mustang84

Acura TL caught naked

117 posts in this topic

Wow, it looks like a cross between a ton of different cars. Aura truck, Civic rear lights, obviously the grille is terrible. Headlights are ok, but the grille ruins them. Profile could be mistaken for 15 other cars.

Wow, Honda, wow. After the pretty good-looking current car, you do this?

:blink:

That's... horrible. The current car is classy, and understated. This thing is a total eyesore.

The hind quarters remind me an awful lot of BMW's 6-series. Whilst I'd prefer a more subdued grille, Honda are definitely pushing the boat out with this particular design feature to make Acura stand out from the crowd. It's a controversial move which will either pay dividends or end up in a swift redesign.

Edited by aatbloke

That grille has GOT to be a joke! That's insane- it's monsterous! Looks like it rear-ended a chrome tanker.

Beastly in every way.

Terrible looking thing.

There used to be a time that ugly, weird, goofy design would be the deathnell of a new model.

Not anymore. I do believe ugly is in. This car and other Acuras will sell very well.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Lots of wierdness...the oversized grille-thing, the Aura decklid, the Accordish taillights....they couldn't even get the rear door upper frames to lineup with the chrome trim correctly (picture 5). Dissapointing.

The car really is huge for an Acura, and suffers from big, fat, ass syndrome as well as having an ugly face.

It looks like they tried to blend "Bangle" and "Art & Science" and failed miserably.

There used to be a time that ugly, weird, goofy design would be the deathnell of a new model.

Not anymore. I do believe ugly is in. This car and other Acuras will sell very well.

I don't think so. I read every comment at Autoblog, and only one person seemed to like the design. Acura has been losing relevancy in the market for years; I think they have just made a fatal mistake with this and the RL.

Edited by mustang84

That grille has GOT to be a joke! That's insane- it's monsterous! Looks like it rear-ended a chrome tanker.

When will they ever learn that there's a wrong way to do a big grille....

and there's a right way!

2004%20Auto%20Show%20011%20-%20Buick%20V

The front shots look pretty crazy, it actually stunned me for a brief moment when I first saw it. However, the angle of the shot (and given how close it is) is making the grill look much larger than it is. Even the person who took those photos said it doesn't look so crazy in person. It'll probably look really good in person.

The rear is what I was most interested in, and this is the first mostly uncovered shots of it. It elicits far less reaction than the front does. I don't think it's bad, throw some tall tail lights on it and you would think it was a Cadillac.

Edited by siegen

yeah, but what happens when the halucinagens wear off? :P

aura / cts rear

maxima / m35 side

mazda / cheese slicer front

yet the it will outsell the cheaper g8 (which probably performs better as well as looks way better)

Acura TL: please, I beg you, put your clothes back on!

Um, that rear end is straight from the Civic coupe. And the grill is horrible.

It could have been better is an understatement. Even Shrek and Aztek look like a supermodels in front of this.

I think Acura were chasing Infiniti in sense of monstrosity and ugliness and went one leg up. Glad to see they were competing.

The front shots look pretty crazy, it actually stunned me for a brief moment when I first saw it. However, he angle of the shot (and given how close it is) is making the grill look much larger than it is. Even the person who took those photos said it doesn't look so crazy in person. It'll probably look really good in person.

The rear is what I was most interested in, and this is the first mostly uncovered shots of it. It elicits far less reaction than the front does. I don't think it's bad, throw some tall tail lights on it and you would think it was a Cadillac.

I don't know how you could even pretend that it might not be so bad. The rear is Aura/Civic coupe and the front is just horrible.

I don't know how you could even pretend that it might not be so bad. The rear is Aura/Civic coupe and the front is just horrible.

I don't know how you can pass such firm judgment without seeing it in person or driving it.

wow... what a piece of trash! :huh:

I take back my Honda Camry comment... The Camry looks better. :wacko:

I'll wait to see it in person, but if pictures can make a car look this bad, there's some sort of problem with the design.

>>"I don't know how you can pass such firm judgment without seeing it in person or driving it. "<<

Why in the world would you have to drive it to formulate an opinion on the front-end design? You can't even see the grille from the driver's seat.... or can you ? :P

Yeah, that Acura is ugly enough to be in the sequal to "The Sixth Day" w/out Schwarzenegger, smaller buget.

I don't know how you can pass such firm judgment without seeing it in person or driving it.

Who said anything about driving dynamics? How it drives has nothing to do with how it looks. The only part of the front that's camo'd is the badge, and I'm pretty sure the small, circular badge will not drastically change the overall appearance of the front end of that thing...

TL.jpg

Nope, still hideous.

Edited by Dodgefan