How LOW can you GO?

According to gasbuddy, gas was $3.07 a year ago.

Rte 70 near Medford, NJ $1.739 at a Wawa convenience/gas store. Last time I can recall gas being this low was 10 years ago. It was $1.559 during the first Gulf War in January 1991. Adjusted for the intervening inflation of nearly 17 years, this is of nearly monumental consequences.

Beware of the deflationary spiral we are subject to. Next it'll be wages. If this lasts too long, it is in it's own way, worse than the upward spiral of nearly everything (except housing prices) which we were seeing only 4 short months ago. The Real Estate market has yet to see bottom. Wall Street doesn't know whether the sky is falling or if the earth will open as a yawning chasm and swallow everything whole.

We're in uncharted territory as it concerns the Economy.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rte 70 near Medford, NJ $1.739 at a Wawa convenience/gas store. Last time I can recall gas being this low was 10 years ago. It was $1.559 during the first Gulf War in January 1991. Adjusted for the intervening inflation of nearly 17 years, this is of nearly monumental consequences.

Really? I can remember prices in the mid $.80 cent range pretty frequently around the time I was learning to drive, which would have been about 1998. The lowest I've ever seen personally was 78 cents a gallon.

When we moved to MO in '98 gas was $0.88/gallon, it was about a quarter more in IL. When I got got my license in 2000 gas was hovering around a dollar. I used to be able to fill the tank of my Dakota with the loose change that would accumulate in the truck.

I wonder if there is a website that shows historical gas prices.. I really can't remember what the prices were in '86 when I learned to drive, or in '92 when I graduated from college, or '97 when I left grad school for the corporate life.

$1.64 at ProFuels. The drop continues.

CTS.....really empty....REALLY empty....like driving on "Low Fuel" for two days now......

OK....I'm bad about looking at the acutal prices......but I stopped by the other night at Terrible Herbst's (Chevron) on my way home from work.....ran inside to get gum while the pump was pumping.....and came back out and saw it had clicked off at $38....so I'm all like clicking the thing again and again wondering why it shut off early, then gas starts pouring all over the ground....then I looked at the gallons, 16.9 gallons....

The friggin CTS filled up, on 89-octane nonetheless, for only $38!!!!!!

>>"I really can't remember what the prices were in '86 when I learned to drive, or in '92 when I graduated from college, or '97 when I left grad school for the corporate life. "<<

Today, the one station near me I noticed was 1.63 for 87.

Logbook: '94 F-150:

10-07-06 : $2.11 (87)

10-09-05 : $2.75 (87)

10-08-04 : $1.95 (87- apparently circa $2 was enuf to pull the chip)

10-10-03 : $1.73 (93- had a chip in the truck)

10-08-02 : $1.55 (93)

10-04-01 : $1.47 (93)

10-xx-00 : $1.71 (93)

10-04-98 : $1.19 (93)

10-12-96 : $1.17 (87)

10-12-94 : $1.12 (87)

>>"I really can't remember what the prices were in '86 when I learned to drive, or in '92 when I graduated from college, or '97 when I left grad school for the corporate life. "<<

Today, the one station near me I noticed was 1.63 for 87.

Interesting...I wonder when it was last widely below $1/gal for regular. I'm sure in 1986 in rural Ohio it was probably under $1..

This morning I was driving to work in the rain (first time I've driven in the rain in the dark in over 6 months--rain is so rare here in the desert), stopped to fill up the Merc @ 1.93 for 87. Total was about $28, compared to over $60 a few months ago.

Edited by moltar

Really? I can remember prices in the mid $.80 cent range pretty frequently around the time I was learning to drive, which would have been about 1998. The lowest I've ever seen personally was 78 cents a gallon.

I won't dispute your recollections though I doubt it's been under a buck for over twenty years.

Springtime 1979 we were in 'shock' that gas was selling for $0.75/gallon. The so-called 2nd oil shock happened later that Summer and into the Fall of '79. It triggered a recession and subsequent slowdown in the U.S. economy that stretched into 1983.

1998, was filling my '97 Z28 with Sunoco Ultra 94 octane to the tune of $1.39/gallon. That's the best of my recollection. I was logging those fill-ups but I can't verify to myself what I seem to recall as I can't locate those old notebooks.

Its definately been under $1 within the last decade. It just all depends on which state you live in.

Not that I don't believe you...it's just that I don't believe you!

"Modern times": When I was in Atlanta circa 2004-2006 I paid $1.93/gallon for 87 octane in January '05. In August 2005, while visiting Northern relatives for a couple of weeks for Labor Day I got out of town 12 hours before Katrina came ashore. Gas was already on the rise that Summer. When I left Georgia, it was $2.30/gallon. By the time I was turning around to come back it'd gone up as high as $3.55/gallon for 87 octane. There was word (and evidence) of spot shortages on the East Coast. The price per gallon went up $.08 from the time I had parked at the pump, gone in gotten coffee and returned to fill it up. This was near Raleigh, NC at 11 pm or so on Monday 09-12-2005. I filled it at every opportunity as I made my way back to Georgia until I knew that I had the fuel to get there and have half a tank in reserve.

So I can remember recent events but I swear that I can't remember Regular being under a buck in the last 10 years even allowing for regional differentals. I'm a Doubting-Thomas.

Filled up the 500SEC this AM at Sunoco for $40.

($1.87/gallon)

My wife told me that she saw it at $1.77 at the

Sunoco in No. Reading.

I won't dispute your recollections though I doubt it's been under a buck for over twenty years.

Springtime 1979 we were in 'shock' that gas was selling for $0.75/gallon. The so-called 2nd oil shock happened later that Summer and into the Fall of '79. It triggered a recession and subsequent slowdown in the U.S. economy that stretched into 1983.

1998, was filling my '97 Z28 with Sunoco Ultra 94 octane to the tune of $1.39/gallon. That's the best of my recollection. I was logging those fill-ups but I can't verify to myself what I seem to recall as I can't locate those old notebooks.

It was $0.88 in the mid 90's up here in MA.

It's $1.81 down the street, but I bet in Salem, NH it's cheaper (usually is by a dime or so).

Edited by Dodgefan

Its definately been under $1 within the last decade. It just all depends on which state you live in.

Not that I don't believe you...it's just that I don't believe you!

So I can remember recent events but I swear that I can't remember Regular being under a buck in the last 10 years even allowing for regional differentals. I'm a Doubting-Thomas.

It was under$1 when I started driving in '95. This was in Southern California, where price tend to be slightly higher then the national average.

I would have said, if asked, that the last time I could say it was under a buck was prior to August of '90. After S. Hussein invaded Kuwait I saw the price climb from $1.02 to $1.25 overnight. I was on a fishing trip and ranging all over North Central Pennsylvania and refilling frequently. That was to me the steepest increase in any commodity in a short period of time I'd seen to that point.

Must be a hole in my recollection. I do remember being extremely busy at work from late '92 through March of '07 and paying scant attention to little else but work during those years.

That's an eye-opener. In this region (Northeast) the prices have generally been running under the Nat'l average quoted on CNBC and MSNBC. In New Jersey, they still do the filling for you. Nice at anytime of the year. Yesterday bought Shell 87 octane for $1.659 in Newark, DE on College Ave. about 2 blocks from the Lacrosse/Field Hockey stadium of The University of Delaware.

When I started driving back in 1995at 16 years old, gas was

routinely under $1.00 in the no-name stations... My Pontiac

almost always got PREMIUM to the tune of $1.19 or so.

That's an eye-opener. In this region (Northeast) the prices have generally been running under the Nat'l average quoted on CNBC and MSNBC. In New Jersey, they still do the filling for you. Nice at anytime of the year.

They do that in Oregon also...surprised me the first time I was out there..wasn't sure if I should tip the attendant or not.

Shoot ... I shoulda waited to fill up the older MCs by a few days.

Driving around town today, I spotted a price of $1.78 for 87 octane; $1.98 for 93 octane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"There's a freeway runnin' through the yard" ... Tom Petty ... 'Free Fallin''

$1.669 BEFORE a 3 cent card discount at Safeway, but I currently have a 10 cent discount to be used by 12-31-08.

For some reason, OR/WA are about 10 cents more than Northern Calif. at this time. I don't know why.

Are you really thinking something is seriously wrong or some economic mechanism isn't working....that gas is $ 3.00 a gallon less than it was 6 months ago?