dwightlooi

GM's silly engine covers...

60 posts in this topic

GM has picked up the habit of putting dress up covers on their engines which succeed only to:-

(1) Make the build quality look cheap -- even Hyundai has nicer and higher quality (appearing) covers.

(2) Make some otherwise very good looking engines and manifolds look like a Rubbermaid trashcan.

This is the latest rendition... can anyone say that the "covered" engine (below) looks sexier, higher quality or more advanced?

Posted Image

Jeez... enough of these garbage can lids already. They are not worth $0.05. How about spending the money on say a suede leather cover for the owner's manual (or whatever) instead!

My "cover" on my 3800 isn't that bad of quality. I would like it to have some color I am just leaving as is.

My 3800 Series II Cover on my Bonneville has padding, and the plastic is well finished and isn't to bad. It does have the pad tho. I can do a photo tomorrow if you want... To sleepy tonight to go out and do it. -_-

>>"GM has picked up the habit of putting dress up covers on their engines..."<<

Here GM merely met the standard made commonplace by numerous foreign brands first.

I agree- I hate every single one ever made- the idea blows; putting yet another square yard of wretched plastic into a car: here to thwart most efforts at self-service or inspection or just plain admiration/curiosity.

>>"...which succeed only to:-

(1) Make the build quality look cheap -- even Hyundai has nicer and higher quality (appearing) covers."<<

Here we friggin' go again!!

Know what's even worse? Even kia has a nicer finish on the underside of their ash tray inserts than GM! C'mon, GM- you're the worst at every single thing you've ever done since 1908 (butI'mstillabigbigfan!!)

Edited by balthazar

Okay, boys and girls, your mission is to drive a 4 cylinder Malibu (sans "beauty shroud, no "quiet steel") then drive the LS or LT Cobalt - same engine, but with the "beauty shroud" and "quiet steel" on the firewall.

Big difference. Huge. Same engine, but more money was spent on the Cobalt to make it quieter. It works. It's real. I know I am pissing in against the wind here, but most people (I'd say, oh I don't know - 75%+) never open their hood, except to add washer fluid. They wouldn't know an engine shroud from a tire iron.

Let's all remember something folks, not everyone out there is a car enthusiast. So car engine covers just make the engine install look complete to the consumer. The lil things matter sometimes. Don't like it...remove it.

No offense, but this thread is pointless. Why are we complaining about an engine cover when it's something that most people in the general public hardly ever see? The only people who should be complaining are the auto mechanics who have to pry these things off the engine block every time they need to change oil, do routine maintenance, etc. I think there are a lot of other things we can complain about.

No offense, but this thread is pointless. Why are we complaining about an engine cover when it's something that most people in the general public hardly ever see? The only people who should be complaining are the auto mechanics who have to pry these things off the engine block every time they need to change oil, do routine maintenance, etc. I think there are a lot of other things we can complain about.

Well then people who like to do-it-themselves have a right to complain then :P

Also, while this may be small detail...presentation is everything these days. The details are what counts and part of why the foreign competitors has mopped the floor with the US automakers.

Well then people who like to do-it-themselves have a right to complain then :P

Also, while this may be small detail...presentation is everything these days. The details are what counts and part of why the foreign competitors has mopped the floor with the US automakers.

Yes, the small details count in what the customer see in the exterior and interior. An engine cover is almost pointless.

Seriously...For the most part with modern engines, they look a lot better with the engine covers on. Go ahead and take off your engine cover sometime. Go snap some pictures of your engine with the cover on and with it off. I can bet it doesn't look nearly as good or clean with the cover off as it does with the cover on. My engine looks much better with the engine cover on. It's not just an intake manifold under there..you have vacuum tubes, fuel rails, electronics and wiring, a whole plethora of things under there...granted, while it is still arranged somewhat neatly, it can still be somewhat of a mess to look at. Doesn't look nearly as good as if you had the engine cover on. Some cars especially get away with it, like the e39 or even e60 M5's whose intake plenums also double for an engine cover. LS engines seem to get away with it alright, but they still have covers, and you still get the rail going across the intake manifold...it's not bad looking though.

I'd say, oh I don't know - 75%+) never open their hood, except to add washer fluid. They wouldn't know an engine shroud from a tire iron.

Sad thing is, I taught my friend how to open her hood and add windshield washer fluid. She used to take it to a gas station to have them do it. That's common mentality for the area I grew up in.

i think GM is trying to go toward the new camaro engine display... but its hard to make the engine cover look that classy as in the concept...

post-195-1179266892_thumb.jpg

My 3400 has no engine cover and I think my 3800 cover is alot nicer looking the "pops" for the intake are pretty cool.

GM has picked up the habit of putting dress up covers on their engines ...

I have no idea what prompted this comment... just more spin as far as I'm concerned... The Northstar (released in '93 -- "read 14 years ago") has one of these so called "dress up covers" so I don't know what "the habit" would be. Been there a LONG time. Ever taken the cover off a Northstar and looked underneath? It's not a pretty sight by anyone's imagination. Mostly the fuel rail and plug wires, plus a few other important things like the FPR...

We don't live in the old days when the air bonnet was the focus of the eyes when you open the hood. A cover is essential for the aesthetics of the under hood. As ToyMotor has proven, so much of the selling of cars these days is in the presentation... and not the substance. In truth you need both in big quantities.

Engine covers are a stupid idea, GM or not they all suck.

Just another thing about ALL modern cars that pisses

me off. I really liked the fact that the 4th gen. F-body's

LS1 motor had NO cover. Form follows function.

You wanna see a BEAUTIFUL motor? This was the first

motor to by STYLED cosmetically by designers. Talk

about beautiful, if they put 5% of this effort into modern

car's valvecovers & tucked away most of the wires they

would not NEED covers.

Posted Image

As long as the covering is reasonably removable for those that want to, I don't care.

Well, I bitch and piss and moan a little as someone who has to tear the damned acoustic cover off the engine for oil changes. Sure, I know that it helps make things quieter and the like, and while I'm all for quiet, they could probably put more sound insulation into the firewall than pulling a cover on the engine....

Jeez... enough of these garbage can lids already. They are not worth $0.05. How about spending the money on say a suede leather cover for the owner's manual (or whatever) instead!

Methinks this is WELL below the threshold of justifying a thread complaining about it. But since you did bring it up (and the picture is of a Cadillac engine), my Caddy's owner's manual did come in a nice leather cover.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room