CarSpotting

Got a new dumpster in at work today; it was dropped off by a late 1960's Diamond Reo that was still looking sharp. Haven't seen one of those in a long, long time. I've actually seen a few obscure trucks as of late. On trip out to the western part of the state a few weeks ago, I saw a late 1960's Brockway dump truck still working hard, and about a week ago I was treated to the sight of an early 1950's Autocar DC series dump truck, also still working, but obviously treated to a major rehab in the not too distant past. Very cool. My hat's off to anybody who restores an old truck and puts it back to work, especially when it isn't your run of the mill Peterbilt, Kenworth, or Mack.

Last-gen (with the sloping back window) Cutlass Ciera coupe, base model, with stock pie plate hubcaps and properly faded light blue paint, sitting at a red light, older gray-haired guy at the helm. It's been a long time since I've seen something like that. I remember a trip to Baltimore one August weekend, driving around back at all the dealerships along Ritchie Highway, trying to catch a glimpse of next year's models. That's where I saw my first Ciera coupe with the softer, sportier roofline... I believe it was black with gold-accented lace aluminum wheels, gold pinstripes and tan interior. I was smitten with those and the similar Centurys for a while. They were a relief after the severely squared-off earlier FWD A-bodies.

Last-gen (with the sloping back window) Cutlass Ciera coupe, base model, with stock pie plate hubcaps and properly faded light blue paint, sitting at a red light, older gray-haired guy at the helm. It's been a long time since I've seen something like that. I remember a trip to Baltimore one August weekend, driving around back at all the dealerships along Ritchie Highway, trying to catch a glimpse of next year's models. That's where I saw my first Ciera coupe with the softer, sportier roofline... I believe it was black with gold-accented lace aluminum wheels, gold pinstripes and tan interior. I was smitten with those and the similar Centurys for a while. They were a relief after the severely squared-off earlier FWD A-bodies.

Blu, I liked the Ciera and Century as well. The coupes are definitely a rarity.

Here's a couple examples, wish there were some better photos, but not many around:

coupelx1.jpg

cieracoupemg4.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

Saw 4 Vipers and a Quattroporte (albeit last week). I've seen quite a few Challenger SRT-8s, and I also just saw a Challenger R/T the other day.

how'd you manage that? i didn't think the `09's started production yet, or at least weren't on sale yet.

Saw a 1969 Pontiac Firebird 'Vert deep blue with white top and interior. Bucket seats, 4spd. 350 H.O. and 15' rally wheels with blue/silver/chrome trim combo. Sharp car... Very sharp, it was at a publishing companys distribution center. :drool:

Edited by gm4life

'09 Maxima at a dealer. Quite nice...

VW Passat W8 4Motion sedan at another dealer... with a perfectly intact interior, something strange for that generation. :lol:

This wasn't anywhere in real life, but I saw both a commercial and a magazine ad for the new RL.

White '02-ish Deville with huge rims and three square portholes per side. I wanted to grab the kid by his turned-up collar, shake him and tell him "NUMBER ONE, THESE BELONG ON A BUICK, AND NUMBER TWO, YOU HAVE A NORTHSTAR, IT'S AN EIGHT CYLINDER, DID YOU EVEN KNOW THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE NUMBER OF PORTHOLES ON A BUICK FENDER, FOO?" But if I'd done that, I prolly wouldn't have been able to post this mini-rant, I'd have been waiting in the ER for 6 hours with a cap in my ass.

I see those damn portholes more and more on different cars.

We must unite and buy them all at the auto parts stores and have a ritual burning.

Someone in my 'hood has an early '80s MC with them, and cheesy chrome bling wheels.

I see those damn portholes more and more on different cars.

We must unite and buy them all at the auto parts stores and have a ritual burning.

Right. And we can pass out copies of a manifesto stating that such portholes should ONLY be OEM and should ONLY be seen on Buicks and Maseratis.

'08 Focus SE Deluxe coupe in Vapor Silver, all stock except it had tinted windows and it was slammed. I've been trying to imagine how a new Focus would look with a dropped suspension. I figured the relatively high roofline would make it look retodded, but it actually looked pretty cool.

2nd gen Intrepid up the ass of a tanker trailer. That wedge shape really seemed to be bad, since the care just kept going and going under the truck. The bumper of the truck was almost to the windshield of the Intrepid. Either the Dodge driver was going really fast (considering the section of road and time of day, unlikely) or they picked the worst car ever to rear-end a larger vehicle in.

Remember my Chesterbrook Cruise Night photos?

Yeah well, I didn't take any pics of the 80s Camino that was there with bling wheels and Buick portholes.

I was nearly ill at the sight of it, and everyone walked right past it without taking a closer look.

I made sure to stand at least 10 feet away from it in case it was contagious.

I saw my first Ferrari the other day. I believe it was a 308 GTS. Ah, the joys of sheltered living here in Brookville.

Was it red? Was Tom Selleck driving it? That's the easiest way to tell.

12-07-08_1531.jpg

^^ Parked beside me at the mall this afternoon. I couldn't freaking believe it because besides the decal it looked just like our old 1994. Same year, color, wheels, engine. Actually had to get out and walk around it. Turns out the freaking thing was optioned out exactly the same as the one we had. It had the leather wheel and the AM/FM Cassette with Graphic Equalizer and from what I could tell, rear air/heat as well. Turns out the owner lives around here as I saw it in Varsity Estates this evening as well. I wrote down the last four digits of the VIN number but they didn't match the service records from ours, but even still. What are the chances! The exact same van essentially as we had ten years ago and it 'lives' within a few blocks?!

I'm gonna be watching this one to see if it goes up for sale in the next few years, as my dad and I have decided that it's a Pontiac Dustbuster we want to fix up in the next few years... This would be the perfect freaking candidate!

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I saw a dark red G8 GT with Enterprise Stickers recently... I guess they missed the memo about it not being a Grand Prix :smilewide:

Given the number of '06+ Impala SS's and Grand Prix GXP's Enterprise and others scoffed up and rented out all over, and that you can now find with 10-20k on various GM Certified lots nationwide, not a shock they'd also pick up a couple of those.

The kinds of rentals that REALLY terrify me after the fact as a used car...sure a few business suits and even random old ladies ended up in them for a day, but you know they were "tested out" other times.

In downtown Charleston, SC today (I'm here for a week on vacation), there was a burgundy 1970 Wildcat 455 hardtop sedan...very nice. There was also a White Hot G8 GT in Mount Pleasant.

I saw my first G8 moving on the street a couple days ago.....at first as it went by in front of me, for a split second thought it was a new Euro something...then it hit me....it's a Pontiac G8!....has a good look as it moves by.

Also saw my first new Challenger (black)......it's probably just me, but it's not making me lust for it. I think the problem may be it's too literal...too much like the old one but not as good looking. And it appears quite large visually.

Taking my son out to breakfast Sunday, we saw a 1963 Pace car Chrysler 300 ragtop that was one of the actual festival cars.

Local car right here in Grove City Ohio, suprised I haven't seen it before...

Chris