What Are You Listening To?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I taught my kids about Dean Martin...

Many ways I showed them about Dean Martin...one way is Christmas.

And they in turn taught me this song from Dean Martin. Their school music teacher...I just love this man's cool voice, especially when it comes to the Holidays.

Annie Lennox and Dean Martin's version always kicks off the Holiday season for me.

Then its this song.

And then the rest follow

That's cool...I lived for a decade of my childhood in Dean Martin's hometown....they have a Dean Martin Boulevard (Steubenville, Ohio). 

THAT is even cooler!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXKA7jTqB2A

Been into this ambient drone stuff lately, driving everyone else in the house nuts.

>> Saw a comment on another vid of this 'band' :

This sound submerges you.

You feel like you're underwater.

It doesn't scatter across a landscape.

You close your eyes and let it wash you.

You don't dance and move with it.

You let it drown you.

Edited by balthazar

• 2 weeks later...

Still this stuff, esp this artist ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvWDJTtXjrI

That is some very eerie stuff.

The kind of music Id be listening to on that front porch right there

gein_home.jpg

I agree. And perhaps it explains something quite personal to me.

IE; you don't realize where you are going by posting that pic. 

I'll have to check out Loscil...like what I've heard so far..for ambient, I like of Brian Eno...I esp. like this track, 'An Ending (Ascent)', which was used very effectively a couple of times on Top Gear..

https://youtu.be/aKw5mbcE7VY

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

@ Balthazar

Well, I know that pic of yours is of Ed Gein.

And I know that is his farmhouse.

And I also know that the movie was inspired by him.

So...I thought that you might be a fan of the movie The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...original form the 1970s and the modern 2000s one.

So...I thought I was being clever in what I  posted,  because I do find that particular song eerie in which I thought I was funny in making a connection with your avatar pic.

Personal?

As in you are somehow connected personally to that farmhouse?

If you dont feel like answering that question, Ill understand, I mean, I wont know why and how, but I wont press my luck any further type deal.

Not personally connected, just minorly obsessed. Working on a book to finally set the story straight (so much published trash out there), have made excellent progress. Taking a trip north this spring, BTW. ;)

It's cool. :)

Phew....

I thought maybe Ed was a long lost uncle or something, or worse, a family member being a victim...

I dont know too much of the real story. Other than what one would normally find on the internet...wikipedia type information.

I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre sometime in the early 1980s on Beta. I rented the 2000s remake on DVD. I decided to google the movie sometime after I saw the remake...because the ending scared the bejesus out of me....the part where the officer enters the home and the narrator states that this is the only real footage of leatherface ever to be caught on camera...I had to really know if that was true...

Yes I know, sometimes I could be gullible. :wacko:

Anyhoo, this is a thread about music...so let the music play...

Another early to mid 1980s song I remember quite fondly.

Wow. Yet another legend dies.

Before I knew about a Glen Frey, before I knew about the The Eagles there was a tune that I loved hearing on the radio, and it played often enough.

Then Beverly Hills Cop happened and I was finally introduced to Glen Frey officially.

and who could forget those Pontiac commercials?

About this time I was  introduced to yet another Eagles tune.

I got my first CD player in 1989 or 1990. My first CD was Hotel California.

Yup...Def Leppard was just coming off a high. I had bought all their albums...in  cassettes form.

AC/DC was releasing Thunderstruck, which I bought...in cassette form.

Aerosmith released Pump around this time, which I did not buy.

Scorpions also released Crazy World at this time, which I bought as a CD...was my second CD purchase.

I chose to buy a late 1970s album on CD as my first CD purchase. Goes to show you how powerful The Eagles are.

RIP Mr Frey!

• Agree 1

As a child of the 70s and 80s, with two Baby Boomer siblings, I heard the Eagles constantly growing up...always liked them, liked Glenn Frey's solo work...esp. the songs from Miami Vice ('Smuggler's Blues' and 'You Belong to the City')...I remember buying a Glenn Frey solo album ("The Allnighter") and a Don Henley solo album ("Building the Perfect Beast") along w/ the Eagles Greatest Hits on cassette to listen to in my Mustang in high school before I got my first CD player...The Eagles 'Greatest Hits 1971-1975' and 'Greatest Hits Vol II' were the staples (on cassette) of many motorhome road trips w/ my folks in the 80s.

• 3 weeks later...

As a child of the 70s and 80s, with two Baby Boomer siblings, I heard the Eagles constantly growing up...always liked them, liked Glenn Frey's solo work...esp. the songs from Miami Vice ('Smuggler's Blues' and 'You Belong to the City')...I remember buying a Glenn Frey solo album ("The Allnighter") and a Don Henley solo album ("Building the Perfect Beast") along w/ the Eagles Greatest Hits on cassette to listen to in my Mustang in high school before I got my first CD player...The Eagles 'Greatest Hits 1971-1975' and 'Greatest Hits Vol II' were the staples (on cassette) of many motorhome road trips w/ my folks in the 80s.

I always meant to reply to this and I never did...

I had older parents.  My dad was born in 1926 in Montreal and my mom in 1935. And my mom was born in Greece.

So...

By the time Rock-N-Roll came around, my dad was already at an age where that kind of music was simply just noise.

He wasnt a rock-a-billy of any sorts.

Sure, Goodness Gracious Great Balls Of Fire and We're Gonna Rock Around the Clock Tonight, We're Gonna Rock Rock Rock 'Til Broad Daylight, and See Ya Later Alligator were tunes that he did enjoy, 1950s Rock-N-Roll is where he drew the line. 1960s were just rebellious crap to him.

My mom was born in Greece. She came to Canada in 1967. She met my dad the year after and got married that very same year.

She brought Greek Music into the life of my dad. And, coincidentally, Greek music and Greek film was at an epic level at that point in time so that also helped my dad get re-acquainted with his ancestral culture.

So...when I was born in 1973...obviously by that time, especially when I was a teenager in the 1980s, Rock was not exactly music that both welcomed with open arms in our home.

Yeah, they let me listen to my music, but it was during my time. On car trips and such, it was Greek radio stations and the like.

When I was in the car alone with my dad was the only time I listened to "English" music in the car...

I always had a walkman...since the first ones that Sony introduced, and THAT is how I learned about music. Because just before falling asleep, I would listen to the radio on my Walkman with my ear phones being introduced to incredible sounds and music from all eras. Also baseball. I would listen to the Montreal Expos play on the radio. During the early 1980s, I was more of a baseball fan than I was a hockey fan. I loved hockey, I loved baseball even more.

And my friends all had older brothers.

Montreal was also a city that embraced on the radio waves all genres. Rock, Disco...

I consider myself lucky as I got introduced to 1950s and 1960s  and 1970s rock through that Walkman and my friends' brothers did the rest with late 1970s and 1980s music...disco and dance rock/pop of the 1980s included as well as Punk Rock and Hard Rock and what was called Heavy Metal then...

And let us not forget the Greek music...my mom had vinyl LPs from   the 1950s/1960s and 1970s that had all the great musical explosion and revolution of that Greek time period...I still have those LPs.

As the years went by in the 1990s, and music, popular music over the radio waves got crappier and crappier, I found myself searching for more 1950s/1960s and 1970s sounds. And with the invention of the internet and Youtube....Im in heaven as I keep on discovering new OLD music from a time when music made came from the soul.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

I had older parents also..Dad born in 1921 (WW II Army Air Corps vet), Mom in 1931...brother born in '49, sister in '57, myself in '70...from my Dad I got into Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr, from my Mom I discovered Elvis and '60s soul, from my older brother and sister '60s-70s rock and pop....I had a Walkman early also in the 80s, and great radio stations in E. Ohio then S. Florida to listen to.  

So being a Gen Xer w/ Baby Boomer siblings and older folks..it made for interesting experiences growing up..my Dad retired at age 58, bought the first family RV and a beach house in Florida, so we went from 2 houses to 3 and an RV..grew up w/ a lot of road trips.

• Agree 1

I had older parents also..Dad born in 1921 (WW II Army Air Corps vet), Mom in 1931...brother born in '49, sister in '57, myself in '70...from my Dad I got into Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr, from my Mom I discovered Elvis and '60s soul, from my older brother and sister '60s-70s rock and pop....I had a Walkman early also in the 80s, and great radio stations in E. Ohio then S. Florida to listen to.  

So being a Gen Xer w/ Baby Boomer siblings and older folks..it made for interesting experiences growing up..my Dad retired at age 58, bought the first family RV and a beach house in Florida, so we went from 2 houses to 3 and an RV..grew up w/ a lot of road trips.

I got into Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Johnny Cash too.  Thanx to my dad as well. Like you!   1950s country and 1960s crooners was his style.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a BIGGER shock to me than anybody else that died...

Prince...dead at the age of 57 today.....

Id post some his songs but he wasnt too big on youtube...

Later, Ill try to find some songs....or Ill just state what songs I liked from him.

Rest in Peace Prince.

You are definitely a musical icon.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

I especially love that song called Cream...

"Oh...he wants some of yours and not some of mine.."

I had a similar situation with similar dialogue...and all the while, this song was popular when my situation....ahem...arose... 

YES....pun MOST DEFINITELY INTENDED!!!

- Batdance

- When Doves Cry

- I Would Die 4 U

- Lets Go Crazy

And the countless of songs that he had a hand in with many many different artists...

Such as:

and

• Agree 1

Huge Prince fan...ever since hearing 'Little Red Corvette' at age 12 back in the day...his music has long been part of the soundtrack of my life.  Saw him twice in concerts..incredible performer, songwriter, and guitarist.   At work today when I found out I streamed my Prince albums on Google Play...going to drink a bit tonight and watch some videos...just watched a blurry/grainy version of that great Super Bowl performance from 2007.   

This is hitting me harder than any other musician this year, even Bowie...I guess its because of the context in my life, my youth....not too big of a man to admit I was sitting in the grocery lot this afternoon with Purple Rain cranked waaay up and moved to tears... :(

Prince's Paisley Park and home was in the same town where i lived for a few years.  We had a townhouse, was about maybe like 5 miles from his studio.  One night i was dropping off a rented video ten before midnight close on a snowyish night, and found myself in the store being the only other customer besides Prince and whoever his GF and a couple of his security men.  I was interesting to really see how small in physical size he was, but he definitely had a presence.  He looked at some vids while his GF chatted up the store folks about something.  The security folks car was a mustang.  Just sort of a brush with greatness i guess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the latest solo album These People by Richard Ascroft (The Verve) quite a bit lately, along with Chris Stapleton's Traveller  (the first country album I've bought in a looong time, excellent songs).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was 20 years old and on top of my world.

Going to college, doing great there. Getting good grades. Playing all kinds of sports, working out and looking and feeling great.

I was a popular kid. Had many friends that wanted to party with me and my gang.

I was very popular with the girls at this point in time.

1 regret (about this song):

I never really liked this song back in the day, oh so I thought. I heard it today for the first time since probably it went off the air sometime in 1993 or 1994 when it ceased to be popular anymore...I remembered all the words to it. Yeah, Ive made out with more than a handful of girls and this song was playing in the backround...

My regret: I wish I had taken the time to enjoy the song a bit more. Its a good song...

I dont know why I did not like it. I wish I enjoyed it is what Im saying as the girls that I made out with while this song was playing are nothing but a blur to me right now. Which is fine by me, its just that I feel like I missed out on a good song back in the day is alls Im saying.

The irony:

Back in the day, the girls that I had fallen in love with were in my heart while this song was a blur in the backround, but today...the song is vivid in my heart while the girls are nothing but a forgotten dream.

• 3 months later...

I know the artists/composers but not off the top of my head for some but song names here instead:

Eminence Front - also known as a perrenial GMC commercial favourite

Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones....

Gimme Shelter

When the Levee breaks - Led Zepplin!!!

Boooooorrrrnnnnn to be WYYYELLLLD

BADDD TO THE BONE.....BA BA BA BAB ABA BABA BSBDKASBF SKDJFBV SKD BF BASSSSDDDDERDDRR DURR... George Thorogood .......

12 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

I know the artists/composers but not off the top of my head for some but song names here instead:

Eminence Front - also known as a perrenial GMC commercial favourite

Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones....

Gimme Shelter

When the Levee breaks - Led Zepplin!!!

Boooooorrrrnnnnn to be WYYYELLLLD

BADDD TO THE BONE.....BA BA BA BAB ABA BABA BSBDKASBF SKDJFBV SKD BF BASSSSDDDDERDDRR DURR... George Thorogood .......

Eminence Front is by The Who, from the 1981 album 'It's Hard'.  I remember re-discovering this song in the trailer for the movie 'Time Code' about 20 years aog...  Gimme Shelter is also by the Rolling Stones, and featured in at least 3 Martin Scorsese films..