Acura TL caught naked

mustang84

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it looks like a cross between a ton of different cars. Aura truck, Civic rear lights, obviously the grille is terrible. Headlights are ok, but the grille ruins them. Profile could be mistaken for 15 other cars.

Wow, Honda, wow. After the pretty good-looking current car, you do this?

Guest aatbloke

The hind quarters remind me an awful lot of BMW's 6-series. Whilst I'd prefer a more subdued grille, Honda are definitely pushing the boat out with this particular design feature to make Acura stand out from the crowd. It's a controversial move which will either pay dividends or end up in a swift redesign.

Edited by aatbloke

Lots of wierdness...the oversized grille-thing, the Aura decklid, the Accordish taillights....they couldn't even get the rear door upper frames to lineup with the chrome trim correctly (picture 5). Dissapointing.

There used to be a time that ugly, weird, goofy design would be the deathnell of a new model.

Not anymore. I do believe ugly is in. This car and other Acuras will sell very well.

I don't think so. I read every comment at Autoblog, and only one person seemed to like the design. Acura has been losing relevancy in the market for years; I think they have just made a fatal mistake with this and the RL.

Edited by mustang84

The front shots look pretty crazy, it actually stunned me for a brief moment when I first saw it. However, the angle of the shot (and given how close it is) is making the grill look much larger than it is. Even the person who took those photos said it doesn't look so crazy in person. It'll probably look really good in person.

The rear is what I was most interested in, and this is the first mostly uncovered shots of it. It elicits far less reaction than the front does. I don't think it's bad, throw some tall tail lights on it and you would think it was a Cadillac.

Edited by siegen

The front shots look pretty crazy, it actually stunned me for a brief moment when I first saw it. However, he angle of the shot (and given how close it is) is making the grill look much larger than it is. Even the person who took those photos said it doesn't look so crazy in person. It'll probably look really good in person.

The rear is what I was most interested in, and this is the first mostly uncovered shots of it. It elicits far less reaction than the front does. I don't think it's bad, throw some tall tail lights on it and you would think it was a Cadillac.

I don't know how you could even pretend that it might not be so bad. The rear is Aura/Civic coupe and the front is just horrible.

I don't know how you could even pretend that it might not be so bad. The rear is Aura/Civic coupe and the front is just horrible.

I don't know how you can pass such firm judgment without seeing it in person or driving it.

wow... what a piece of trash! :huh:

Yeah, that Acura is ugly enough to be in the sequal to "The Sixth Day" w/out Schwarzenegger, smaller buget.

I don't know how you can pass such firm judgment without seeing it in person or driving it.

Who said anything about driving dynamics? How it drives has nothing to do with how it looks. The only part of the front that's camo'd is the badge, and I'm pretty sure the small, circular badge will not drastically change the overall appearance of the front end of that thing...

TL.jpg

Nope, still hideous.

Edited by Dodgefan

Thanks for posting the PR image again. It shows that the fish-eye effect on the lens in those spyshots really does over exaggerate the grille. I can honestly say I do like the new TL from what I've seen. And if past models are any indication, I will like it more in person.

It's funny how predicable most internet posters. Almost the same reaction can be seen at vtec.net. I'm not sure where the strong prejudice comes from, but it seems like every new model that comes out is instantly ugly. I am not innocent as I have made similar comments about the Mazda 6, among others.

Thanks for posting the PR image again. It shows that the fish-eye effect on the lens in those spyshots really does over exaggerate the grille. I can honestly say I do like the new TL from what I've seen. And if past models are any indication, I will like it more in person.

It's funny how predicable most internet posters. Almost the same reaction can be seen at vtec.net. I'm not sure where the strong prejudice comes from, but it seems like every new model that comes out is instantly ugly. I am not innocent as I have made similar comments about the Mazda 6, among others.

For me, it's the grille, really...the updated RL doesn't look better than the previous, likewise for the new TSX and the new TL compared to previous versions. The previous models were much cleaner, the new ones seem to attempt to be 'bolder' looking with the tacky shield grilles...

Maybe because it is ugly? Honestly, Acura's best grill experiement was the MDX, which I rather liked. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it just seems you have no problem with the styling of any of the new Hondas.

You still haven't told us what driving the car has to do with how it looks.

Edited by Dodgefan

fish eye? pr image? dude, Acura is loosing it.

This thing looks like a buck toothed beaver.

It's ugly-ugly, not like a BMW-ugly that

sometimes grows on you with time, or that

kind of BIZZARE-UGLY that turns you off at

first because you just can't find a good

focal point or good viewing angle but over

time it grows on you.

The Ridgeline is STILL ugly, and this will still

be ugly (to me anyway) no matter how

much time passes. A 1978 Ford Granada is

an ugly POS same as it was in 1978!

...we all have what we like and dislike. Honda has yet to build a car as good looking as the Mazda 6 IMHO.

Chris

fish eye? pr image? dude, Acura is loosing it.

This thing looks like a buck toothed beaver.

It's ugly-ugly, not like a BMW-ugly that

sometimes grows on you with time, or that

kind of BIZZARE-UGLY that turns you off at

first because you just can't find a good

focal point or good viewing angle but over

time it grows on you.

The Ridgeline is STILL ugly, and this will still

be ugly (to me anyway) no matter how

much time passes. A 1978 Ford Granada is

an ugly POS same as it was in 1978!

The Granada is still better looking IMHO than the Acura though.

Chris

Maybe because it is ugly? Honestly, Acura's best grill experiement was the MDX, which I rather liked. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it just seems you have no problem with the styling of any of the new Hondas.

You still haven't told us what driving the car has to do with how it looks.

When the MDX first came out it met with equal negative opinions. The Civic also met with very negative opinions, the sedan especially. Even the old RSX was blasted at first because it wasn't as sleek or athletic looking as the old Integra. Honda designs, just about all of them save for the S2000, have a love to hate effect on everyone that sees them. The new TL is a very fine looking car, more substantial than the old, more focused on luxury, and is a big improvement on the old one IMHO.

A picture can either make or break a vehicle. Take a look at the PR shots for the new TSX (click). Notice how horrible they are. The angles are bad, they chose a bad color. Now look at this new owner's pictures of the same "boring" gray color (click). Night and day difference, for the exact same car. This is the best one IMHO; I don't see how people could have hated that car so much.

When you first commented I thought you were talking about the vehicle overall, not just the grille.

...we all have what we like and dislike. Honda has yet to build a car as good looking as the Mazda 6 IMHO.

Chris

Which Mazda 6? The ugly old one or the ugly new one?

Trick question! :neenerneener:

again, there is not a reason to consider this when a g8 GT or GXP is available with better performance at a lower price. unless you want snow traction and were simply upset with the visual abortion nissan did to the maxima.

I sat in a G8 GT yesterday while waiting for the Passat to be serviced (also test drove the new Jetta TDI), and while it's nice inside with leather, it's obviously still not a luxury car. The current TL has a nicer interior than the G8, and you get lots of luxury equipment - memory seats, real-time navigation, ELS surround sound, Xenons, Bluetooth - not even available as options on the Pontiac.

I'd still take the G8, but then I value performance over luxury.

It seems to me the person who designed this car should stick his head in that guillotine grille and let the blade fall... anyone got a basket? :AH-HA_wink:

HAHHAHA!

Maybe we can translate "let them eat cake" to 2008:

Honda PR:

(in response to complaints about this hideous zit-shaped Acura)

"Let them buy MDXs"

again, there is not a reason to consider this when a g8 GT or GXP is available with better performance at a lower price. unless you want snow traction and were simply upset with the visual abortion nissan did to the maxima.

Traction, more efficient engine, and nicer interior, more content are strong reasons... (the current TL interior is nicer than the G8, I'm assuming the new will be nicer). And available manual transmission, I assume.

When the MDX first came out it met with equal negative opinions. The Civic also met with very negative opinions, the sedan especially. Even the old RSX was blasted at first because it wasn't as sleek or athletic looking as the old Integra. Honda designs, just about all of them save for the S2000, have a love to hate effect on everyone that sees them. The new TL is a very fine looking car, more substantial than the old, more focused on luxury, and is a big improvement on the old one IMHO.

A picture can either make or break a vehicle. Take a look at the PR shots for the new TSX (click). Notice how horrible they are. The angles are bad, they chose a bad color. Now look at this new owner's pictures of the same "boring" gray color (click). Night and day difference, for the exact same car. This is the best one IMHO; I don't see how people could have hated that car so much.

When you first commented I thought you were talking about the vehicle overall, not just the grille.

Which Mazda 6? The ugly old one or the ugly new one?

Trick question! :neenerneener:

Thing about the TSX is that the grill is not nearly as massive. It looks fine, if not particularly exciting. The problem with Acur's new grill isn't so much the grill itself but that the designers seem to have no clue about proportions. The RL is a good example of this. I think you yourself chopped the grill to be a bit smaller and it made a huge difference. The TL, if the grill were smaller and more in proportion would look significantly better. Either way it's not exciting, but at least it wouldn't look ugly up front.

My beef with the rear end is that it's not original, but it looks fine.

Traction, more efficient engine, and nicer interior, more content are strong reasons... (the current TL interior is nicer than the G8, I'm assuming the new will be nicer). And available manual transmission, I assume.

TL's interior is nice but not nearly on par with say, Audi. Its basically a tarted up Accord with metal trim. G8's is not all that bad. More spartan, but certainly not out of place.

I think the G8 would have the Accord super trumped if it gets the same engine tranny combo that the Camaro is getting, and I fully expect that to be the case in 2010.

Edited by regfootball

Hmmmm, more G8 comparisons. :scratchchin:

The G8 has a V8, therefore it is better in every conceivable way. Yes I understand this. But somehow all the people still buying vehicles other than the G8 don't. Strange.

THE V8, in and of by itself is not what makes the G8 200% more car than the Acura is.

1. RWD

2. RWD

3. RWD

4. nicer styling by a mile

5. availability of V6 AND V8s.

THE V8, in and of by itself is not what makes the G8 200% more car than the Acura is.

1. RWD

2. RWD

3. RWD

4. nicer styling by a mile

5. availability of V6 AND V8s.

RWD-only, muscle-car styling, and a V8. If those are your 3 primary concerns when purchasing a car, then the G8 is certainly a better purchase for you, and chances are the Acura or other luxury cars won't be cross-shopped. People don't buy a TL for any of those reasons.

RWD-only, muscle-car styling, and a V8. If those are your 3 primary concerns when purchasing a car, then the G8 is certainly a better purchase for you, and chances are the Acura or other luxury cars won't be cross-shopped. People don't buy a TL for any of those reasons.

Correct..different products, different market niche.

Edited by moltar

dude, the G8 is drop dead gorgeous and is not a muscle car styling exercise. if anything its a GM interpretation of BMW forms. The g8 looks in proper company parked next to any BMW.

the TL....not at all. its a visual abortion.

yet for the same money, the G8 is a much better use of money. more car and performance, unless you're obsessed with nav and a vtec logo on the engine cover. and love it when consumer reports reaffirms your decision.

Again, though, whether it is a 'much better' use of money depends on the consumer's individual needs and how the product matches those needs. Not everyone has the same needs and interests in products.

Well I for one think Acuras are for Nerds, Wrinkled

baby-boomers & momma's boys. After they own

them for a few years (or lease) it becomes a "hand

me down" for a high school or college kid and after

that it goes to some inner city dope with a taste

for hennesey and "GANGSTA" tatoos.

It is at this point that the car becomes even MORE

unappealing when it receives a few gross scars like

perhaps a crunched hood and plastic over its

broken window. Then it gets 2 coils cut out of its

alrady tired springs, and subsequently the entire

undercarriage, oil & trans pans & gas tank get

scratched up as sparks fly when the car goes over

any & all (even minor) potholes & manhole covers.

Of course a all this is complemented by a 2 foot

tall decklid "Red Barron" spoiler, 20" rims with

gawwwd-awful styling & a body kit that is mostly

just cheap injection molded PVC that gets dry-wall

screwed to the squishy & rusty rocker panels.

I'll stop now... :P

I don't like the front end of this thing, as previously stated, but different strokes for different folks. Not everyone wants or needs RWD or a V8.

That's why we have choices/

Yes, some people on here don't seem to comprehend that simple fact. I like RWD and V8s, but I do like the current TL (and know several owners, who are well-educated 30-something professionals, not the people described in 68's juvenile rant). I'm not a big FWD fan, but I do like the looks of the current TL, love the interior, and have driven them a few times..they drive very nicely.

Edited by moltar

Yes, some people on here don't seem to comprehend that simple fact. I like RWD and V8s, but I do like the current TL (and know several owners, who are well-educated 30-something professionals, not the people described in 68's juvenile rant). I'm not a big FWD fan, but I do like the looks of the current TL, love the interior, and have driven them a few times..they drive very nicely.

I think the current one looks great, especially in Type S form.