ToniCipriani

Which name do you prefer?

Which name would you prefer?   90 members have voted

1. 1. Which name would you prefer?

• G6
    • Tempest
    • Grand Am
    • Phoenix

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 posts in this topic

This should be in the Pontiac forum, but since there's more traffic here I'll make it here. If admins think so, I'm OK to move it. OK, if you were to choose a name to for the G6, same car, what name would you choose? I took some names that would mostly related to a Pontiac compact car.

Not enough choices for names...where's Strato Cheif, LeMans, Banshee, Chieftan, Silver Streak, Catalina?....

Some of those I thought it over: Catalina - Full size, more closer replacement for Bonneville Banshee - I'd go for that name for a Corvette-type sports car Le Mans - I think I did miss this one, but it's too related to Pontiwoo Silver Streak - When was that, 1938?

Fiero?

[post="6918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A cat is dying again :P Fiero should NEVER go on cars with a front engine.

I bet BV went for Grand Am, because he has one.

I like Tempest, since it goes nicely with other names like Torrent, Solstice. Although as I mentioned before it's polluted up here in Canada as a rebadged Corsica. Edited by ToniCipriani

See, I had to choose between Grand Am and Phoenix. I figured Phoenix would be a change, and the legend behind the "fire" always makes me think of the red gauges inside Pontiacs.

Call it what it is--a Grand Am. The Tempest should be saved for a more interesting RWD vechicle.

I chose Tempest (or LeMans) with regards to being a mid-sized car... But if it were compact, I'd go with Phoenix.

i say grand am, i think that in referrence to the gen. that BV has, its a perfect grand am, great size, similair engines available, moderate looks, aggressive facia

Maybe the Grand thing is over and there are so many. Grand Caravan, Grand Prix, Grand Am, Grand Cherokee, Grandpapa, Grand Vitara, Grandma, Grand Carnival(new Kia)...it's been done to death. Maybe just call it a Pontiac Arrow....you know the Pontiac emblem is an arrow........

No, the Grand theme is perfectly fine... It's not Pontiac's fault all these other automakers have used it after them. It's not about the Grand theme, though. It is the racing theme. Grand Am, Grand Prix, Bonneville, LeMans, Trans Am.... All racing inspired. And yes, I know the Pontiac emblem is an arrowhead. But, Pontiac Arrow sounds retarded.

As for the other names... They don't belong on this car. It's a Grand Am. It's obvious. That's the only name it should have other than the crappy alphanumeric.

Grand Am. The new naming scheme was obviously a result of good ol' rectum spelunking as G6 has no relevance to anything and is especially redundant as G6 V6.

Call it what it is--a Grand Am.  The Tempest should be saved for a more interesting RWD vechicle.

[post="6934"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thats what I was thinking. I like the Tempest name the most, but wouldnt waste it on that car.

Call me retarded but from now on, I'm calling the G6 the
Pontiac Arrow GT-6. Saab has Aero, now Pontiac has Arrow. It's only fair.

Posted Image

Of those listed, I like Tempest the best. Sounds powerful and dangerous. On the downside, it isn't exactly PC to talk about tempests right now.

G6 is a soulless alphanumeric, and we've been over that a million times.

Grand Am has always just sounded like a stupid name to me, for two reasons: 1: Pontiac has another car called the Grand Prix, and it often causes confusion. 2: There's no way to say "Grand Am" without it sounding like you said "Damn".

Phoenix would make a lot of people remember the original Phoenix... not a good thing. It'd be a great name, if only it hadn't been tarnished.

Well honestly GM brought the current G6 to win customers back from the Japanese manufacturers, namely Toyota and Honda. I doubt this crowd know jack about Pontiac's history, or would really care about it. Don't forget we're enthusiasts here, so we have a slight difference compared to the general public. The name Grand Am is recent and is almost synonym to problems (no offense, BV, but this is what the service tech told me when I took my car to service at a Pontiac dealer last time. That's what I hear from a lot of people as well). One of my friend says he won't even consider the G6 if it was called Grand Am. He's lived a mostly a Honda life. Edited by ToniCipriani

I like Grand Am & G6 equally. I am fine with G6 if NO MORE ALPHA-NUMERICS FOLLOW. Phoenix recalls iffy Pontiacs in my memory, and I agree with whomever said 'save Tempest for something with more bite'.

Out of the listed names I chose Phoenix because of it's story (the actual story in mythology), it's relation to the Firebird and it's overall cool and 'new' sound. Other names I would suggest: REV Le Mans (Maybe) I dunno....I think Grand Am does kinda have a negative connotation with it (Although I always liked the Grand Am) LOL, maybe GSX type 6. Then the media would've loved it, hell we could even flip the Pontiac arrowhead upside down so it looks more like the "awesome" and "snazzy" and "cool" (sarcasm) yet mundane "A" that adorns all Car and Driver pay check writers...er... I mean Acuras

I picked none of the above-Grand Am evokes bad car to me, G6 I'd like to ditch, Tempest leave for a mid-size, and Phoenix says to me forgettable car, I'd pick the one-time Can Am, which of course was a limited-edition, special-edition 1977 LeMans Sport Coupe.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0