Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

V8 Acuras May Be Closer to Reality

Variance

V8 Acuras May Be Closer to Reality

Acura is moving closer to fitting its vehicles with bigger engines, including possibly a V-8.

A V-6 is the largest engine that Honda's luxury division now offers. Some company executives think that is a problem.

Acura has announced that the next-generation NSX sports car, due in 2009, will be powered by a 10-cylinder engine. But Hirohide Ikeno, president of Honda R&D Americas Inc., said the company is considering V-8s, too.

"That is our direction," he said last week during a reception for the opening of Honda's advanced design studio in Pasadena, Calif.

Ikeno said it's important that Acura have bigger engines. He added: "I'm pushing for it."

Autoweek

Next step: Rename the RL 'Legend' and make it look like its worth $50,000.

Next step: Murder the Acura's Calfornia Design Studio members who did that stupid concept.

226411[/snapback]

I LOVED the Legend.

It's great to hear they're getting an 8.

Acura has always marched to the beat of their own drum as far as their engines are concerned. That has made them a unique aspect to the automotive world, but I guess that doesn't cut it in this day in age, especially when the US market calls for a "bigger is better" mentality. I am eager to see what they do with their V8's. If their V6's can perform with some V8's out there on the market, I can only imagine what their V8's can do.

Finally. Honda will hopefully have a RWD platform someday to accompany this possible V8 engine. For now though, its most likely going to be paired up with the SH-AWD if the V8 ever comes to light.

The thing about Honda is they're a great engineering based company. It's their marketing that needs an overhaul. The SH-AWD system is great and highly sophisticated, too bad the most innovative name they could think of was "Super-Handling." In a class segment where looks and names are everything, you need something more impressive sounding.

Another thing is that Honda has 3 hybrids which barely anyone knows about. The Civic Hybrid is probably the most recognized Honda hybrid but the Accord and Insight are just down and out. If Honda could just get a stronger marketing department I believe they would have an improved public image other than just being safe, conservative Honda.

Edited by big blue

Fuc*ing hypocrites.

"We're all about our principles of FWD and small 4 cylinders & V6s"

except when the world wakes up to the superiority of RWD & V8s.

...then we'll jst jump on the NEW bandwagon. Loosers.

Fuc*ing hypocrites.

226589[/snapback]

Ok, you critisize Honda for having underpowered cars, now you're critisizing them for jumping the bandwagon.

Though I agree with Polish_Kris' about the "bandwagon" comment being a little unfair, I would say that in general, companies that present themselves as "green" or "fuel-efficient" better be prepared for some serious flack when they ad a big gas-guzzling V8 to their lineup.

Getting that out of the way, Honda finally has a V8 engine but is it too little too late? Honda is the last of the big three Japanese companies to come out with a V8 and the other guys are moving ahead at a fast rate at improving their offerings to match the domestics.

It will be interesting to see what they're going to put this in other then the Acuras.

companies that present themselves as "green" or "fuel-efficient" better be prepared for some serious flack when they ad a big gas-guzzling V8 to their lineup.

Gas-guzzling V8? We're not talking about a big 6.0L V8 in a giant SUV. Chances are this V8 will displace around 4.0-4.5L, and have a bunch of new-fangled technologies to make it very efficient (like a-Vtec with continuously variable valve lift and timing control).

Getting that out of the way, Honda finally has a V8 engine but is it too little too late?  Honda is the last of the big three Japanese companies to come out with a V8 and the other guys are moving ahead at a fast rate at improving their offerings to match the domestics. 

Too little too late for the company that has had 10 consecutive years of record sales and what looks to be an 11th year soon (they're already at a 3.6% increase from last year at this time, only one month to go)?

It will be interesting to see what they're going to put this in other then the Acuras.

226619[/snapback]

No Honda's will receive a V8, this is just for a couple of the Acura's (I'm guessing FMC RL first, then maybe the MDX).

Fuc*ing hypocrites.

226589[/snapback]

?? Where does it say this?

Gas-guzzling V8? We're not talking about a big 6.0L V8 in a giant SUV. Chances are this V8 will displace around 4.0-4.5L, and have a bunch of new-fangled technologies to make it very efficient (like a-Vtec with continuously variable valve lift and timing control).

Too little too late for the company that has had 10 consecutive years of record sales and what looks to be an 11th year soon (they're already at a 3.6% increase from last year at this time, only one month to go)?

No Honda's will receive a V8, this is just for a couple of the Acura's (I'm guessing FMC RL first, then maybe the MDX).

226653[/snapback]

I'm going to answer all of your remarks in order as best as I can:

I should've put quotations around Gas-guzzling. As of recent, V-8s have been getting bad press even though a lot of the time it is completely uncalled for. I'm just stating what we know the greenies will say.

Also, by too little too late, will people accept a V-8 with the supposed shift in the auto industry towards fuel efficient V-6, I-4 engines? I've been reading so much about this trend in Motortrend and CarandDriver that it must be true. Right? (SARCASM) Take a look at the recent Silverado test for an example in Motortrend.

Also, You can't guarantee success from a new tech like a V-8 and now that the ice caps are melting as a direct result of v-8 engines (MORE SARCASM), is it bad timing to come out with a V-8? I'm just putting these questions out there to have people think.

You never know about the V-8. It may be Acura now, but in a few years the Pilot or the Ridgeline may get it. I wouldn't count them out as candidates just because they're not Acuras.

If Honda made a BOF, V8 powered hardtop it would most likely

still be FWD, ugly as sin and the sheet metal would be made of

aluminum foil & dental floss just like all the other 'tin cans' they

make, thus I would still be mostly repulsed by it.

But in some bizzaro world, if the 1996 Caprice Classic wore a

Honda badge but was otherwise unchanged I'd still love it.

If Honda made a BOF, V8 powered hardtop it would most likely

still be FWD, ugly as sin and the sheet metal would be made of

aluminum foil & dental floss just like all the other 'tin cans' they

make, thus I would still be mostly repulsed by it.

226679[/snapback]

I just can't get any love around here. :(:(:(

Posted Image

Edited by Oldsmoboi

I just can't get any love around here.  :(  :(  :(

Posted Image

226703[/snapback]

The Toronado is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Here's the rule of FWD:

FWD cars are always inherantly inferior to RWD vehicles...

...unless at least one of the following criteria are met:

1. The car is Pre-WWII, esp. if it is a "boattail" or "coffin nose"

2. The vehicle is powered by a inline-8 motor

3. The motor is mounted longitudinally in the chassis. (lengthwise)

4. The power from the flywheel is transfered to the TH425 via a "Morris Chain"

5. Razorback or Bustleback styling (which automaticaly means criteria 3 & 4 is met)

6. If it is one of the XP-784 prototypes.

7. One & only one truly great car exists that has transverse mounted motor: 1959 MINI.

So please stop assuming I hate the toronado, Cords, '67 Eldorados

and such.... those cars were cool because their FWd was smart,

beneficial and it set them appart.... instead of making them just like

every other car on the road. I could go on & on & on but I will not.

hypocrisy

SYLLABICATION: hy·poc·ri·sy

PRONUNCIATION:  h-pkr-s

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. hy·poc·ri·sies

1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness. 2. An act or instance of such falseness.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English ipocrisie, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrisis, play-acting, pretense, from Greek hupokrisis, from hupokrnesthai, to play a part, pretend : hupo-, hypo- + krnesthai, to explain, middle voice of krnein, to decide, judge; see krei- in Appendix I.

The Toronado is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Here's the rule of FWD:

FWD cars are always inherantly inferior to RWD vehicles...

...unless at least one of the following criteria are met:

1. The car is Pre-WWII, esp. if it is a "boattail" or "coffin nose"

2. The vehicle is powered by a inline-8 motor

3. The motor is mounted longitudinally in the chassis. (lengthwise)

4. The power from the flywheel is transfered to the TH425 via a "Morris Chain"

5. Razorback or Bustleback styling (which automaticaly means criteria 3 & 4 is met)

6. If it is one of the XP-784 prototypes.

7. One & only one truly great car exists that has transverse mounted motor: 1959 MINI.

So please stop assuming I hate the toronado, Cords, '67 Eldorados

and such.... those cars were cool because their FWd was smart,

beneficial and it set them appart.... instead of making them just like

every other car on the road. I could go on & on & on but I will not.

226786[/snapback]

When I become as rich as Jay Leno, I'm going to build a transverse mounted, I8, Toronado Wagon, just to piss you off. :ohyeah::lol:

FWD cars are always inherantly inferior to RWD vehicles.

226786[/snapback]

All Acura's, with the exception of maybe the TSX, are moving to AWD (and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the TSX will be AWD too). All Honda cars (with the exception of sports cars) will remain FWD since they are, after all, economy cars. FWD has a lot of advantages over RWD in that area and I'm sure you know that, you're just being sarcastic.

The main reason that Honda is thinking about v8s and rear wheel drive is because they know that Acura will never be a legitimate contender in the luxury department with out them. They know they need an engine that can make class leading power and a drive train that can put it down. :twocents:

The main reason that Honda is thinking about v8s and rear wheel drive is because they know that Acura will never be a legitimate contender in the luxury department with out them. They know they need an engine that can make class leading power and a drive train that can put it down. :twocents:

226899[/snapback]

Yeah, they want a piece of the Lexus/Infiniti action..

Someone explain to me why Lincoln is essentially ditching them while Acura is getting them?

226903[/snapback]

Because Lincoln is just a Ford with a giant chrome grille? It seems like while Acura is trying to move upscale, Lincoln is going the opposite direction.

When I become as rich as Jay Leno, I'm going to build a transverse mounted, I8, Toronado Wagon, just to piss you off.  :ohyeah:  :lol:

226802[/snapback]

So where are you going to find a 8 foot wide Toronado?

Maybe you can slice up a couple of those Airport Limo

toronados and make ONE wide enough to swallow a

6 foot long Lycoming inline-8. :wink:

And why would this piss me off? I'm not THAT crazy

about Toronados. Jay Leno's RWD '66 Toronado is a

fantastic "f**k you" to the "superiority" of FWD. Jay

is the ultimate car guy, bar none. He made a very

powerfull statement wiht that car and I love it.

maybe if' I'm ever "Jay Leno rich" I'll buy about TWENTY

1930-1934 V-16 Cadillacs and a few Duesenbergs

and paint them all up with with TIGHT WHIPS logos. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sixty8panther

WOW!!! Looks like the "environemntal company" ain't so environmental when it comes to cashing in... (What a surprise)

You know, I seem to DISTINCTLY remember one of our "insiders" (I wont name any names) predicting not too long ago that the V8 would become passe and un-needed. Seems like that's really starting to come to fruition, especially now that the one company that was holding out is now pushing for V8s (Feel the sarcasm?)

How many people want to place bets with me that the next Ridgeline will feature V8 power and will be as big and "overwrought, useless, tacky" (Pick your favorite adjective that the media uses to describe REAL trucks/SUVs) as the rest of the domestics... Then we'll have to listen to the media dance around and justify and PRAISE the hell out of that after a decade of Honda slurping and thinking that they (Honda) are the saviors of the green party. Get the picture?

You know, I seem to DISTINCTLY remember one of our "insiders" (I wont name any names) predicting not too long ago that the V8 would become passe and un-needed. Seems like that's really starting to come to fruition, especially now that the one company that was holding out is now pushing for V8s (Feel the sarcasm?)

227109[/snapback]

Ouch! :duh::P

:pokeowned: x 1,000,000

I agree. If Honda who has been preaching about the evils of V8

motors in passanger cars is going to jump on the bandwagon

then you KNOW the V8 is here to stay. You know what would be

kind of neat? A ground up 21st century version of the BOP 215.

Honda could make like a 2.5 liter DOHC V8 with VVTi etc... that

would be worht swappign into an Acura and converting it to RWD

versus all the loosers who spend $5000 just to put a used 1.8

liter four cylinder in a civic that originally came with basically the

same motor but in 1.6 liter guise. Way to spend your money you

dope... thousands of dollars and wasted time all for what in the

end results in exactly12.2 cubich inches and about 15 horsepower

at the FRTON wheels.

I'd rather shoot myself in the face with a sawed-off.

WOW!!! Looks like the "environemntal company" ain't so environmental when it comes to cashing in... (What a surprise)

How many people want to place bets with me that the next Ridgeline will feature V8 power and will be as big and "overwrought, useless, tacky" (Pick your favorite adjective that the media uses to describe REAL trucks/SUVs) as the rest of the domestics... Then we'll have to listen to the media dance around and justify and PRAISE the hell out of that after a decade of Honda slurping and thinking that they (Honda) are the saviors of the green party. Get the picture?

227109[/snapback]

FOG you are an idiot. Might I suggest you cross your legs because there is already enough crap coming out of your mouth.

Don't take my words out of context.

8 years on these boards - and you still have not matured.

Edited by evok

FOG you are an idiot.  Might I suggest you cross your legs because there is already enough crap coming out of your mouth.

227222[/snapback]

evok, I've noticed a particularly harsher tone in your posts over the last few weeks. Normally you don't resort to name calling, but this is the 3rd instance off the top of my head in the last week or two.

Everything ok at home? Winter blues? What's wrong?

227109[/snapback]

The head of American R&D is pushing for V8's in some Acura models, since it is obviously needed in order for Acura to compete in the upper price bracket. However nothing is official, the CEO hasn't given the go ahead, this is just a speculation. Notice the title "Acura may be ready for a V8".

Even if the next RL/MDX have a 4.0L-4.5L V8, and the next NSX has a 4.5L V10, Honda will still undoubtedly have the best CAFE rating among larger manufacturers. So saying they will suddenly cease to be an environmental company and start cashing in on V8's, is a bad exaggeration.

If Honda who has been preaching about the evils of V8 motors in passanger cars

Have they? I think you're confusing Honda with Toyota :AH-HA_wink:

Honda could make like a 2.5 liter DOHC V8

They do. Except it's only 2.4L and makes over 700hp.

Edited by siegen

WOW!!! Looks like the "environemntal company" ain't so environmental when it comes to cashing in... Then we'll have to listen to the media dance around and justify and PRAISE the hell out of that after a decade of Honda slurping and thinking that they (Honda) are the saviors of the green party. Get the picture?

227109[/snapback]

Whatever happened to being late to the party?

If you truly believe the media is that influential you underestimate most people. Or you just consider yourself too smart as not to fall for it.

Maybe GM should bail on hybrids and continue to build giant V8's that not many people are buying.--except mostly in...what? Trucks.

Then we'll have to listen to the media dance around

What would a media dance sound like anyway. Im guessing tap because only the tango and shuffle have an identifiable signature to their sound.

I test drove an Acura TSX over the weekend and this is what the sales manager had to tell about the future Acuras

1. Acura TL will go RWD/AWD with possibility of a diesel V6 they are planning in 2009.

2. TSX will go AWD too in 09 with the 2L turbo from the RDX, which is already confimed for the 2008 with an addition of 2.2L diesel (est 200HP).

3. TSX coupe and a convertible (possibility here) is in works since RSX is dearly departed in 18 days.

4. RDX may get a 6-speed.

5. MDX and RL will be the chief beneficiaries of V-8. AND they are expecting another SUV, possibly a GL, RR, Escalade Competitor.

6. NSX with a V-8 or possibly a V-12 in 2009.

We talked for almost three hours, and he seemed pretty knowledgeable when it came to what his cars were.

Edited by 79VetteZ06

Honda will still undoubtedly have the best CAFE rating among larger manufacturers.

227230[/snapback]

by having the smallest lineup among the larger manufacturers.

Seriously, Honda doesn't get to truly play with big boys until they get into true full sized trucks.

Honda having the best CAFE rating compared to Toyota, GM and Ford is like Subaru claiming best CAFE rating compared to Toyota, GM and Ford. It's fairly meaningless when they don't play in the entire market.

Tesla has a better CAFE rating than Honda.... that argument is just as valid.

I test drove an Acura TSX over the weekend and this is what the sales manager had to tell about the future Acuras

1. Acura TL will go RWD/AWD with possibility of a diesel V6 they are planning in 2009.

2. TSX will go AWD too in 09 with the 2L turbo from the RDX, which is already confimed for the 2008 with an addition of 2.2L diesel (est 200HP).

3. TSX coupe and a convertible (possibility here) is in works since RSX is dearly departed in 18 days.

4. RDX may get a 6-speed.

5. MDX and RL will be the chief beneficiaries of V-8. AND they are expecting another SUV, possibly a GL, RR Escalade Competior.

6. NSX with a V-8 or possibly a V-12 in 2009.

We talked for almost three hours, and he seemed pretty knowledgeable when it came to what his cars were.

227235[/snapback]

1. The CEO said there is a possibly of the Diesel V6 finding its way into the MDX, but that is all. I highly doubt they would put it in a sedan, Honda or Acura.

2. Nothing has been announced yet. Where did he get this info?

6. NSX will have a V-10, that was announced over a year ago. It will probably displace around 4.5L and put out around 550hp (although the size/power are just rumors from Japanese mags).

I doubt Honda intends to compete with the big boys in the pickup field. They're witness to how much Nissan and Toyota are spending to fight for what is essentially a greater portion of the same small piece of pie.

Honda's future success will come from exploiting the niche gaps in the existing market as well as their traditional Accord/Civic success.

Sixty8: If Honda who has been preaching about the evils of V8 motors in passanger cars

Have they? I think you're confusing Honda with Toyota  :AH-HA_wink:

227230[/snapback]

No I'm NOT confusinfg anything!

Several times in the past decade they have stood up on a

soapbox and preached down theior nose about how they

will never engage in manufacturing BOf vehicles, V8s or

oversized pickups.

Honda/Acura makes me sick.

All those ads in AutoWeek of F1 cars doign burnouts...

I'd love to see a production car from them that does not

suck like a Hoover... The S2000 is lame and the NSX

was 8 years past it's expiration date by the time it was

pulled off the market. What did they sell the last year it

was sold here... like 3 of them? :rolleyes:

Sixty8: Honda could make like a 2.5 liter DOHC V8

They do. Except it's only 2.4L and makes over 700hp.

227230[/snapback]

Really?

Which dealerhip did you visit when you saw this V8 powered,

one passanger race car with 700 horsepower?

GM has 2.0 liter Ecotec 4 cylinders making 700 horsepower

in race cars (NHRA) that does not mean ANYTHING in an

argument about production cars. <_<