Bro's Poll: What Main Chevrolet Vehicle Should Be Discontinued?

matt41

This is a truly loaded thread, frought with personal opinions and dislikes. The Express/Savannah sell something like 150k or more units, don't they? They actually outsell the Ford, last I heard, so I don't think they should be abandoned. In fact, we get a lot of people who miss the Astro/Safari. The trades and construction companies need these vehicles. Ford has always cut corners in this segment, and Dodge got out of it, so GM is the dominant player.

The Aveo needs a major overhaul (which it is getting in a few months), not a cancellation. When (not if) you and us hit $5 a gallon or more, the Aveo/Versa/Yaris and others will be very, very popular. GM needs to get more competitive with this model, the Astra and others.

From my standpoint, I have no use for the Trailblazer or the Tahoe. With the upcoming Traverse, both those vehicles have no point. If you need/want a real truck, get a Suburban or a pick up, but the Tahoe/Yukon are useless, IMO. They will become further redundant as gas prices climb. Still, since they are on the same platform as their bigger siblings, I don't suppose it hurts GM to have the Tahoe/Yukon around.

The Impala needs to be drastically altered, or it risks becoming redundant. I know the RWD thing seems to be over, but that would have been a good idea. The Equinox should be overhauled. The Uplander needs to be replaced. I want to see a new interior in the Cobalt (although the ebony cloth isn't bad.)

Impala, as it is. It will offer no extra space compared to the next-gen Malibu. No need to make two very similarly sized cars in the same lineup, IMO.

The next-gen Malibu is probably 5 years away, though, and who knows if it will be larger than the current one?

The next-gen Malibu is probably 5 years away, though, and who knows if it will be larger than the current one?

The NG Malibu is less than 3 years away if it is still on its original schedule. Even if its a few months behind by now that's only a little over 3 years away. It has been confirmed that EPII is wider than EPI, which is really the only dimension the Malibu lacks when comparing interior room to the Impala.

I'd start with Monte Carlo (or has that already been discontinued?), Aveo, Colorado, and Uplander.

Then I'd refresh/redesign Impala, Cobalt, and Equinox.

Then I'd introduce a Volt, Groove, Camaro, and Traverse (if and only if Outlook is discontinued).

The NG Malibu is less than 3 years away if it is still on its original schedule. Even if its a few months behind by now that's only a little over 3 years away. It has been confirmed that EPII is wider than EPI, which is really the only dimension the Malibu lacks when comparing interior room to the Impala.

We'll see...I can't imagine a new Malibu in only 3 years...this is GM we are talking about...

We'll see...I can't imagine a new Malibu in only 3 years...this is GM we are talking about...

I don't know if you remember, but the new Malibu was talked about as just a stop-gap product until the NG arrived. The NG LaCrosse is due on EPII in Jan-Feb 09, so the Malibu being ~2 years behind seems plausible, if you think about it that way.

I don't know if you remember, but the new Malibu was talked about as just a stop-gap product until the NG arrived. The NG LaCrosse is due on EPII in Jan-Feb 09, so the Malibu being ~2 years behind seems plausible, if you think about it that way.

Interesting...I figured the new Malibu would have a typical 4 year or so run..

Interesting...I figured the new Malibu would have a typical 4 year or so run..

I agree--only because it seems so odd that a vehicle that's praised so much would be redesigned so soon! I know the EpII is coming in about 3 years--I just hate to see it lose it's current glow.

I agree--only because it seems so odd that a vehicle that's praised so much would be redesigned so soon! I know the EpII is coming in about 3 years--I just hate to see it lose it's current glow.

If EPII is no doubt better than EPI than it certainly wouldn't hurt the Malibu's glow. Plus if they redesign it in 3 years there's little chance of sales declining, and if it's better than the current Malibu nothing but good things should result.

What, the best-selling midsize SUV?

Dump the Equinox, and replace with Captiva and more expensive midsize crossover.

Aveo is replaced sooner than you may think.

Express/Savana combined occasionally get close to the Econoline, but are usually far behind, despite being generations more advanced. Although some upfitters and bus/stepvan builders etc. prefer them, the Econoline is the defacto choice (probably cheaper). It's a bit like Walmart deciding y'all should buy Chinese products.

If EPII is no doubt better than EPI than it certainly wouldn't hurt the Malibu's glow. Plus if they redesign it in 3 years there's little chance of sales declining, and if it's better than the current Malibu nothing but good things should result.

Yes, but you said the word "if" twice. What if GM's redesign doesn't capture the public's eye like the current Malibu does? I'm not saying they're doomed, but there is always that potential.

Keep-

Full sized vans and p/u trucks-we in the trdes need them. Put a smaller diesel in the half ton p/u and van.

Corvette-development work is already done and it's a great halo car. Build a few mid engene concepts and a few wild show cars to keep the public guessing.

Malibu-what else can be done or said? Next version should have a sporty two door model, however.

Update-redesign-

...Aveo and Cobalt into one really good small car, similar to Astra. Start with a fresh sheet of paper, and go all new from the ground up. Build a hybrid and diesel version, as well as a sport compact version.

Impala-perhaps an RWD car on the Pontiac G8 Platform. Don't they already sell such a vehicle in Saudi and so forth?

Make it a limited production car. Plan on selling about 35,000 a year. Should be a niche vehicle. There are lots of older people with money, as about 80% of the wealth in the US and Canada is with people over 50. These are people who remember RWD sedans with power.Houston, you've found your market.

Trailbalzer, Equinox, HHR, et all-consolidate into one good economical smaller SUV type vehicle, smaller than current CRV/RAV-4-etc. Lots of females seem to like vehicles like these, the Hyndai santa fe, etc. Work on making this vehicle fuel efficient, because Carbiz is right, with the weakness of the Dollar $5 gas is gonna be a reality and people are still going to want to buy SUV's.

Colorado-Discontinue

Chris

...o.k., so what do you replace the Colorado with? I love it, but it seems to be too big to be a small truck and too small to do the work of a full size.

Also, does Chevrolet really need two small cars? Why? My mother has an Aveo and it is not THAT much more fuel efficient than a Cobalt, and the out the door price is not that different.

Would love to know what you are thinking.

Chris

...o.k., so what do you replace the Colorado with? I love it, but it seems to be too big to be a small truck and too small to do the work of a full size.

Also, does Chevrolet really need two small cars? Why? My mother has an Aveo and it is not THAT much more fuel efficient than a Cobalt, and the out the door price is not that different.

Chris

The lousy gas mileage is the big problem with the Aveo...a subcompact like that should get at least 40mpg...

Chris

Aveo replaced with Beat

Cobalt refreshed

HHR refreshed

Malibu

Impala moved up in size either to G-body or Zeta

Colorado refreshed similar dimensions, better interior. It's not that much bigger than the Ranger but it's worlds better. Also keep it for CAFE reasons, some guys that don't need something as large as a Silverado may start moving down if there was a good enough replacement available. Add diesel options.

Trailblazer - Refresh on the same platform as the refreshed Colorado. Make it slightly smaller than the current model. If Toyota can have 4-Runner/Highlander, Nissan can have Pathfinder/Murano, Ford can have Explorer/TaurusX/Edge/Flex, then Chevy can certainly sell Trailblazer/Traverse if they're both properly designed.

the fullsize trucks and SUVs are fine, but diesel options need to be added on lower models. and the need for the Express has already been explained. I would possibly add a smaller work van like the Astro to the Colorado/Trailblazer platform.... again for CAFE reasons.

Here is what I would do...

Kill the Trailblazer (it is going away after this year)

Kill the Uplander (and get a new van...)

Kill the Colorado... (and give it a great redesign with a 6 cylinder this time!)

Give all GMT-900's with the 5.3 or above 6spd. AUTOMATICS! (is that really gonna happen, also offer the 6.2 in the 1500 Tahoe, Suburban and Silvy with 385hp and a 6spd.)

DO NOT BRING THE CAPTIVA... (I don't like it plus it will kill Vue sales...)

Keep the Equinox and Express the same for another few years... (Give them full redesigns after)

Make all Aveos look the same inside and out and give them BETTER FUEL ECONOMY!

Edited by gm4life

Kill nothing, but replace

Impala with rear wheel drive large sedan with V-6 and V-8 engines

Equinox with Captiva

Redesign current Trailblazer on shortened GMT-900, and rename Blazer

Switch Colorado to shortened GMT-900

Replace Aveo with Captiva based Beat

Add the Groove

Add the Alpha based sedan.

The Colorado isn't too much cheaper than a Silverado:

Reg. Cab Colorado- $15,850

Reg. Cab Silverado WT- $18,425

Ext. Cab Colorado- $18,175

Ext. Cab Silverado WT- $$23,840

Crew Cab Coloradi- $22,075

Crew Cab Silverado WT- $28,105

Of course, all prices are subject to rebates, but the way the lineups are now, the Colorado wouldn't be missed too much if it were replaced by a smaller (s-10 sized) truck with a base 4cyl, keep the Atlas 5 (or 4.3 or some other V^) as a midlevel and the 4.8 or 5.3 as the top engine.

Kill nothing, but replace

Impala with rear wheel drive large sedan with V-6 and V-8 engines

I have read on other boards that GM will keep the Impala FWD, but is still considering a lower volume Chevrolet Zeta sedan based on the G8.

I have read on other boards that GM will keep the Impala FWD, but is still considering a lower volume Chevrolet Zeta sedan based on the G8.

That would be nice...FWD Impala, RWD Caprice. Maybe a LWB Epsilon II variant for the next Impala?

Edited by moltar

Only the Monte Carlo qualifies right now... Camaro will make it semi-redundant.