Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt41

Bro's Poll: What Main Chevrolet Vehicle Should Be Discontinued?

45 posts in this topic

Aveo

Why the Express? People in the market for big vans need another option besides the E-Series.

I agree with Oldsmoboi, I don't think any model should be cancelled without a replacement.

This is a truly loaded thread, frought with personal opinions and dislikes. The Express/Savannah sell something like 150k or more units, don't they? They actually outsell the Ford, last I heard, so I don't think they should be abandoned. In fact, we get a lot of people who miss the Astro/Safari. The trades and construction companies need these vehicles. Ford has always cut corners in this segment, and Dodge got out of it, so GM is the dominant player.

The Aveo needs a major overhaul (which it is getting in a few months), not a cancellation. When (not if) you and us hit $5 a gallon or more, the Aveo/Versa/Yaris and others will be very, very popular. GM needs to get more competitive with this model, the Astra and others.

From my standpoint, I have no use for the Trailblazer or the Tahoe. With the upcoming Traverse, both those vehicles have no point. If you need/want a real truck, get a Suburban or a pick up, but the Tahoe/Yukon are useless, IMO. They will become further redundant as gas prices climb. Still, since they are on the same platform as their bigger siblings, I don't suppose it hurts GM to have the Tahoe/Yukon around.

The Impala needs to be drastically altered, or it risks becoming redundant. I know the RWD thing seems to be over, but that would have been a good idea. The Equinox should be overhauled. The Uplander needs to be replaced. I want to see a new interior in the Cobalt (although the ebony cloth isn't bad.)

Impala, as it is. It will offer no extra space compared to the next-gen Malibu. No need to make two very similarly sized cars in the same lineup, IMO.

Impala, as it is. It will offer no extra space compared to the next-gen Malibu. No need to make two very similarly sized cars in the same lineup, IMO.

The next-gen Malibu is probably 5 years away, though, and who knows if it will be larger than the current one?

The next-gen Malibu is probably 5 years away, though, and who knows if it will be larger than the current one?

The NG Malibu is less than 3 years away if it is still on its original schedule. Even if its a few months behind by now that's only a little over 3 years away. It has been confirmed that EPII is wider than EPI, which is really the only dimension the Malibu lacks when comparing interior room to the Impala.

There are far more than just one.

Edited by NOS2006

I'd start with Monte Carlo (or has that already been discontinued?), Aveo, Colorado, and Uplander.

Then I'd refresh/redesign Impala, Cobalt, and Equinox.

Then I'd introduce a Volt, Groove, Camaro, and Traverse (if and only if Outlook is discontinued).

The NG Malibu is less than 3 years away if it is still on its original schedule. Even if its a few months behind by now that's only a little over 3 years away. It has been confirmed that EPII is wider than EPI, which is really the only dimension the Malibu lacks when comparing interior room to the Impala.

We'll see...I can't imagine a new Malibu in only 3 years...this is GM we are talking about...

We'll see...I can't imagine a new Malibu in only 3 years...this is GM we are talking about...

I don't know if you remember, but the new Malibu was talked about as just a stop-gap product until the NG arrived. The NG LaCrosse is due on EPII in Jan-Feb 09, so the Malibu being ~2 years behind seems plausible, if you think about it that way.

I don't know if you remember, but the new Malibu was talked about as just a stop-gap product until the NG arrived. The NG LaCrosse is due on EPII in Jan-Feb 09, so the Malibu being ~2 years behind seems plausible, if you think about it that way.

Interesting...I figured the new Malibu would have a typical 4 year or so run..

Uplander. But I'm pretty sure that's already been done.

The Doraville Plant closed in September of 2007... Everything 2008 that's left is just dealer glut and overflow.

Interesting...I figured the new Malibu would have a typical 4 year or so run..

I agree--only because it seems so odd that a vehicle that's praised so much would be redesigned so soon! I know the EpII is coming in about 3 years--I just hate to see it lose it's current glow.

I agree--only because it seems so odd that a vehicle that's praised so much would be redesigned so soon! I know the EpII is coming in about 3 years--I just hate to see it lose it's current glow.

If EPII is no doubt better than EPI than it certainly wouldn't hurt the Malibu's glow. Plus if they redesign it in 3 years there's little chance of sales declining, and if it's better than the current Malibu nothing but good things should result.

What, the best-selling midsize SUV?

Dump the Equinox, and replace with Captiva and more expensive midsize crossover.

Aveo is replaced sooner than you may think.

Express/Savana combined occasionally get close to the Econoline, but are usually far behind, despite being generations more advanced. Although some upfitters and bus/stepvan builders etc. prefer them, the Econoline is the defacto choice (probably cheaper). It's a bit like Walmart deciding y'all should buy Chinese products.

If EPII is no doubt better than EPI than it certainly wouldn't hurt the Malibu's glow. Plus if they redesign it in 3 years there's little chance of sales declining, and if it's better than the current Malibu nothing but good things should result.

Yes, but you said the word "if" twice. What if GM's redesign doesn't capture the public's eye like the current Malibu does? I'm not saying they're doomed, but there is always that potential.

IMBHO: Chevrolet Express

Uhh...explain, please, why GM should kill the best full-size van on the market.

Uhh...explain, please, why GM should kill the best full-size van on the market.

'Cause he's a 13 year old kid who doesn't get that these are cash cows?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0