Saturn Astra to Launch in Late-07

FOR RELEASE: 2006-12-07

Saturn Astra To Join Lineup In Late 2007

New small car to complete turnover of vehicle lineup in less than two years

Posted Image

DETROIT - Saturn confirmed today that it will add the Astra compact car to its lineup late in 2007, marking an important stage in its product revitalization plan. When the 2008 Astra joins the Sky, Aura, Outlook and all-new Vue, no Saturn will have been in the market more than 20 months, giving the brand one of the freshest product lineups in the industry.

"The Astra is a great fit for Saturn, with its European style and driving dynamics," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. "It also signals our efforts to get new vehicles to market quickly and reinvent the entire Saturn product lineup with unprecedented speed."

The Saturn Astra will be nearly identical to the 2007.5 Opel Astra, unveiled this week at the Bologna Motor Show in Italy. It will be sold in the United States and Canada in three-door and five-door configurations.

The Astra is part of the larger collaboration between Saturn and Opel. By sharing resources from throughout GM's global network of design and engineering centers, the two brands can develop strong, broad product lineups that will attract buyers to the brands both in North America and Europe. Early examples of this collaboration include the Saturn Sky and upcoming Opel GT, as well as the Opel Antara and 2008 Saturn Vue.

"The Astra enables Saturn to occupy a unique position in the marketplace and to strategically broaden its appeal with consumers who usually have import brands on their shopping lists," said Lajdziak. "Saturn's partnership with Opel is a natural way to expand our lineup with relevant products that will attract new buyers into our showrooms."

More information will be available when Saturn unveils the 2008 Astra at the Chicago Auto Show in February 2007.

About Saturn

Saturn, a division of General Motors Corp., markets vehicles in the U.S. and Canada through a network of about 500 retailers, with a focus on providing innovative products with solid value and excellent customer service. In 2006, the brand has undertaken a major revitalization of its portfolio with four new vehicles: the Sky roadster, the Aura midsize sedan, the Vue Green Line hybrid and the larger Outlook crossover. Next year, Saturn continues its aggressive growth plans with an all-new Vue compact crossover (Spring 2007) and the new European Astra small car (Fall 2007).

More Astra Photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very exciting! Glad to see the Astra finally unveiled-can't wait to hear more about it, nice color and wheels on the hatchback coupe picture! I hope the interior looks better in person than in the pictures though.

I hate GM photography. If there weren't other pics of the Astra, I would ignored it.

225176[/snapback]

the first picture up top is such an unnatural angle; so hard to get a good picture of the actual shape of the car from down below like that.

exciting times for saturn. and the MCE has come with nice touches.....i would also like the convertible here.

I don't know what GM plans to price these Astras out at, but they sure in hell make the Aveo and the Cobalt (less so) look like crap. As a matter of fact, this car looks better than the Versa, Fit, and Yaris.

GM is only planning on selling 30K-40K of them, so that must mean they're going to price it pretty high?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Astra GTC is THE best looking compact on the global market. This will be a great car for Saturn...something I may even consider purchasing as a commuter car (and if the reliability turns out to be good). Hope som of the Astra's neat & different features - such as the piano-black trim and panoramic windshield - cross the pond.

What will the US powertrain lineup be for this vehicle?

Oh my God, I would SO buy a 3-door Astra with a 5-spd!  ^_^

225308[/snapback]

Sorry, but if Autoweek is correct, no 5 speed for you. Can you deal with a 6 speed manual instead? :lol:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/61207008/1063

They're also speculating on engine options - they expect no diesels (I guess the ones offered in europe don't meet us specs), and expect a n/a base engine, and 2 turbo'd engines.

Read this in the Detroit Free Press while at work today.

Made me the happiest boy in the world to know that we fianlly get the Astra.

Even the 5-door isn't frumpy!

I see lots of you like the big windshield thingy. Am I the only one that doesn't like it?

225404[/snapback]

nope. well, i think its neat. i just wouldnt want to have to apply sunscreen every time i went somewhere or have to pay for a replacement.

or is there a roof-wide visor that can be pulled forward?