Official 2007 Camry Pics & Details

caddycruiser

Honda and Toyota typically go two generations with largely the same underpinnings. So there may be lots of commonality with the last generation. Toyota did more than enough with the car to ensure that it will remain the best-selling vehicle in the land. More than the looks, I want to know how the car drives. The last one had very sloppy handling.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one has the appearance of a DTS makeover - new front, new rear, same creamy middle. Even if its not the case, it gives it an odd, almost disjointed look. The front looks designed after Euro pedestrian safety standards, which doesn't help it at all. I am glad Toyota decided to chop the height a little as the last Camry was so woeful in the looks department it wasn't even funny. However, I do have to wonder what colorblind press agent decided to photograph a metallic vomit green colored version of the car. Makes it look very, very sickly. I can see this car possibly deserving the best-selling figure the '02-06 model never rightfully earned.

Guest gmrebirth

Well, you have to admit, from the pictures the interior is at the least impressive.

[post="52951"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, the interior at least, even if it's the JDM interior pictured, does seem impressive.

As for exterior styling, I will reserve judgement until Detroit, or seeing the car in person, because it seems each new set of pics make the new Camry look different.

Hmmmm........ I'm disappointed that Toyota didn't stretch a bit further with the exterior design.....but it DOES look good in black. I suppose the "SE" model with bigger wheels and tires will look handsome, if not exciting. The interior, however, is absolutely stunning.....! It's the kind of interior that will look and feel good no matter whether it's the base interior or the upscale, woodgrained XLE. We'll see what materials are like, but Toyota has a nack of making even hard plastics look and feel good....so I'm not too worried. The Impala SS might not even be able to spank the V6 version, however. In the recent comparo with the Avalon, C&D got 0-60 in 6secs flat. If the new Camry is a bit lighter, it might even whack a few tenths off that time.....and really stay neck-and-neck with the V8 Chevy (and Pontiac.) Definitely a nice upgrade to the current Camry.....but you STILL won't find me rushing out to buy one.....and maybe that's its success formula.....they aren't looking to appeal to someone like myself.

Am I the only one that finds the interior unappealing? It looks cheap. None of that silver plastic is any different that anything you'd find in a Mercury, Chrysler, or even a Buick. GM's interiors as of late may have a measure of cheapness but at least the layout and shapes are unoffensive. This car just looks too Asian for it to get my vote.

Am I the only one that finds the interior unappealing?  It looks cheap.  None of that silver plastic is any different that anything you'd find in a Mercury, Chrysler, or even a Buick.

GM's interiors as of late may have a measure of cheapness but at least the layout and shapes are unoffensive.  This car just looks too Asian for it to get my vote.

[post="53142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, that's just you're view, but maybe you've been around WAY to many sub-tupperware GM's and old Chryslers.... :lol:

So no, don't see it. I see very attractive lines and a VERY attractive (can't comment on feel yet, but I think we know what to expect) materials selection.

Just for a random comparison, here's a photo I just saw that caught me off guard, as I hadn't realized how MUCH all the little changes GM made to the Malibu altered its look this year....

Posted Image

Still not a jaw dropper, but WOW, has it ever improved from its first two very ugly duckling days :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

Recipe for a Toyota:

- Two parts Bland powder

- Seven parts status quo

- Three parts organic surfaces
Now blend togeather and beat with a whisk for 30 minutes, pour into muffin pan throw inot oven for 20 min at 250 and Voila'

(remember it has to at least look half baked)

[post="52769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you forgot to add 'one or two extremely arbitrary and confusing character lines randomly on the blocky bloated side slab of the vehicle'

Maybe I am out of touch but if there were a H on the steering wheel for Hyundai it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination. This looks like a cheep Asian interior where the use of orogami reduces the appearance of otherwise low cost materials. The last Avalon and dare I say two generations ago, Camry, were both better in terms of interior build quality in fact... dare I say... better in exterior build quality and materials. My brother-in-law has a brand new Camry and I was appalled at the crappy materials and build quality. I went to replace a rear light for him and low and behold was this nasty rat fur cloth. No access cover for the lamps no... it had rental quality fabric flaps that didn't even cover the holes in the trunk... All of the new Toyota's glitter in pictures but, fail when seen in person. I am no fan of any currently for sale GM interior or for that matter any domestic. But, again... at least the domestics have tradiontal euro/american interiors. (ALL CURRENT INTERIORS NOT DOMESTIC INTERIORS FROM 2003 AND BEFORE) Edited by SingleStylish

oh man, that interior's design and materials look like much better than the STS even. Steadfast improval is the name of the game at Toyota, the interiors in there cars from generation to generation represent marked improvements, think back to Lexus of 2002, and this interior would be better than those. Do you get the same feeling when you think of Malibu and Cadillac? Talk about giving you a luxurious feeling. The wood and center stack and steering wheel, and the nice wood on the rear doors, reminiscent of the M45, all superlative touches, that go to show why Toyota is the middle-class man's upscale car. Toyota will continue to dominate with this wonderful car. The specs are amazing. By the way, don't pass that memo to Toyota about the wheels, the design is one of the few things keeping this automobile from being truly desirable in my eyes..... Let's see if they also figured out how to get the wallow out of the mushy suspension. Since the current gen Camry has better fit and finish than a CTS, I am assuming that this not only represents a significant jump over the current one, but also over most cars. Toyota bringing the big guns to the game.

[post="52918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

but remember, to get the v6 camry equipped with the luscious looking leather interior will likely be 35 grand........only a grand or two off a base STS that is discounted. just a thought. you know these things loaded to gills will have 35k plus stickers.

if you lived in a southern state, you could buy a rear drive lincoln LS v8 as an option to this thing.

yes this camry will be great for its 'class' but i bet there is a huge price jump that will go with it. Edited by regfootball

This new Camry is obviously a mildly reworked version of the 2002-2006 generation. The Impala saw a more dramatic revamp. Toyota's claim to be all-new is weak at best. I garantee 70 percent of the new car is identical to the old if not more.

[post="52968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you think the suspension, breakes, steering, engine bay etc. is all carryover? I bet it is. At least until i read otherwise.

Would this new camry share its wheelbase with the current ES Lexus? If so, there's your answer.

I HARDLY think so, and if you do, I'd like to know what you're smoking.  Maybe a few little bits and pieces, but that's about it.  70% identical to the current one?  You're crazy...

By FAR, the '06 Impala is more old/last gen than anything, as stated by GM engineers and designers themselves.  Furthermore, while it is a pleasant revamp, I hardly think it is "more dramatic", and the car itself is nice, but in a "very nice rental car" kind of way...at least to me still.

[post="52975"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

wow, and this new camry doesn't have rental styling all over the outside of it, either, does it.

Plus there's now the inside shots:

Posted Image

[post="52883"][/post]

It reminds me of the MazdaSpeed 6 here.

Interior looks nice though.

My brother-in-law has a brand new Camry and I was appalled at the crappy materials and build quality. I went to replace a rear light for him and low and behold was this nasty rat fur cloth. No access cover for the lamps no... it had rental quality fabric flaps that didn't even cover the holes in the trunk...

All of the new Toyota's glitter in pictures but, fail when seen in person. I am no fan of any currently for sale GM interior or for that matter any domestic. But, again... at least the domestics have tradiontal euro/american interiors. (ALL CURRENT INTERIORS NOT DOMESTIC INTERIORS FROM 2003 AND BEFORE)

The BEST kept secret in the entire industry there..... My Camry rental WAS NOT at all impressive interior-wise.

The Impala SS might not even be able to spank the V6 version, however.  In the recent comparo with the Avalon, C&D got 0-60 in 6secs flat.  If the new Camry is a bit lighter, it might even whack a few tenths off that time.....and really stay neck-and-neck with the V8 Chevy (and Pontiac.)

[post="53101"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the press will point that out to us numerous times, i am sure. when GM puts a 6 speed with that Impala, it will help regain some advantage.

the press will point that out to us numerous times, i am sure.  when GM puts a 6 speed with that Impala, it will help regain some advantage.

[post="53165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Will the press rave about how the Impy will get better economy and sound better?

It reminds me of the MazdaSpeed 6 here.

[post="53164"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Millenia? Mazda 626?

that dash has some resemblance to the dash layout in my old diamantes, too. derivitive.

c'mon though, we never expected anything original from Toyota. The only reason they designed and built a 268 hp v6 was because Nissan's fabulous v6 established a benchmark and Toyota all of a sudden decided they needed to meet it. they would have never thought up building one like that on their own. Edited by regfootball

Will the press rave about how the Impy will get better economy and sound better?

[post="53166"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

God no, they'll say the Impala is loud and obtrusive compared to the serene quiet cabin of the Camry.

you think the suspension, breakes, steering, engine bay etc. is all carryover?  I bet it is.  At least until i read otherwise.

Would this new camry share its wheelbase with the current ES Lexus?  If so, there's your answer.

[post="53162"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The new Camry does share the same 170.1-inch wheelbase with the current Lexus ES.

I still don't understand what you mean by pointing that out. Sure "everything" may be carryover but you can bet it's been improved. It may not be all-new for a Toyota product but it may be all-new for a Camry.

Millenia?  Mazda 626?

that dash has some resemblance to the dash layout in my old diamantes, too.  derivitive.

c'mon though, we never expected anything original from Toyota.  The only reason they designed and built a 268 hp v6 was because Nissan's fabulous v6 established a benchmark and Toyota all of a sudden decided they needed to meet it.  they would have never thought up building one like that on their own.

[post="53167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:rolleyes:

Its called raising the bar. Nissan wasn't the first one to ever raise it, and Toyota wasn't the first one to ever follow them. Look at the history of cars, that is the way its always been. One company does something, the other company matches it and improves on it, the first company responds again, infinity. Look at Ford, GM, and Chrysler all through the muscle car era. It was exactly the same!

You could say that the Camaro wasn't original either. The only reason Chevy designed it was because Ford came out with the fabulous mustang and established a benchmark. Chevy all of the sudden decided they needed to meet it. They would have never thought up building a Camaro on their own.

:P

You could say that the Camaro wasn't original either. The only reason Chevy designed it was because Ford came out with the fabulous mustang and established a benchmark. Chevy all of the sudden decided they needed to meet it. They would have never thought up building a Camaro on their own.

Hehe... He does have a point... :D

Maybe I am out of touch but if there were a H on the steering wheel for Hyundai it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination.  This looks like a cheep Asian interior where the use of orogami reduces the appearance of otherwise low cost materials.

The last Avalon and dare I say two generations ago, Camry, were both better in terms of interior build quality in fact... dare I say... better in exterior build quality and materials.

My brother-in-law has a brand new Camry and I was appalled at the crappy materials and build quality.  I went to replace a rear light for him and low and behold was this nasty rat fur cloth.  No access cover for the lamps no... it had rental quality fabric flaps that didn't even cover the holes in the trunk...

All of the new Toyota's glitter in pictures but, fail when seen in person.  I am no fan of any currently for sale GM interior or for that matter any domestic.  But, again... at least the domestics have tradiontal euro/american interiors.  (ALL CURRENT INTERIORS NOT DOMESTIC INTERIORS FROM 2003 AND BEFORE)

[post="53157"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly what car in the Camry's class has better build quality? Toyota has been downgrading the materials on the current and previous generation Camry, while raising the quality on the ES's.

You'll notice the exact same thing w/the 4runner. Now that the GX470 is out, the current 4runner's interior sucks.

Honda did the same thing with the current Accord. Family has owned both generations of Accords. And I've had plenty of drive time in both TL's. The old Accord had far better materials, and the new TL blows the previous TL away.

[post="53166"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, the thing is most Camry oriented buyers don't want to hear the engine. And the Impy's fuel economy can't touch the 3.5L 6spd V6 Camry's. Also stupid shifting (4spd) trannies have no place in the current marketplace.

The wheelbase is longer

[post="53322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Based on the Lexus ES specifications on the Lexus website and the current Camry's specifications on the Toyota website added to the stretch mentioned in the article posted in this thread, they are the same.

Exactly what car in the Camry's class has better build quality?  Toyota has been downgrading the materials on the current and previous generation Camry, while raising the quality on the ES's. 

You'll notice the exact same thing w/the 4runner.  Now that the GX470 is out, the current 4runner's interior sucks.

Honda did the same thing with the current Accord.  Family has owned both generations of Accords.  And I've had plenty of drive time in both TL's. The old Accord had far better materials, and the new TL blows the previous TL away.

[post="53325"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

When did Toyota do away with the GX470? That's news to me. My parents own a 2003 4Runner and the interior is easily one of the best in its class. Are you saying the current 4Runner has worse materials than the last gen?

When did Toyota do away with the GX470?  That's news to me.  My parents own a 2003 4Runner and the interior is easily one of the best in its class.  Are you saying the current 4Runner has worse materials than the last gen?

[post="53394"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

By "out", he meant "released".

The new Camry does share the same 170.1-inch wheelbase with the current Lexus ES.

I still don't understand what you mean by pointing that out.  Sure "everything" may be carryover but you can bet it's been improved.  It may not be all-new for a Toyota product but it may be all-new for a Camry.

[post="53283"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

they better have some serious leg room with a 170 inch wheelbase. :blink: :P

I still don't understand what you mean by pointing that out.  Sure "everything" may be carryover but you can bet it's been improved.  It may not be all-new for a Toyota product but it may be all-new for a Camry.

the ES is a stretched last version camry which is why i postulated the question. so likely i'm right, it is a RESKIN, although its a reskin of the ES which is a stretch/reskin of the camry.

its a kevin bacon sort of thing. actually, i bet if you trace all the connections, you can tie Kevin Bacon and the Camry together SOMEHOW

let's see, toyota makes both the camry and the prius, cameron Diaz drives a prius, she was in a movie with Jim Carrey (mask), who was in a movie with Jennifer Aniston (bruce almighty) who was in PICTURE PERFECT with

KEVIN BACON!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by regfootball

Errr, the current V3 A Camry shares it's wheelbase with the current V3 B ES 330 (and the X1 A and X2 A Avalon). If this is a little longer in wheelbase, then it's not so much a carryover as you think. On the other hand it will be no more an update than GM did with successive generations of the W-body (new chassis, longer wheelbase, increased stiffness etc.).

but remember, to get the v6 camry equipped with the luscious looking leather interior will likely be 35 grand........only a grand or two off a base STS that is discounted.  just a thought.  you know these things loaded to gills will have 35k plus stickers.

[post="53158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unlikely......

A loaded XLE V6 Camry with Navigation has an MSRP of $28,485 according to Toyota's website.

I'm sure Toyota won't jack up the price too much on the new model.....so I'd bet you'd still be loaded for around $30K....maybe a bit less.....

Unlikely......

A loaded XLE V6 Camry with Navigation has an MSRP of $28,485 according to Toyota's website.

I'm sure Toyota won't jack up the price too much on the new model.....so I'd bet you'd still be loaded for around $30K....maybe a bit less.....

[post="53767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

that's an 06 camry, buddy. watch those MSRP's go through the roof on the 07's.

Just for a random comparison, here's a photo I just saw that caught me off guard, as I hadn't realized how MUCH all the little changes GM made to the Malibu altered its look this year....

Posted Image

Still not a jaw dropper, but WOW, has it ever improved from its first two very ugly duckling days :AH-HA_wink:

[post="53149"][/post]

I love the look of the current Malibu LT and LTZ models with the new bodyside molding with chrome accent, new grille and new chrome wheels. This looks ever so much sharper than any of Toyotas latest products such as this which to me look so dull in their monotone appearance, no door molding or character line etc and same 'ol Japanese styling cues which are so unoriginal as to be trademark of their brands. I sure hope the next generation Malibu doesn't degenerate into anyting like this. The only things I like are the 268 hp engine and the interior is ok too! I have to try out a car with the 6 speed automatic. That just seems like a lot of gears and shifting going on and adds considerable weight and complexity and cost when these things go out of their 3/36 warranties to repair.

Guest gmrebirth

that's an 06 camry, buddy.  watch those MSRP's go through the roof on the 07's.

[post="53816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unlikely, as the new Avalon did *not* experience any noticeable price change. Edited by gmrebirth

Guest YellowJacket894
The new Camry looks like it has Down's Syndrome. The grille is ugly and the eyes slant to a retarded level. C'mon, Toyota. There's agressive and then there's downright stupid. Beltline is too high, stance is too high, and it has a late '80s feel to it; espically the damn paint. To me, it's one more reason why I'd rather dangle from a noose in October than drive a Camry.

If Cmary were to get a really eye-appealing design, like a Passat, or an Alfa Romeo sedan, this thing would be insurmountable. As it is, the design won't stop people from buying this sophisticated car, Toyota has an image that is unstoppable at this point.