Brougham-Holiday

Don't touch that dip stick!

40 posts in this topic

GM needs to shout this from the rooftops, IMO. Every customer I talk to, I mention the low maintenance costs on GM products and challenge them to compare with the imports if they are shopping around. You would be amazed at how many deals this has gotten me. From timing belts to 3 month maintenance schedules, the dealer is going to see the import more often than a GM. Five years between tranny flushes, tune ups and coolant flushes all add up to a lot of savings, plus less hassle. In our busy world, most people don't want to take the time to visit the local shop for an oil change or other petty annoyances.

It is the dirtiest secret in the car business that the imports see their cars more often, while all GM vehicles (except GM-DAT) are on a 6 month maintenance schedule - and many people go 8 or 9 months between oil changes. GM has been doing this since the introduction of the Northstar engine, so it isn't even new.

GM needs to shout this from the rooftops, IMO. Every customer I talk to, I mention the low maintenance costs on GM products and challenge them to compare with the imports if they are shopping around. You would be amazed at how many deals this has gotten me. From timing belts to 3 month maintenance schedules, the dealer is going to see the import more often than a GM. Five years between tranny flushes, tune ups and coolant flushes all add up to a lot of savings, plus less hassle. In our busy world, most people don't want to take the time to visit the local shop for an oil change or other petty annoyances.

It is the dirtiest secret in the car business that the imports see their cars more often, while all GM vehicles (except GM-DAT) are on a 6 month maintenance schedule - and many people go 8 or 9 months between oil changes. GM has been doing this since the introduction of the Northstar engine, so it isn't even new.

It is outfits like Jiffy Lube that have propagated the 3000mile/3month oil change hysteria. My 99 Integra has a 4500mile change interval, and my friend's '01 Civic is a 7500mile interval.

Extended maintenance intervals are industry-wide nowadays. Lots of manufacturers - rather foolishly, I might add - have "lifetime" transmission fluids, coolants, brake fluids, and "extended life" oil change intervals.

It is outfits like Jiffy Lube that have propagated the 3000mile/3month oil change hysteria. My 99 Integra has a 4500mile change interval, and my friend's '01 Civic is a 7500mile interval.

And Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change - so every 15K, in the case of our V6.

Edited by empowah

i've changed most of my cars on a 3k schedule.....and even if i can extend it, i dont mind getting the car up on a hoist more often. Plus, in winters, the oil is BLACK and thick by 3k so I am still gonna change it at 3k in the winter, sometimes it needs it before that and you can audibly hear a difference in the motor (much quieter and smoother) after you get it changed. As a result, none of cars really ever burn oil.....which is part of the whole point. Ford did tell me recently they changed their interval to 5k so I may feel comfy with that when the climate is warmer.

As far as 'wasted oil', recycle it, DUH.

My poor RoadMOnster has about 6,000 miles on the generic lubricant in its oil pan.

Not because it's driven gently, or only on clean days, or mostly highway miles....

It's called "I'm broke & busy & the 350 will survive another 300mi till next week"

I couldn't even tell you how long its been since the Fusion had an oil change. Probably about 4000 miles, prior to that, it had gone almost 10,000.

I used to take the Camaro every 3,000 miles. But, after my last oil change the technician (assuming he noticed my oil was still in good condition) actually bumped it up to 5,000. I thought that was pretty cool!

I couldn't even tell you how long its been since the Fusion had an oil change. Probably about 4000 miles, prior to that, it had gone almost 10,000.

Holy $#it, I felt a bit like a redneck scumbag admiting the Roadmaster

had gone as long as it has, but 10,000 on a modern, almost new car?

So much for protecting your investment. :blink:

Ford recommends 5000 from the factory. I'm running full synthetic. Bet the oil is still nice and purdy in there.

Ten-K is about twice what it should be regardless of oil type/visual inspection.

Any car driven on the street with a paper/K&N air filter is geing to pick up a

LOT of dust/particles/dirt over the course of 10,000 miles. Acid buildup and

sludge do NOT sleep.

Edited by Sixty8panther

i seem to go 4000 miles every 6 months....approximately. I try to change the oil in my monte 3 times a year or so.

Well, I'll let you all know the Beast had its oil changed once... Right after I bought it. So it's gone 8k miles without one on synthetic. I would have changed it... if I cared. :P

Typically, with my other vehicles, I had changed it every 3k or 4k miles. You know, the cars that mattered.

>>"And Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change..."<<

Ahh, in other words, following GM's example from the '50s when oil filters first became standard equipment ('59 Buick~ oil change at 2-3K, filter change at 4K). By the mid '60s, GM wisely abandoned that practice ('65 Pontiac~ change both at 6K).

Saving a few dollars and continuing to use a contaminated filter is foolhardy, but the manufacturers are caught in a conundrum RE maintenance: shorter intervals increase longevity & improve reputation (and reduce warranty claims)... but people are lazy and like the sound of 'lifetime fluids'. OEMs are pushing longer cycles, but the service industry is pushing shorter & shorter intervals, further confusing the consumer. Aamco has advertised YEARLY transmission fluid changes- that's insane.

Edited by balthazar

I do change the filter everytime I change the oil, just a matter of when I get around to it.

The Sonoma went over 4,000 miles before I had the oil swapped out with 4.5 quarts of Pennzoil High Mileage last Thursday. When the oil was changed, it was a quart low ... :unsure:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Ford recommends 5000 from the factory. I'm running full synthetic. Bet the oil is still nice and purdy in there.

That's why I love Mobil 1..with a good Wix filter....

I usuallly only get about 3500 out mine though...the Cav does quite a bit of city driving....

i try every 3000 miles,,,,, and it gets a new filter everytime... i mean, a filters ~$5?its worth the peace of mind

And Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change - so every 15K, in the case of our V6.

I've always thought that's like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on.

I routinely have samples of my oil analyzed. I use Blackstone Laboratories to do the testing. After several samples, we got the oil change interval in my Fleetwood (LT1) up to 7,000 miles before the oil and all of the additives were "used up". And that wasn't using a synthetic either. It's all based on driving habits, a good portion of my driving is highway, hence it's safer to have longer intervals between changes.

The 3mo/3k miles interval has always, at least as far as I remember, been for "severe driving" conditions. All heavy stop and go traffic or short (less than 20 minutes) trips, very dirty conditions, etc.

Not so sure I buy the "lifetime" transmssion fluid though. My CTS will get a trans fluid change at 50K, even though I don't meet the conditions for it.

Just my .02. ;)

My poor RoadMOnster has about 6,000 miles on the generic lubricant in its oil pan.

Not because it's driven gently, or only on clean days, or mostly highway miles....

It's called "I'm broke & busy & the 350 will survive another 300mi till next week"

Getting 3 month oil and filter changes may seem like cheap insurance, but I think the point is that if you multiply that by 100 million vehicles, that is a lot of oil and a lot of filters that end up in the landfill. Five Canadian winters may seem like a long time before a transmission flush, but I suspect for 75% of the driving public, their cars don't see north of 70 mph, nor get stressed beyond 0-60 in 12 seconds - well below their vehicle's design capabilities. Common sense should always prevail. I am tough on my cars so I pretty much stick to a 4 or 5 month oil change schedule, even though my mileage is very low.

conversely if our cars last longer because of more frequent maintenance, then that is less cars we manufacture, less energy and materials consumed to make them. fewer cars in the junkyard.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor