Big-ass snowstorm

Satty

Who else has been enjoying this big storm thats been going across the nation? It started raining last night and didn't let up, it turned into freezing rain and finally snow this evening. The best part is that I had to drive around randomly assessing the roads so I could decide wether or not any stores needed to be closed. Since half the town was a sheet of ice and there were no plows in sight, one delivery only store had to be closed. After that I got bored so I came home and couldn't get the Fusion into my garage (driveway is a pretty steep incline) so I left it at the end of the driveway and came inside. Then I used some Nair I found to eliminate a single gigantic hair on my arm. And thats how my night went.

I drove by several car lots and what stood out was not that the lots were empty because all of the inventory had been moved to the back (not that the cars are much safer there) but what had been left out. The Saturn dealership left an Aura out underneath a cheap vinyl tent, VW/Mitsu/Porsche moved everything including the '99 Villager with 160k miles that they want $7000 for. The Ford dealership and the Lincoln/Jeep dealer didn't move a thing. The evil Chevy/Mercedes dealer made some interesting choices. The entire Chevy side was moved (the truck lot was being plowed by a Ford) except one single Aveo left to fend for itself. It looked lonely. The Mercedes side moved everything except an R-class, I guess they figure that if its the only thing people can see that customers will assume it is the only Mercedes available and will buy it in spite of the fact that it looks like a deformed VW New Beetle/Jetta wagon mashup.

No snow here yet, but plenty of freezing rain. All the trees are in crested in snow and all of the cars were frozen over that I saw. Luckily the ground is still warm enough that it didn't freeze the sidewalks, or I would have had a fun 15 minute walk home (which was already unpleasant because of the rain). My umbrella had ice frozen all over it!

Ain't global warming great? It was 14 degrees here yesterday (58 F) and then it dropped to 4 (currently - 40). Rain, rain, rain.

Guess those stereotypes of Canada and igloos is a little over blown, eh?

It hit here (Denver) Tuesday night...snowed off-and-on all day Wed..got about 6 inches..my company closed the offices Wed at 2. Got cold Wed night (below zero)..it's been warming up into the 30s yesterday and today..

In sharp contrast, I was in NE Ohio last Wed-Sun for Thanksgiving--unbelivable--5 days of sun, 3 days over 60! I was in Cleveland Sunday and saw convertibles w/ the tops down..that is extremely rare late November weather for NE Ohio.

i wonder how many RWD vehicles are in the ditch........

222706[/snapback]

We had 6 to 12 inches (depending on the wind) on our driveway this morning. The wife took the Trailblazer to work this morning, as the CTS probably wouldn't have made it out of the driveway, much less down the street.

I love my CTS, but FWD or AWD is much better in this kind of weather.

I cleaned my driveway and three others (for neighbors) by noon and quit for the day. That should get me some cookies or a dinner from their wives. Unfortunately, one neighbor will bring egg rolls that are a little too greasy, still it's the thought behind it.

Not mine, but then it will probably never see snow.

222709[/snapback]

Mine stayed inside, away from the snow...had my Jeep in full-time 4wheeldrive the last few days. Though if I had to, I could always put a set of snow tires on my BMW and drive it the snow..

Guest YellowJacket894

No snow. Yet. The NWS in Louisville was predicting a 100 percent chance of snow to come in around 5:00 PM when I checked at 5:00 AM this morning. Don't know if that's still the case, but it's getting pretty damn cloudy outside.

It snowed a bit around 10:30 this morning, too.

The winds last night were crazy. Until 10:00 PM this morning, the central and I think the western part of the state had tornado warnings posted.

Real fun day. And, after sunset, it's going to go below freezing. So, yeah, the fun's not over with.

I lied about taking the CTS out in the snow. Had to go to the post office with a couple of bills and the mail truck wasn't going to get up our street until late in the day.

I slid round most corners, since they got some of the snow off the road, just not the ice underneath. The "TG (raction control) engaged" warning kept lighting up, but it was kind of fun.

The snow finally stopped, but we're due for a hard freeze tonight, so any ice on the road will be "black ice".

i wonder how many RWD vehicles are in the ditch........

*rolls eyes*

Luckily, I didn't have to go to work today, so mine wasn't.

But, this morning, ABC 7 showed a pileup on one of the freeways .. and amazingly, many of them were FWD. I don't understand..... I did spot one Crown Vic (RWD, obviously) and a number of possibly 4WD/AWD SUVs in the video, but most of the cars I saw were FWD (97-03 Malibu or Cutlass, etc.).....

*shrugs*

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

Soon:new pics+revision = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

At least with RWD you can turn with the throttle.  With FWD, understeer city in low traction conditions.

It's cold out this morning, but not too windy.  The storms weren't much to worry about here.

223056[/snapback]

True enough...I was steering my Jeep with the throttle yesterday..kind of fun to drift a 4500 lb SUV when there is no one else around.. :) More snow here today..18 degrees right now.

Well, when I went outside last night, I found out what everybody was talking about. Some kid has a newer Solara and it looks like he takes pretty darn good care of it. It's white with blacked out taillights and some other stuff. Well, I found it parked against a pole and it's probably totalled.. the front corner of the car is really pushed in...

Yes, since pickups are very light in the ass end unladen, it is a good idea to have a posi rear and about 500 pounds of something over the rear axle if you are driving a 2WD pickup.

223187[/snapback]

Satty's mom? (beat you to it, Fly)

We got mostly wind with the occasional squall of heavy rain. We lost a maple tree that narrowly missed the house, but messed up the power lines going to the house. Spent all day today chopping that thing up with my father and adding it to the pile of firewood.

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we've no place to go, let it snow let it snow, let it snow. …

We had a an unseasonal blast of winter a few weeks ago. An unheard of confluence of weather systems sent a blast of Antarctic air up the east coast of Australia. It's late spring and places that rarely get snow in winter got a good dusting. Here, where the Nov average is a balmy 74, it reached 42 deg F.

oh, jesus, the other day I got up at about 6 for school, it was 71 fricken degrees out and damn, was it windy (it went all the way up to 35 miles or more according to the radio). Then about 4 hours later it had plummeted all the way to 56 then to about 38-35 about 2 hours after that. And worst of all, the electricity went out cuz the wind knocked a few trees on the lines and we were like that from about 10 to about 2.

We're supposed to get some sort of snowfall later tonight into tomorrow, but forecasters can't agree on the track of the storm.

With coastal storms like these, forecasts are generally a waste of time. They normally get the forecast nailed down about 8 minutes before the first snow arrives.

Haha! We didn't get anything but rain here in Coldwater.

Sure, there was a thin coating of ice on some trees and wires, but that all melted in an hour.

Today (Monday) is the first day that we have had any accumulation at all. Started snowing this afternoon gently, and hasn't stopped yet. But it is really light, and grass is still showing.

yeah snow!

RWD drifting season has started!!! drifted the whole turnaround in the parking lot after work. RWD makes Winter driving so much more fun! And no I havent thrown my cars in ditches. only my trucks. I thrown the caprice in the ditch a couple times in the summer tho on 90ºF dry days tho. I think i drive better in the winter than in summer.

But Not even AWD can help you on ice.