UAW committed to organizing Toyota workers

regfootball

UAW committed to organizing Toyota workers

reuters

Gettelfinger said leaked documents from Toyota's Georgetown, Ky., plant have led to "increased activity" in organizing at the plant.

The leaked documents, according to newspaper reports, said Toyota is looking at decreasing its labor costs, including wages, to cut expenses.

Well, seems like toyota's arrogance and quest to cheap out has caught the ire of the UAW........seems like some of the current workers got P'oed.........

consider Toyota officially above the radar now....LOL!!!!!!

Toyota's president for North America Jim Press said in Detroit on Tuesday that unionizing is an option that workers have.

"It's really up to them whether they want representation," Press told reporters.

translation, "it's really up to them if they want to sign their own deathwish.......they might want to think twice, we could always close the plants..."

Edited by regfootball

Yeah... Toyota employees are going to want to unionize...

... when the already unionized Domestic automakers are busy restructuring and getting rid of employees, and facing huge legacy costs. Chrysler is barely keeping it's head above the water, and Toyota employees will want to unionize?!

Yeah... bull-$h!.

Unions aren't all bad, but the brother of a co-worker makes something like 60k a year swweping floors in a Ford Plant.

Personally I like the idea of keeping the unions but scaling back wages and benifits to more reasonable levels. Someone needs to make sure that training standards are met, safety standards are met, and that workers have some form of representation.

My next door neighbor in the 70's and early 80's was a labor negotiator for G.M. and there are indeed two sides to the issue.

But the big three do need to re-negotiate their contracts.

Otherwise, we'll all be driving Chinese cars and I'd wager that even Sixty8Panter would drive a Camry before he'd drive a Chinese car.

No offense intended, of course.

Chris

Toyota might just feel GM's pain see if they can do any better. They deserve the f*cking unions raping them for every last quater they have. I hope Toyota has a union at ALL North Ameircan plants. Serves those bastards right, lets see how mucht that hurts your profits and chance of World Domination. Suckers, if they are stupid we all know they are and get the bloody union in this day and age they frankly deserve it? Any new updates on GM and Chyrsler?

Toyota might just feel GM's pain see if they can do any better. They deserve the f*cking unions raping them for every last quater they have. I hope Toyota has a union at ALL North Ameircan plants. Serves those bastards right, lets see how mucht that hurts your profits and chance of World Domination. Suckers, if they are stupid we all know they are and get the bloody union in this day and age they frankly deserve it? Any new updates on GM and Chyrsler?

Um... you do realize that the employees would have to vote in order to allow the UAW into their facilities. I have a feeling that most Toyota employees have no interest whatsoever to become unionized.

I fail to see how they "deserve" having their plants being unionized if they treat their workers well.

I fail to see how they "deserve" having their plants being unionized if they treat their workers well.

They are making billions upon billions of dollars every quarter....and they are talking about cutting wages. That alone should make the workers want to unionize. The Big 3 are paying their workers more or the same, and they are losing billions.

Why shouldn't Toyota be paying the people that are making the cars more, because of all the profits they are creating?? That's what the UAW will be asking the Toyota employees.

>>"UAW, which has a stronghold among U.S. automakers and suppliers, has so far been unsuccessful in its efforts to organize workers at U.S. plants owned by Japanese automakers."<<

Oh-ho: here toyota is a "japanese' company, not 'American' as usual via the media ??? The inconsistancy is dizzying.

Edited by balthazar

They are making billions upon billions of dollars every quarter....and they are talking about cutting wages. That alone should make the workers want to unionize. The Big 3 are paying their workers more or the same, and they are losing billions.

Why shouldn't Toyota be paying the people that are making the cars more, because of all the profits they are creating?? That's what the UAW will be asking the Toyota employees.

When was it announced that they are cutting wages?

And last I heard, at at least one Toyota plant workers there earn more than the workers in unionized domestic plants do:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=15171

>>"UAW, which has a stronghold among U.S. automakers and suppliers, has so far been unsuccessful in its efforts to organize workers at U.S. plants owned by Japanese automakers."<<

Oh-ho: here toyota is a "japanese' company- why not 'American' always in the media??? The inconsistancy is dizzying.

Not everyone in the media thinks the exact same way. Inconsistency in viewpoints really shouldn't be a shock or a point of castigation.

When was it announced that they are cutting wages?

And last I heard, at at least one Toyota plant workers there earn more than the workers in unionized domestic plants do:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=15171

This rumor is all the UAW needs to go on:

The leaked documents, according to newspaper reports, said Toyota is looking at decreasing its labor costs, including wages, to cut expenses.

The article you linked shows the extents that Toyota will go to, to keep the UAW out. It is kinda shady that they compared the whole UAW (which includes lower paying suppliers, and not just Big 3 plants) to just one of Toyota's plants. I'm sure the whole point loses merit, if you were to compare all of Toyota's plants to say all of GM's plants.

Except this particular instance is not presented nor implied to be opinion, but a 'factual label'. Sure, disagreements are still possible, but one would think a singular 'factual' label could reach some sort of public consensus/definition. However, the only consistancy I have observed to date is useage in step with the journalistic agenda: toyota is 'japanese' when the virtues of it's efficiency or quality or worker relations are concerned, and 'American' where guilt seemingly needs consoling over sales volumes or profits going overseas.

The Big Three didn't have a lot of choices, or don't ya know that Ford hired a lot of thugs to break up the unions as they were forming. Just look at what the last strike cost GM in '98. Many dealers closed their doors by late summer of that year - there was nothing left to sell. Unions served a great purpose 75 years ago, but they have overstayed their welcome, IMO. In the interests of playing fair (something that Japan Inc. wouldn't know anything about), it would look good on Toyota if they were organized - by the union, that is!

Well, as was mentioned previously it's not up to Toyota; it's up to their workers to decide if they want to unionize. And seeing as how they, so far, haven't decided to unionize they seem pretty happy with their current job situation, so...

f@#k the unions.

I'd rather see them all die out than spread anywhere else, even to GM's biggest competitor.

in at least one sense, I think the UAW gettin into Toyota would be bad for GM because not only would it make the UAW more powerful, it would make them more arrogant as well.

Edited by Dragon

Not everyone in the media thinks the exact same way. Inconsistency in viewpoints really shouldn't be a shock or a point of castigation.

my priest told me too much castigation would make me go blind. and it hurts your hand.

----

thing is, if the threat of unionizing is there, all toyota has to do is threaten to close the plant and move the jobs back to japan. then, strong arm the government......."your jobs are gone unless you help us keep the union out, or unless you give us more money and incentives'. I can see this already. Toyota then can play good cop.....we want to keep your jobs here but YOU are not making it fair for us to do so.

If GM tries that, shutting down a plant, its illegal or bad PR or bloody murder. If Toyota says we're shutting down, its the workers fault, or the union's fault or the government's fault. They have an out no matterwhat the scenario because they really don't care about contributing to the US economy as much as US companies do and as they do about sending back yen or whatever their money is.

All the while the $$$$$$$ go back to japan.

Take the new toyota truck plant as an example. Sure, they spent big money on it, but if they have to unionize it, chances are they would either move higher volume product to that plant and sell off another plant its being replaced by, or, flat out abandon the plant and sell it to any bidder. If they decide to keep the plant and run it with union, they will simply scale down production or find a way to cheapen the product to make up that union cost. Once reneg time comes around, then kill the plant. toyota can afford to walk away from it.

Edited by regfootball

If anything, wish big corporations could work together to get rid of unions.

The USW reduces productivity soooo much where I currently work (I'm not in the car business). Their leaders don't care about quality and are too arrogent to realize that all of our jobs are in danger of being outsourced or lost.

If anything, wish big corporations could work together to get rid of unions.

The USW reduces productivity soooo much where I currently work (I'm not in the car business). Their leaders don't care about quality and are too arrogent to realize that all of our jobs are in danger of being outsourced or lost.

I work at a union Oil company, I like the union's values.. they just do not pan out. There are so many things that it does to slow down production. Point and case: A dual ticketed person cannot do both trades at a time. (Welder/Electrician cannot weld on a bracket and install the device, only weld or only install the device. Basically defeating the purpose of paying more for a dual ticket.) Also the membership is greedy, (we)they turned down a secure 7.5% raise per year for 5 years with the belief that oil is going to go higher and we should sign a 2 year deal and demand 15% per year....... who gets a raise like that.. especially a workforce of nearly 3000.

To answer 66's question, can he name one union that is GOOD?

Here are my experiences with unions:

1) worked for the provincial government in the summer of '79 as temporary work. What a mess! The department head (who made the princely sum of $32k a year (worth, what, $75k a year today?) basically had no job and was organizing different colored pales for paper recycling, after he came back from 5 weeks holidays! One old guy rolled cigarettes all day and only had 2 mail routes through the government building (which took him maybe 30 minutes each.) When I asked my supervisor why this guy wasn't fired, she said because he had 3 years to go to retirement.

2) worked in a unionized hotel a couple years later. One of the guys got caught smoking pot on the job (they were all high) and was terminated. He busted up the employee locker room, ripping a sink out of the wall and caving in 3 lockers. The union got his job back but he had to pay for the damages, poor dear!

3) My buddy worked for the post office for 3 months. He kept getting threats from co-workers to slow down. The pressure was enormous. He decided the money wasn't worth it and quit.

4) teachers! what about the one who had a coke addiction and was suspended 3 times before finally getting on medical leave. Their attitude of entitlement is legendary.

I can't speak directly to the UAW/CAW, but I think you can see where I am coming from. This isn't the Thirties any more. There is a lot of legislation to protect worker's rights and safety. Unions have become a power in their own right.

Fair is fair. Burn in hell Toyota!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/29/uaw-hos...toyota-workers/

The Detroit News is reporting that the United Auto Workers union is hosting a town hall meeting for workers at Toyota's manufacturing plant in Kentucky this Saturday. Not an organization known to mince words, the UAW has labeled the meeting's topic as "The Human cost of Toyota's Success". A press release issued about the meeting states that workers will talk about on-the-job injuries, the use of temps, and concerns about conditions at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky. In attendance will be UAW Vice President Terry Thurman.

maybe its time for shoppers to boycott and strike against the unions...i.e. do not buy anything UAW made.

Edited by regfootball

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/29/uaw-hos...toyota-workers/

maybe its time for shoppers to boycott and strike against the unions...i.e. do not buy anything UAW made.

Um... great idea. But wouldn't that hurt GM and Ford and Chrysler BEFORE it hurts the unions? The unions would love it if Ford collapsed, because the union would claim it shows that their solidarity has triumphed over 'greed.'

It's up to the employees, and Toyota will get no love from the government if they try to prevent their organization. In the end, I think that the employees will get half of what they want, and will become disgruntled and annoyed. This will promote unhealthy working conditions that might provoke lower standards of quality-care. It's either this, or Toyota executives will be comfortable with the additional operational expenses of employee benefits against their bottom-line ...LOL yeah...RIGHT!

My take on unions is that they had their place before my time. Now, I have to deal with employees who feel entitled to their sick time as regular days off, and take "holidays" whenever they feel like taking a day or so off. This is usually if they don't feel like working a scheduled Sunday or busy long-weekend sales week. If I request a doctor's note, I get a phone call from the union saying that requests for doctor's notes cannot be made of a sick employee until after three consecutive days off the job. Guess what happens on the third day, a MIRACLE occurs and the employee shows up for work with no trace of illness.

Granted, particular rules, like the one above, have been negotiated for and agreed upon by both the employer and the union; however, it doesn't help when employees vote to strike in order to gain the right to do the &#036;h&#33;ty things they do (such as the example above). Provide proof that an employee willfully neglected his duties and lied to his superior regarding being able-bodied to perform his/her job and you have to NEGOTIATE their discepline; which means, both parties meet in the middle, between a slap on the wrist or dismissal. So, even though a union handbook would specify discepline for such a situation to be up to-or including dismissal, the utmost an employee is likely to get is a letter of reprimand and a one-week suspension. What does this do? We're forced to retain &#036;h&#33;ty employees, and morale is given a hit because good employees see it as an inability of management to get rid of or properly train the mentally and employably useless. When somebody says, "Well, you hired him!" I want to snap rubber bands on their forehead while shouting, "PEOPLE WILL SAY ANYTHING JUST TO GET A PAYCHECK, DUMBASS!"

"Attitudes of Entitlement" are my biggest pet peeve in life, and I have unions to thank for it.

The UAW and Toyota deserve each other. Both are negative forces here in the US and I would derive a great deal of pleasure seeing Toyota shut down for a few weeks by a strike. Let them feel equality for a change.

However, I'd rather see the UAW cave to the domestics allowing them to regain share on their own merits on a level playing field. Long term, anything that would strengthen the UAW as much as a unionized Toyota can't be good for GM,Ford, and DCX.