What simple pleasures do you enjoy?

Now that I'm home for the holidays, my neighbor came over yesterday with a basket full of fresh ripe tomatoes that she brought back from Florida on Friday. Those tomatoes smelled like they do when I pick them out of my garden in July. Yesterday I left my gated community and headed for the Little Italy section of Wilmington and went straight to M. Fierro & Sons to pick up some mozzarella cheese. (Open on Saturdays in December)

Today I had a plate full of sliced tomatoes on a bed of sliced mozzarella cheese sprinkled with a nice balsamic vinegar, it was to die for.

Link to M. Fierro & Sons to see their products, which are excellent and locally made below:

http://www.mfierrocheese.com/history.html

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

There are quite a few things I could list, but for me, the top of the list has to be hanging out with friends and doing the music thing. Nothing makes me happier than when someone grabs a guitar or sits down at a piano and everyone sings the songs they know.

Music has kept me alive many, many, times.

Yesterday I left my gated community and headed for the Little Italy section

Oh, no, here we go again :rolleyes:

Simple pleasure? A hot cup of earl grey tea and doing my reading or other paperwork...preferably NOT at a "chain" location.

Sitting at the computer and replying to the forums as I see fit. Eating junk food( Likely thats why I look the way I do but thats another topic). Playing with different recipes when I am cooking. Playing with my cat.

Sitting in the warm house on the couch, with a cup of hot cocoa, watching the snow fall, as I did today. There's nothing quite like it.

(watching the cars slide around on the hill is an amusing bonus)

Watching the snow fall can be fun. Up in the PNW, where my Mom lives, they don't have the set-up to get rid of the snow and Portland and Seatlle have slowed to a crawl. It's been snowing there for a week and they are expecting another week of the white stuff. The West is atypically cold right now.

Watching the snow fall can be fun. Up in the PNW, where my Mom lives, they don't have the set-up to get rid of the snow and Portland and Seatlle have slowed to a crawl. It's been snowing there for a week and they are expecting another week of the white stuff. The West is atypically cold right now.

There's something mystical about the way snowflakes gently coast through the air and to the ground. I enjoy watching the height of snow storms because it shows the awesome power of nature in a display that's beautiful, then watching the gentle flurries dancing in the air after the storm. It reminds me why I like winter so much.

We've had 2 snow storms in 3 days, I'm quite enjoying it.

It also helps to have a snowblower so cleanup doesn't suck so much.

*Off the top of my head*

Here at the APT:

Messing with and maintaining my plants. You could say I've brought the outdoors in with me as I have usually 25-30 plants in the apartment at all times. (They range in size from about 6 inches tall to about 11 feet tall)

Playing with our dogs or taking them to play with other dogs. They really are our kids and they're spoiled accordingly. :D (Since I'll by choice, never have kids, I kind of get that connection from them. And as an added bonus, they're smart enough to know not to sh*t themselves)

Cleaning. I'm a fanatical neat freak and since our apartment is historic and we love to 'entertain' I take pride in keeping it extremely clean (Seriously, I have hobby brushes to touch up the paint 'on the corners' once a week)

Hanging out at the bar I work at. The neighborhood is very close nit and it serves as a sort of 'community center'.

Photography. Charlotte was virtually bankrupted by the death of the textile industry in the 70s and 80s. And even though they almost seem to enjoy demolishing historic or old buildings for the sake of progress, the 'downtown area' surrounding center city (uptown -- where all the banks are headquartered) still contains TONS of old structures and cool industrial stuff. So I've attempted to become a sort of amateur photographer. I'm not that good, but I have landed some cool shots.

Car shows. This area is NASCAR country and not surprisingly, there is a HUGE classic car culture here. I can usually hit at least one show each day of the week in the summer (If I wanted to)

At home: (Where I grew up)

Working on my cars (this is where my fanatical side comes out at home) and being out in nature. I'm outside as much as possible when the weather is nice. Either working on my cars, working in the yard, exploring the mountains or going to car shows. Anything, so long as I don't have to sit indoors.

Having heavy metal listening sessions/movie sessions. A friend and I actually plan times to just goof off and listen to new metal, watch new movies and discuss them. It's hella fun.

Camping and scenic rides. When I was younger, my family traveled a lot on weekends and holidays. Conventions, camping trips, day trips to explore the scenery. Always fun.

Hanging out with family and friends. Cook outs, parties, bon fires, you name it.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

FOG, I would never have guessed you were a fanatical neat freak! :lol:

I have a Husky, so cleaning is mandatory to keep the Health Board out of our place!

I like to harass my pussy (okay, okay, that was far too leading): our 6 month old kitten. She is very bright and it's fun to watch her dive-bomb and attack the dog. With encouragement, of course.

Lately, I've decided to scan all my old photos - and I have thousands of them. My scanner is doing a great job and I am pleased with the results. I am looking forward to throwing out all my old albums (after the appropriate full back up, of course!) This has turned out to be a therapeutic waltz down memory lane, although at times it is more like a trip through the House of Horrors. As some of you might imagine, along with keeping a detailed journal for the better part of 30 years, I also have detailed notes on the back of all my photos. It is interesting the details one forgets about events that happened 10 or 20 years ago. Anywayk, it's a time consuming job, but transcribing the notes onto the computer is interesting, and it has the added benefit of keeping me off the street.

Oh, no, here we go again :rolleyes:

Simple pleasure? A hot cup of earl grey tea and doing my reading or other paperwork...preferably NOT at a "chain" location.

Me too! And I hate chain resteraunts also.

Chris

In the summer, getting into an ice-cold bed from the a/c under the covers, and feelin' all snuggly.

In the winter, getting into the ice-cold bed from the cool apartment, and feelin' all snuggly.

Having Kelly flop on her back and lift her paws for the most intense belly-scratchin' she could imagine.

A large cup of warm tea on a cold night.

Drinking tea or cocoa with the Christmas tree lit and the snow falling outside.

A really good horror movie on tv late at night and nothing to do the next morning.

Walking through the door and having a kid charging at you with a huge smile on her face, hands in the air, screaming, "Uncoo Paweeeee!" and hugging her as tight as you can.

I enjoy sex...but I enjoy just spending time with my wife and children also.

Chris

If it weren't for sex, you wouldn't have a wife or children. In fact, you wouldn't exist. Therefore sex > everything.

:smilewide: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But speaking of kids, mine will eat asparagus without any protest, but refuses to eat a hamburger.

If it weren't for sex, you wouldn't have a wife or children. In fact, you wouldn't exist. Therefore sex > everything.

:smilewide: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But speaking of kids, mine will eat asparagus without any protest, but refuses to eat a hamburger.

I can top that. Niece refused to eat pizza. Ate a raw onion.

sounds funny, but i honestly don't know how to answer that question. i've completely lost touch with anything regarding 'simple pleasures'.

can i have some complex pleasures? like, 5 years off from work, half a mill in the bank, 5 new cars, and the ability to just donate my time to help people who actually need help?

sounds funny, but i honestly don't know how to answer that question. i've completely lost touch with anything regarding 'simple pleasures'.

can i have some complex pleasures? like, 5 years off from work, half a mill in the bank, 5 new cars, and the ability to just donate my time to help people who actually need help?

That could be good....

As usual, nothing is simple with me. I have two answers to this question that are totally opposite of each other.

I've not really comfortable with most people and I’ve always been pretty socially inept. I wish that weren't the case but it is and I’ve come to accept it. However, I would never do well as a hermit as I also need social interaction with people from time to time to keep me in balance.

So, the first answer is that I very much enjoy time alone just thinking about life. There are times when I don’t want to see or talk to anyone for days. I don’t need to be doing anything specific but usually nature is part of it. I like being in outdoors by myself. I also really like to just sit and watch thunderstorms or snow storms. Both are incredibly peaceful and awe-inspiring and good for me mentally.

I’ve never been a very good cook. I could keep myself alive and that’s about it. About two years ago, I made a commitment to myself that I would learn how to cook and began trying to make stuff. I read a lot and ate a lot of mistakes that weren’t very good. After much practice I had a small dinner party for some close friends. I had been to their homes multiple times for dinner and had wanted to repay their kindness for a long time.

The whole thing was incredibly stressful for me. I felt like I was going to puke for days leading up to the big night. It was a simple dinner but it all turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. My friends are well aware of my social quirks and knew what I was going through. They were all very supportive and helpful.

It has been over a year since that night and I have continued to improve my cooking skills. I’m certainly no Jacques Pepin or Julia Child and never will be but at least I’m not embarrassed by the food I can make anymore.

So, while it took me along time to get there, I also very much enjoy having a small group of friends over for a nice dinner and some good wine.

can i have some complex pleasures? like, 5 years off from work

This is hilarious. I am always "plotting" as to where I would spend my free time, if I could "afford" to do that.

Easy:

1/4 year in Italy by the sea, 1/4 year in Portugal by the ocean, 1/4 year in Uruguay near the beach and 1/4 year in the US near water.

Well hey stace, I hope you're doing well. I have to admit I don't know who Corry is... please enlighten me. I do watch Are You Being Served, it comes on right after Keeping Up Appearances.

I'd love to get into Little Britain USA, but I don't have HBO.

This is hilarious. I am always "plotting" as to where I would spend my free time, if I could "afford" to do that.

Easy:

1/4 year in Italy by the sea, 1/4 year in Portugal by the ocean, 1/4 year in Uruguay near the beach and 1/4 year in the US near water.

GoogleEarth is a simple addiction. We're planning 3 weeks in Brazil in February and GoogleEarth is a blast. For example, we are planning to go to Foz do Iguacu as one of our stops and the BF had a hotel all picked out from a website, but when I 'flew around' on GoogleEarth, I realized to my horror that there was farmland a block from the hotel and downtown was quite a distance, let alone the river, so I gave him a list of hotels based on their GoogleEarth locations. Saved us from disaster. I also realized we'll want to go into Argentina, which made me look up immigration requirements and I was relieved that my Canadian passport gets me into Argentina with no visa; however, Paraguay is also 'across the river' and I can't go there because that would require a visa: I don't want to go there bad enough to spend $48 (U.S., BTW) and the hassle of applying via Ottawa just to go across a bridge for an hour or two.

I love to look up places on GoogleEarth and to plot where I'd like to go in the future.

Edited by CARBIZ

GoogleEarth is a simple addiction. We're planning 3 weeks in Brazil in February and GoogleEarth is a blast. For example, we are planning to go to Foz do Iguacu as one of our stops and the BF had a hotel all picked out from a website, but when I 'flew around' on GoogleEarth, I realized to my horror that there was farmland a block from the hotel and downtown was quite a distance, let alone the river, so I gave him a list of hotels based on their GoogleEarth locations. Saved us from disaster. I also realized we'll want to go into Argentina, which made me look up immigration requirements and I was relieved that my Canadian passport gets me into Argentina with no visa; however, Paraguay is also 'across the river' and I can't go there because that would require a visa: I don't want to go there bad enough to spend $48 (U.S., BTW) and the hassle of applying via Ottawa just to go across a bridge for an hour or two.

I love to look up places on GoogleEarth and to plot where I'd like to go in the future.

You're talking the Iguassu Falls, right? I fitted those in (2 days) in 2003. Impressive, but once is enough.

Stay away from Foz do Iguacu. It is downright dangerous. Stay on the Argentina side in Puerto Iguazu...it'll be sleepy, but there is a small downtown and it's safer. You can day hop it to Brazil ONLY to get their vantage point of the falls, but not to hang out in Foz do Iguacu. Also, skip Paraguay...that's leaves more time for other S.A. places. Uruguay needs NO passport and you should check out Punta del Este. I love that beach town.

You're talking the Iguassu Falls, right? I fitted those in (2 days) in 2003. Impressive, but once is enough.

Stay away from Foz do Iguacu. It is downright dangerous. Stay on the Argentina side in Puerto Iguazu...it'll be sleepy, but there is a small downtown and it's safer. You can day hop it to Brazil ONLY to get their vantage point of the falls, but not to hang out in Foz do Iguacu. Also, skip Paraguay...that's leaves more time for other S.A. places. Uruguay needs NO passport and you should check out Punta del Este. I love that beach town.

I'll keep that under advisement, but I've found that when travelling in Brazil with a native, one gets treated completely differently. Downtown Rio is pretty scary, too, but there's something about the firm rebuff from someone with a Brazilian accent (the BF) that commands respect. 'Gringos' (me), attract attention, but I tan quickly and let the BF do all the talking.

It's one of the reasons I looooove being gay. So many wifey qualities I DON'T like ;)

.... oh, they can come in chaps, as well as skirts. :AH-HA_wink:

So many wifey qualities I DON'T like

The part I don't like is $$$$$$$$$$.

That's what's made the marriage rate plummet. The fact that you will have to pony up $, unless you're careful.

I do this math:

divorce rate = 55%

child support = min. of $ 600 per month per child

avg. # of children = 1.7

Expected Monetary Value (EMV) of monthly child support payment: $ 561

Could you imagine uselessly writing such a check each month....like what, I have money to burn?

Edited by trinacriabob

.... oh, they can come in chaps, as well as skirts. :AH-HA_wink:

True true--but there are other qualities in a guy I like that women rarely possess (not talking about that--get your mind out of the gutter!) ;)

I've not really comfortable with most people and I’ve always been pretty socially inept. I wish that weren't the case but it is and I’ve come to accept it. However, I would never do well as a hermit as I also need social interaction with people from time to time to keep me in balance.

Have you ever taken a personality test? You're probably an introvert and that isn't a bad thing, despite the common image. I actually score as an introvert. I enjoy being by myself, I'm very independent and I too am socially awkward. Believe it or not, I'm EXTREMELY shy until I get to know someone. Like, shy to the point that I won't even make eye contact unless that person speaks to me first. (Hard to believe from my alter ego here, I know) A lot of people think I'm arrogant or an asshole, but although I do feel that I don't really 'need' people, I just really have bad anxiety about meeting people.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is because your use of the word "inept" leads me to believe that it is something you don't like or don't value about yourself. But you should embrace it, because it's what makes you happy.

The whole thing was incredibly stressful for me. I felt like I was going to puke for days leading up to the big night.

:yes:

Anxiety. (I do this as well, except it's usually over a big test or something of that nature)

Lessee...

Road trips

Meeting/visiting with people

Hobbies ... legos, etc.

Writing

Music

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Maybe next year I'll give it to someone...special" ... WHAM! ... 'Last Christmas'

Lessee...

Road trips

Hobbies ... legos, etc.

Wow, I TOTALLY forgot about roadtrips... used to LOVE those. But since everyone is married with children, road trips haven't happened any time in the past few years.

And hobbies... I haven't done anything artistic in years. I used to be quite talented... I wonder if I still have it? ;) Mom is still ticked I didn't go into architecture.

Wow, I TOTALLY forgot about roadtrips... used to LOVE those. But since everyone is married with children, road trips haven't happened any time in the past few years.

You don't "road trip" alone? Or am I missing something? Sorry...it's late ... lol.

I still love to road trip and do so at least once a year ;). I love the "me" time I have while driving ... then my "socialization" time is when I stop to visit family and friends along the way....

And hobbies... I haven't done anything artistic in years. I used to be quite talented... I wonder if I still have it? ;) Mom is still ticked I didn't go into architecture.

You probably still do have that talent ... stuff like that doesn't always go away....

*sighs*

Sadly, I have too many hobbies ... and haven't worked with many of 'em in a long time ... mostly because I don't have time :(.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My world is changing" ... Faith Hill ... 'Where Are You Christmas?'

And hobbies... I haven't done anything artistic in years. I used to be quite talented... I wonder if I still have it? ;)Mom is still ticked I didn't go into architecture.

Point 1: just go by yourself, it can be very cathartic.

Point 2: it's not all roses, in fact it's very difficult work.

I always wished I had gotten a PhD in Italian and Portuguese so I could teach university-level languages. The grass is always greener...

Edited by trinacriabob

Point 1: just go by yourself, it can be very cathartic.

Point 2: it's not all roses, in fact it's very difficult work.

I always wished I had gotten a PhD in Italian and Portuguese so I could teach university-level languages. The grass is always greener...

Well then, as I said the other day, maybe it's time to visit a certain C&G member a few states over.

I'm not sure what I'd even do if I tried architecture, even for kicks, as now everything is done on computer. When I did it, you had your 10 types of pencils, your tools, a bag of eraser powder (forgot what that was called), and your red eyes from that powder getting in them ;)