Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

New Jeep Patriot/Compass interiors

55 posts in this topic

I've just seen the new interiors of the Jeeps, and I have to say, wow, what an improvement. the design isn't earth shattering, but it looks far, far more upscale than the plastic bin interiors of the current cars.

The images are in the allpar forums, http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?sho...t=0&start=0

CALIBER.bmp.jpg

PATRIOT.bmp.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan

Hthe current one for comparison.

2008.jeep.patriot.20136647-E.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan

Can't you just rehost the images on imageshack?

It is a big improvement over the current interior design. It looks much more refined and upscale.

Can't you just rehost the images on imageshack?

Done

Thanks!

They look better, but still not amazing or anything. Should stay reasonably fresh for a few years.

What's with the red target logos on the seats??

The images are scans from the new brochure, so it's most likely a demonstration of the heated seats.

The images are scans from the new brochure, so it's most likely a demonstration of the heated seats.

Ahh... that makes sense. One thing that is interesting, the black/gray interior has a different greenhouse than the tan one. I'm guessing the tan one is a Patriot and the dark one a Compass?

What's with the red target logos on the seats??

I'm guessing that demonstrates the seat heater locations?

As for the interior in general, there isn't much wrong with the new design, but there wasn't much wrong with the older one, either. The problems were all due to cheap materials and cheaper construction quality. This design might look fresher, but how is it constructed? What is the overall materials quality?

As for the interior in general, there isn't much wrong with the new design, but there wasn't much wrong with the older one, either. The problems were all due to cheap materials and cheaper construction quality. This design might look fresher, but how is it constructed? What is the overall materials quality?

Yes, my dissapointment with recent Chrysler products has been interior materials and fit and finish, not the design. The '05-present Grand Cherokee, for instance..the design is fine, but the materials are dreadfully cheap for a $35k+ vehicle...my '00 GC interior has much nicer, soft touch materials on the dash instead of the concrete-like material of the '05+.

Edited by moltar

Ahh... that makes sense. One thing that is interesting, the black/gray interior has a different greenhouse than the tan one. I'm guessing the tan one is a Patriot and the dark one a Compass?

Correct, the tan interior is the Patriot, the black is the Compass. I'm curious to see what the Caliber's will look like.

Supposedly they have been going to great lengths and studying European interiors to make their interiors better. I can't say for certain, but despite the grainy scan, they certainly look much nicer and far less plasticy...so here's hoping.

The dash design reminds me of a cross between the last Liberty and a VW Jetta...simple, and clean (notice the 1-piece dash). VW interiors are certainly not a bad choice to benchmark!

Edited by Dodgefan

Correct, the tan interior is the Patriot, the black is the Compass. I'm curious to see what the Caliber's will look like.

Supposedly they have been going to great lengths and studying European interiors to make their interiors better. I can't say for certain, but despite the grainy scan, they certainly look much nicer and far less plasticy...so here's hoping.

The dash design reminds me of a cross between the last Liberty and a VW Jetta...simple, and clean (notice the 1-piece dash). VW interiors are certainly not a bad choice to benchmark!

GM has been "studying European interiors" for decades and only recently got it right. IIRC, Chrysler was owned by M-B when the original cheap ones were approved.

Also, photochopped renderings always make interiors look better than they are. If you go to the Chrysler website and look at the Sebring interior, it looks kinda nice in those photos.

GM has been "studying European interiors" for decades and only recently got it right. IIRC, Chrysler was owned by M-B when the original cheap ones were approved.

Also, photochopped renderings always make interiors look better than they are. If you go to the Chrysler website and look at the Sebring interior, it looks kinda nice in those photos.

The annoucement the interiors were going to be redesigned came after Cerberus bought Chrysler, I think.

I have some hope, because the Ram's interior went from being cheesy to one of the nicest in it's class. We'll see.

nice improvements. i like the caliber SRT. a real stealthmobile.

Black picture is nice... now for the Caliber which needs this just as bad.

It's still a MUCH nicer interior.

Starting to have hope that things will improve!

Chris

Black picture is nice... now for the Caliber which needs this just as bad.

It's due for one as well, and it probably has been done, pictures just haven't surfaced yet most likely.

Be interesting to see what they do with the Caliber. My son Joel and I looked at a Caliber SRT-4 in the showroom when we went and looked at those Challengers, and it seems like they are doing a better job getting assembly on the line done well.

Like I said, Cerebis is giving me some hope for Chryco.

Chris

Here's an interesting video interview of some industry interior experts, including an plastics graining consultant contracted by Chrysler...

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1207

The 2009 Ram is apparently the first to benefit from these soft-look, low-sheen finishes. Perceived interior quality is as much visual as it is tactile. Recent Chrysler interiors have too many angular shapes and not enough layers, giving it a one-piece "molded" plastic appearance. This MCE visually softens the interior.

DG007_009CA.jpg

Edited by empowah

can i get a job as a 'plastics graining consultant'? seriously! is there such a thing! the architect bit i've had enough of!

kudos to chrysler for acting fast to try to correct the issues with these cars.

Edited by regfootball

Ford and Chrysler have shown they can move quickly to remedy some design issues, Ford with the Focus just prior to intro, and now Chrysler with the Sebring and these interiors. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a quicker-reacting industry in general, in regards to minor design changes. That black shot is especially nice.

According to C&D and Motor Trend for the 09 guides, the Caliber isn't getting the interior over haul, just My-GIG.