Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcat

Shanghai 2009: Buick MPV Business Concept

61 posts in this topic

buick-business-concept-580_opt.jpg

General Motors has unveiled its new Buick "Business" MPV concept in Shanghai, and while details remain scarce as we try to practice our Chinese, we can tell you that while the idea of another Buick minivan may be hard for U.S. audiences to swallow (after the poor sales and driving experience of the Terraza), Buick MPVs do a very solid trade in China as executive transports. Thus, instead of prioritizing sippy cup storage, this is clearly more of a high-roofed luxury limousine.

Our compatriots over at Autoblog Chinese (who bring you these images) tell us that this vehicle is the result of a joint-venture between General Motors China and the Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center, as was the 2007 Rivera concept before it. If our Google translator is to be believed, this vehicle is still based on the Buick GL8 (read: Terraza), and the "land-based business class" concept is designed to point the way toward future visions of Buick luxury for customers in the land of the Great Wall.

img_8781.jpg

img_8810.jpg

img_8794.jpg

Autoblog

--

It's from Autocar. Click here

A little chunky looking, at least from this first picture.

Better!

Edited by Dodgefan

The success of such a van here, would depend on the inside, safety, and reliability more than anything else. Maybe this is an opening for GM to introduce a minivan to the US again, which could prove to be popular with gas mileage standards and needs.

Looks like they got the sweepspear backwards. Still, a much more cohesive effort than the Terraza.

Well if this is what is in store for Buick in the US, I am okay with it. And just maybe I could be seen drivng one someday. I really like it and if priced right this thing could be a huge sucess world-wide. Start slightly under 30K and loaded for 40K. I am starting to see the vision for Buick and with a nice performance Pontiac line and GMC they actually would have a pretty strong showroom all together. I hope they bring it to the US. That is one van I would consider, with a 2.8L DOHC Turbo V6 it actually might be fun to drive. Hell even the 2.4L DI Turbo 4 would be nice. So what do you think will power this puppy if she is sold? Either way I like it alot, I never thought I'd say that about a MINIVAN. Give us the G8 the Safari verison and you have a world class performance wagon, van and SUV all in the same showroom.

Edited by gm4life

I like everything but the upside down sweep spear. Didn't Nissan find out the the broken belt line look only appealed to a very small market. It is a nice bold, flowing design, I'll give it that. That's a lot of chrome going from headlight to tail light. Front end, dead on, back, nicely Enclavish. Interior is great, wish I could see it without the reflections. That dash is very reminiscent of the Centieme concept. Not sure what is happening with the tail lights when the gate is lifted. Either the interior opening is very narrow, or the whole light pod lifts with the door.

Edited by InvictaMan

Looks like they got the sweepspear backwards. Still, a much more cohesive effort than the Terraza.

That was my exact reaction as well - in profile, the whole overall shape looks backwards.

But the detailing is outstanding, I especially like the sweepspear trim wrapping the tails.

The dash is also very finely finished and pleasing to the eye.

All over the exterior, detailing is outstanding, but oh, that shape is terrible. Turn the shape 180 degrees, and drop the nose down about 6 inches and they'd have something.

Cire, one thing is for certain, this thing shares nothing visually with the Chevy Disney World.

I think the lesson here is that the tadpole isn't the best inspiration to draw automotive shaping from.

But the quality of the finishing on this concept shows exactly where Buick should be heading.

I must say I'm very impressed. I've never been impressed by a minivan before... If Buick can make even a minivan I like, then I guess they are really important to the GM strategy, but I still think Pontiac and GMC should stick around...

Is this really GL8 based. Um, U-van redux?

Reminds me of something i did in 2002...

i486i41-20020623202013.jpg

Is this really GL8 based. Um, U-van redux?

Reminds me of something i did in 2002...

i486i41-20020623202013.jpg

Wow TED they might have stole your idea. Wow yours is actually very close... Maybe GM should just hire you...

Moved this to the 2009 Shanghai Auto Show section and added some stuff to the initial post wildcat.

Anyway, I echo others sentiments...the detailing is great, but it's very thick and the sweepspear should be the other way.

Already working on a chop. :P

Not what I would envision when I think of Buick, but this is a smart looking MPV. Looks sort of like the Sienna, but much nicer.

I have to say that while I hate MiniVans, I could see this actually selling here very well. It is way better looking than anything that is currently on the market IMO.

Terazza II.

That was my exact reaction as well - in profile, the whole overall shape looks backwards.

But the detailing is outstanding, I especially like the sweepspear trim wrapping the tails.

The dash is also very finely finished and pleasing to the eye.

All over the exterior, detailing is outstanding, but oh, that shape is terrible. Turn the shape 180 degrees, and drop the nose down about 6 inches and they'd have something.

My thoughts exactly...

You can definitely tell this was designed with asian influence (because of the comments above) instead of american. Because the details are great, but the overall design is lackluster.

You may be right, FOG.

I would hope that the design gets some solid revision prior to production - I think it does deserve that.

In other words, it's good enough to be worth perfecting.

it's actually not bad, other than how tall the grill/front is/looks. I have little to truly complain about just from the pics you put on here.

To Ted: it's a Delta II Orlando Derivative

IMO it's ugliness is defined by this really off-message exterior styling... Better than the Orlando but that ain't saying much

Well, the tallness of the front is probably for meeting ped safety regs. The Enclave is pretty tall in the front also. It's a decent looking minivan/MPV/whatever.

I dont hate it, but I dont think it would go over too well in the U.S.

I didn't notice that anyone mentioned that the Buick Business Concept is a hybrid.

See here.

(And is it my imagination or do the tires look bigger in the top photo of the story?)

To Ted: it's a Delta II Orlando Derivative

Right! Its MPV7 derived. So why is Autoblog saying GL8 based? Bad reporting.

The press release probably states that its replacing the GL8 Minivan.

HHWYg80DZqCZQlxQ.v.jpg

Ehh, I don't think this is coming over to the US. Buick in China has very little to do with Buick in the US, apart from having the same English name. US and Chinese consumers have different brand expectations.

This van is definitely catered towards the Asian market. If they make a RHD model, it could compete against black Toyota Alphards, which is what rich people in Hong Kong or Japan ride in:

toyota%20alphard%20black.jpg

This Buick MPV could very well be the first mainland Chinese car to reach the HK or Japanese markets.

Edited by empowah

The kinkspear (which is what I have decided to call this car's beltline) is very similar to that on the Citroën C4 Picasso.

Citroen-C4_Picasso_2007_photo_17.jpg

I'll wait for some less reflective and glaring pictures to say if I like it, but I do like the interior very much.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0