Sign in to follow this  
Flybrian

Sketch Competition #14 - Next-Generation Cobalt

Welcome to Sketch Competition #14!

Posted Image

The Cobalt is getting old. Well. No. Not entirely, though with the competition constantly evolving and GM's own sister divisions getting hot new products like Saturn's Astra, it doesn't seem like a mere three years have gone by. Its not arguable that the current Cobalt brought Chevrolet into a level playing field in the crowded small compact market, but aside from the supercharged SS coupe, the rest of the line seems little more than competent.

Let's change that.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to create the next generation of Chevrolet small car. Remember that the Cobalt should remain tidy in exterior dimensions, but the rest is up to you. Small cars come in a plethora of bodystyles from 2-door coupes to five-door wagons and everything in between. Maybe you want to sketch a hot factory tuned sportcoupe or a forward-thinking sedan. It may even be time to resurrect the spirit of the Cavalier convertible for a fun little ragtop. Do with it what you wish and use existing Chevy design cues or make up new ones of your own. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View
-3/4 Rear View
-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above. Also, if you want to include special features, by all means point them out!

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this must be a Chevrolet vehicle.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

Deadline is Friday, February 23rd @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

Nice concept...im thinkin RWD on this one .

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ummn.......... unless it's riding on a different platform, the Delta Platform doesn't handle RWD..........

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ummn.......... unless it's riding on a different platform, the Delta Platform doesn't handle RWD..........

So ditch Delta. Throw it in the dumpster and come up with your own idea.

It's just a sketch, we're not asking GM to invest money in it. I for one

would love to see GM go 95% RWD with FWD being only for the TINY little

Korean based econoboxes. AWD optional (rear bias) in most everyhing.

So ditch Delta. Throw it in the dumpster and come up with your own idea.

It's just a sketch, we're not asking GM to invest money in it. I for one

would love to see GM go 95% RWD with FWD being only for the TINY little

Korean based econoboxes. AWD optional (rear bias) in most everyhing.

Aye Capitan !....FWD can walk der plank !...off with it to Davy Jones says I.

RWD/AWD Cobalts comin UP ! :thumbsup:

Aye Capitan !....FWD can walk der plank !...off with it to Davy Jones says I.

RWD/AWD Cobalts comin UP ! :thumbsup:

My two cents:

True, you can design any kind of platform you want, and maybe there are some performance benefits to driving the rear wheels over the front. we are talking about a relatively inexpensive vehicle whose primary purpose is to get your body, and a number of friend, relations, and/or significant others from one place to another as efficiently as possible. You want to make the most efficient use of the limited interior space available, and for better or worse, right now that means front wheel drive. Cars like the Mini Cooper, and the Golf GTI show that desirable performance cars and FWD are not mutually exclusive. Making a fun, desirable car for the everyman, is certainly more of a challenge compared to something that retails fo rhte price of a house, but I think it's a worthy challenge.

Just something to think about.

Edited by rjbartrop

I think FWD is definitely viable for affordable, practical performance. But to get back on topic, I will be trying to design one for this. I like yours rj, even if it's a little 80's.

Here's a sportwagon/hatch version of my sport coupe design. The idea was a compact version of the Dodge Magnum, though I keep getting this nagging feeling that I've reinvented the Gremlin.

Posted Image

Heres where I want the Cobalt to go . To be real I used GM's own concept cars to make this one . The sedan needs to be bigger , so this one is about in between a Jetta and Focus size wise . I chose to do Sema type versions .

Cross the Volt with the WTTC rally car =

Posted Image

Edited by silverss/sc

Here's my Contest sketch (still a WIP)

blew my mind that I could do something like this.

It's partly WTCC , and partly current cobalt and silverss/sc's volt/WTCC sketch.

Here it is, the Cobalt SSC (super sport supercharged)

232HP, AWD, I-4 ecotec.

Sport Model gets only 173HP, and FWD (AWD is an option on all model grades) (173 is in the current N/A cobalt)

LS, LT and LTZ gets the Current 148 Ecotec.

Posted Image

Heres where I want the Cobalt to go . To be real I used GM's own concept cars to make this one . The sedan needs to be bigger , so this one is about in between a Jetta and Focus size wise . I chose to do Sema type versions .

Posted Image

That has my vote

Posted Image

That's pretty neat! It gets my vote.

-- Deleted --

I decided to add interior view, make some minor tweaks to the front view and change the accompanying text somewhat.

Please see the new entry.

Edited by dwightlooi