'Golden Girls' Causes Homosexuality Claims Religious Writer

I think the writer making the claims may be in denial of his own homosexuality. Seems like a lot of the so called straight males I know who bitch about gay men are the ones you see sneaking a peek at another guys ass while your standing in line waiting to get into a resteraunt.

But how the hell does the religious right think someone is "influenced" or "persuaded" into becoming gay? Kind of interesting, in my 19 year old daughters circle of friends is a 17 year old boy with religious parents who discovered that he was gay. In his exact words "I tried so hard to like girls...but it just didn't work." This kid had a really good looking girlfriend whom he liked, but just not "in that way." Not like this kid is some fat, greasy kid reading his dad's Playboys and deciding to become gay. He had a ready, willing and able girl willing to do whatever he would have asked, and he just wasn't interested.

I really like gay men. Think I'm one of about 7 straight guys on the North American continent that does perhaps. A lot of gay men are really creative or talented or artistic or giving or thoughtful or whatever. Probably NOT politically correct, but I've kind of wondered if being gay opens up part of a mans mind to be open to a whole bunch of different things.

Chris

The mentality of the bible thumping, hardcore religious folks always makes me wonder how it could possibly be that we are all still walking this planet. Their ancient minded, backwards thinking, dim-witted approach to this world should have got us all killed in stupid wars by now.

... but this is about what a show does to make a person gay, so I just say how those God-fearin' folk never cease to amaze me with how much farther back they can take human intelligence. I long for the day they take themselves so far back that I can scare them away with a flashlight.

• Agree 2

The mentality of the bible thumping, hardcore religious folks always makes me wonder how it could possibly be that we are all still walking this planet. Their ancient minded, backwards thinking, dim-witted approach to this world should have got us all killed in stupid wars by now.

... but this is about what a show does to make a person gay, so I just say how those God-fearin' folk never cease to amaze me with how much farther back they can take human intelligence. I long for the day they take themselves so far back that I can scare them away with a flashlight.

That sums it up nicely.

Na, a good chunk of our male friends are straight.

I'm actually glad for that. I'll be happy when our whole nation can get over this whole homophobia thing.

Given the rise of idiots here in the west and fundamentalism in the middle east, give it time. We may well kill ourselves off yet.

Chris

I have to say, I'm Catholic and I try to be devout, but things like this baffle me...Why is it that idiots like this author need to (not trying to sound like an ass here) blame gay people on something? People are people and sexual preference should not be an issue.

• Agree 2

Given the rise of idiots here in the west and fundamentalism in the middle east, give it time. We may well kill ourselves off yet.

Chris

Fundamentalism is the same (ir)regardless of the religion it is based on. All fanatically fundamental followers act and behave similarly be them Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhists. You can mix them together and the message that will come out will be the same. I guess that is why they are called fundamentalists because they thrive to get into the fundamentals of human negative mentality.

• Agree 1

I have to say, I'm Catholic and I try to be devout, but things like this baffle me...Why is it that idiots like this author need to (not trying to sound like an ass here) blame gay people on something? People are people and sexual preference should not be an issue.

I'm of the opinion that there are two types of belief structures within any religion. The first is to take what one will of the written text of your holy book of choice for the simple kindness and love for your fellow friends, neighbors and enemies; the people, such as yourself, I can really respect. The second is of blind faith in the written text and executing it as the laws of humans with absolutely no moment of thought on its validity in society of any time, past, present or future; contradictions be damned, the law is the law... oy!

I seriously question the sanity of those in the latter category.

Edited by ShadowDog

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

+1

I've never understood why some feel they need to tell others how to live, act, and think. There are plenty of good Christians out there who go about their lives humbly, but they are overshadowed by the nasty fundamentalist "do as I say, not as I do" type who truly have forgotten what it means to be a Christian.

Live and let live.

Edited by mustang84

:AH-HA:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by ocnblu

One of my best friends has made a lot of straight people he knows think differently about gay people.

He is a Russian-speaking Ukrainian who spent his University (undergrad and grad) years in Germany. So, he has a strange Russian/Ukrainian/German accent mix that is slowly evolving into plain old Canadian the longer he stays here.

Most people, upon first meeting him, just chalk up any behaviours that are not normal for a straight white Canadian as being caused by the European upbringing. The accent hides any real vocal traces.

He is very open about being gay, but doesn't push it in people's faces either. Eventually somebody will ask a question about a 'girlfriend' or something along those lines and they will find out he is gay. I think this is really the ultimate respect-fostering chain of events. Befriend somebody, then find out they are gay. Does wonders to open up people's minds.

:AH-HA:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Being in the whole construction thing myself, I can say that there are not a whole lot of gay construction workers.

Used to know a guy named Steve who was a hell of a nice guy and Gay. He was a damn fine plumber as well.

Chris

I really like gay men. Think I'm one of about 7 straight guys on the North American continent that does perhaps.

Nah... all of my friends are straight. I only have gay friends online (it just worked out that way since I came out after making very close friends in college). My friends, their friends, husbands, boyfriends, fiancees, etc, no one has a problem with me being gay... except my parents.

Being in the whole construction thing myself, I can say that there are not a whole lot of gay construction workers.

Used to know a guy named Steve who was a hell of a nice guy and Gay. He was a damn fine plumber as well.

Chris

you'd be surprised....

"He was a damn fine plumber as well."

I'm sure he was.

Personally, I melt for a man in Carhartt, and they were out in droves yesterday.:lol:

you know what got me angry a couple weeks ago? i was shopping Carhartt threads and I became dismayed because I didn't realize they were making so much of their stuff outside the US? WUWT? I thought Carhartt made everything here?

If Golden Girls makes you go homosexual, then wouldn't just about every senior aged man (and woman I guess)...all our grandparents etc....in this country.....wouldn't they have all gone gay by now? Grandpas come out the closet!

Personally, I would think Murder she wrote and Angela Lansbury might have a stronger chance of turning one gay than Golden Girls....but whatever.

That police chief on the Mayberry show, he had to be gay, I always thought. He lived with a lesbian aunt Bee. Yup TV will do that to you.

I didn't watch the Golden Girls until well after I came out... and I came out when I was 21. I think I started the Golden Girls around age of 25. Now, I watch them every day for a good smile before I go to sleep. Some of the things Sofia says and gestures literally are a picture of my grandmother when she was alive. Although the actress' accent is horrendous ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PooEhBxh0NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PooEhBxh0NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PooEhBxh0NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Agree 1

This line in the article cracked me up.."It gave them an excuse to wear tight jeans and to sneak off to public parks for quick releases with hairy men of different ethnicities... "

LOL!

I think I've only had one male friend over the years that was an out gay guy...though I've had a number of lesbian friends, incl. one girlfiend in college that was bi.

• Agree 2

I f@#king KNEW it! It's all a part of the gay conspiracy to destroy this country!

Also: when two dudes are making out, they're not really making out but rather pounding out Morse code on each other's tongues about how they're planning to kill all of us straight folk. Think about it.

So a bunch of people who believe that there's a magical old man that lives in the sky with all of their dead relatives believe that Teletubbies makes kids gay, Will & Grace makes middle-aged people gay, and now the Golden Girls have made all of our grandparents gay. The television is in fact just a homosexual mind control device and nobody's safe. How can these retards even pretend to think that someone will even consider taking them seriously?

• Agree 3

I f@#king KNEW it! It's all a part of the gay conspiracy to destroy this country!

Also: when two dudes are making out, they're not really making out but rather pounding out Morse code on each other's tongues about how they're planning to kill all of us straight folk. Think about it.

So a bunch of people who believe that there's a magical old man that lives in the sky with all of their dead relatives believe that Teletubbies makes kids gay, Will & Grace makes middle-aged people gay, and now the Golden Girls have made all of our grandparents gay. The television is in fact just a homosexual mind control device and nobody's safe. How can these retards even pretend to think that someone will even consider taking them seriously?

BWAHAHAHA...I knew tv was evil...

I agree w/ you though...I don't understand how people can believe this bull&#036;h&#33;

Have known & been friends with a number of gays (having been in the art field for years; not so since being in construction, tho). Even have an openly gay family member. I have no problem with people living their own lifestyles, but as I don't push my issues on others, I'd thank others not to push their issues on me. And I'd especially thank others not to disparage me for not taking up their issues when I have no stake in them or plain choose not to. If I can respect your choices, you should respect mine... or you WILL lose mine.

Co-exist, bring civility, respect privacy, value individuality.

Most of the rest should follow.

• Agree 2

Because the grand majority of humans are stupid.

Unfortunately that's the truth...

Have known & been friends with a number of gays (having been in the art field for years; not so since being in construction, tho). Even have an openly gay family member. I have no problem with people living their own lifestyles, but as I don't push my issues on others, I'd thank others not to push their issues on me. And I'd especially thank others not to disparage me for not taking up their issues when I have no stake in them or plain choose not to. If I can respect your choices, you should respect mine... or you WILL lose mine.

Co-exist, bring civility, respect privacy, value individuality.

Most of the rest should follow.

I agree whole heartedly with your statement and can relate to the situation with a few gay friends as well as a couple family members.

It's odd that no one mentioned Queer As Folk turning people gay ;)

I do wonder why Golden Girls was picked, compared to Queer as Folk or The L-Word.

I think I've only seen a couple episodes of GG years ago, don't recall any characters as necessarily gay, some older women living together in the Miami area?

Interesting olds...as the father of two boys myself...I can tell you that the younger is much more "feminine" than the older. kind of always wondered why...that video had a neat logical explanation.

Not aying my younger son is gay, he is only 11...but you never know.

Chris

Ugh. The few episodes of Queer As Folk that I watched made me want to give up being gay.

I wish more people knew what most of the gay people here in Columbus are like. most of them a re rather normal people and nothing like the people on queer as folk.

Then again, I know lots of twentysomething females that are nothing like "The Girls Next Door"

Chris