2011 Chrysler 300 reviews

regfootball

Yes, DF, that picture makes me really like the car as well. I have to admit they really did a great job with it.

The RWD proportion with the extra long hood really makes it stand out as a signature trait of a luxury car.

I sorta wonder who would consider a regular CTS over this? I realize the CTS is smaller, but from a functional and luxury standpoint, and even from a dynamic one, wouldn't it be tough to argue for the CTS? Unless the Chrysler ends up being more pricey.....

I think what i really dig on the car is the rear sculpting on the back face of the trunk and bumper. Haven't really seen that before.

Art and Science needs an update, at least it seems too simplistic compared to some of the subtlety here.

Edited by regfootball

Chrysler's making strides. I like. :)

Too bad they didn't get any interior shots though... that's the biggest gripe that many had with the previous car.

The interior is a complete head and shoulders above the previous one. I hated the interior on the first generation LX cars. The new one is nice enough that I'd actually consider buying one.

this is what is missing in cars today

I don't know what you're talking about.

33141180058_large.jpg

IIRC the LH cars had more backseat room.

Also I find its lightly disturbing that you would get "wood" from rear seat space, a place you wouldn't even spend much time in if you owned the car. But whatever gets you off I guess. :P

you can do a lot of things in the backseat of a car. Why do you suppose I enjoyed that old Buick Electra........not any more as I am old now. Enjoy that intrepid back seat while you have it and the opportunity to do so.

If you own the car sometimes you end up in the backseat. At a minimum you often take adult coworkers to lunch and you don't want to make them uncomfortable. It's polite to not make them get in something that is uncomfortable. Especially in a luxury car.

Another time is if you have your parents with. Your SO might be drving with one of your parents in the front, and two adults are in the back.

Or two adult couples double dinner date. Going out on the town, spending dough, good times, who wants a cramped ride? It ruins the night.

Edited by regfootball

I'm almost never in the backseat because I enjoy driving my car, and I don't really care if people in the back suffer, they can walk. ;)

However on the rare occasion that I do sit back there it is a nice place to be. I have acres of room even with the front seat all the way back and I'm 6'1". Like I said, rear seat room is nothing new in big cars.

I love this car too, and would consider one. Liked the 1st gen LX cars, but they had their foibles. They're a bit bigger, of course, but in a sport model, etc. quite nice. Not the dynamics of my ex G8 GT, which I'll always compare vehicles too, but not meant to be--though I think a Charger RT Track/etc. would get close.

Second gen are truly fantastic, with the exception of the old MB 5-speed trans that's durable but certainly doesn't help performance. Just like the reviews say, I'd wait until the 8-spd arrives, to judge. Hopefully comes soon.

Great quality, great looks, great space, terrific performance especially now with just the new V6, AWD optional, all the latest tech, etc. Heck, after seeing a few, I'd try a new Chrysler just because of their Garmin Nav software :AH-HA:

Hope to drive one before long.

Edited by caddycruiser

It looks so much like the old car, just rounded off in places and with more modern headlights. I think I like the old look better, but it is now a bit dated. The interior is improved, but still has fake wood and a lot of plastic. There are many better interiors in that price range, the Genesis being one of them.

118 mph top speed is weak, it is almost as if they are saying the car is not stable enough to handle higher speeds, so we limited it. 5-speed from 10 years ago, cheap Garmin Nav, it is typical Detroit cost cutting. And why is AWD, 8-speed, and all the other good stuff coming in the future, but not ready yet. Why put the car on the market if it is so compromised. A smart company would get it right the first time. But then again, Chrysler (and their buddies at Fiat) are not smart.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

118 mph top speed is weak, it is almost as if they are saying the car is not stable enough to handle higher speeds, so we limited it. 5-speed from 10 years ago, cheap Garmin Nav, it is typical Detroit cost cutting. And why is AWD, 8-speed, and all the other good stuff coming in the future, but not ready yet. Why put the car on the market if it is so compromised. A smart company would get it right the first time. But then again, Chrysler (and their buddies at Fiat) are not smart.

I'm pretty certain that you're the only person in the Western hemisphere that even cares about the 118mph top speed. If you want to loop the Laguna Seca, then hooray for you, but that's not what this car is for. That's 190 kilometers per hour. Nobody drives that fast.

That navigation unit isn't cheap, seeing as the screen is over eight inches, and it's a Garmin, which are the best units around. Plus, this potentially will make it easy for the end-user to upgrade, as opposed to proprietary systems from other companies.

I'm pretty certain that you're the only person in the Western hemisphere that even cares about the 118mph top speed. If you want to loop the Laguna Seca, then hooray for you, but that's not what this car is for. That's 190 kilometers per hour. Nobody drives that fast.

Last time I hit the speed limiter, during an emergency, I had some a$$hole actually pass me, so people DO drive that fast.

118 mph is one of the speed rating break points, so they set it there because the car came from the factory with T-rated tires. Unfortunately, without a PCM editor, you can't undo that easily, regardless of what high rated tires you later put on. Personally, I'd like to see the limiter put a little higher, or make it easier to remove.

I don't condone driving 120mph on public roads, but during an emergency it happens... and its not the best time to find out the speed limiter is there.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Don't like it?

It's fine, but my point is:

> lil' finger-tug door handles? check.

> distinct hood over circular gauges? check.

> 'split T' steering wheel? check.

> encircled NAV area with 2 vertical vents? check.

> horizontal dash lines that curve downward toward the center? check.

Will we ever see unique interior design again ??

Where do you want the Nav? Floating in space?

18-2011-chrysler-300-fd.jpg

2011-Dodge-Charger-interior.jpg

2012_fiat_500_fint_fd_126114_717.jpg

2012_chevrolet_sonic_dsh_11-de-as_106111_717.jpg

2008-honda-civic-hybrid-interior.jpg

112_0809_04z+2009_mini_cooper+interior_view.jpg

800x600_2011_volvo_s60_interior_01.jpg

2011-Volvo-S60-Interior-View-800x565.jpg

DG009_099RM.jpg

honda-insight-interior1.jpg

2010_ford_mustang_interior.jpg

2008-cadillac-cts-interior.jpg

lead12-2011-hyundai-elantra-fd.jpg

Saab9-5interiorCocoa.jpg

I see plenty of unique interior design elements here. They certainly don't look the same.

On a related note, It's so nice to see that the 300C's dash is basically completely different than the Charger's. The Charger's is more distinct but the 300C's looks properly luxurious.

You don't see the same steering wheel concept (3 spokes, split bottom one) in the pics you posted of the Chrysler, the 2 Dodges, the Chevy, the volvo, the saab & the Mustang ?? That's 7 cars from 5 corporations.

How about the downward angling lines of the dash halves: Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, honda, Cadillac, hindend & saab. Maybe it's just my eye that picks out the lines in design- but there's too much commonality, IMO. I find it, not bad, but disappointing.

Well sure there are common themes, but then again...

1963_Studebaker_Lark_Wagonaire_Sliding_Roof_For_Interior_1.jpg

14018d1186273104-1959-chrysler-new-yorker-convertible-16389.jpg

1959-dodge-custom-new-interior.jpg

IA0710-96274_5.jpg?lastmod=071710163855

1950-1959-ford-country-squire-21.jpg

3775562662_9e2cb1511c.jpg

Plenty of commonality there too. 2 spoke wheels with some chrome inner rim or half rim connecting them. Horizontal expanses of dash. Some sort of horizontal trim in the middle of the dash that runs the length. Gauge pod. Etc.

It looks so much like the old car, just rounded off in places and with more modern headlights. I think I like the old look better, but it is now a bit dated. The interior is improved, but still has fake wood and a lot of plastic. There are many better interiors in that price range, the Genesis being one of them.

this is why you get beat on so much here.

Last time I hit the speed limiter, during an emergency, I had some a$hole actually pass me, so people DO drive that fast.

118 mph is one of the speed rating break points, so they set it there because the car came from the factory with T-rated tires. Unfortunately, without a PCM editor, you can't undo that easily, regardless of what high rated tires you later put on. Personally, I'd like to see the limiter put a little higher, or make it easier to remove.

I don't condone driving 120mph on public roads, but during an emergency it happens... and its not the best time to find out the speed limiter is there.

Unless you're in a police cruiser, hitting 120mph in an emergency means you pressed the wrong pedal.

• Agree 1

I sat in a lower level 300 with cloth trim at the Philly auto show. It's not at all the typical cloth you're used to in almost any car. It feels almost as if it is a fleece. I'm not sure how well it will hold up (that's not a knock, I really don't know about durability), but it feels very nice and is definitely a departure from the cloth in other cars.

Where do you want the Nav? Floating in space?

I see plenty of unique interior design elements here. They certainly don't look the same.

On a related note, It's so nice to see that the 300C's dash is basically completely different than the Charger's. The Charger's is more distinct but the 300C's looks properly luxurious.

Lots of interesting dash designs there. One thing I don't like about recent GM designs is how similar they all look wrt the center stack, vertical center vents, 2-3 gauges in a pod, etc..

3 things:

1) the car isn't objectionable. Not really my thing, but still ok

2) I'm going to have to hire an automotive anthropologist to discern the old school interiors DF posted. The modern ones are far more different.

3) a private vehicle going 115+ on public roads is asinine and irresponsible no matter the circumstances.

• Agree 2

118 mph top speed is weak, it is almost as if they are saying the car is not stable enough to handle higher speeds, so we limited it.

It's not a police car..in the US, with the highest speed limits being 75, anything over 85 or so is improbable..

I sat in a lower level 300 with cloth trim at the Philly auto show. It's not at all the typical cloth you're used to in almost any car. It feels almost as if it is a fleece. I'm not sure how well it will hold up (that's not a knock, I really don't know about durability), but it feels very nice and is definitely a departure from the cloth in other cars.

Last week I also sat in a lower trim 300 at the Montreal Auto Show.

I wasn't really blown away by it overall, but it was comfortable, and the materials felt nice to the touch.

The higher optioned 300C was on the turntable, and had the nicer dual tone interior. That would be the one posted in this thread.

Unless you're in a police cruiser, hitting 120mph in an emergency means you pressed the wrong pedal.

Yes, yes. Get off your high horse. I was limited to 116 mph... on the mostly empty major freeway... in the middle of the night.

It was a fairly unique situation... but I had to act to avoid the situation getting tremendously worse. It took the police about 30 minutes to show up. It took me 4.

The rubber on the car was rated at 130. Under the circumstance, I would have probably not gone over 125... but for anyone who ever done it, banging off the speed limiter is a fairly disruptive when you are trying to drive as smooth and controlled as possible.

Oh, and since my sin is up there with mass homicide, I find it awfully strange how many people over the years have asked me about "Why does my car stop accelerating?".. two of them are senior citizens, LOL! Must be Grand Ma Night at NJ Motorsports Park.

Back to the 300, I would think a premium car would come with H-rated rubber and a H-rated speed limiter. Whereas we disagree on the sanity of hitting the 118 limiter, by 130, I am in agreement that there is few places one can even approach that on public roads outside of Montana.

• 8 months later...

Had a silver w/ charcoal cloth interior rental 300 this past weekend...very smooth, quiet and pleasant to drive around the San Jose/Monterey CA area. Had a favorable impression overall (other than I set off the alarm from inside a couple times and it seemed like the seat heater was on, though I don't think it had a seat heater).

this is why you get beat on so much here.

Last time I hit the speed limiter, during an emergency, I had some a$hole actually pass me, so people DO drive that fast.

Or driving a Toyota :neenerneener:

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I'm New, joined this morning and been chicking around the site. I

had a 2009 300c, and from the pictures above, it has not changed much.

It was the only car I owned that did not have any problems the first 15,000 miles.

~Best~

Bill------------------------------------------>

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I like the interior and power trains better but think the exterior took a step down the ladder. The grille looks blander. The side of the car is too plain and every model now looks like the 2005-2010 base stripper but with different wheels as the only difference. i laos wouldn't mind a slightly lower belt line.