HarleyEarl

CarSpotting

I know we are all going to see some incredible stuff in July.

Fire up those cameras and take photos of those cars and trucks you see.

Got a new dumpster in at work today; it was dropped off by a late 1960's Diamond Reo that was still looking sharp. Haven't seen one of those in a long, long time. I've actually seen a few obscure trucks as of late. On trip out to the western part of the state a few weeks ago, I saw a late 1960's Brockway dump truck still working hard, and about a week ago I was treated to the sight of an early 1950's Autocar DC series dump truck, also still working, but obviously treated to a major rehab in the not too distant past. Very cool. My hat's off to anybody who restores an old truck and puts it back to work, especially when it isn't your run of the mill Peterbilt, Kenworth, or Mack.

a copper colored 71 or 72 olds cutlass convertible parked beside a marina blue 66 el camino at a local garage on the way to work.

Last-gen (with the sloping back window) Cutlass Ciera coupe, base model, with stock pie plate hubcaps and properly faded light blue paint, sitting at a red light, older gray-haired guy at the helm. It's been a long time since I've seen something like that. I remember a trip to Baltimore one August weekend, driving around back at all the dealerships along Ritchie Highway, trying to catch a glimpse of next year's models. That's where I saw my first Ciera coupe with the softer, sportier roofline... I believe it was black with gold-accented lace aluminum wheels, gold pinstripes and tan interior. I was smitten with those and the similar Centurys for a while. They were a relief after the severely squared-off earlier FWD A-bodies.

Last-gen (with the sloping back window) Cutlass Ciera coupe, base model, with stock pie plate hubcaps and properly faded light blue paint, sitting at a red light, older gray-haired guy at the helm. It's been a long time since I've seen something like that. I remember a trip to Baltimore one August weekend, driving around back at all the dealerships along Ritchie Highway, trying to catch a glimpse of next year's models. That's where I saw my first Ciera coupe with the softer, sportier roofline... I believe it was black with gold-accented lace aluminum wheels, gold pinstripes and tan interior. I was smitten with those and the similar Centurys for a while. They were a relief after the severely squared-off earlier FWD A-bodies.

Blu, I liked the Ciera and Century as well. The coupes are definitely a rarity.

Here's a couple examples, wish there were some better photos, but not many around:

coupelx1.jpg

cieracoupemg4.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

Saw 4 Vipers and a Quattroporte (albeit last week). I've seen quite a few Challenger SRT-8s, and I also just saw a Challenger R/T the other day.

I see A-body Cieras and Centuries all the time... though almost never a coupe. Saw a Century Custom coupe once, thought that was .

Today I saw:

Dark green last-gen AMC Matador coupe. Drove by it again later parked in a driveway with a similar-colored Ambassador.

Black last-gen El Camino SS.

Saw a guy riding an early 1940's Indian Chief on my way to breakfast this morning; very cool!

A brand new Super duty stakebody, a Shelby GT500, and a '68 Chevelle vert with the top down - all in the space of 5 minutes.

Saw 4 Vipers and a Quattroporte (albeit last week). I've seen quite a few Challenger SRT-8s, and I also just saw a Challenger R/T the other day.

how'd you manage that? i didn't think the `09's started production yet, or at least weren't on sale yet.

A Cutlabu with two Buick fender vents on each side..... which is fine except the Cutlass came with a V6 standard.

how'd you manage that? i didn't think the `09's started production yet, or at least weren't on sale yet.

I haven't even seen one of the '08s yet, except at a car show in March.

Couldn't believe my eyes, saw a Suzuki Cappuccino in a mall parking lot today, never seen one before.

suzukicappuccinosv6.jpg

Saw a 1969 Pontiac Firebird 'Vert deep blue with white top and interior. Bucket seats, 4spd. 350 H.O. and 15' rally wheels with blue/silver/chrome trim combo. Sharp car... Very sharp, it was at a publishing companys distribution center. :drool:

Edited by gm4life

'09 Maxima at a dealer. Quite nice...

VW Passat W8 4Motion sedan at another dealer... with a perfectly intact interior, something strange for that generation. :lol:

This wasn't anywhere in real life, but I saw both a commercial and a magazine ad for the new RL.

I saw the most dismal thing tonight.

A Ford Windstar with Buick style portholes.

White '02-ish Deville with huge rims and three square portholes per side. I wanted to grab the kid by his turned-up collar, shake him and tell him "NUMBER ONE, THESE BELONG ON A BUICK, AND NUMBER TWO, YOU HAVE A NORTHSTAR, IT'S AN EIGHT CYLINDER, DID YOU EVEN KNOW THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE NUMBER OF PORTHOLES ON A BUICK FENDER, FOO?" But if I'd done that, I prolly wouldn't have been able to post this mini-rant, I'd have been waiting in the ER for 6 hours with a cap in my ass.

I'd have been waiting in the ER for 6 hours with a cap in my ass.

:rotflmao:

I see those damn portholes more and more on different cars.

We must unite and buy them all at the auto parts stores and have a ritual burning.

We must unite and buy them all at the auto parts stores and have a ritual burning.

Someone in my 'hood has an early '80s MC with them, and cheesy chrome bling wheels.

Right. And we can pass out copies of a manifesto stating that such portholes should ONLY be OEM and should ONLY be seen on Buicks and Maseratis.

I almost forgot this one from Friday:

New Saturn VUE, in black... with MARY KAY on the side. Anyone else seen one of these?

I saw a righthand car, 99.9% sure it was Japanese...but it was moving and couldn't get a read on it.....never saw one before....only way I can describe it, it looked like a smoothed over Mazda MX-3. Anyone know?

There is still a C5 with 3 portholes per side at a ghetto car lot on the "wrong" side of town. It has been there for quite some time.

Saw a mint-condition '69 Mercury Cyclone yesterday. Those are very rare around here.

-RBB

Equinox FCV on a dealer lot.

Edited by Dodgefan

'08 Focus SE Deluxe coupe in Vapor Silver, all stock except it had tinted windows and it was slammed. I've been trying to imagine how a new Focus would look with a dropped suspension. I figured the relatively high roofline would make it look retodded, but it actually looked pretty cool.

2nd gen Intrepid up the ass of a tanker trailer. That wedge shape really seemed to be bad, since the care just kept going and going under the truck. The bumper of the truck was almost to the windshield of the Intrepid. Either the Dodge driver was going really fast (considering the section of road and time of day, unlikely) or they picked the worst car ever to rear-end a larger vehicle in.

Remember my Chesterbrook Cruise Night photos?

Yeah well, I didn't take any pics of the 80s Camino that was there with bling wheels and Buick portholes.

I was nearly ill at the sight of it, and everyone walked right past it without taking a closer look.

I made sure to stand at least 10 feet away from it in case it was contagious.

A 1977 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible, red with a white ragtop and California plates being sold used next to three new G8s.

I saw my first Ferrari the other day. I believe it was a 308 GTS. Ah, the joys of sheltered living here in Brookville.

Was it red? Was Tom Selleck driving it? That's the easiest way to tell.

12-07-08_1531.jpg

^^ Parked beside me at the mall this afternoon. I couldn't freaking believe it because besides the decal it looked just like our old 1994. Same year, color, wheels, engine. Actually had to get out and walk around it. Turns out the freaking thing was optioned out exactly the same as the one we had. It had the leather wheel and the AM/FM Cassette with Graphic Equalizer and from what I could tell, rear air/heat as well. Turns out the owner lives around here as I saw it in Varsity Estates this evening as well. I wrote down the last four digits of the VIN number but they didn't match the service records from ours, but even still. What are the chances! The exact same van essentially as we had ten years ago and it 'lives' within a few blocks?!

I'm gonna be watching this one to see if it goes up for sale in the next few years, as my dad and I have decided that it's a Pontiac Dustbuster we want to fix up in the next few years... This would be the perfect freaking candidate!

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I saw a beautiful Buick Enclave today with a Budget rental sticker on the back. :(

I saw a beautiful Buick Enclave today with a Budget rental sticker on the back. :(

I saw a dark red G8 GT with Enterprise Stickers recently... I guess they missed the memo about it not being a Grand Prix :smilewide:

I saw a dark red G8 GT with Enterprise Stickers recently... I guess they missed the memo about it not being a Grand Prix :smilewide:

Given the number of '06+ Impala SS's and Grand Prix GXP's Enterprise and others scoffed up and rented out all over, and that you can now find with 10-20k on various GM Certified lots nationwide, not a shock they'd also pick up a couple of those.

The kinds of rentals that REALLY terrify me after the fact as a used car...sure a few business suits and even random old ladies ended up in them for a day, but you know they were "tested out" other times.

Saw a flawless early 1980's (1984, maybe?) Mercury Grand Marquis two-door, black with a burgundy interior. Haven't seen one of those in forever.

In downtown Charleston, SC today (I'm here for a week on vacation), there was a burgundy 1970 Wildcat 455 hardtop sedan...very nice. There was also a White Hot G8 GT in Mount Pleasant.

I saw my first G8 moving on the street a couple days ago.....at first as it went by in front of me, for a split second thought it was a new Euro something...then it hit me....it's a Pontiac G8!....has a good look as it moves by.

Also saw my first new Challenger (black)......it's probably just me, but it's not making me lust for it. I think the problem may be it's too literal...too much like the old one but not as good looking. And it appears quite large visually.

Taking my son out to breakfast Sunday, we saw a 1963 Pace car Chrysler 300 ragtop that was one of the actual festival cars.

Local car right here in Grove City Ohio, suprised I haven't seen it before...

Chris

What do a Toyota Camry LE, Hyundai Azera Limited, Honda Accord, and a donked Mercury Grand Marquis (taller than our rental Pathfinder!) have in common? Carriage roofs. The Toyota even had curb feelers.

A more pleasant sight was the older Rolls-Royce (maybe one from the 70s) and the sky blue Bentley Continental Flying Spur.

I have seen 2 Prius rentals from Enterprise (we use them for our customers who need a rental). And something irks me... NO GREEN "E" STICKER, on either one! I am wondering if "somebody" (like Toyota?) has a policy against rental car agencies putting their mark on these golf carts?

About a month ago I saw 3 of the new Ford F-150s in a hotel parking lot. Didn't really think much about it the time, but I haven't seen these on dealer lots or on the street....are they even on the market yet?....and if not, why were these 3 on the street?

A BMW X6 in Isle of Palms, SC with Georgia distributor plates. I managed to snap a picture of it:

025zq3.jpg

It's none too attractive, IMHO.

A black '09 Challenger heading south on I-95 through Cumberland County, NC. Looked pretty nice.

Also, there is a rather large freight truck graveyard just north of Florence, SC, near exit 169 off I-95.

Saw one of those new BMW X5s in blue...it almost reminds me of the AMC Concord 4x4 stationwagons.

They sure are taking a chance on something like that.

Walking along on a beautiful sunny day, I spied this in a back alley.

Nissan Pao:

nissanpaosx6.jpg

A Geo Metro in its typical pea green fashion.... but with -- get this -- an AUDI badge on the hood. :blink::huh::thumbsdown:

A Big 'Ol 1960s Buick Convertible in green sailed past me going the other direction on Bowness Road just before three.

Incredible sightings today in the hot, sunny, trendy area....

New Rolls Royce Convertible....wow.

Last generation Rolls vert.

Ford GT....the light blue one with orange stripes

Jensen Healy convertible

New Ferrari convertible

Olds Omega Coupe, first generation....never ever see those.

White 1960 Continental 4-Door HT sitting at a PetroCan Station on 4th Street NE

I saw the most dismal thing tonight.

A Ford Windstar with Buick style portholes.

White '02-ish Deville with huge rims and three square portholes per side. I wanted to grab the kid by his turned-up collar, shake him and tell him "NUMBER ONE, THESE BELONG ON A BUICK, AND NUMBER TWO, YOU HAVE A NORTHSTAR, IT'S AN EIGHT CYLINDER, DID YOU EVEN KNOW THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE NUMBER OF PORTHOLES ON A BUICK FENDER, FOO?" But if I'd done that, I prolly wouldn't have been able to post this mini-rant, I'd have been waiting in the ER for 6 hours with a cap in my ass.

Yeah, you learn not to bother telling douchebags anything. Though we understand portholes to be championed by Buick, these people (and the manufacturers) are inspired by Maserati using them on their latest cars.

Saw my first X6 (silver) around town today, with Jersey plates. Nope, still don't like it. It would have been better as a car, not an X3+X5+M Coupe amalgamation.

Also, a Dodge Magnum R/T... the second one I've seen that have the regular letters RT on the back instead of the regular stylized R/T. First time I saw it I thought it was a joke, but I guess not...

On my way home from camping today, I stopped at the local Chevy dealer. They have a dark blue '08 Cobalt SS, optioned with sunroof, LSD, low spoiler, and MP3 stereo. It's amazing how the SS is so transformed from the basic Cobalt with just a few exterior changes. My first sight of one. Very hot.

The today show:

-saw a Nissan GT-R downtown, that pearl off-white color.

-and a silver new Challenger heading down Crenshaw.

So the machines for the enthusiasts are hitting the streets.

Haven't seen much else that I haven't posted about before. Though I do take a look at what folks are putting up for sale, and I caught a early 70s Ninety Eight 4-dr. on Robertson. Would be nice if I didn't have gas prices to worry about (seem like a great car for dates).

2 black Charger SRT8s

red 300C SRT8

a bunch of k-car

some crazy guy in a hardtop Mercedes :P

There's a small car lot/repair shop near where I live which has a 1950 Chevrolet pick-up truck (with the paint all but worn off) and it's written on the windshield "V-6." Right next to it is a beige and wood 1946 Dodge truck that looks like one good wind would reduce it to a pile of sticks. It used to say "$5,000" on the windshield, but now it says "$ 000." <_< Evidently it's been reduced to what it's worth.

Saw this wonderful 66-67 2 dr. sedan Chevelle in the back lot in Leimert Park.

This morning, saw a Solstice Coupe/Targa with a MI manufacturer plate (but NO camo at all) on West Sahara here in Las Vegas!

Saw an orange Challenger w/ black stripes (going North on the 5, through the OC).

Been seeing a few SSR's, lots of Kappas. Even seen a few G8's.

In my neighborhood AutoZone's parking lot, I noticed a black '04-ish Pontiac Grand Prix 4-door with three fake portholes. I felt like yelling to the guy, "Get those off of there." But it's his car.

In my neighborhood AutoZone's parking lot, I noticed a black '04-ish Pontiac Grand Prix 4-door with three fake portholes. I felt like yelling to the guy, "Get those off of there." But it's his car.

They're on everything now from Civics to late-model 3-series. Now I know why all these douchebags love to yell "rice rice rice"* these days. It's because so many car owners tastes are frickin' tacky.

*Doesn't mean I advocate or condone that term.

They're on everything now from Civics to late-model 3-series. Now I know why all these douchebags love to yell "rice rice rice"* these days. It's because so many car owners tastes are frickin' tacky.

*Doesn't mean I advocate or condone that term.

Of course, every generation has it's tacky accessories. The big thing when I was young was the tinted headlight covers, bras, and huge windshield banners with the make or model on it. I never got into that crap, though..

I saw the 'stealth' Century again today..I've seen this car every day over the last week, it's a late '90s Century painted flat black all over---wheels, grille, chrome trim, etc. Reminds me of an OCP Taurus from Robocop.

Of course, every generation has it's tacky accessories. The big thing when I was young was the tinted headlight covers, bras, and huge windshield banners with the make or model on it. I never got into that crap, though..

Ah, the 80s. The time for hatch louvers, chrome ladies, gold leaf, and dual-blade windshield wipers.

Also saw a strange early '80s Caddy Coupe de Ville 'El Camino'. I don't know if it was a modified flower car or a custom, but I just caught a quick glimpse of it in traffic.

The today show:

-saw a Nissan GT-R downtown, that pearl off-white color.

-and a silver new Challenger heading down Crenshaw.

So the machines for the enthusiasts are hitting the streets.

Haven't seen much else that I haven't posted about before. Though I do take a look at what folks are putting up for sale, and I caught a early 70s Ninety Eight 4-dr. on Robertson. Would be nice if I didn't have gas prices to worry about (seem like a great car for dates).

I saw a sharp gold w/ black top '72 Ninety-Eight 4dr ht on Hwy 1 in the Florida Keys a week ago Sunday. Neat to see those old yachts being driven.

2 black Charger SRT8s

red 300C SRT8

a bunch of k-car

some crazy guy in a hardtop Mercedes :P

Black is just a great car for the modern Charger. They also look totally bad ass as cop cars. The City my daughters middle school is located in has Charger cop cars...and it is one of the few times I'm happy to drive through a speed trap.

Chris

Saw an orange Challenger w/ black stripes (going North on the 5, through the OC).

Been seeing a few SSR's, lots of Kappas. Even seen a few G8's.

I've seen a few G8's also. this car is WORTH all of the hype it is getting....impressive car!

Chris

This morning, saw a Solstice Coupe/Targa with a MI manufacturer plate (but NO camo at all) on West Sahara here in Las Vegas!

Glad to have you back O.C., don't be shy about coming round, eh?

Chris

Glad to have you back O.C., don't be shy about coming round, eh?

Chris

Hey thanks!

No worries....I'm still around.....just really freakin' busy here at the dealership (which is good) so my time to get on here and mess around isn't what it used to be.

Local dealer has a plethora of '09 G8s, including red metallic and an awesome blue...

Well, this is an August sighting... but here goes...

a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu goldish/light brownish this afternoon in Chicago... very nice looking!