Nov. MT says Solstice to get V8

Yeah right. I dont believe that, Motor Trend is full of shit. They said awhile back when Zeta was cancelled that everything is a go. Now in retrospect we really know things are a go, but at that point nobody knew that. If that is the plan however, where does that place the business case for the Camaro? Is there still one if the Solstice gets a V8? Edited by milleramerican

If this is true than all I have to say is "Hello Trans Am!" I'm also glad that the coupe is getting the green light. I love the coupe's profile.

Posted Image

If this is true than all I have to say is "Hello Trans Am!" I'm also glad that the coupe is getting the green light. I love the coupe's profile.

Posted Image

[post="21832"][/post]

well you cant take a convertable to some of the road courses and tracks... so in order to define Pontiac as a Pefromance Devision you must know what its capable of... COUPE!!!

I'd love to see a Trans Am Solstice...

that would be awesome, although it kinda ruins it to have a 4 banger and a v8... when the 4 banger is supposed to be ample...

I dont believe it...

I think evok, AH-HA, or the griffon had said previously that Kappa won't handle a V8 without extensive reinforcements. I don't think we'll see anything more than a forced induction 4cyl on this version of Kappa.

I'm sure the V8 can be shoehorned in, but can the car still pass crash tests with a big V8 in under the hood? That wouild be/might be the deal breaker.

With extensive modifcations they could fit it in, but it has been said that a GM version would no longer be the same architecture. If GM is satisfied with the Solstice production model it could be done, but like the original Cobra and the similar Sunbeam Tiger it would be relatively expensive. You probably wouldn't get much change from $40K (perhaps more). While it would be one h... of a halo car, GM might not think the potential sales worth the investment.

Wouldnt it simply be a de engineered Corvette ? What would be the point, a killer engine in an inadequate chassis for a few pennys less than a Corvette. GM just needs to continue developing more performance out of its 4 cylinder and this Kappa is the halo developement car to do it in. You need cars for every class, not all cars in the same class. The Cobra was completely different from its AC Ace brother but the Tiger was simply a shoehorn job and it did not handle or brake as well as the Alpine. Edited by razoredge

If they do it, they need to make a Caddy Kappa. Mini-XLR anyone?

[post="22054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes please! :D

Squeezing an 8 into the Impala and GXP was a stretch so how the hell do you get one into a Solstice?

[post="21978"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Impala and GXP- the engine is transverse mounted, with a X frame
underneath. The Solstice has big 3x8 frame rails extending fwd to the rad
support, that are far apart... with the engine out, it looks like a big block
would fit in there. The chassis was intended for so much more.

Put on yer helmets.

While V8s would be nice... they'd be expensive, obviously. I'm fine with it sticking to I4s. I'm also fine with Caddy and every other brand keeping their hands off of Kappa. I'm really not a fan of every brand getting this and that... especially this type of platform. Leave it to Pontiac and Saturn. Caddy has the XLR, Chevy has the Vette, Buick has... too many elderly buyers. :D It's about time Pontiac gets something that every other brand doesn't...

The 4.0 liter No* is no smaller than the standard issue 4.6L. The difference is all in bore/stroke. Edited by Sixty8panther

I know this isn't the topic, but why would you want a V8 in a car like the Solstice? As it is now, the car is a balanced roadster. With FI, it will still be pretty balanced (seeing as how the mags are saying the chassis feels like it could do with more power).

What you all are asking for is a pony car. I'm not saying that isn't a valid request, given the Mustang's commercial viability. But the Solstice body, in coupe or convertible form, isn't anything like a pony car. We need a four-place, slightly larger, V8 powered, RWD car. That isn't what Kappa is, nor is it what it should be.

(And what it should be is a question unto itself. IMHO, it should be a versitile, small engined, RWD small car platform. Not just a pair of roadsters, but a small hatchback, a small coupe, and maybe even a very small four door sedan, all with lively four cylinders and RWD. The market is begging for this. Give me a plain-jane coupe on Kappa and I'd buy it in a second, give me a MINI-esque hatchback, and I'd order one without driving it.)

Tony

I'm just looking at a Kappa roadster for Cadillac to be able to take on the likes of the Z4 and SLR. I'm certain and A&S Kappa could beat the pants off BMW and Benx in the small roadster department as far as looks are concerned.

I know this isn't the topic, but why would you want a V8 in a car like the Solstice?  As it is now, the car is a balanced roadster.  With FI, it will still be pretty balanced (seeing as how the mags are saying the chassis feels like it could do with more power).

[post="22464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They're screaming for a modern-day, GM-style Cobra.

If a 302 can be crammed into older Miatas, the smallblock can get into the Solstice.

But personally, I'd be happy with throwing in the HF.

I think many of these conversions will happen....thing is, we're gonna have to see 200,000 Solstices and Skies hit the road and five years pass by.

• 2 months later...

From page 26 in the Nov. MT:

"... A V8 is also reportedly on the agenda for the Pontiac Solstice. We've been assured by a senior GM exec that a V8 will fit between the rails. Sounds like a recipe for a 21st-century Cobra."

[post="21582"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't put alot of faith in MT's future cars section. No car mag gets it right all the time (a few months ago, Automobile magazine said the Camaro was dead but that GTO was very much alive), but the average person who follows this or other sites devoted to future vehicles knows more than the guy(s) running MT's "future" section.

the Solstice is already getting the turbocharged ecotec for 2007 as an option. it will have between 240-260 hp.. If a V8 was offered it would probably be a 5.3L the same one used in the Impala.. the only problem with adding a V8 is added weight.. and a V8 model would cost around 30K.. another option would be a V6, does anyone know if the 3.6L DOHC V6 would fit in the solstice??