Not good for Chrysler...

gm4life

Another 'analyst' BEGGING for the death of a domestic automaker.

I like how MOST of the analysts thoughts were geared toward the process of phasing Chrysler out as opposed to stating exactly why this OUTSIDER believes that the company will not survive.

'The street' and the media want blood... If they can't get it from all three automakers now, they will systematically 'deteriorate' the companies through self-fulfilling prophecies such as this. Sure, Chrysler is in bad shape, but why can't they recover like any other business that is on the skids? because "america doesn't need 3 automakers" It apparently does, however, need 12-15 foreign automakers.

Just wait for the sales charts after this hits the press...

So, we'll systematically PHASE OUT Chrysler... Ford is all but bankrupt anyway (The damage was done a long time ago, and the company would be dead if not for the Ford family) and we'll "regulate" GM into the ground via the government, I guess.....

Seriously... We've went from begging for divisions to die to begging for corporations to die. What will be next after we phase Chrysler out? "Domestic market share will continue to slide prompting the phase out of Ford and scale down to phase out of GM"?!?!

You bet...

disgusting.

This isn't a surprise at all. It's a shame, but lots of people can see it coming. For every Challenger, or Caravan, ChryCo has like, three 'Nitro's' ; vehicles that are either half-assed, or not what people need or want.

Still, I hope this doesn't come to fruition, even though it'd be nice for GM to have Jeep.

This isn't a surprise at all. It's a shame, but lots of people can see it coming. For every Challenger, or Caravan, ChryCo has like, three 'Nitro's' ; vehicles that are either half-assed, or not what people need or want.

Still, I hope this doesn't come to fruition, even though it'd be nice for GM to have Jeep.

So they can mismanage that brand too?

It's unfortunate and certainly possible, if Chrysler can weather the storm until `10, they'll have a slew of new, and supposedly vastly improved productes, an EV, and one of the most advanced V6 engine series in the world.

Edited by Dodgefan

Bah. Analysts are full of it.

I believe that if Cerberus doesn't bail on Chrysler itself, Chrysler can survive. Chrysler built more desirable cars (if only styling) in the 1990's than GM or Ford put together.

Intrepid vs. Impala vs. Taurus?

For me, gotta be Intrepid.

intrepid- adj. bold.

I have to agree with SMK on this one...at least part of it. I never want to see any of the three go, but Cerberus should be pumping some of it's billions into the company. That was one of the perks of it going private, right?

O.K., but why should they not receive a government loan if the other automakers are receiving one?

O.K., but why should they not receive a government loan if the other automakers are receiving one?

Because of the inherent lack of transparency of a privately held company. I'm not totally against a loan to Chrysler, but that is one of the main reasons for not doing it.

It's JUST ANOTHER stinking pessimistic article. I can find just as bad opinioanted articles for Ford and GM in less than ten seconds.

Who cares?

Either Ford, Chrysler and GM get their sh*t together or they don't. That's the bottom line.

ummm...It's pessimistic because that's reality.

Of the Big 3, Chrysler has a zero probability of surviving '09 without a partner or closure.

The GM/Ford stuff annoys me, but the Chrysler stuff is deadly accurate, unfortunately.

That's ONE vehicle.

Submitted for your approval in brand mismanagement:

2001-05-Pontiac-Aztek-01129291990002.jpg

2007pontiacg52.jpg

2009_pontiac_vibe_official_image001.jpg

08montreals0941911fy9.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!

2005-Saab-9-2X-05903081990002.jpg

saab_97x_aero_2008_exterior_angularfront

That's off the top of my head.

I rest my case.

:confused0071:

First off, the Aztec was pre-Lutz and even pre-Wagoner when it was conceived/designed. It may have been ugly, but it was ahead of its time in every other way. The Vibe is all that is holding Pontiac together in Canada right now - they aren't selling anything else. Hell, our dealership has sold 3 of them this month - and we're Chevrolet!

Not sure how the G3 is selling in the U.S., but even in the U.S. the Aveo was matched for sales with the Fit (as of mid -year '08 sales anyway).

To add to what MyerShift said, I would agree that based on looks alone the Intrepid won, but the mid-90s was not a good time for Mopar quality. Canada's Wonderland had to be rented for a month or two while the powers that be in the Bramalea plant tried to figure out why the engine block was LEAKING. It's not joke that when we took trades from mid-90s Intrepids or Caravans we wanted to know if it was the ORIGINAL tranny or not. Chrysler has ONLY survived the past 15 years because it HAD the best looking vehicles on the road. As boring as the Lumina was, I still see many of them on the road around here.

GM's biggest flaw for the past decade or so has been BORING designs. Lutz has been fighting hard to change that. Chrysler, on the other hand, has gone in the other direction. They've gone from the best interiors, to among the worst and from sharp looking vehicles to, at best, quirky.

I mean, how could you put the blockbuster PT Cruiser design of '99 in the same league as the new Compass?

I'm not sure Jeep can be any more mismanaged by GM than Chrysler.

2007-jeep-compass-part-2-top.jpg

:P

This is an abomination...but then it's still better than half the other products being offered so...

Chris

ummm...It's pessimistic because that's reality.

Of the Big 3, Chrysler has a zero probability of surviving '09 without a partner or closure.

The GM/Ford stuff annoys me, but the Chrysler stuff is deadly accurate, unfortunately.

Well, with Chrysler having more cash on hand and less cash needed urgently, I'll have to point at GM in the biggest troubles with no financial help. I think Chrysler has more in terms of "survivability" going for it than GM. GM is in BIG trouble if it doesn't get outside help, and soon.

Ford is arguably the best positioned IMO too.

That's ONE vehicle.

Submitted for your approval in brand mismanagement:

That's off the top of my head.

I rest my case.

I would add most of the Hummer line, Saturns (creating self-competition) etc etc.....

The Patriot is a danged boring vehicle IMO. It's not a factor in the "vehicle wars" as far as enthusiasts, or even the general public are concerned, but it doesn't DRIVE PEOPLE AWAY from car lots, like the Aztec etc...

The ONLY thing I give credit to the imports is they seem to have better management skills, but that may soon turn with the economy as well...?

We've already had a couple of Mazda dealers close around here, and word from the inside is a lot of the other Honda/Toyota stores are in trouble also.

Chris

Only closer we've had is the Lincoln/Mercury/Jeep/Eagle dealer that closed last year. LM were picked up by a Ford dealer outside of town, Jeep went to the Chrysler/Nissa/Kia dealer and Eagle has been dead for a decade, but their old radio jingle pops into my head anytime I think about that place.

Chicagoland still has too many stand alone Chrysler or C/Jeep dealers. They must think Lee I will come to rescue and bring back Plymouth for them.

I remember when I bought my Jeep back in 2000, Colorado Springs (city of 400k, metro area of about 550k) had 3 Jeep dealers, of which 2 were less than a mile apart--one a Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep and the other standalone Jeep dealer, IIRC.

Your reasoning for this?

No product in the pipeline.

No staff

No sales

No money

As it stands right now, Chrysler LLC is a shell and the buyouts last month gutted the company, permenantly damaging it from ever returning.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20081219-6.html

Chrysler cannot meet the terms and conditions of loans.

The company is already shut down and it is highly unlikely the operations will reopen in a month.

The $4 billion the government will give them will go towards accounts payable (suppliers) then it is over. Chrysler will not have the cash to reopen its plants next month.

By Chrysler paying off their suppliers now, it prevents an immediate shock to the supply chain that could set off a wave of banruptcies. That is where the bailout money is going. Think of it not as a loan but a subsidy.

By April 1, 2009 Chrysler LLC will be broke.

Edited by evok

Shhh...CMG and Dodgefan will accuse you of being biased and ignorant, since Chrysler is the greatest company in the world and they have piles upon piles of money that they've made from selling the greatest vehicles (wheeled or otherwise) this solar system has ever seen.

Shhh...CMG and Dodgefan will accuse you of being biased and ignorant, since Chrysler is the greatest company in the world and they have piles upon piles of money that they've made from selling the greatest vehicles (wheeled or otherwise) this solar system has ever seen.

You know I have been accused of worse.

A sad end to a once great company that was a victim of the go-go days of false prosperity brought on by thieves, criminals and incompetents running our banks and financial institutions. You're probably right in saying they won't re-open and the "one month" time period was just a head fake designed to slow down the spiral a bit.

No product in the pipeline.

No staff

No sales

No money

As it stands right now, Chrysler LLC is a shell and the buyouts last month gutted the company, permenantly damaging it from ever returning.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20081219-6.html

Chrysler cannot meet the terms and conditions of loans.

The company is already shut down and it is highly unlikely the operations will reopen in a month.

The $4 billion the government will give them will go towards accounts payable (suppliers) then it is over. Chrysler will not have the cash to reopen its plants next month.

By Chrysler paying off their suppliers now, it prevents an immediate shock to the supply chain that could set off a wave of banruptcies. That is where the bailout money is going. Think of it not as a loan but a subsidy.

By April 1, 2009 Chrysler LLC will be broke.

think i should get some "GXP" badges for my aztek?

chrysler could move more metal with permanent across the board MSRP cuts in the interim. at least that would stimulate volume and cash flow. they aren't getting the transaction prices anyways. i would also market the snot out of them to fleets too. to clean out inventory and just get paid for what they have made.

Shhh...CMG and Dodgefan will accuse you of being biased and ignorant,

Biased, maybe.

since Chrysler is the greatest company in the world and they have piles upon piles of money that they've made from selling the greatest vehicles (wheeled or otherwise) this solar system has ever seen.

Now THAT is the "ignorant" part....

LOL

:AH-HA_wink: