2014 Chevrolet Impala -- Another Car GM should Build

8 members have voted

1. 1. The 2014 Impala is a

• Great Idea
    • Horrible Idea

2014 Chevrolet Impala -- another Car GM Should Build

The Chevy Impala is a Front Engined, Rear Drive, 5-passenger sedan built on a long wheelbase Zeta+ Platform. As the Malibu got more compact and takes on an exclusively 4-cylinder engine lineup, the Impala grows to a size and configuration more appropriate for capturing the full size market. The vehicle features laser welded seams, high strength steel and an aluminum hood culminating in a 150 lbs weight reduction over the Pontiac G8 despite its longer wheelbase. Power comes from the updated 3.6 liter DI V6 fortified with a new block featuring a balance shaft for enhanced refinement and cylinder deactivation for enhanced cruise economy. In conjunction with a new 8-speed automatic transmission, low rolling resistance tires and an underbody pan fuel economy ratings of 20 City / 30 mpg are expected -- 3 mpg and 4 mpg better than the Pontiac G8.

Standard Features ($25,950)

• Power Locks / Windows / Mirrors / Steering

• Real Time Tire Pressure Sensor

• Remote Entry / 60-40 folding rear seats

• Acoustic Laminate Front and Rear Windows

• Halogen Projector Headlights and Fog lights

• ABS Brakes / Stability Control / Traction Control

• Electronic Climate Control

• Fabric Upholstery

• 6-way Power Adjustable Bucket Front Seats

• 8-Speaker AM / FM / CD Stereo

• On-Star

• 5-year 100,000 miles warranty

• 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels

• 8-speed Automatic Transmission

• Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max Tires

Premium Equipment Package ($4,950)

• HID Projector Headlights with Amber Fog Lights

• Touch Screen GPS Nav with Back-up Camera

• Rain Sensing Wipers

• Electrochromic Windows and Rear Wind Screen

• Power Rear Sunshade / Power Moonroof

• Power Adjustable Foot Pedals

• Auto-dimming rear/side mirrors

• Magnetorheologic shocks (Comfort / Sport / Auto modes)

• 9-speaker BOSE AM / FM / Satelite Stereo w/iPod Integration

• Genuine Burled Walnut Trim

• Leather Upholstery with 8-way manually adjustable Buckets w/ Seat Heaters

SS Performance Package ($5,950)

• Requires Premium Equipment Package

• 6.2 Liter 5th Generation Small Block V8 engine

• Z55 Sport Suspension

• Genuine Black Ironwood Trim

• Helical Limited Slip Rear Differential

• 6L80 6-speed Automatic Transmission

• 19" Aluminum Alloy Wheels

• Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Body / Chassis

• Configuration: 5-Passenger 4-door Sedan; Front Engine, Rear-Drive

• Curb Weight: 3,800 lbs (SS: 3,835 lbs)

• Construction: Steel unibody with Aluminum hood

• Wheel base: 118.5”

• Length x Width x Height: 197” x 74.8” x 57.8”

• Suspension: Hi-per Struts (Front), 4-Link (Rear)

• Brakes: Single-piston sliding calipers; 12.3” x 1.1” [front], 11.3" x 0.9" [rear] vented disc (SS: 4-piston Brembo Floating Calipers w/ 13.5" x 1.2" vented discs)

• Wheels: Cast or Forged Aluminum Alloy Wheels; 17” x 6.5” (SS: 19 x 8.5 [front], 19 x 9.5" [rear])

• Tires: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max; 225/55 TR17 (SS: Michelin Pilot Super Sport; 245/40 YR19 [front], 275/35 YR19 [rear])

Engine

• RPO Code: LFX (SS: LV1)

• Type: 3.6 liter 60-deg V6 w/ balance shaft (SS: 6.2 Liter Gen V Small Block 90-deg V8)

• Construction: Aluminum Block & Heads

• Valvetrain: Chain Driven DOHC-24v w/ Intake & Exhaust VVT (SS: Pushrod-16V with independent Intake & Exhaust VVT)

• Bore x Stroke: 94 mm x 85.6 mm (SS: 103 mm x 93 mm)

• Displacement: 3564 cc (SS: 6199 cc)

• Compression Ratio: 11.7 : 1 (SS: 12.3:1)

• Aspiration: Normally Aspirated with Cylinder Deactivation

• Direct Gasoline Injection

• 330 bhp @ 6500 rpm (SS: 450 bhp @ 6000 rpm)

• 280 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm (SS: 432 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm)

• Redline @ 6500 rpm / Rev limit @ 7000 rpm (SS: Redline @ 6000 rpm / Rev Limit @ 6200 rpm)

• 87 Octane Recommended (SS: 91 Octane Required)

• Transmissions: Hydramatic 8L50 8-speed Automatic (SS: Hydramatic 6L80 6-speed Automatic)

Performance Estimates

• 0-60 mph: 6.6 secs (SS: 4.5 secs)

• 60-0 mph: 121 ft (SS: 116 ft)

• Skidpad Roadholding: 0.79 G (SS: 0.88 G)

• Fuel Economy: 20 / 30 mpg (SS: 17 / 25 mpg)

Edited by dwightlooi

The problem is, your base Impala offers 148hp MORE standard power than the base LaCrosse, 50hp more than the most powerful engine offered on the LaCrosse, 2 more gears in the tranny, more speakers than the base LaCrosse, and then your premium package offers luxury features not even available on the LaCrosse, is more fuel efficient and is $1,000 cheaper than the LaCrosse.

The problem is, your base Impala offers 148hp MORE standard power than the base LaCrosse, 50hp more than the most powerful engine offered on the LaCrosse, 2 more gears in the tranny, more speakers than the base LaCrosse, and then your premium package offers luxury features not even available on the LaCrosse, is more fuel efficient and is $1,000 cheaper than the LaCrosse.

:yes:

Different markets. Buick is attracting Lexus buyers and this Impala is attracting old school types who value power, interior space and RWD. For this reason, I'd cut a bunch of the luxury features. I think some of the extras Dwight is piling on are just exuberance.

Adding the 50 hp to the non-AWD LaCrosse is going to overwork the Traction Control light.

Edited by SAmadei

Different markets. Buick is attracting Lexus buyers and this Impala is attracting old school types who value power, interior space and RWD. For this reason, I'd cut a bunch of the luxury features. I think some of the extras Dwight is piling on are just exuberance.

Yeah, I think that was pretty much Paolino's point: you'd have to decontent and sell it on the basis of offering interior/trunk space and acceptable RWD punch.

These exercises are pure fantasy, like playing Marry-f@#k-Kill using Emma Stone, Avril Lavigne and Flo from the Progressive commercials, you can talk all you want but its never going to happen.

Nice concept but never an Impala in reality.

I am all for a car like this but it would have to be a Buick or the RWD Zeta based Chevy.

Adding the 50 hp to the non-AWD LaCrosse is going to overwork the Traction Control light.

Yes, but you're talking about a large and heavy "new luxury premium car" getting 182hp standard and the Impala, a Chevy, getting 330hp standard. If the Impala is this nice, why wouldn't it go after Lexus buyers as well? Wouldn't that take Buick buyers away? I'm sure there are Lexus buyers that want power and premium features. It just seems backwards to me. In this example (and don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a nice RWD Impala back), I feel there would be 3 engine choices, and either a smaller V6 or less powerful 3.6 would be standard... with a 6-speed auto. Again... he brings up an 8-speed auto in a base Impala, cheaper than the most-expensive Malibu, and having more gears than any Cadillac... it just seems like it would never happen.

I do think the Impala should switch to rear drive, basically taking the spot the G8 had, but rather than a car imported for Australia, design it here and give it an proper interior. It would give Chevy something similar to the Charger/300 and make it different than a LaCorsse. But if they make this with a 330 hp V6 standard, that is more than not just Buicks, but more than the ATS, CTS, XTS, and SRX. I don't think Cadillac dealers will be too happy if a Chevy Impala has a better engine than any of their sedans.

There is NO REASON a large car segment across GM Divisions needs to have no overlap in HP.

In the heyday that was never an issue, and in fact Chevy got away with the highest Division HP ratings then, too (LS6 = 450).

No one spec figure determines anything and well-done differentiation can address all concerns here.

GM needs to get back to that (and they are moving that way IMO) and these will become "Buick" and "Chevys" again, rather than 'GM cars'.

There is NO REASON a large car segment across GM Divisions needs to have no overlap in HP.

In the heyday that was never an issue, and in fact Chevy got away with the highest Division HP ratings then, too (LS6 = 450).

No one spec figure determines anything and well-done differentiation can address all concerns here.

GM needs to get back to that (and they are moving that way IMO) and these will become "Buick" and "Chevys" again, rather than 'GM cars'.

Well, I understand what you're saying and I partly agree with it, but you can't say that it sounds a little off when someone says, "Yeah, I just bought a RWD $26,000 Chevy Impala with a 330hp V6 and 8-speed tranny," and the next guy says, "Really? What's up with GM?! I just spent over $37,000 for RWD Cadillac CTS with a torqueless 270hp 3.0L V6 and 6-speed auto that gets poor fuel economy... WTF?!"

Or how about the guy who spent almost $35,000 on his LaCrosse CXS and is ticked that the Impala has real wood as an option, but his highest trim and soon-to-be most-expensive sedan for Buick, doesn't have that as an option?

Maybe it's nitpicky, but again, it feels off.

Well, I understand what you're saying and I partly agree with it, but you can't say that it sounds a little off when someone says, "Yeah, I just bought a RWD $26,000 Chevy Impala with a 330hp V6 and 8-speed tranny," and the next guy says, "Really? What's up with GM?! I just spent over $37,000 for RWD Cadillac CTS with a torqueless 270hp 3.0L V6 and 6-speed auto that gets poor fuel economy... WTF?!"

Or how about the guy who spent almost $35,000 on his LaCrosse CXS and is ticked that the Impala has real wood as an option, but his highest trim and soon-to-be most-expensive sedan for Buick, doesn't have that as an option?

It's not nitpicking; what you're writing makes perfect sense. There could be some overlap, of course, but Cadillac (1st) and Buick (2nd) should be the higher standard/optional content brands. Having a Chevrolet other than the Corvette (and to some extent a couple of versions of the Camaro) biting at Buick and Cadillac would not be a good idea.

Edited by ZL-1

It's not nitpicking; what you're writing makes perfect sense. There could be some overlap, of course, but Cadillac (1st) and Buick (2nd) should be the higher standard/optional content brands. Having a Chevrolet other than the Corvette (and to some extent a couple of versions of the Camaro) biting at Buick and Cadillac would not be a good idea.

Actually, apart from the elecrochromic windows most of the "premium" features are pretty standard fare. Besides, the solution should never be never to dumb down the Chevy, the solution should be the make the Buick better. Don't look at Buick or Cadillac and ask how the Chevy needs to be inferior. Look at the Honda, Toyota and Hyundai and ask how it needs to be better.

For instance, the LaCrosse CAN get the same 330hp engine in transverse, FWD/AWD form. The LaCrosse also can have better leathers, cooled as well as heated seats, dual zone climate control, self-level heat lights, vibrating massage pads in the seats, more adjustable seats, an eAssist hybrid option, all of which are not on the Impala. Buick can also have the Electrochromic Glass -- in fact, after people start flying on the 787 that may be something they start looking for in cars. The Buick, by virtue of its positioning can also be carry more sound deadening and active noise cancellation in a nicer stereo, you name it. And, sure, the LaCrosse deserves an 8-speed at around the same time frame too...

The engine is not supposed to be some "Impala Special" High Output 3.6. The engine IS the new, ubiquitous, GM 3.6 -- it'll simply replace the current 3.6 across the board. As far as the LaCrosse goes, it'll probably get the same engine plus the LF3 Bi-turbo DI V6 as an option in roughly the same time frame.

• Agree 1

I'm sure that once GM has a 8 speed tranny, it will be a transverse and longitudinal version and GM will be stuffing it into everything it can to keep up with the competition.

The 6 speed tranny eclipsed the 4 speed trannies pretty quickly... except on a few platforms where the 6 speed was unable to fit, IIRC.

There is without a doubt an element of 'feels off' to it on the surface, but if we're going to focus on HP alone, recall the years the 'bottom feeder' Chevelle SS offered up to 450 HP while the 'uplevel' GTO offered only 366. Even higher Buick GS offered but 360. No outcry from the thousands of GTO & GS buyers, because these were very different cars that appealed to buyers on a myriad of levels. That's the key right there.

I agree with Dwight... make the Chevy this nice, and upgrade the Buick.

What engine will the rumored LaCrosse GS have?

My guess is that it'll get the LF3 engine. 3.0 bi-turbo V6. If there is no new tranny, then it'll be stuck with 300 lb-ft and perhaps between 300 and 360 bhp. If there is a stronger variant of the 6T transmission look for about 360hp/360lb-ft even. Not bad... BMW 535 class in in power. Although the DI V6es need a bit of work in the NVH department.

Edited by dwightlooi

My guess is that it'll get the LF3 engine. 3.0 bi-turbo V6. If there is no new tranny, then it'll be stuck with 300 lb-ft and perhaps between 300 and 360 bhp. If there is a stronger variant of the 6T transmission look for about 360hp/360lb-ft even. Not bad... BMW 535 class in in power. Although the DI V6es need a bit of work in the NVH department.

BTW Dwight, just have to say I love reading your posts... you have some awesome ideas and I find you very knowledgeable. I appreciate that you try to think outside the box and come up with products we want.

Unfortunately, I've heard about the NVH issues of the DI V6's. It's a shame... GM knows how to build a damn good engine, if they could just fine tune a couple of things they'd shut the critics up.

Seeing that other post about the 2012 Impala getting the 3.6 and a 6spd auto, I suspect the real 2014 Impala will be the same as the 2012...w/ the updated engine and transmission, the W-body could go on another 5-10 years..(j/k)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Seeing that other post about the 2012 Impala getting the 3.6 and a 6spd auto, I suspect the real 2014 Impala will be the same as the 2012...w/ the updated engine and transmission, the W-body could go on another 5-10 years..(j/k)

Another interesting fact... Despite being a rather old 2005 design and lacking of a 4-cylinder option, the Impala outsells the 2008+ Malibu last year. By 2014 the Impala will be 9-year old -- very long in the tooth compared to the typical 4~6 year model cycle of most cars.

Edited by dwightlooi

Uffa, don't joke. I would just hope that with the updated powertrain they could afford just a tiny modification to the exterior to freshen it slightly and update the interior appearance and maybe throw a feature or two in like offer navigation, the black tie from the Malibu that has USB support, etc. I'd also like to see Auto Climate Control make its first appearance on this generation.

Another interesting fact... Despite being a rather old 2005 design and lacking of a 4-cylinder option, the Impala outsells the 2008+ Malibu last year. By 2014 the Impala will be 9-year old -- very long in the tooth compared to the typical 4~6 year model cycle of most cars.

The Impala is probably pretty much what GM is aiming at the daily rental fleet market, no?

Many people complain about Walmart too but they still shop there because it is cheap.

The sad part is while the Impala is selling well it is not because it is a class leader. It sales are on high discounts and low profit margins. GM is lucky that most of the tooling was paid off long ago or the low profits would not even be that.

Most Hyundais sell not because they are the best cars but because they are cheap. This is something Chevy needs to remember when planning new product. In a stale economy like this price counts for a lot in selling cars.

I also expect the 3.6 Six Speed to be carried over to the new Impala later on. The investment here is not something that will be lost on the old car and not used in the new car.

Edited by hyperv6

BTW Dwight, just have to say I love reading your posts... you have some awesome ideas and I find you very knowledgeable. I appreciate that you try to think outside the box and come up with products we want.

Unfortunately, I've heard about the NVH issues of the DI V6's. It's a shame... GM knows how to build a damn good engine, if they could just fine tune a couple of things they'd shut the critics up.

DI engines as a whole make noise but most of it stays outside. My HHR sounds great inside but out side it sounds like a smurf war under the hood. The non DI V6 is very smooth and what noise it makes is plesent.

These exercises are pure fantasy, like playing Marry-f@#k-Kill using Emma Stone, Avril Lavigne and Flo from the Progressive commercials, you can talk all you want but its never going to happen.

Yup. Kill Avril!!

I forgot she existed until that freaking song where she manages to say hell about 600 times in 3 minutes.

An M-F-K thread would be interesting if it wouldn't have to be shoved in Rated R where nobody would see it.

DI engines as a whole make noise but most of it stays outside. My HHR sounds great inside but out side it sounds like a smurf war under the hood. The non DI V6 is very smooth and what noise it makes is plesent.

It's the clock-clock-clock from the Direct Injection system. At higher speed it becomes a Gggggrrrrrr. I am not sure if it's the injectors themselves or the high pressure fuel rails and accumulators vibrating from the closure pulses from the injectors. Eitherway it is decidedly coarse... the 3.6 DI V6 I drove in a rented Camaro was noiser, coarser and less refined than the 2.4 liter 4-potter in the Malibu -- significantly so.

Edited by dwightlooi

Yup. Kill Avril!!

I forgot she existed until that freaking song where she manages to say hell about 600 times in 3 minutes.

An M-F-K thread would be interesting if it wouldn't have to be shoved in Rated R where nobody would see it.

They don't play her in LA, except on KROQ, ironically...and that station went to $h! years ago...

Yes, but you're talking about a large and heavy "new luxury premium car" getting 182hp standard and the Impala, a Chevy, getting 330hp standard. If the Impala is this nice, why wouldn't it go after Lexus buyers as well? Wouldn't that take Buick buyers away? I'm sure there are Lexus buyers that want power and premium features. It just seems backwards to me. In this example (and don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a nice RWD Impala back), I feel there would be 3 engine choices, and either a smaller V6 or less powerful 3.6 would be standard... with a 6-speed auto. Again... he brings up an 8-speed auto in a base Impala, cheaper than the most-expensive Malibu, and having more gears than any Cadillac... it just seems like it would never happen.

Think "Charger."

Aside from the magnetorheological shocks, nothing this car would offer can really be considered "premium" anymore.

It's the clock-clock-clock from the Direct Injection system. At higher speed it becomes a Gggggrrrrrr. I am not sure if it's the injectors themselves or the high pressure fuel rails and accumulators vibrating from the closure pulses from the injectors. Eitherway it is decidedly coarse... the 3.6 DI V6 I drove in a rented Camaro was noiser, coarser and less refined than the 2.4 liter 4-potter in the Malibu -- significantly so.

yet in the Enclave, Acadia, and CTS, it's smooth... so clearly GM knows how to quell the sound.

yet in the Enclave, Acadia, and CTS, it's smooth... so clearly GM knows how to quell the sound.

It's worse in colder weather too I've seen...

Not sure about the Enclave and Acadia. But I had rented the CTS (3.6) and SRX (3.0) while travelling. They are quieter than the Camaro for sure, but the engine is still not as quiet, as smooth, as responsive or as refined as say the 3.2 V6 in the Acura TL (which I own). Not by a long shot.