Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

What simple pleasures do you enjoy?

67 posts in this topic

Now that I'm home for the holidays, my neighbor came over yesterday with a basket full of fresh ripe tomatoes that she brought back from Florida on Friday. Those tomatoes smelled like they do when I pick them out of my garden in July. Yesterday I left my gated community and headed for the Little Italy section of Wilmington and went straight to M. Fierro & Sons to pick up some mozzarella cheese. (Open on Saturdays in December)

Today I had a plate full of sliced tomatoes on a bed of sliced mozzarella cheese sprinkled with a nice balsamic vinegar, it was to die for.

Link to M. Fierro & Sons to see their products, which are excellent and locally made below:

http://www.mfierrocheese.com/history.html

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

There are quite a few things I could list, but for me, the top of the list has to be hanging out with friends and doing the music thing. Nothing makes me happier than when someone grabs a guitar or sits down at a piano and everyone sings the songs they know.

Music has kept me alive many, many, times.

Yesterday I left my gated community and headed for the Little Italy section

Oh, no, here we go again :rolleyes:

Simple pleasure? A hot cup of earl grey tea and doing my reading or other paperwork...preferably NOT at a "chain" location.

Eating chocolate when watching soccer games... Having a nice cup of coffee at a place with a nice view/surroundings...

Many more I can't even recall right now.

Sitting in the warm house on the couch, with a cup of hot cocoa, watching the snow fall, as I did today. There's nothing quite like it.

(watching the cars slide around on the hill is an amusing bonus)

The cold weather has given me the opportunity to play with my song, which is one of the most fun things ever. We play with his cars, his legos, anything else he can find. Its awesome.

Sitting quietly in front of the fireplace in a rocking chair holding my dog and rocking.

Sitting at the computer and replying to the forums as I see fit. Eating junk food( Likely thats why I look the way I do but thats another topic). Playing with different recipes when I am cooking. Playing with my cat.

Sitting in the warm house on the couch, with a cup of hot cocoa, watching the snow fall, as I did today. There's nothing quite like it.

(watching the cars slide around on the hill is an amusing bonus)

Watching the snow fall can be fun. Up in the PNW, where my Mom lives, they don't have the set-up to get rid of the snow and Portland and Seatlle have slowed to a crawl. It's been snowing there for a week and they are expecting another week of the white stuff. The West is atypically cold right now.

Watching Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced BooKAY) on Saturday nights under a blanket in my recliner.

Watching the snow fall can be fun. Up in the PNW, where my Mom lives, they don't have the set-up to get rid of the snow and Portland and Seatlle have slowed to a crawl. It's been snowing there for a week and they are expecting another week of the white stuff. The West is atypically cold right now.

There's something mystical about the way snowflakes gently coast through the air and to the ground. I enjoy watching the height of snow storms because it shows the awesome power of nature in a display that's beautiful, then watching the gentle flurries dancing in the air after the storm. It reminds me why I like winter so much.

We've had 2 snow storms in 3 days, I'm quite enjoying it.

It also helps to have a snowblower so cleanup doesn't suck so much.

*Off the top of my head*

Here at the APT:

Messing with and maintaining my plants. You could say I've brought the outdoors in with me as I have usually 25-30 plants in the apartment at all times. (They range in size from about 6 inches tall to about 11 feet tall)

Playing with our dogs or taking them to play with other dogs. They really are our kids and they're spoiled accordingly. :D (Since I'll by choice, never have kids, I kind of get that connection from them. And as an added bonus, they're smart enough to know not to sh*t themselves)

Cleaning. I'm a fanatical neat freak and since our apartment is historic and we love to 'entertain' I take pride in keeping it extremely clean (Seriously, I have hobby brushes to touch up the paint 'on the corners' once a week)

Hanging out at the bar I work at. The neighborhood is very close nit and it serves as a sort of 'community center'.

Photography. Charlotte was virtually bankrupted by the death of the textile industry in the 70s and 80s. And even though they almost seem to enjoy demolishing historic or old buildings for the sake of progress, the 'downtown area' surrounding center city (uptown -- where all the banks are headquartered) still contains TONS of old structures and cool industrial stuff. So I've attempted to become a sort of amateur photographer. I'm not that good, but I have landed some cool shots.

Car shows. This area is NASCAR country and not surprisingly, there is a HUGE classic car culture here. I can usually hit at least one show each day of the week in the summer (If I wanted to)

At home: (Where I grew up)

Working on my cars (this is where my fanatical side comes out at home) and being out in nature. I'm outside as much as possible when the weather is nice. Either working on my cars, working in the yard, exploring the mountains or going to car shows. Anything, so long as I don't have to sit indoors.

Having heavy metal listening sessions/movie sessions. A friend and I actually plan times to just goof off and listen to new metal, watch new movies and discuss them. It's hella fun.

Camping and scenic rides. When I was younger, my family traveled a lot on weekends and holidays. Conventions, camping trips, day trips to explore the scenery. Always fun.

Hanging out with family and friends. Cook outs, parties, bon fires, you name it.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

well playing guitar hero, reading a book, taking deep breaths, talking to people, working on things to help settle my differences with others, taking a shower, walking, and watching television.

FOG, I would never have guessed you were a fanatical neat freak! :lol:

I have a Husky, so cleaning is mandatory to keep the Health Board out of our place!

I like to harass my pussy (okay, okay, that was far too leading): our 6 month old kitten. She is very bright and it's fun to watch her dive-bomb and attack the dog. With encouragement, of course.

Lately, I've decided to scan all my old photos - and I have thousands of them. My scanner is doing a great job and I am pleased with the results. I am looking forward to throwing out all my old albums (after the appropriate full back up, of course!) This has turned out to be a therapeutic waltz down memory lane, although at times it is more like a trip through the House of Horrors. As some of you might imagine, along with keeping a detailed journal for the better part of 30 years, I also have detailed notes on the back of all my photos. It is interesting the details one forgets about events that happened 10 or 20 years ago. Anywayk, it's a time consuming job, but transcribing the notes onto the computer is interesting, and it has the added benefit of keeping me off the street.

Oh, no, here we go again :rolleyes:

Simple pleasure? A hot cup of earl grey tea and doing my reading or other paperwork...preferably NOT at a "chain" location.

Me too! And I hate chain resteraunts also.

Chris

There are other things to do with my time than have sex?

I enjoy sex...but I enjoy just spending time with my wife and children also.

Chris

In the summer, getting into an ice-cold bed from the a/c under the covers, and feelin' all snuggly.

In the winter, getting into the ice-cold bed from the cool apartment, and feelin' all snuggly.

Having Kelly flop on her back and lift her paws for the most intense belly-scratchin' she could imagine.

A large cup of warm tea on a cold night.

Drinking tea or cocoa with the Christmas tree lit and the snow falling outside.

A really good horror movie on tv late at night and nothing to do the next morning.

Walking through the door and having a kid charging at you with a huge smile on her face, hands in the air, screaming, "Uncoo Paweeeee!" and hugging her as tight as you can.

I enjoy sex...but I enjoy just spending time with my wife and children also.

Chris

If it weren't for sex, you wouldn't have a wife or children. In fact, you wouldn't exist. Therefore sex > everything.

:smilewide: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But speaking of kids, mine will eat asparagus without any protest, but refuses to eat a hamburger.

If it weren't for sex, you wouldn't have a wife or children. In fact, you wouldn't exist. Therefore sex > everything.

:smilewide: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But speaking of kids, mine will eat asparagus without any protest, but refuses to eat a hamburger.

I can top that. Niece refused to eat pizza. Ate a raw onion.

Good, he'll be healthy.

sounds funny, but i honestly don't know how to answer that question. i've completely lost touch with anything regarding 'simple pleasures'.

can i have some complex pleasures? like, 5 years off from work, half a mill in the bank, 5 new cars, and the ability to just donate my time to help people who actually need help?

sounds funny, but i honestly don't know how to answer that question. i've completely lost touch with anything regarding 'simple pleasures'.

can i have some complex pleasures? like, 5 years off from work, half a mill in the bank, 5 new cars, and the ability to just donate my time to help people who actually need help?

That could be good....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0