mechanical.

Definatley a nice truck! The interior is great! (compared to the old ones especially)

The milage is great! but what engines get what mileage?
The reason the 6.2 has the 4-speed is because the 6-speed cant handle that kind of power yet.

LMAO
Posted Image

[post="17567"][/post]

I think you got that backwards....the 6.2L is the only one WITH the 6-spd standard. All the others have the 4-spd.

Congrats, reg, you've made it to my sig.

[post="17454"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

thanks for the honor!

by the way, hasn't anyone notices the KICK ASS STEERING WHEEL? MY GOD I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER SEE THAT NICE A SW ON A CHEVY!!!!

First the corporate 3 spoker and now this bad boy? HOLY F*** THINGS MIGHT BE A CHANGING AT GM.......

Anyone else see a slight Touareg interior resemblence here?

How will Chevy sell any Trailblazers once this thing hits? Edited by regfootball

It's the second row http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif....as shown in the cool video on GM TV today:
GM TV 9-20-05

[post="17395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

HEY YOU CAN SEE THE AVALANCHE IN BURNT ORNAGE IN THE BACKGROUND OF THIS VIDEO!!!

PS yes I know that I am screaming... thank you in advance!

DUDE ITS IN THE ORIGINAL AVALANCHE THREAD WE COVERED A FEW WEEKS AGO THAT WE ORIGINALLY COVERED A FEW YEARS AGO BUT GM ORIGINALLY SHUT DOWN IN THIS VERY BOARD!

Sorry.

[post="17656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I remember all of the photos and the drama but, wasn't convinced that it was ACTUALLY the Avalanche. In those photos it looked like a chopped F150... sortof... Anyway, I am glad to see the color and the nice looking rear of the Avalanche.

PS I have an '01 Silverado 1500 in Sunset Orange Metallic. Proud of that color, I will never find out why GM stopped carrying it. (Other than the fact that everyone I've met, including myself, has paint runs in that color.)

Oh it was the real thing. When Walt paid for the site to be hosted he was contacted several times about that. The pictures originated here. I honestly remember something like 38k views in that thread within two or three days. It must have been before GM realized there was a such thing as the internet. The mod boards & email were crazy during those times.

I'm not impressed. Just as I was 6 months ago when I saw the body shells. I was like okay they are coming out with an 04, 05, 06 and so on Tahoe. Take away the front end and the back end and you have the same Tahoe that has been out for 4+ years running. The interior is an improvement I will give it that. But I think my job at GM is in jeopardy now that the 07s are coming out. Not enough of a change as always. Sorry to be the party crasher but I have seen this time and time again. I hope the Escalade and Avalanche are more of a radical departure from the Tahoe. I have not seen those in the flesh yet, time will tell.

I don't think GM went as far with this interior as Ford did with the F150. Wait for the reviews, they'll crucify all the plastic. I mean, what's up with the big wall of grey plastic in the midst of that wood. I seriously don't understand doing that. It would cost like what, an extra $100 a vehicle to put wood or metal faceplates on the center stack?!

I don't think GM went as far with this interior as Ford did with the F150.  Wait for the reviews, they'll crucify all the plastic.  I mean, what's up with the big wall of grey plastic in the midst of that wood.  I seriously don't understand doing that.  It would cost like what, an extra $100 a vehicle to put wood or metal faceplates on the center stack?!

[post="17678"][/post]

As miles ahead the new F150 was ahead of the predacessor, and as nice as it is, lets not get carried away and make it more then it is.

Posted Image

vs.

Posted Image

The "plastic" on the centre stack looks to actually have some components to it, not just bare plastic. Edited by mr.nice

I honestly like the Tahoe interior better. Remember, the F-150 interior also will have to compete with the Yukon... I like the two-tone interior for Tahoe. I just want to know what it will look like with a dark interior color. Will it still be two-toned, or one color? Either would look nice.

thanks for the honor!

by the way, hasn't anyone notices the KICK ASS STEERING WHEEL?  MY GOD I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER SEE THAT NICE A SW ON A CHEVY!!!!

First the corporate 3 spoker and now this bad boy?  HOLY F*** THINGS MIGHT BE A CHANGING AT GM.......

Anyone else see a slight Touareg interior resemblence here?

How will Chevy sell any Trailblazers once this thing hits?

[post="17640"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was wondering the same thing about the Trailblazer. I talked to my wife about how this Tahoe makes the Trailblazer look very lacking. You can get more powerful engines, more fuel mileage, more room in the Tahoe. The only reason I would look at the Trailblazer is to bottom line price.

I still want to see some real mileage reading. I have a hard time believing the 20 mpg combined, all without the 6L80.

I have to agree with another member here and say that the F150 still has the better interior. I don't tend to compare products too much, but I have to mention this because of Lutz's statement a year ago: "I don't think Ford went far enough with the interior." (Which excited me too much, I'm afriad.) Both of them are about as equally good in terms of craftsmenship, but the aluminum trim in the Ford really gives it that shine. Unfortunately, GM still relies on black plastic for much of it's interior, albiet in smaller amounts. Sorry Lutz, looks like Ford really did go farther... *I have to mention that the Silverado still hasn't debuted yet so they may prove me wrong. I'm expecting the same interior though, with possibly different trims. Edited by johnnyb

After sitting in F150's at the auto show and on dealers lots, I will say it is a neat interior design... BUT... fit and finish and material quality is not up to par. And the seats don't support that well. I have no doubt that when seeing the Tahoe in person that it will view to be a much nicer and better interior than the F150. Even comparing the '05 Chevy's to the F150 at the auto show, the GM's seemed to have a bit better fit and finish than the F150. Edited by BuddyP

Typical GM. Why would they ever make a true "no compromises" vehicle? They really should be ashamed. Nissan has had a 5speed in their trucks since, what, 2004? GM can't even release a 2007 model without the lame 4 speed. Someone realllllll stupid is making decisions around GM. 4 speeds in 2007. Just WOW. I was excited when I saw the debut. This just killed it all. I guarantee this will be slower than today's Armada. How depressing.

[post="17508"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm with you on this one, I think there are still many areas where it's just good enough. 6-speed should have been standard. I'm afraid that the interior will be full of hard plastic like the Impala's. GM could have knocked out the competition, but there are still bean counters at GM. Lutz said that GM would have world standard interiors, but honestly, have you seen one yet?

And we still don't know what will look like the next Toyota? If the interior is better, has a better fuel economy and a 6-speed tranny? :blink:

But the best part is the new steering wheel, it should be standard all across Chevy's line-up. Edited by Matt276

After sitting in F150's at the auto show and on dealers lots, I will say it is a neat interior design... BUT... fit and finish and material quality is not up to par. And the seats don't support that well. I have no doubt that when seeing the Tahoe in person that it will view to be a much nicer and better interior than the F150. Even comparing the '05 Chevy's to the F150 at the auto show, the GM's seemed to have a bit better fit and finish than the F150.

[post="17717"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed.

People, when you sit in the F-150 and really take time to inspect the materials (this goes for any Ford vehicle), the interiors just do not impart quality. They make look real nice, but the materials are STILL a step or two behind. Especially the controls, everywhere flimsy, plasticy, unfinished feeling controls for the HVAC, radio unit, and other controls. The only material that feels real good is the metal, and that is in the high-end version anyway.

I am confident the material qaulity of the Tahoe will trounce the F-Series. Especially considering the recent strides GM has made.

Reg, I couldn't agree more about that steering wheel, it is hot, and about damn time. I also see a slight Touraeg resemblance.

Josh, stay away from those boards, I never visit them, I know what a nightmare they are.

hm, well, a quality interior or not, Ford's F-150 interior is still ahead of this.

This Tahoe introduces nothing new, as far as interior design and layout goes, I could see something like this in a Buick SUV, or even a Saab SUV, because despite being under par in many areas such as creativity, it's still a huge leap forward for Chevy as a brand.... I've never seen nothing this nice with a chevy badge on it unless it was a concept, so I guess that's moving forward...
However, beware... if there's one thing Chevy didn't do... it would be the fact that it's interior are now just competitive, and doesn't exactly "Blow Anyone Out Of The Water" .... besides, that's probably a top of the line Tahoe their showing, the standard one probably doesn't look as good.

The 2007 Everest doesn't look like anything we haven't seen from Ford, but the layout still look's newer then this interior. (Opinion)

Posted Image
Posted Image

I can definitely agree with you that the layout of the Everest is very nice. I can also agree with you that the Tahoe brings nothing new to the table design-wise and probably design-wise it is lacking compared to the Everest. But the Tahoe brings enough goodness in terms of design ALONG WITH what seem to be incredibly high quality materials from the center stack all the way to the tailgate plastic---something the Fords can say but to a lesser degree (in terms of quality).

Well yea, I'm gonna agree, the Tahoe is a quality and very much refined product, so although it may not have anything new in it's interior, there's more about it to love, and because of this solid product we have here, .... I would laugh if anything was ranked above it by Motor Trend, C&D, Road and Track, AutoWeek, and Automobile.

Yukon and Yukon Denali models have a new, distinct appearance that introduces a new design language for GMC. The design is characterized by large, round headlamps set in vertical housings that taper at the top and wrap around into the front fenders. The round lamps – a larger round lamp on the bottom with a slightly smaller lamp on top – have cylindrical mounting pockets that create a detailed three-dimensional appearance when viewed through the crystal-clear lenses.

a.k.a. the same housing as the Tahoe except with Envoy style lights.

The headlamps are separated by a large grille opening that contains a prominent, red GMC logo. The two-piece grille, with chrome surround trim, includes a taller upper section, with h orizontal, dark-colored bars on Yukon and Yukon XL models. The upper section channels air to the radiator and the lower section frames the front license plate holder and the standard integrated tow hooks.

a.k.a. the same shape as the Tahoe except with added GMC plastic.

*** I hope I'm not right on this BTW***

As with the front end, the rear of the Yukon features an integrated, wraparound fascia and unique lighting. The taillamp design includes three chrome-ringed, stacked ovals and red-color clear lenses. The three lighting elements create a concentric ring design that mimics the appearance of the round headlamps.

Sounds cool.

I'm not impressed. Just as I was 6 months ago when I saw the body shells. I was like okay they are coming out with an 04, 05, 06 and so on Tahoe. Take away the front end and the back end and you have the same Tahoe that has been out for 4+ years running. The interior is an improvement I will give it that. But I think my job at GM is in jeopardy now that the 07s are coming out. Not enough of a change as always. Sorry to be the party crasher but I have seen this time and time again. I hope the Escalade and Avalanche are more of a radical departure from the Tahoe. I have not seen those in the flesh yet, time will tell.

[post="17671"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I'm not surprised-I've been seeing that myself (I'm not an inside, just what you describe is more or less my take on it-GM is stuck in an idle position in some cases).

Old
Posted Image
New
Posted Image

Big Difference, I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

[post="17743"][/post]

Look at the doors and shape of the windows -- pretty much exactly the same. The fender flares are just integrated now.

The interior is a HUGE improvement. Is it representative of what the next gen GM pickup interiors will look like?

Tahoe gets best-in-class mileage.  Hybrid version is a year or two away.  What's your point?  Priuses don't fit everyone's needs...

[post="17858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If the GM, BMW, Mercedes, ????, hybrid alliance holds to their word, a Tahoe with the stated gas mileage mounted with the hopefuly outstanding hybrid system will be (in my opinion) a more attractive purchase that any Toyota SUV out there.

The Old Tahoe and new Tahoe are different exteriorly. The doors are 8inches longer and the crease in the middle of the doors is non existance. The rear quarter panels have been redesigned. The only thing that is similiar from the 800 to 900 is the floorpan. There is also a slight design difference in the windows, but what do you want the windows to look like? It is a great vehicle, no doubt.

While I love most everything about this new truck so far, I still keep thinking, in the back of my mind, that Toyota is just grinning silently at the moment, thinking to themselves "Oh yeah....you just wait!" And regardless of how much some here hate Toyota, it's almost a GUARANTEE they have something big, and something special waiting behind closed doors with the new Seqouia and Tundra. It will probably be ugly or have something weird or TOO car-like about it again, but fuel mileage and features will probably be at the very top....I just hope it isn't true.... :unsure: Then again, even if it has some of the most innovative features and best MPG's of any truck ever, the oddball/boring looks and/or "delicate" little car feel might still keep it behind the GM's. Edited by caddycruiser

well, they will definitely produce something superlative, thier toyota after all, and they will need something superlative to match or beat the Tahoe. The Tahoe will no longer have to make excuses though, it's a fully realized well-designed truck. And I think it'll be classier and better looking than the Toyota.

I don't think the Sequoia's going to be any better than the Tahoe. It'll be good, but I doubt it will surpass the Tahoe if the Tahoe is as good as it sounds. BTW I think the Everest interior looks like crap. It's a big boring block with no design inspiration and the ugly Ford corporate radio.

that looks like the buick lacrosses wood..
has anyone bitched about it yet?

[post="17905"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nah, LaCrosse has a cheesy burled walnut faux wood pattern, this one is not cheesy burl wood. It really doesn't look half bad and certainly better than what Toyota has.

... hmm, well, looking at the Tahoe's interior, quality aside, tell me new elements presented in the Tahoe that shatter interior design thinking...

The center console doesn't look any better then anything Ford has out right now...

No one was "Blown out of the water"...., All Chevrolet did was join the competition with this interior(The one presented, Which I think will be Chevy's top of the line model...).

I hate to sound so bitter about the interior, but I don't think it's one of the highlight's of this vehicle. I give ton's of kudos to this new Tahoe, it's everything I could ever want in an SUV, and I don't think my opinion on the interior out-wieghts the tremondous leap Chevy has taken with this product. For that I'm happy for GM, and I hope that maybe the Yukon Denalli's or the Escalade interior will "wow" me.