Weekend With a 'Bu

Posted ImageWeekend With a 'Bu
By Bob Lutz - GM Vice Chairman
Posted Image
Link to Original Post on GM FastLane Blogs

One of the most important passenger car launches in recent General Motors history is nearly upon us: the all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

We’ve put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this vehicle and we are very excited to get it out there and see how the press and the public receive it.

I had the pleasure of some Malibu driving last weekend. And, although we have a few final tweaks and improvements to make, I just feel that, if we market this vehicle properly, it should be a huge success.

I had two late builds at home for a test-drive: a base four-cylinder with a well-matched four-speed automatic transmission (there will also be an optional six-speed automatic available with the four, shortly after introduction), 16-inch steel wheels, cloth, and few accoutrements save power windows; and also a loaded LTZ V6 with two-tone all-leather interior and 3.6-liter 252-hp engine.

The four was silky-silent, had nice power delivery, a very nice ride, and a beautiful base interior… and although we haven’t announced official pricing, it will be around 20 grand, and I think it’s a great deal. I’ll let others be the judge of that, however! But, really, I came to the conclusion that, realistically, rationally, and forgetting emotions, nobody "needs" more car than that. Roomy, beautiful, refined, silent, inexpensive, but doesn't look it.

The V6 is terrific, with the 18-inch wheels and the paddle-shifter transmission. Considering its ride, handling, steering, interior, performance, silence, at a price in the mid-to-upper $20s, again unofficially, I was unable to find any hugely discernible difference to cars costing $35,000 or even $45,000. I may be overstating it (a bit) due to my excitement, but I’ll let you decide that for yourself. Honestly, I am personally very, very pleased with how this car turned out, and am quite proud of the team.

The Saturn Aura took North American Car of the Year honors last year. The Malibu is right there. Of course, that's me speaking, and I may be biased! We'll see what the media have to say. Let us know what you think… more info on the Malibu can be found at here.

If he's "personally pleased" with how the car turned out, I would say don't hold your FUTURE expectations too..... "high"..?

:AH-HA_wink:

Given that he thinks a standard 4-spd automatic is still OK to put in a 2008 MY car, I would say you're right.

OMG!

The Malibu V6 is forecasted to price mid-upper 20's?! I'm confused... isn't the Aura XR mid-upper 20's? I know the Malibu has a 4cyl for a base and the Aura has a 6, but I see too much overlapping here.

No, they have 5-spd's standard. Make the 6-spd standard, drop that crummy 4-spd slushbox. All it is is something for the press to pick about in road tests.

When the Delta sedans changed from Aisin 5 speed automatics to GM speed automatics, owners and the press alike agreed it exhibited better shift characteristics.

I don't think there is a problem with the 4-speed base. Remember, this isn't the enthusiast market. Those that don't care will get along just fine with the 4-speed. Those that do care can buy the optional 6-speed. What's wrong with that?

I don't think there is a problem with the 4-speed base. Remember, this isn't the enthusiast market. Those that don't care will get along just fine with the 4-speed. Those that do care can buy the optional 6-speed. What's wrong with that?

The competition offers better. Good enough isn't going to cut it.

For some people it's all about the spec sheet & bragging rights.

For others, it's moreso about the car itself and how it performs.

>>"OMG! The Malibu V6 is forecasted to price mid-upper 20's?! I'm confused... isn't the Aura XR mid-upper 20's? I know the Malibu has a 4cyl for a base and the Aura has a 6, but I see too much overlapping here. "<<

If GM NEVER has overlapping price points for similar cars, they will be down to what; about 6 cars total??

Considering its ride, handling, steering, interior, performance, silence, at a price in the mid-to-upper $20s, again unofficially, I was unable to find any hugely discernible difference to cars costing $35,000 or even $45,000.

...cars like the CTS?

The Malibu does seem like a competitive midsize family sedan, but based on the LTZ model I checked out, there's no way the interior passes for a $35K car. And that's fine, since it isn't a $35K car.

If I remember correctly, Lutz said the new VUE was "easily comparable" to the X5 and "far superior" to the X3 in terms of ride and handling.

I dunno- doesn't a bmw 328i convert go for over $40K+? I was looking in one Saturday and the interior looked extremely mediocre with some off fit-n-finish issues and horrible fake grayish plood. I don't remember any pleather on the doors there, either (dashtop was plastic). Guess Helmut Panke is a tad bit senile, too.

I think everyone agrees on the 6-speed. This should be introduced right out of the gate when this car is launched, that way all the media can't have any arsenal to fire on this car with. Drop the 4-speeds already!!!!

Sadly, the 4 speed model is probably geared more toward fleet sales. Hopefully that isn't the case. I was beginning to think GM had figured out that if you only sell your old, stripped down, outdated POS's to the daily rental fleets that consumers who's only recent GM driving experience was in a rental car would think all their vehicles are old, outdated, POS's. :(

I dunno- doesn't a BMW 328i convert go for over $40K+? I was looking in one Saturday and the interior looked extremely mediocre with some off fit-n-finish issues and horrible fake grayish plood. I don't remember any pleather on the doors there, either (dashtop was plastic). Guess Helmut Panke is a tad bit senile, too.

You were probably looking at a G6 cabrio... :AH-HA_wink:

... cause the 3's wood is real, there's leather on the doors, and like the Malibu's, its interior is competitive with others in its class. All I said was that Lutz is exaggerating when comparing the Malibu to a luxury car, OK? I thought that would be helpful as many have not experienced the new 'Bu firsthand.

You were probably looking at a G6 cabrio... :AH-HA_wink:

Nope; the same 40-yr old pig nostril grille was on it, plain as day. :AH-HA_wink:

... cause the 3's wood is real, there's leather on the doors, and like the Malibu's, its interior is competitive with others in its class.

Then why doesn't the 'wood' LOOK real?? Why was it shiny-smooth like plastic and had a drab grey overtone like the dye went bad? The small oval of material on the upper doors, surrounded by plastic, was real leather?? Amazing job at making it look like plastic even from the distance of leaning over the window (top down). Earns a big fat 'Meh' from me.

The media isn't going to be testing the 4cyl w/4-speed combo. They'll get the V6s at first, and then when the magazines ask for a 4cyl "follow up" the 4cyl/6-speed combo will be out. I don't know what the deal is with the 6-speeds not being out in full force yet, but I would have thought GM would have production of the 6-speeds going at full speed and would have dropped the 4-speeds by now.

Nope; the same 40-yr old pig nostril grille was on it, plain as day. :AH-HA_wink:

Then why doesn't the 'wood' LOOK real?? Why was it shiny-smooth like plastic and had a drab grey overtone like the dye went bad? The small oval of material on the upper doors, surrounded by plastic, was real leather?? Amazing job at making it look like plastic even from the distance of leaning over the window (top down). Earns a big fat 'Meh' from me.

Wow, okay, so you don't like the 3-series convertible. So about that Malibu...............

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah, I'm not liking the sound of the base Malibu. You get a four-cylinder with the base Malibu and you get a six-cylinder with the base Aura and they both sound like they are going to cost the same. The Malibu had better well sticker at under nineteen or eighteen grand for the bare bones base model. Otherwise, you'd have to be an idiot or think you are going to get some big gas mileage ratings to buy a base Malibu over a base Aura.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. The four-speed maybe outdated, but who cares? It's a great transmission and still can do it's job right until the six-speed takes over.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Yeah, I'm not liking the sound of the base Malibu. You get a four-cylinder with the base Malibu and you get a six-cylinder with the base Aura and they both sound like they are going to cost the same. The Malibu had better well sticker at under nineteen or eighteen grand for the bare bones base model. Otherwise, you'd have to be an idiot or think you are going to get some big gas mileage ratings to buy a base Malibu over a base Aura.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. The four-speed maybe outdated, but who cares? It's a great transmission and still can do it's job right until the six-speed takes over.

A four cylinder/four speed auto Malibu priced over $20,000 is going to be a disaster. Expect huge rebates quickly on that model.

It's going to come up short, though, if shoppers compare a 4cyl auto Malibu against the competition....

It's going to come up short, though, if shoppers compare a 4cyl auto Malibu against the competition....

Is the 4 speed the issue? Absolutely not. All here can agree that GM can produce reliable, predictible, well-mannered 4 speeds all day long.

The problem is perception--more specifically, the perception that GM can't make a true Camcord competitor...GM needs to have demonstrably superior products to stem the import tide. Not as good as, not virtually the same, but BETTER!

That's how you win people back. I will be the first to tell you that Joe 6-pack couldn't really tell you what the benefit of extra forward speeds really is, but he can easily tell when GM has not EXCEEDED the expectations for a particular class of product.

IMO, the 'bu should be coming out with:

1. 6 speeds, regardless of model

2. Wheels big enough to fill the muscular haunches of this vehicle and make it look GOOD, not just good in certain trim levels

3. A base model that beats the competition on features at a significant discount

4. A stop-start system, just like the euros are doing...why wait when you've got the components on the shelf from the mild hybrids? Greater MPG without the hybrid complications

How much could these things cost? A grand? You're going to be giving them rebates well in excess of that number if it doesn't take the marketplace by storm anyway...why not start out as a winning product with a real shot of upsetting and redefining the marketplace?

Edited by enzl

IMO, the 'bu should be coming out with:

2. Wheels big enough to fill the muscular haunches of this vehicle and make it look GOOD, not just good in certain trim levels

I won't disagree w/ the other stuff but this is I do. Bigger wheels=bigger tires which cost more $$$. Something that not everyone is willing to pony up to in a few years. Some people buy the base model and don't want to drop $200 per tire when the time comes for new tires. Personally it made a difference for me not to upgrade to the large wheels on the 08 Escape I just bought.

I won't disagree w/ the other stuff but this is I do. Bigger wheels=bigger tires which cost more $$$. Something that not everyone is willing to pony up to in a few years. Some people buy the base model and don't want to drop $200 per tire when the time comes for new tires. Personally it made a difference for me not to upgrade to the large wheels on the 08 Escape I just bought.

As a carguy, I would agree it is an issue...but does the average consumer care?

A 17" wheel'tire combo with 60-series ratio would look big enough and shouldn't cost much more....

...I just think the design begs for wheel arch filling rubber. I don't want to see 15" spoiling the design and I think design is one place that GM can make a huge splash in this sector.

According to TireRack, standard issue 205/60 16's are between $60-100, while 215/60 17's are about $90-130 (for run-of-the-mill A-S tires)...I guess if we're talking 18's, it might be a much bigger jump....

Edited by enzl

The small oval of material on the upper doors, surrounded by plastic, was real leather?? Amazing job at making it look like plastic even from the distance of leaning over the window (top down). Earns a big fat 'Meh' from me.

The whole door panel is covered in leather. I'm not sure how you confused that.

Posted Image

If Lutz is so pleased with this mediocre effert then his expectations just made a turn for the worse. It's hard to believe all the things were giving up on this new model, Maxx, interior space, no fold flat passenger seat, lack of options that other cars get, V6 gas mileage, very bland styling etc. Sure the 6 speed automatic is nice and on paper this car looks good with a longer wheelbase and various refinements. It's too bad the final product didn't turn out better and some of the stupid ass flaws from the previous gen, G6 and Aura weren't corrected. I honestly do NOT see this car setting the world on fire.

Edited by ponchoman49