Saturn Astra to Launch in Late-07

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah giant windshields and panoramic roofs sound nice and innovative, but no thanks-I'll take a solid roof and regular windshield, please.

I would definitely consider a metallic red or green 3-door with the panoramic windshield, leather seats, and the 6-speed.

225562[/snapback]

Right on.

At the Opel page (Opel Home- Germany) a couple years ago they had a dark green; DigitalGrun or something like that. Unfortunately, that colour doesn't seem to be offered currently.

WOW!!!!

I'd definitely replace the ZX3 with that!

I would like to see GM bring more than just the 3 and 5 doors over though.

FINALLY!!! GM has a guranteed hit in the heart of import country; ENTRY LEVEL cars... I'd put this up against anything from the new Civic to the tC.

Hey GM, lets see some great powertrain options as well, ehh???

WOW!!!!

I'd definitely replace the ZX3 with that!

I would like to see GM bring more than just the 3 and 5 doors over though.

FINALLY!!! GM has a guranteed hit in the heart of import country; ENTRY LEVEL cars... I'd put this up against anything from the new Civic to the tC.

Hey GM, lets see some great powertrain options as well, ehh???

225832[/snapback]

I'd like to see the 1.6 Dual-VVT for economy, 1.8 dual-VVT for volume, and 1.6 Turbo for economical performance.

I'd take a hatchback over the sedan counterpart. I think the hatches look better and offer greater practicality. As for the convertible, I don't think I'd ever get one unless it was a G6 folding hartop, Corvette or S2000.

I'm actually quite suprised we aren't getting the sedan as most people think Americans hate hatchbacks. I think the hatch is a good move for Saturn, it helps differentiate it more from its competitors and also makes Saturn seem more upscale or European compared to Chevy/Pontiac.

Wouldn't it be cheaper, for U.S. certification purposes, just to put either the 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotecs in the Astra?

225898[/snapback]

Except that neither engine is currently available in the Astra. The only Family II engine offered in the Astra is the old cast-iron block turbo from the previous 9-3, in 205 or 238 hp tunes. The smaller Family 1 engines are brand new and shouldn't require too much if anything to meet US emission standards. The diesels are another matter, so you probably won't see them in the US.

Wouldn't it be cheaper, for U.S. certification purposes, just to put either the 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotecs in the Astra?

225898[/snapback]

As far as small cars go, both are huge guzzlers according to the EPA. Reducing the size to 1.6 or 1.8 (while keeping similar power) would help.

So, we get the lousy hatchbacks, but not the  sweet looking sedan and 'vert?

225914[/snapback]

I think the reverse-I like the hatchbacks (and wagons) but the sedan looks awkward and the CC doesn't look that stylish to me for some reason-just a cross of "chunky bland" and "been-done-before".

Once the hatches have been homologated the sedan is an easy option, but it won't go into production in Poland until the first Astra hatches are already on sale in the US. There are capacity issues too. At the moment Saturn will be getting Belgium's excess volume. New models such as the TwinTop and sedan may not have much available at the moment, and the Lancer and Jetta wagons have already been dropped in the US because of low sales (less than 10% of the mix).

Hmm... I must've forgot that Astra's not Delta.

226281[/snapback]

A LSD may help, or a locking front differential as Alfa now uses on the 147. Delta is GM's common name for all the fwd compact platforms, which are not necessarily the same. You might consider Astra to be Delta 1, Cobalt and Ion Delta 2, and the next gen being engineered in Germany Delta 3. Although the Astra uses the same platform as the last T-body Astra, it is officially an A-body like the Cobalt.

So, we get the lousy hatchbacks, but not the  sweet looking sedan and 'vert?

225914[/snapback]

Lousy!? For shame. The hatches are infinitely more interesting, characterful, and is some cases practical than the sedan. And judging from the rear of the new Opel Astra sedan, those taillamps look the same as some iterations of the Cadillac Catera, which itself is an Opel. I would like to see the TwinTop here as well. Best bet would be to introduce ALL of the Astra's iterations to the U.S.

Great news! That will be my daughter's new car when she turns 16 in a few years.

I'm hoping they expand the product line after the hatchbacks launch with the turbo model, and the CC. In my opinion I think those would be great additions to the line to keep interest in it and increase sales.

K.C.

have you seen the materials in either of the Astras [MCE or pre]? I hope so too, from pictures they look pretty decent, but pictures have a way of decieving. I haven't sat in Rabbit, but I know what the rest of the line is, and that being said it's probably perfect. It will be hard to top that. Civic also has great plastics, great consistency, the plastics are hard but not shallow, they feel solid and strong and have a nice texture. Both are definitely best in class. I think GM can get away with not as nice of plastics if the car is priced a step below both Civic and Rabbit, after all these are the most expensive in the class.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's hoping the European engines and the 6 speed manual get here along with the great looking 5-door. My biggest fear is that some guy in marketing will ruin the good looks and decide America doesn't want a convenient hatchback. GM really hasn't done a good job of making small cars for people who want efficient, convenient transportation.

My Ion is getting a bit up there in miles and has served well but I'd much rather have a 5-door with some pep, cargo room, and good fuel economy. It seems most American automakers, especially GM, think that EPA estimates of 20 city and 30 highway are good. Bah. I know you can get better.

If I were in the market for a new car last year I would have bought a Jetta TDI and be averaging around 35mpg overall and in the real world. VW is swithing to a common-rail engine and not offering the TDI this year. In that my dad has worked for GM for the last 24 years I always follow GM models first and this means that the Astra will get a shot at beating the VW. I don't see anything else in the pipeline that has a chance.

I want 35mpg overall, as nice and well equipped as the VW, think it's embarrassing that ABS isn't standard on all GM cars yet, and don't want to pay over $20,000.

No go to it.

ABS was standard on nearly all GM cars back in the early 90s, even my sister's 92 Cavalier had ABS standard. Somehow the public forced the decision on GM to change that.

Actually that is not correct. It was not the public that forced GM to change their policy on ABS but Uncle Bob Lutz. One of his first cost cutting moves was to begin to option and repackage the vehicles. And that resulted in ABS being optional as opposed to standard which if I remember correctly ABS was standard on just about every GM vehicle in the US prior to that Lutz decision. But, when Lutz did this, he lowered the base price on vehicles that no longer offered ABS as standard. This happened early in Uncle Bob's tenure at GM. In hindsight we see that it did not help GMs sales numbers in the US or their bottom line.

But in the next few years when Stabilitrack/ESC becomes standard as GM has announced - ABS will become standard on every vehicle all over again.

if I remember correctly ABS was standard on just about every GM vehicle in the US prior to that Lutz decision.

Absolutely. I think even the Chevy Metro had standard ABS sometime in the late-90s/early-00s.

Decontenting is the worst thing Lutz ever did.

My parent's 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 sedan doesn't have the ABS either. They knew this before they signed off on the loan; my dad wanted the car regardless of ABS ("I've only been driving cars with ABS for about the last decade, what do you think I drove before that?") but my mom was concerned. She usually gets the newest car, however she let my dad have the G6 and she kept her '05 Saturn VUE AWD V6 with ABS! :P

Someday I hope to be carefree enough to walk in and order exactly the car I want. It's not as though ABS is so expensive. It's just that at present, being a young high school teacher, I time new car purchases with need and incentives. That means I buy off the lot and most of the cars I come across don't have ABS combined with a manual transmission (because come on, you have to have some fun).

Here's hoping my next car will be an Astra with a little turbocharged 4-banger and a six speed manual, ABS, sunroof, and sharp looking wheels. I'm thinking something in red.

I know all the option packages and available choices are based on extensive research which leads me to believe that either the researchers are idiots or the people they are surveying are. After all, if either one was all that intelligent they would be building exactly the car I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Cue the drum beat... dum DUM dum

GM finds it harder to sell Opel cars in USA due to a strong Euro

General Motors has said that they are finding it hard to sell the European brand Opel’s car in the United States because of the stronger Euro.

The strength of Euro when compared to the US dollar makes it hard for them to make profits on Opel branded cars in the USA.

GM recently said that they would start marketing the Opel Astra model in the United States under the brand name Saturn by the end of the current year.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner was quoted as saying in the media: “When we made that decision the profitability outlook was better than today. Now it’s going to be more difficult because the euro is simply so strong.”

to be continued...

Cue the drum beat... dum DUM dum

GM finds it harder to sell Opel cars in USA due to a strong Euro

General Motors has said that they are finding it hard to sell the European brand Opel’s car in the United States because of the stronger Euro.

The strength of Euro when compared to the US dollar makes it hard for them to make profits on Opel branded cars in the USA.

GM recently said that they would start marketing the Opel Astra model in the United States under the brand name Saturn by the end of the current year.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner was quoted as saying in the media: “When we made that decision the profitability outlook was better than today. Now it’s going to be more difficult because the euro is simply so strong.”

to be continued...

One more reason to BUILD THE NEXT GEN HERE! Import some for a year or two, I don't care, but please build the next gen here, GM! (Preferably in Spring Hill. :thumbsup: )

They don't only build Astras in Western Europe. How's the Zloty? or the Rand? If GM Europe wants to use up excess capacity in Antwerp they need to use marginal accounting to determine the cost. It always gets me that Holden doesn not source Astras or Corsas from South Africa (where both are built), when almost everybody else in Australia (BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Ford) sources their small cars from there.

[ASTRA} "Be offered in XE (five-door) and XR (three-door and five-door) trim levels, and will bring new levels of style, performance, safety and efficiency to the small car segment in North America"

information from here but not too much more

Awesome, thanks man! I'm hoping a decently-equipped XR 3-door can be had for around $20k.