Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Geneva Buzz: Dodge Resurrects Hornet Name for Its

45 posts in this topic

Geneva Buzz: Dodge Resurrects Hornet Name for Its New B-Segment Concept

Date posted: 02-15-2006

GENEVA — The new front-drive Dodge Hornet concept, a small car powered by a 1.6-liter OHC supercharged four-cylinder engine that cranks out 170 horsepower, is a preview of how the Detroit automaker plans to woo the European market as it expands its global reach. The car will make its debut at the Geneva Motor Show later this month.

In a statement, Dodge describes the chunky-looking Hornet as a combination of "European sensibility" and "American flair."

Chrysler spokesman Sam Locricchio told Inside Line that the Hornet is built on a "totally unique platform — not based on anything we have." He said the Hornet is as wide as a C-segment car such as the Dodge Caliber, but noted that the Hornet is not based on the Caliber.

Locricchio said the Hornet's European reveal is significant because it "shows we're not bringing over a bunch of [Dodge Ram] Mega Cabs just because they are Dodge."

The Hornet concept is characterized by a signature Dodge crossbar grille set above an exposed engine intercooler flanked by front brake air ducts and foglamps. A recessed scoop on the driver side funnels air to the engine air box.

The Hornet is outfitted with 19-inch open-section aluminum wheels designed to show off its mechanicals, including gold-colored brake calipers. The B-pillar-less Hornet is said to be inspired "by the look of fashion sunglasses," Dodge said. All glass in the vehicle, including the sunroof, is rendered in a deep blue tint that contrasts with the car's Liquid Silver exterior.

The 170-hp, supercharged, four-cylinder engine makes 165 pound-feet of torque and is mated to a six-speed manual transmission.

Inside, the Hornet puts a premium on flexibility. Both the passenger front bucket seat and the three-passenger rear seats fold forward and collapse to the floor to provide a flat load bed. The rear seats flip rearward to stow in back, flush with the liftgate sill. The modular instrument panel is designed to accommodate both left- and right-hand drive.

What this means to you: Dodge shows its hands with a spunky B-segment entry which is designed to play well in Europe as well as the States.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109320

I want to like this... I really do, considering it's competition. But damn... So many mixed styling cues and weird details. Common from DCX. They're really trying too hard, but off with everything they try. I like the company... but not the crap they're putting out. Such Irony considering there are companies I hate, but are putting out nice products. *sigh*

It's a shame the Caliber didn't use this design language.

Stating that Dodge will 'resurrect the Hornet name' expressly inplies there was once a 'Dodge Hornet' vehicle.

These ultra-chopped-down vehicles just don't appeal to me.

The people at Toyota / Scion must be crapping themselves. This vehicle looks freakin awesome!

Dodge needs to build it if it wants to be legitimate player in Europe and even the US.

That's one badass little Rammer. Dodge Hornet, eh? Brilliant! That's the way to get people into a gas saving, smaller vehicle...MAKE IT COOL! This makes an Aveo look totally pathetic.

I like it-I'd personally rather like to see something Chargeresque, but I was expecting a boxier variant like this, and this looks sharp and much better than anything else in the class, Aveo and Accent included.

Chrysler spokesman Sam Locricchio told Inside Line that the Hornet is built on a "totally unique platform — not based on anything we have." He said the Hornet is as wide as a C-segment car such as the Dodge Caliber, but noted that the Hornet is not based on the Caliber.

Is this the vehicle built off the VW Polo platform??

Definitely resembles the Nitro and Calibre in the front...interesting little car.. a production version could do well..very modern looking.

As a concept it may not be built off anything. Don't forget DCX already has the B-segment smart forfour built off the joint-project Z-car platform, the Polo platform isn't any more modern.

being serious, some of the interior could be good/interesting, however you take that, but it looks like a mini on some dodge seroids, though at first i thought --xA? but it does look better than scions