Sign in to follow this  
Dragon

Chrysler CT Program Axed

37 posts in this topic

Northstar    11

Link? This is interesting. Maybe Chrysler thought it wouldn't have a chance against the Lambdas and NG Pilot, Highlander, etc.

When is the Pacifica scheduled to end production? This would be great for the Enclave, even though there would be no reason to buy a Pacifica over an Enclave except price.

Bimmer325    18

This would be great for the Enclave, even though there would be no reason to buy a Pacifica over an Enclave except price.

213120[/snapback]

It would be a tough call considering that we know nothing about the next-generation Pacifica. :blink:

BrewSwillis    0

The current Pacifica is built on it's own unique platform. They will probably discontinue using this unique platform, and build a new crossover on a different shared platform. Maybe the next gen LX platform, called LY??

No car company can afford not to have a crossover at this point.

Cadillacfan    0

I can't say I didn't see this coming. This vehicle is too much like a minivan and too dull to make a big enough dent in the crossover segment to be profitable. They need to start from scratch. Maybe come out with a crossover that's bold and geared more towards the average SUV buyer. Something Ford is doing with the Edge/MKX, upcoming Fairline, and what GM is doing with its Lambda triplets.

Paolino    99

The Aspen is going to become another Commander... look big, talk big... sell craptacularly.

FAPTurbo    1,078

Nuts. I really liked the Pacifica. I felt it was one of the few Chrysler's to ooze some elegance and taste. I suppose the parts sharing with Mercedes helped as well.

Too bad.

caddycruiser    50

This is really one of their best vehicles, and has a terrific outside look and interior, along with being the perfect size for most people. And with the new 4.0L and 6-speed, is apparently quite quick now compared to the "original".

They sell well here and I know several people with them who love them, so I just don't see this happening, unless there's more information missing....where'd the report come from?

bobo    91

I'm not a Mopar fan at all, but I did like the Pacifica. The interior was a cut above the other vehicles. But no doubt some other crossover is planned.

NOS2006    11

Wow, of the four Chrysler vehicles (including Dodge, excluding Viper) I wouldn't mind owning, one of them has been cut. Bad move, IMO.

Hudson    16

The current Pacifica is built on it's own unique platform.  They will probably discontinue using this unique platform, and build a new crossover on a different shared platform.  Maybe the next gen LX platform, called LY??

That was the plan...that's the vehicle that has been cancelled.

Intrepidation    846

That sucks, I always liked the Pacifica, and the update makes it even more attractive, with the nicer headlight design, 4.0 V6 and 6-speed auto. Plus I hear the interior is probably the nicest you'll find in a Chrysler. So it's on it's own platform? Just modify it for the next gen...at least then Chrysler has something that's not just a Dodge underneath.

Edited by Dodgefan

regfootball    234

This is really one of their best vehicles, and has a terrific outside look and interior, along with being the perfect size for most people.  And with the new 4.0L and 6-speed, is apparently quite quick now compared to the "original".

They sell well here and I know several people with them who love them, so I just don't see this happening, unless there's more information missing....where'd the report come from?

213237[/snapback]

yes, the new 4.0/6 sp is very quick....i've driven one.

my guess here is DCX is just gonna milk this wagon for about 7 more years. they sell well and folks who shop for town and country's but don't like the minivan image get steered into them. you can get them cheap.

NOS2006    11

The current Pacifica is built on it's own unique platform.  They will probably discontinue using this unique platform, and build a new crossover on a different shared platform.  Maybe the next gen LX platform, called LY??

213137[/snapback]

I thought LY was the designation given to the underpinnings for the Challenger? Or is that an LX, too?

Intrepidation    846

I thought LY was the designation given to the underpinnings for the Challenger? Or is that an LX, too?

213333[/snapback]

They called the concept a "modified LX" but if I recall riht, the next gen Charger/300/Magnum(?) and the Challenger will be LY...which is a futher evolution of the LX platform.

Anyway, I see a lot of Pacificas on the rad...why not redesign a popular car? Where's the logic in that? It sold poorly the first year cuz of bad priceing/optioning. After they fixed it they seemed to be everywhere.

Dragon    0

The chasis was cancelled. In theory, it could rear its head again on a shared platform, perhaps the RT chasis of the Caravan.

I'm pretty sure the Challenger's program is the LC23 with the LY being the next gen

(EDIT: Scratch "pretty sure", I am sure)

Edited by Dragon

Link? This is interesting. Maybe Chrysler thought it wouldn't have a chance against the Lambdas and NG Pilot, Highlander, etc.

When is the Pacifica scheduled to end production? This would be great for the Enclave, even though there would be no reason to buy a Pacifica over an Enclave except price.

213120[/snapback]

Or perhaps Chrysler just wanted to move it in a different direction... The current model is starting to age a little bit and will need to be pumped up next to the Lambdas (and possibly the 2009 Ford D471) but its not that bad overall-I support redesigning it onto the Town & Country platform before moving it to LY, so now I just wonder what they're doing like everyone else.

3 possible platforms that would make sense for the next Pacifica--LX (a RWD/AWD crossover would be an interesting twist), the next minivan platform, or the Grand Cherokee/Commander platform (with a wheelbase stretch)...

MyerShift    7

Not so fast!

Chrysler has told them to stop work on the next generation Pacifica.

But, we don't know if it is truly cancelled or just postponed until Chrysler gets its crap together.

And, the Pacifica is NOT on an entirely unique platform. It shares many components with the minivans; including their cancelled AWD system. Please visit allpar.com for more accurate information.

MyerShift    7

Especially not when considering Chrysler's current state of sad affairs.

So what, they're going to exit this market (that they pretty much created) entirely?