Official 2007 Camry Pics & Details

caddycruiser

Straight from Auto Consumerguide:

Posted Image
Posted Image

America's best-selling car is redesigned for 2007, getting new styling, more power and features, and, for the first time, a gas/electric hybrid model. Camry retains the same overall length as the 2002-2006 version, but adds 2.2 inches to wheelbase and cuts height by nearly an inch. Base-model curb weight is up some 175 lb. New features include standard instead of optional curtain side airbags. The line consists of a price-leader CE trim level, volume LE, sporty SE, and luxury XLE. All come with a 158-hp 2.4-liter 4-cyl engine and a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automtic. LE, SE, and XLE also offer V6 versions with a 268-hp 3.5-liter and a 6-speed automatic transmission. Camry's previous most-powerful V6 had 210 hp and used a 5-speed automatic.

Both '07 automatics include a manual shift gate. The Hybrid teams a special 2.4-liter 4-cyl gas engine with a battery-powered electric motor for 192 net hp. It teams with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) providing near-infinite drive ratios. Like Toyota's smaller Prius hybrid, Camry's automatically drives on either or both power sources, depending on conditions, and requires no plug-in charging. Antilock 4-wheel disc brakes are standard for all models. So are front torso side airbags, head-protecting curtain side airbags, and, for the first time, a driver's knee airbag.

The Hybrid adds antiskid/traction control that's available for other models. SEs come with 17-inch wheels, the other models with 16s. SEs also have a firmer suspension, and specific trim inside and out. The Hybrid also has unique interior and exterior trim. A split folding rear seat is standard except on SE and Hybrid, which have a fixed seat with center pass-through. Leather upholstery is included on the V6 XLE, available for the 4-cyl XLE and the SE. A navigation system with CD changer and wireless cell-phone link is optional for SE and XLE, as are heated seats. A new-to-Camry keyless-entry/starting system is included on Hybrid and available for V6 XLE.

Looks better, I guess (though strangely smaller...), and the powertrains are much improved.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Articles/ind.../act/sneakpeeks Edited by caddycruiser

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a lot of other people have said, it looks like a Mazda, only frumpier.

[post="52653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's pretty much the thought I had when I first saw it. Looks just like they took a Mazda 6 and said "Now, what can we do to make it look a little bulbous and boring, without changing a lot?" Almost like an overfed "fat kid" version of the Mazda... :lol:

Not a bad looking car, but for whatever reason, I think the current gen. looks nicer, more balanced, and even more elegant. Boring, but still a little nicer.

The interior should be very nice though, and the Hybrid model will definately get some extra attention and sales. Edited by caddycruiser

It does look a bit like the TL and a Mazda combined, and it didn't work out too well. It's not exactly ugly, except for the grill, but there's nothing on it that makes me say "wow, this is a Camry?" If GM can give the next-gen Malibu a kick-ass interior and a good line of engines to compete, I think it has a good chance of taking a few sales away if it really is drop-dead gorgeous as the media has been saying.

It's not awful, but it's not as stunning looking as the silver one captured from video that we saw months ago. Those pics got the best angles of it; now that we're seeing it from standard 3/4 angles, the car looks much less aggressive and sporty. And someone needs to give Toyota this memo: they make some of the most generic rims of any automaker. Wheels can do a lot for even a bland car, but Toyota never does anything special with them. IMO, it's bad when your rims look like wheel covers from a distance. Overall, it looks a little better than the last generation, but after all the hype I read at other boards about how great the '07 Camry would be, I don't see much greatness except for the interior. It'll still probably sell like hotcakes though. Edited by mustang84

268hp 6 speed auto Camry with 17 inch rims,  well now I've seen it all.  Needs a new grill, would like to see a black SE model.

[post="52716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah...I can see the 268hp (still getting raved over in the Avalon), a new 6 speed auto, and then an SE model with that plus the typically stiffer suspension, and you're going to have, well, one VERY nice car :AH-HA_wink:

Make that one very nice car, that should get some very positive and even rave reviews when it comes out.

I know a new Altima is coming soon, but when's a full re-do of the Accord due? The practically brand new Fusion should still give this car a run for it's money, especially when Ford gets their new 3.5, AWD, and then the Hybrid options available.

Then there's also the Malibu, G6, and whatever else GM has at any given moment. Wonder what, if any, significant changes are in the upcoming pipeline for these cars?

Well, this isn't good. 6-speed auto w/ a 268-hp V6? That's a tough one to beat. I am a bit disappointed the 2.4L only gained 4 hp... I thought they would have bumped it up a bit more.

Still can't say I'm a fan of the whole knee-airbag--have felt this way since it was standard on the LS430. As a tall driver, my knees hang close to the dash in mid-size cars. Not sure I'd want my kneecaps blown out before they impact the dash LOL

Still can't say I'm a fan of the whole knee-airbag--have felt this way since it was standard on the LS430.  As a tall driver, my knees hang close to the dash in mid-size cars.  Not sure I'd want my kneecaps blown out before they impact the dash LOL

[post="52737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I remember, oddly, that the last (which was also the first) gen Kia Sportage had the driver's knee bag feature. It was very strange, to say the least, since the rest of the "truckelt" was so old and featureless.

Sides look like a melted version of the current Camry. Front looks like the corporate Mazda front, only uglier. The back is he same back they're putting on every new Toyota/Lexus thest days. Anyone want to take a guess at what the next Corolla will look like? <_< Honestly, I wonder how similar this will be in size to the new Avalon. If they're too similar in size, they may have just made the Av irrelevant. In summation, except for what this engine does for the midsized sedan segment, meh.

Recipe for a Toyota: - Two parts Bland powder - Seven parts status quo - Three parts organic surfaces Now blend togeather and beat with a whisk for 30 minutes, pour into muffin pan throw inot oven for 20 min at 250 and Voila' (remember it has to at least look half baked) Edited by Sixty8panther

Sides look like a melted version of the current Camry. Front looks like the corporate Mazda front, only uglier. The back is he same back they're putting on every new Toyota/Lexus thest days. Anyone want to take a guess at what the next Corolla will look like? <_< Honestly, I wonder how similar this will be in size to the new Avalon. If they're too similar in size, they may have just made the Av irrelevant.

In summation, except for what this engine does for the midsized sedan segment, meh.

[post="52764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's the same length as the current Camry, about 1-inch shorter height-wise, longer wheelbase and I'm not sure about the width.

Recipe for a Toyota:

- Two parts Bland powder

- Seven parts status quo

- Three parts organic surfaces
Now blend togeather and beat with a whisk for 30 minutes, pour into muffin pan throw inot oven for 20 min at 250 and Voila'

(remember it has to at least look half baked)

[post="52769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but people seem to crave that recipe.

Sides look like a melted version of the current Camry. Front looks like the corporate Mazda front, only uglier. The back is he same back they're putting on every new Toyota/Lexus thest days. Anyone want to take a guess at what the next Corolla will look like? <_< Honestly, I wonder how similar this will be in size to the new Avalon. If they're too similar in size, they may have just made the Av irrelevant.

In summation, except for what this engine does for the midsized sedan segment, meh.

[post="52764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think that will be much of a concern. Just looking at pics of these two cars, you can easily tell that the Camry is certainly a smaller car. Plus, there won't be a Camry model that's as loaded to the gills as, say, an Avalon Limited is, with Adaptive Cruise, key/fob-less entry, etc.

What you said is spot on about the styling though. Seems like every time Toyota says they're going to have some really interesting designs for once, they make one decent one (like the new Lexus GS) and then try and copy the same mold for a few other cars. None of which are real "shockers".

Then again, Toyota hasn't gotten to the level they're at by shocking people with their cars, at least from styling standpoint, so why risk it now?

Toyota's certainly rubbing it in. Sure, it looks like a bowl of mazda flavored jello on wheels but it certainly is better looking then the Camry and it will sell even better then before. I only hope the malibu is a good as the press said it is going to be.

Worst premiring color ever...pea green.

[post="52796"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you mean premiere (even I just spelled it wrong), then yeah, that's just what I was thinking. I've usually seen the Camry in boring ol' silver. Seems fitting.

Strange how the foggy sneak-images we'd seen much earlier made the car seem more attractive. I'm not interested in how this one looks...made especially worse by that 'who's idea was that?!' color. Edited by ShadowDog

Yeah, but people seem to crave that recipe.

[post="52771"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup... well they still sell store-brand cheap Vanilla Ice Cream too but I'm not about to buy it. I'll pay the extra $0.70 can get French Vanilla Bryers, mint chocolate chip or Cookie Dough.

Yup... well they still sell store-brand cheap Vanilla Ice Cream too but I'm not about to buy it. I'll pay the extra $0.70 can get French Vanilla Bryers, mint chocolate chip or Cookie Dough.

[post="52811"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Is the exciting Malibu worth that extra $0.70? :rolleyes:

Plus there's now the inside shots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="52883"][/post]

The interior and drivetrain of a car are my two top selling points... exterior comes third. Only because, I drive the car, therefore I want to enjoy it's ride, pickup, etc., and I sit in the car, therefore the interior is very important to me. The Malibu and G6 interiors are junk in my opinion compared to this. And the Impala, although the refresh is MUCH better than the previous interior, still is not equal to the Camry shots we're seeing here. However I have not felt the quality of the materials of the new Camry as it is not out yet, I am going to assume it is as previous Camry's were, substantial.

the exterior is proof again that vanilla is America's favorite flavor. i gotta admit, 268hp and six speed. the dash and console look boring but very nice and the center stack is quite nice. the avalon is a duck compared to this thing. the reskinned exterior is fat and bloated and i am sure the media will find some way to praise toyota for its new grille design which seems a bit too derivitive of some of those new Chinese cars i've been seeing pictures posted of.

oh man, that interior's design and materials look like much better than the STS even. Steadfast improval is the name of the game at Toyota, the interiors in there cars from generation to generation represent marked improvements, think back to Lexus of 2002, and this interior would be better than those. Do you get the same feeling when you think of Malibu and Cadillac? Talk about giving you a luxurious feeling. The wood and center stack and steering wheel, and the nice wood on the rear doors, reminiscent of the M45, all superlative touches, that go to show why Toyota is the middle-class man's upscale car. Toyota will continue to dominate with this wonderful car. The specs are amazing. By the way, don't pass that memo to Toyota about the wheels, the design is one of the few things keeping this automobile from being truly desirable in my eyes..... Let's see if they also figured out how to get the wallow out of the mushy suspension. Since the current gen Camry has better fit and finish than a CTS, I am assuming that this not only represents a significant jump over the current one, but also over most cars. Toyota bringing the big guns to the game.

Guest gmrebirth

the exterior is proof again that vanilla is America's favorite flavor.

i gotta admit, 268hp and six speed.  the dash and console look boring but very nice and the center stack is quite nice.  the avalon is a duck compared to this thing.

the reskinned exterior is fat and bloated and i am sure the media will find some way to praise toyota for its new grille design which seems a bit too derivitive of some of those new Chinese cars i've been seeing pictures posted of.

[post="52908"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A duck? what's that supposed to mean?

Guest gmrebirth
Besides, this is hardly a "premiere" when all we have are two small pictures to go by. I've noticed that the car can look bloated or sporty, simply depending on the angle of the photo, which means the car has some complex lines and styling which pictures cannot capture. Some people here *sigh* ... I'll have patience and wait for the ACTUAL premiere in Detroit in January, and THEN judge this car. Edited by gmrebirth

Besides, this is hardly a "premiere" when all we have are two small pictures to go by.

I've noticed that the car can look bloated or sporty, simply depending on the angle of the photo, which means the car has some complex lines and styling which pictures cannot capture.

Some people here *sigh* ...

I'll have patience and wait for the ACTUAL premiere in Detroit in January, and THEN judge this car.

[post="52944"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, you have to admit, from the pictures the interior is at the least impressive.

The interior is obviously the XLE (top-level) trim. I'm curious of what the SE (maybe metallic trim?) and entry-level interiors are like.

[post="52888"][/post]

I will guess there will be plenty of gray plasic and fake silver. I think a very important note; this like the current Camry has only an average interior. It's not over the top, but it is plainly nice. The center stack is a re-hash of the Corolla. Once a regular stereo is stuck in there it will just be a regular toyota interior.

Posted Image Edited by Cremazie

This new Camry is obviously a mildly reworked version of the 2002-2006 generation. The Impala saw a more dramatic revamp. Toyota's claim to be all-new is weak at best. I garantee 70 percent of the new car is identical to the old if not more.

[post="52968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I HARDLY think so, and if you do, I'd like to know what you're smoking. Maybe a few little bits and pieces, but that's about it. 70% identical to the current one? You're crazy...

By FAR, the '06 Impala is more old/last gen than anything, as stated by GM engineers and designers themselves. Furthermore, while it is a pleasant revamp, I hardly think it is "more dramatic", and the car itself is nice, but in a "very nice rental car" kind of way...at least to me still.