Challenger Unmasked

NOS2006

dodgechallenger1jh5.jpg

The official debut won't come for three weeks, but spy photographers have finally caught the production Dodge Challenger with no disguise and from all angles. Chrysler recently released teaser images, but now we have the full picture.

Pricing

Chrysler has already disclosed pricing for the Dodge Challenger SRT8, which will start at $37,995 — including destination — with Dodge already accepting orders. Customers will have a choice of three colors — Black, Silver or HEMI Orange — with all three coming with carbon fiber racing stripes. Deliveries will begin in the spring.

The SRT model will be followed by less expensve models.

The first offering of Challenger SRT8s will come with a numbered dash plaque, although Dodge failed to mention if all would be equipped with an automatic transmission as earlier reported.

Pricing for other Challenger models has yet to be revealed, but an announcement is expected to be made sometime in mid-2008.

Options
Customers who shell out the cash for a Challenger SRT8 — including the $2,100 gas-guzzler tax — will receive a car that is pretty much fully loaded. Only three options will be available: a set of summer tires instead of all-season rubber for $50, a MyGig Multimedia Infotainment system with navigation for $890 and a power sunroof for $950.

Powertrain

The Challenger was originally expected to be offered with a manual transmission and V8 engine only, however, the latest indication is the first 5,000 units will all be SRT8 models with automatic transmissions. In addition, these first car will begin production as early as March 2008 and will be sold as 2008 model year cars.

Shortly after that initial production run, Dodge will be offering three versions of the Challenger as 2009 models. The base model will be powered by a 3.5L V6 and will be mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. The 3.5L will be replaced by Chrysler's upcoming 4.0L Phoenix V6, but probably not until the 2011 model year.

R/T models will come equipped with a 5.7L V8 and buyers will have the option of a five-speed automatic or a six-speed manual. The SRT8 model adds a 6.1L V8 and can be mated to a five-speed auto or six-speed manual. A 6.4L could show up in the SRT model as soon as the 2010 model year.

A convertible is also expected to bow sometime in 2009 as a 2010 mode, with all three trim levels available.

Manual transmission cars will come with Chrysler's Hill Start Assist technology — as used in the Dodge Ram, Jeep Commander, Grand Cherokee and the Liberty — which maintains brake pressure until throttle is applied.

Dodge will also offer a Trak Pack, which appears to be little more than a marketing name given to a specific package of transmission, shifter and gearing.

Design

The latest images show a production car very similar to the concept. However, the photos also confirm the addition of a b-pillar to the Challenger's structure. Other less noticeable changes include taillights that have been divided into sections, a simplified grille, larger side mirrors, and more typical door handles.

For more info, please see http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-challenger.html

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can still honestly say I'm not a fan. The bumpers are wayyy too thick, ugly wheels, face/rear look like they're being produced 30 years too late (and they are).

With it being fully outfitted around $44k, I'd definitely take a Shelby GT500 over this.

well lets see... for 38k i can have a bloated cartoon of a 1970s classic

OR

I can have a well equipped Cadillac that probably handles about 100 times better and actually looks good

SUCH a tough decision... :rolleyes:

of course the other option of having a Camaro for less money... is much more tempting...

Edited by 04monteintimidator

I still like this car, and the Mustang, but the Camaro trumps them both.

I want to see all three on a magazine cover together.

Better yet, I want to see a GT500, SRT8, and Z/28 destroying an EVO X, WRX STi, and any other sub-$70,000 vehicle.

Uhm... A base-price $38,000 specialty performance car debuting in 2008 with a 4-speed automatic... :blink::wacko::duh::yuck::stupid::confused0071:

What?!?!?!?! The SRT-8 is going to have a 4-speed auto trans?

I know the "base" Challenger with the 3.5L v6 will have the 4-speed, but I can't imagine the SRT-8 will too... :rolleyes:

Uhm... A base-price $38,000 specialty performance car debuting in 2008 with a 4-speed automatic... :blink::wacko::duh::yuck::stupid::confused0071:

That's the base car....not the SRT.

Hey, it's clearly not everyone's cup of tea, but I've got to give Dodge their props for producing it at all. (and, BTW, they'll sell each and every one for at least the first 2 years of production, which should get brampton to NG LY's without an ugly slowdown or shift elimination...)

Wow alot of people here are either stupid, or can't read......or both.

The SRT will start with a 5-speed auto, then move to a 6-speed manual.

The SRT has a base price of $38K.....there are no Cadillacs with 425 HP that cost less than $38K.

This 425 HP car is EXPENSIVE at $38K??? Name another car with 425 HP that costs less.

Yes, the price is close to the Shelby GT500, but, as the article states, the 2010 Challenger will have the 6.4L with over 500 HP. The Challenger has a more elaborate suspension setup, and will probably be more practical for most people. I agree the Shelby GT500 is a steal at a base of $42K, but see if you can buy one for that price.

Check out the comparisons of the larger Charger SRT-8, vs the Pontiac GTO. The Charger wins the speed/acceleration tests in one comparo, and slightly loses the other.....but it easily wins the handling portion in both comparos. The Charger is heavier and larger than the Challenger. The Challenger will handle just fine.

Better yet, I want to see a GT500, SRT8, and Z/28 destroying an EVO X, WRX STi, and any other sub-$70,000 vehicle, except Corvette and CTS-V.

I like it. Good car. It is on your face. Take it or leave it no middleground or appeasing claims for import intenders or pretenders. A good ol' American Machine.

Edited by smallchevy

Didn't catch that the Base 3.5l model was starting lower than $38,000. My mistake. How much will the base model start at? Anyone know or care to guess?

I don't think they've announced pricing except for the SRT8...base will probably similar to Charger base, I would think (under 30k?)

Has anyone even seen the production interior or are they just bashing it in ignorance? I want to see it.

I like it, but I wonder if you can get the crosshair grill as an option, I kinda like it better, even though there's nothing wrong with this one.

Love the car overall though...but they should have put the 5-speed with the 3.5L...maybe when the engine is replaced by the Phoenix.

The SRT has a base price of $38K.....there are no Cadillacs with 425 HP that cost less than $38K.

because clearly... when paying north of 35k for a car... the only thing really worth considering is horsepower... :rolleyes:

not to mention... when are you really going to need that? will there ever be a point when you say "man... 263 horsepower is nowhere near enough!"? i cant think of one...

i wasnt saying the car wont sell... im sure it will... i was merely making a point that there are probably better options available for 38k... at least in my opinion...

There's nothing not to like about the car. However, I won't ever admire or respect it or its designers for the job that was done on it. I feel they took the '70s model, made it a little uglier, and said, "Here's your new Challenger." That's all I feel it is, a challenger, not a leader in any way.

We'll see what happens once it's released and it, the Mustang, and the Camaro (a bit later) all sell like hot cakes.

will there ever be a point when you say "man... 263 horsepower is nowhere near enough!"? i cant think of one...

Umm, are you crazy? I know you weren't raised during the '80s, so those cars couldn't have rubbed off on you too much...

Edited by NOS2006

Didn't catch that the Base 3.5l model was starting lower than $38,000. My mistake. How much will the base model start at? Anyone know or care to guess?

I'm gonna guess that a base 3.5L will start at about $24K.....maybe $22K or $23K, considering that they are planning on using the 4-speed instead of the 5-speed thats on the Charger SXT and 300 Touring. They really do need to get close to the V6 Mustang's price of $20K.

The SRT will start with a 5-speed auto, then move to a 6-speed manual.

This 425 HP car is EXPENSIVE at $38K??? Name another car with 425 HP that costs less.

Yes, the price is close to the Shelby GT500, but, as the article states, the 2010 Challenger will have the 6.4L with over 500 HP. The Challenger has a more elaborate suspension setup, and will probably be more practical for most people. I agree the Shelby GT500 is a steal at a base of $42K, but see if you can buy one for that price.

Check out the comparisons of the larger Charger SRT-8, vs the Pontiac GTO. The Charger wins the speed/acceleration tests in one comparo, and slightly loses the other.....but it easily wins the handling portion in both comparos. The Charger is heavier and larger than the Challenger. The Challenger will handle just fine.

Hahahahahaha

You took the words right outta my mouth!

*ahem*

Honestly, what is with this forum?

:rolleyes:

I think it's a pretty good product, I'll have to see what the base Challengers are like for the prictag they come with, but so far all things look pretty positive to me. The car looks good, very much like the original but still very much different.

I hear a bigger engine is coming soon too, it will be interesting to see if that's rumor or fact.

I want to see one in person!

There's nothing not to like about the car. However, I won't ever admire or respect it or its designers for the job that was done on it. I feel they took the '70s model, made it a little uglier, and said, "Here's your new Challenger." That's all I feel it is, a challenger, not a leader in any way.

We'll see what happens once it's released and it, the Mustang, and the Camaro (a bit later) all sell like hot cakes.

Umm, are you crazy? I know you weren't raised during the '80s, so those cars couldn't have rubbed off on you too much...

Bigger isn't always better.. As well, more power isn't always better. The only thing that really matters is the power to weight ratio. Who cares if a Lotus Exige only has 220 hp, if it can keep up with 604 hp Mercedes SL65 AMG? :huh:

Bigger isn't always better.. As well, more power isn't always better. The only thing that really matters is the power to weight ratio. Who cares if a Lotus Exige only has 220 hp, if it can keep up with 604 hp Mercedes SL65 AMG? :huh:

Well the Challenger and Camaro aren't exactly going to be lightweights..

And there weren't many quick cars in the '80s, that's my point with the latter comment.

Well the Challenger and Camaro aren't exactly going to be lightweights..

And there weren't many quick cars in the '80s, that's my point with the latter comment.

:wub: one fast car of the 80's

7427-1987-Buick-Grand-National.jpg

sorry your post made me think of the abismal automotive times that the 80's must have been.. i want alive... lol

Edited by SuperSport623

I'm in love with the one on the left!

Sweetness!

Mee too..I love the gray. I'd add a '70 R/T style rear spoiler... The '70 Challenger and Cuda, along with the 70 Mustang, are my favorite designs of my birth year..I love how the new car captures that look so well.

sorry your post made me think of the abismal automotive times that the 80's must have been.. i want alive... lol

The '80s were fun...Grand Nats, Trans Am GTAs, IROC-Zs, 5.0 Mustangs....I got my Mustang GT in '87...my high school parking lot was full of these cars (only one GN, but plenty of the others...at least a 1/2 dozen IROCs, 1/2 dozen GTAs, a dozen LX 5.0s and GTs, etc) ..fun times.

The '80s were fun...Grand Nats, Trans Am GTAs, IROC-Zs, 5.0 Mustangs....I got my Mustang GT in '87...my high school parking lot was full of these cars (only one GN, but plenty of the others...at least a 1/2 dozen IROCs, 1/2 dozen GTAs, a dozen LX 5.0s and GTs, etc) ..fun times.

Our local street races were FULL of Mustang 5.0 LXs when they came out late 80s, they were quick for a dead stock car back then...

I've got to admit, it looks good. I'll reserve full judgement when I see one in person, but she looks good now, and looked good in pre-production stuff we've all seen before, so what's not to really like at this point. I would still much prefer a Camaro over one, but I can't lie that the car looks good. I'm like Camino though, I wanna see all three cars on the pages of the auto mags doing comparos between them.