Camino LS6

The post rating system

116 posts in this topic

Do you use it?

Do you like it?

I don't, and I don't.

I think it robs some discussions of a bit of civility, makes things combative, and so on.

I like it, use it when appropriate to mark up or down posts. It helps to highlight high/low points of a thread. But I keep running into a limit that I can use per day + or -.

I like it, it lets you sort the thread from highest ranked to lowest, so you can skip the nonsensical posts if you don't feel like filtering through them. Especially handy in the Politics section.

I'll use it every now and then, but I think its a redundant feature. I can just as easilly ignore a post or combat it with a response, if need be.

No and no.

I've never used it and I couldn't care less about it. It's just another method of encouraging homogeny and mediocrity.

i.e. Don't say anything 'out of line' or weird, because people might not read your post.

I don't like it. It's a way for immature cowards to hit and run with no consequence. This is a DISCUSSION forum.

Everybody above me gets a free +1

Go find the Cadillac ULC thread and you'll see why its worthwhile. The posts that actually discuss the car are the ones with 0's while the worthless repetitive crap has -1s and the arguments against the repetitive crap have +1s.

Also, the mobile site doesn't display the ratings, so its kinda fun to try and guess how many negatives a post has. I imagine that by this evening this one will be -2.

^ actually, in the 'LA show / ULC' thread, you posted this repetitive crap:

Unless its a Cadillac Hyundai Sonata turbo, it'll be a hideous failure.

And you have a +3, so your theory is shot.

I use it when I think that someone is making a very good point, or being an idiot. I don't care whether or not I agree with the person, my personal ratings have more to do with whether the person is making C+G a better or worse place with that particular post.

Thankfully, the ratings system no longer has to do with individual reputation, like it first did. If that were still the case, I think we would have done away with the entire system by now.

Satty is right about one thing for the most part: there is a lot of complaining that detracts from any intelligent discussion that takes place around here. Intelligent and high quality discussions are part of this site's main M.O. and when all threads are high in good content, there is a chance we can attract new regulars.

When we're all sitting around bashing a new car because it doesn't get the gas mileage of a frigging Sonata and because it doesn't have windows for the a, b, and c pillars that roll down, threads begin to look immature as does the entire community.

I can see a way to reform the idea: merge the report and ratings system into one tidy clusterfuck. Posts below a threshold of minus five are earmarked for deletion. When a member ranks a post down in this fashion, they have to leave a small note saying why they ranked the post down. Anyone who leaves a reason saying, in essence, that they're butthurt that such-and-such doesn't agree that the Cadillac ULC is a POS automatically makes their vote invalid.

camino, i agree and i pretty much ignore it. i do post up or down sometimes. but as mentioned above....those casting stones about certain posts are just as guilty posting useless divisive 'satirical' drivel as others.

I'm pretty sure the rating system does nothing but distill a common mindset.

Then again, the same group that ruined pretty much all discussion here has pretty much targeted and eliminated participation by all of the unique posters. (Balthazar and Camino have managed to somehow hang on, but that's about it)

Im gonna be honest; I rarely visit any forum here besides the Lounge because it's just not worth my time to read posts by people who can't seem to progress past the 'YouTube mook' phase of internet maturity.

FOG, the whole point of C&G is to come here and argue about the things we love the most. The whole point is to disagree.

How interesting would C&G be if every post was "THE CAMARO ROXZORS@!!11!"

+1

+1

+1

+1

FOG, the whole point of C&G is to come here and argue about the things we love the most. The whole point is to disagree.

How interesting would C&G be if every post was "THE CAMARO ROXZORS@!!11!"

+1

+1

+1

+1

- 1 :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead