Official Pics - 2008 Honda Accord

Flybrian

Sedan is uninspired, reminds me of a Sonata. Interior is nice, seats appear wide, as does the center console armrest.

I just dont like the looks of the coupe. The rear end looks puckered up like a homophobe's butt in his first gay bar.

Hmmm...some BMW wannabe in the doors. I like the biege leather interior with the plood..the gray base interior is too dull.

The lower slots in the bumper doesn't match the grille and look cheap and ugly...remind me of a faceguard on an old football helmet.

The sedan looks bad, nothing exciting baout it or stylish. The coupe tries to hard to be a BMW, and the gap between the coupe's hood and front fascia is huge. The BMW interior is blatant and looks cramped.

Congrats to Honda for making a car that looks more like a Hyundai than a HYUNDAI does these days. :rolleyes:

Hah...

Well, I personally think the new Malibu just became irrelevant. Is it exciting? No, but neither is the Malibu. Is it bland? Certainly, but so is the Malibu. Both the coupe and sedan look quite nice in their own respect and the interior sets a new midsize benchmark. Call it a Sonata all you want, but in the end, the Sonata is just an Accord rip-off in the first place. Durrr. The only resemblance you can accurately state is the obvious BMW flavor it has.

within the last hour I've changed my tune. I don't care much for the looks. too many borrowed styling elements and overall chaos. aura/malibu both are more attractive.

Only thing 'arty' about this car is the way is attempts to be unoriginal. again, honda proves it can never lead in styling.

there is a real cheap korean quality to the exterior.

it should be interesting to see what buyers do. this is a downgrade from the current model, in terms of mainstreamability. honda really shot themselves in the foot vs. camry.

looks like the next mazda6 has an easy path to the title now. mazda fans say yeah.

The next generation of Accord buyers will have three powertrains to choose from, including the beefy, 3.5-liter i-VTEC V-6. It makes a solid 268 hp, and though that's five less than Honda originally expected, you wouldn't notice on the road. In the sedan, this engine gives you a solid, aggressive launch feel, and in the coupe, you'll find yourself pushed deeply into the new sport seats.

In the weeks after our New England ride-and-drive, Honda modestly downgraded ratings for the other two powertrain packages, as well. For the most mileage-minded of customers, there's a 177-horsepower in-line four. It delivers acceptable levels of acceleration, but the word, "anemic" might come to mind. A nice compromise can be found in the form of the 190-hp in-line four.

Depending on model and body style, you have the option of a five or six-speed manual (the latter exclusive on the Accord EX-L Coupe with V-6), or a 5-speed automatic, standard on the V-6 sedan. All automatic transmissions get a new shift-hold function. This ensures they won't be hunting and seeking between gears at the wrong time, especially when charging through a tight corner.

Fuel economy has become a much bigger selling point since the launch of the last Accord, and Honda has some good news for V-6 buyers, the sedan now yielding 19 mpg City, 29 Highway, compared to 20 and 29 for the outgoing Accord. So, why's that good news? Because the federal government recently changed its testing procedure to bring its figures closer to real-world results. So, if the 2007 model were subjected to the same revisions, its mileage numbers would drop to 18/26. So, after all that, it comes down to a modest improvement around town and a 3 mpg jump in highway driving.

The LX's 2.5-liter in-line four, meanwhile, delivers 21 City and 31 Highway, the same as the '07 model, which would mean 24/34 mpg using the old federal testing system.

21/31? how does the new malibu compare?

Edited by regfootball

this bad effort makes me think honda fans should snap up a tsx or tl before the decent honda options get taken away

Everything impacts sales these days, in the hotly competitive market. Last year, Accord sales dipped to 360,000, down from a peak of 386,000, with the outgoing, seventh-generation, and an all-time Accord best of 416,000.

Part of the problem, admits Honda planner Gary Robinson, is that to some potential buyers, Accord has become, er, sensible. Like old shoes, practical and boring. No wonder the average buyer's age is now 50, up from 41 a decade or so ago. Younger, hipper buyers, the company concedes, have been opting for sportier offerings, notably the Nissan Altima. But Toyota's Camry is also picking off Honda's more conservative set.

So it's going to be a tough challenge to win back either group, if not both. Of course, the recent run-up in fuel prices will help since, says marketing chief Bonawitz, "We're seeing movement back to mid-size sedans from SUVs" and other truck-like vehicles.

50!

Edited by regfootball

within the last hour I've changed my tune. I don't care much for the looks. too many borrowed styling elements and overall chaos. aura/malibu both are more attractive.

What? You were actually positive on a Honda product on hour ago??? I don't believe it.

it should be interesting to see what buyers do. this is a downgrade from the current model, in terms of mainstreamability. honda really shot themselves in the foot vs. camry.

This accord is a upgrade in every way from the previous. I am not to excited about the increase in size... next thing you know they will put in a bench seat.

But as a 3.2 TL owner, I am excited to see the 3.5 offering more power and better fuel economy while not requiring premium gas. Too bad there is no 6MT sedan with VCM. Hopefully I will be able to cross-shop with a 300+ HP AVtec SH-AWD TL 6MT in the near future.

21/31? how does the new malibu compare?

For the V6's:

The 3.6 in the Malibu should be similar to that in the Aura. It gets 17/26 compared to the Accord's 19/29. HP is 16 less in the Malibu. Torque is 4(?) more.

For the 4 cyls:

According to the EPA the 2.4 in the Aura gets 22/30 compared (though I'm not sure if that is the 6AT) to 21/31 in the Accord. HP in the Malibu will be 164(?) compared to 177 or 190 in the Accord. Aside from the similar fuel economy numbers, the performance most likely won't be comparable.

Stats from here:

http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/releases/2007...et%20Malibu.htm

and here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

Wow, that's a great looking new hyundai. That's not a hyundai you say? Are you sure?

You gotta love that advance crap they put in the honda. You know the 5 speed automatic. Wow! :rolleyes: :AH-HA_wink:

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again.

1. When GM had too many confusing buttons, as this honda does, they got blasted for it. Why does everybody love it now that honda and toyota do it?

2. When GM made the stereos impossible to replace with aftermarket stereos, like this honda does, they got blasted for it. With Honda it makes the dash look cool?

Sorry, I hated it when GM did this crap, why should I like this?

Edited by Dsuupr

the rear and side is light-years more attractive than the camry, but i'm left speechless on the front. what's with the element grille? i thought the element was one of the worst examples of honda design, why apply it to your mainstream sedan?

and, honda vehicles look more and more like acura's inside, a good thing for honda buyers, but what about acura buyers?

Edited by jbartley

The rear on the sedan just doesn't fit. The tail lights are too low. Hopefully they'll fix it like the last generation. The front 3/4 of the coupe is downright vicious. Also, why is the rear deck so long? It looks ridiculous. But the rest is pretty hot.

I want an Accord now.

This'll give the Acura a REALLY hard time...

The sedan and coupe both look better than the current generation. This is not saying much, since the current generation looks like a mid 90's design. It's o.k., but the 2008 design already looks dated compared to the Altima, Aura, 2008 Malibu, and what I have seen of the 2009 Mazda6 (I hate to say this, but I even like the exterior design of the current Camry better). It will still sell well based on Honda's reputation, which is what I guess Honda should be shooting for (and some of the other makes would kill for).

The sedan is alright, better than the Camry and at least they put some thought into the rear and didn't knock off an old Mitsubishi *cough* Malibu *cough*

I hate the bulging headlights of the sedan though. It's got a lot of 5-series in the greenhouse but at the same time it's not as ugly as the 5-series front or back. Poor man's BMW for sure.

The coupe however looks great (and look! no light bulging!). Sleeker and more aggressive than the old one, which looked fat and slab sided.

The interior however, really sets this car apart and absolutely destroys the Malibu's interior. The colors, the details (and no doubt, the materials) really put that interior in a class above the rest. I love the way it looks.

For those complaining about the base interior...well I guess you haven't seen a base interior of the Malibu.

Posted Image

Posted Image

...The interior however, really sets this car apart and absolutely destroys the Malibu's interior. The colors, the details (and no doubt, the materials) really put that interior in a class above the rest. I love the way it looks.

For those complaining about the base interior...well I guess you haven't seen a base interior of the Malibu.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It also handily destroys the Camry interior IMO.

You gotta love that advance crap they put in the honda. You know the 5 speed automatic. Wow! :rolleyes: :AH-HA_wink:

Wait until the acceleration and fuel economy numbers come out for this and the Malibu. Not saying a 6-speed wouldn't likely benefit the Accord, but maybe the extra cost made it not worth while.

1. When GM had too many confusing buttons, as this honda does, they got blasted for it. Why does everybody love it now that honda and toyota do it?

2. When GM made the stereos impossible to replace with aftermarket stereos, like this honda does, they got blasted for it. With Honda it makes the dash look cool?

Bad implementation on GM's part?

It also handily destroys the Camry interior IMO.

The Camry looks the most plain-jane of the 3, while the Malibu looks the sportiest. The Accord is in the middle and is very BMW-like. I like the gauges in the Malibu, for a coupe or sporty car. But the gauges in the Accord are the best IMO for a mainstream sedan. They could have done something more sporty with the Accord Coupe gauges.

gxt sure drinks the honda kool aid

Because he's the only one who has posted any sort of factual non-opinionated data in this thread?

Hah...

Well, I personally think the new Malibu just became irrelevant. Is it exciting? No, but neither is the Malibu. Is it bland? Certainly, but so is the Malibu. Both the coupe and sedan look quite nice in their own respect and the interior sets a new midsize benchmark. Call it a Sonata all you want, but in the end, the Sonata is just an Accord rip-off in the first place. Durrr. The only resemblance you can accurately state is the obvious BMW flavor it has.

If nothing else, this new Accord's interior (base or upscale....either of them) just made the new Malibu about as irrelevant as the previous generation........

There's nothing I don't like about this new Honda......I think the exterior is sharp, can't pinpoint one single aspect that I don't like (like the Malibu's hideous rear-end) and the interior that looks like it's worth twice the price of the new Malibu.....(and dammit...in EX-L trim.....very nearly as nice as the new CTS' interior.)

GM needs all the prayers they can get.........

Wow, that's a great looking new hyundai. That's not a hyundai you say? Are you sure?

Sorry, I hated it when GM did this crap, why should I like this?

"Too many confusing buttons" or not, it's all about EXECUTION my friend......something GM has never been too overly good at compared to the competition.

Since 2002, the Camry has been a substandard pile in a world of increasingly quality midsize sedans and a car that sells on its 'reputation' rather than substance.

P.S. the big info screen is lame.

Get your head out of your a*s......how can you justify a statement like the Camry is a "substandard pile" when it's consistently the best-selling midsize sedan in the country....with minimal fleet sales I might add.....

I'm no particular Camry-lover either......but you don't get to be the best without some substantial engineering, design, and performance......

gxt sure drinks the honda kool aid

I like the products of the highest ranked automaker in terms of safety, fuel economy, and resale. It is also one of the best in terms of reliability, quality, and fuel economy vs performance.

On the other hand, you hate and deride them with almost entirely baseless comments.

If one of us is drinking the 'kool aid', it isn't me.

I am extremely disappointed with both the coupe and sedan, especially after considering how attractive the Civic coupe is (at least from an exterior viewpoint).

Even the new Camry looks more interesting than this!

The interior is quite unimpressive. I like the current one better. The coupe looks pretty good, though I don't much care for the grille that is made up of 5 straight lines and it has a huge ass.

The sedan, which is obviously much more important, is completely unflattering from every angle. Perhaps that is a good thing though.

FWIW, I showed this to my roommates and they both though it was ugly.

how the f\/ck anyone can call the styling of this car class leading or even a reason to purchase the car is amazing. The side profile/windows are ok, but that's plagarized.

How anyone can think the interior design has wide appeal, i want some of their brownies. maybe its ok if you like playing xobx or couldn't get credit on a 200 325i.

Aura v6 did a 5.9 0-60 i think? Nissan's cars are in that area as well. I don't see the honda beating any of the competition by leaps and bounds.

Edited by regfootball

The back of the new Accord looks economy car. Nothing luxurious about that. Reminds me of the pre MMR 7 series BMW. I dont like it at all.

And "O.C", its probably not a good idea to tell an admin to get his head out of his ass. The new Camry has had quality issues, as have the Avalon and Tundra. The quality in purely hypothetical reputation as far as I'm concerned. It's amazing what a good advertising campaign done by Consumer Reports will do for your reputation. Just ask my former in laws whose Avalon has been in 8 times, and who Tundra has been in 12 in the last year alone.

I like it. It's less stodgy that what it's replacing; the coupe is particularly attractive. In terms of interior design, though, I'm not impressed. I feel that it's lacking warmth to it, much like the current crop of BMWs. IMO, the '08 Malibu has the better-looking interior.

Edited by DetroitNut90

how the f\/ck anyone can call the styling of this car class leading or even a reason to purchase the car is amazing. The side profile/windows are ok, but that's plagarized.

How anyone can think the interior design has wide appeal, i want some of their brownies. maybe its ok if you like playing xobx or couldn't get credit on a 200 325i.

I'm going to refer you to Chris' quote in my sig.

The back of the new Accord looks economy car. Nothing luxurious about that. Reminds me of the pre MMR 7 series BMW. I dont like it at all.

And "O.C", its probably not a good idea to tell an admin to get his head out of his ass. The new Camry has had quality issues, as have the Avalon and Tundra. The quality in purely hypothetical reputation as far as I'm concerned. It's amazing what a good advertising campaign done by Consumer Reports will do for your reputation. Just ask my former in laws whose Avalon has been in 8 times, and who Tundra has been in 12 in the last year alone.

Oh crap....Fly knows me, and I think he's got thicker skin than you're giving him credit for......we banter all the time.

My point is......it doesn't matter how you spin it.....Camry has been the best-selling car for....how many years now? And how you can call a car that can accomplish that feat a "pile" is a baseless comment.

AND....I haven't heard of too many "quality issues" on the Camry. I think that's GM kool-aid swishing around. The tranny had some issues at launch, but other than that.....what "quality issues" has the Camry had?

Get your head out of your a*s......how can you justify a statement like the Camry is a "substandard pile" when it's consistently the best-selling midsize sedan in the country....with minimal fleet sales I might add.....

I'm no particular Camry-lover either......but you don't get to be the best without some substantial engineering, design, and performance......

Best-selling is not synonymous with best. By your poor reasoning, McDonalds is the best restaurant in the country, WalMart is the best retailer, and Starbucks makes the best coffee.

Again, re-read. 2002-2006 Camry - justify that as a 'better' can than the Accord of similar vintage. Hell, tell me it was a better car than about a dozen other midsizers - poor quality, downgraded materials, engine sludge problems, low performance, skitty handling, unergonomic interior, and hillarious styling. 2007's isn't shaping up to be a winner either with early recalls, complaints of continually-falling quality, poor ergonomics again, an ever-shrinking trunk, increased fleet sales, and a disgusting dealer network that Toyota itself admits is a huge problem.

The Corolla also outsells the Civic. Earned? Hardly. That is also an old, junk car. How about you prove to me that the last five years of Camry deserved the 'best-seller' title over truly quality entries from virtually every other manufacturer?

Sebring Sonata is right!

Its so happy to see us, its bulging! :blink:

Posted Image

This is a seriously GROSS, disgustingly horific styling trend that only adds to

the gross disproportionate lines, non-continuous, double negative line, and

lack thereof on these Japanese cars today.

The Camry, Impala and many others have these "glass tumors"...