Daily Driving Through Strange Times

Disclaimer: this is all personal rambling. If you want to get to the meat of the story, skip the prologue.

Well, as I mentioned here before, I'm entering what has turned out to be a transitional period in my life.

On October 18th, I quit my job after a two-weeks notice. I had been working for Guitar Center for almost a year (about three weeks shy of that mark) earning minimum wage plus commission where it was a sales-based job. While the job was not physically taxing, it was very mentally demanding and the constant long hours left me feeling trapped and continuously fatigued. It was a very financially unpredictable job as well because of the country's unbalanced economy, and towards the end I was lucky to break even driving about 40 miles one way to work (in all honesty, I had to spend money I had saved up to work my last four weeks there). The financial strain of me quitting my job has turned out to be considerably less than when I was working, simply because I no longer have to spend half a grand every month on 89 octane gasoline. The Challenger had a mere 13 miles on its odometer when I got it back in April. Now it has a staggering 17,000 miles only six months later, meaning the original warranty would have been completely used up sometime during the summer of this coming year.

I have to wait about four more days before I really know what my final paycheck will look like. It could go either way and a part of me wonders if I'll get screwed out of a little bit of money. I'll be looking things over with a fine-toothed comb.

Next month, I'll get to work on re-enrolling in college. I'm planning on going year-round so that I can earn a four-year degree about a year early. Going into college full-time at the age of 21 seems like a late start, and it is, but I also know that I'm more capable now of flying through college than when I first graduated high school. When I went to college for a semester last year, I had about a 3.0 GPA and I didn't really even have to try. I consider that a benefit of my post-high school graduate education in the real world for four years. Now I'm more apt to take college seriously without the perspective of a teenager.

I'm hoping that this time, I won't have to finance my entire education as well. After I sort out my education, I'm going to see if my sales experience may possibly land me a job at a local bank. I wouldn't mind being a teller.

So now, the only thing I have to deal with before my re-enrollment is what to do about a car. Chances are I won't be able to keep the Challenger, although I've been thinking of ways to keep it should I have difficultly selling it. Assessing the situation, I know that I could sell it myself for $23,000 and I could sell it to a dealer and only make the payoff on it. It's all somewhere in that ballpark, anyhow. I previously boasted that I came out to the good on it either way regardless and, yep, once again I have to eat crow. That's fine. I should've known how many miles I would wind up racking up and accounted accordingly for that before I ran my mouth.

So, regardless if it somehow stays or if it goes, I'm going to need another car. The Jeep Cherokee I had was originally bought to supplement the Challenger for going to work and to get around in during the winter months, and possibly replace it in a worse case scenario. However, that didn't work out because of what it would've taken to repair the engine.

Money is tight, so I'm going about this in a very Top Gear Challenge sort of way by setting a budget and undercutting that budget every way I can. Being resourceful, I can scrape together about $2,000 and still be okay for a little while.

So what am I mainly considering to pick up, all things depending?

Here's one option:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2661412625.html

Here's another:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2642898515.html

Again, we'll see how it all plays out.

Edited by black-knight

"Daily Driving Through Strange Times" - With this title you confirm again something I've noticed about your posts lately. Namely, you have some notable writing skill.

And this new post also confirms something else I've noted - your thinking has grown to be far more concise than once was the case. I think your assesment about getting back into, and through, school is spot-on.

Good luck with all of it, YJ.

• Agree 1

You know, I applaud your going back to school, but sometimes I wonder if its worth it for the current batch of 20-somethings in the situation our country is headed. I won't try to discourage you, but at least think out your education plans so that you have a job at the end of the tunnel. There are too many people getting useless run-of-the-mill educations and a glut of people who are not employable. IMHO, you have to aim high and do the doctor/lawyer/engineer stuff to ensure you have a job in the near future. If you are considering anything that is sales related or writing related (as Camino noted your obvious writing skills), you might be better off getting experience now rather than a degree.

That said, your immediate search is for a car that frees you from the Challenger burden... you need to shoot lower than your $2000 nut... like...

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2661296487.html

Yeah, its another head gasket, but its cheap, the parts are included, and it will be worth more fixed.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2647885527.html

Needs a $200 j-yard tranny. Half an afternoon project with a friend on a Caprice.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2646161908.html

Claims nothings wrong with it... but I imagine it looks like a worn out '94.

One final thing... if you need cash and have some height/muscle on you, the best place to make the money is bouncing... much of it is tips.

Also, if you want to consider keeping the Challenger, you might want to consider a BK. You can many times get the value 'compressed' and still keep it. And while your credit takes a hit, its not as bad as you might think after you emerge from it. My BK'd friends had better credit than I did (at the time) the day after filing. A BK might cost you $2K, but might still be ahead in the end. The BK stigma is not as bad as it used to be, considering the current economy.

"Daily Driving Through Strange Times" - With this title you confirm again something I've noticed about your posts lately. Namely, you have some notable writing skill.

And this new post also confirms something else I've noted - your thinking has grown to be far more concise than once was the case. I think your assesment about getting back into, and through, school is spot-on.

Good luck with all of it, YJ.

Thanks Camino.

I've always been attracted to art in general, in whatever form it should come to me in. It's my ultimate hobby. Music, writing, drawing, graphic design ... the list has no end. I initially tried to pursue a degree in graphic design during my previous swing at college. My previous job and, to a far more milder degree, my doubts over finding successful work with that degree ultimately killed my hopes of having a job involving it, leading up to my dropping out.

Going for a journalism degree was something else I've considered in the past, but it's more of the same song and dance: exactly how far will it take me?

I suppose I'll eventually find a way to make money at my hobby, one way or another. The only challenge, of course, is to prevent the business end of things from soiling what fun you get out of it. I suppose if I can't find a way for the two to co-exist near harmoniously, then I'll drop that pursuit of mine.

As a related footnote, being around guitars constantly was the only real highlight of my old job at the end of the day, although my opportunities to play what few interesting guitars they stocked was extremely limited. It was also nice to be able to chat about old guitars (I have a knack, it seems, for old Fender and Gibson guitars and old amps like balthazar has with old stuff in general) with a small number of guys who were passing though there.

I'd love to own a vintage guitar shop one day, though, regardless ... which brings me to my number one goal in life: own my own business and be my own boss by the time I'm around 35 or so. If I succeed at that, then it would be the same as early retirement in my opinion. The thought of working has never bothered me, but I will admit that I would much rather work on my own terms. I wasn't born to follow until I'm old and gray; everyone who knew me when I was old enough to speak and walk will tell you that. :P

Edited by black-knight

You know, I applaud your going back to school, but sometimes I wonder if its worth it for the current batch of 20-somethings in the situation our country is headed. I won't try to discourage you, but at least think out your education plans so that you have a job at the end of the tunnel. There are too many people getting useless run-of-the-mill educations and a glut of people who are not employable. IMHO, you have to aim high and do the doctor/lawyer/engineer stuff to ensure you have a job in the near future. If you are considering anything that is sales related or writing related (as Camino noted your obvious writing skills), you might be better off getting experience now rather than a degree.

Agreed. Trust me, I've had almost four long years after high school to really think and learn about things. Read my response to Camino above regarding my outlook on pursing a more "creative thinking" type of job. Although it's what I was pretty much made to do, it won't provide me with much of a future right now.

Regarding a sales job, I personally would prefer to completely avoid that line of work in the future. Working a sales position at Guitar Center was almost like selling new and used cars and I say that with absolute seriousness. For the guys here who are in that line of work, does the term "sales ups" sound familiar? The whole thing has left me feeling a little ... sticky. I should also add I mean what I'm saying with no disrespect, but I know it's a line of work I could never stay in the rest of my life. You all have my sincerest empathy.

I think I'll be looking into what the medical field can offer me for awhile. The shear magnitude of job security in that field in this state alone has been enough to grab my attention.

That said, your immediate search is for a car that frees you from the Challenger burden... you need to shoot lower than your $2000 nut... like...

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2661296487.html

Yeah, its another head gasket, but its cheap, the parts are included, and it will be worth more fixed.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2647885527.html

Needs a $200 j-yard tranny. Half an afternoon project with a friend on a Caprice.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2646161908.html

Claims nothings wrong with it... but I imagine it looks like a worn out '94.

I'm hesitant to go that low again, unless of course it was a some stupid-ass, once in a life time deal that would land me a very nice Jeep or other interesting 4WD SUV for next to nothing. Remember, I bought my Cherokee for $450 and I wound up biting off more than I could chew in the end. I'm not saying no, just saying I'm trying to find that happy medium first. I know $1,500 might get me something decent if I look hard enough.

There's a lot hinging on the Challenger going or staying, though. I should know what happens over the course of the coming weeks.

One final thing... if you need cash and have some height/muscle on you, the best place to make the money is bouncing... much of it is tips.

I've got the height -- I stand 6 feet even -- but not the weight or muscle/muscle tone. I only weight a scant 160 to 165 pounds. Funny considering my diet would probably give someone cholesterol just thinking about it. Chalk it up to my freak metabolism. I guess I've been eating absolutely terribly unhealthy foods for so long my body must have adapted to it. :P

Also, if you want to consider keeping the Challenger, you might want to consider a BK. You can many times get the value 'compressed' and still keep it. And while your credit takes a hit, its not as bad as you might think after you emerge from it. My BK'd friends had better credit than I did (at the time) the day after filing. A BK might cost you $2K, but might still be ahead in the end. The BK stigma is not as bad as it used to be, considering the current economy.

I've considered the possibility of that, but as it stands right now I don't think it'll have to go to those extremes. I can't rule anything out, though.

Did you txt the guy about the Blazer? Seems interesting.

Nope. Not yet. If it's still around by the time I have a few minor things sorted out, I might be getting in touch.

Edited by black-knight

Considering I have a high school diploma (miss that meme?) I'd like to offer this about picking a degree program: Study something you like and things will fall into place. I often call my media studies degree worthless, but it led directly to me doing some community outreach and fundraising (extortion) work for an organization that helps abandoned children, which was pretty rewarding. The moral of the story: pick something you like and don't worry about the future. You're more likely to stick with a program that interests you and job opportunities will present themselves quite unexpectedly.

Considering I have a high school diploma (miss that meme?) I'd like to offer this about picking a degree program: Study something you like and things will fall into place. I often call my media studies degree worthless, but it led directly to me doing some community outreach and fundraising (extortion) work for an organization that helps abandoned children, which was pretty rewarding. The moral of the story: pick something you like and don't worry about the future. You're more likely to stick with a program that interests you and job opportunities will present themselves quite unexpectedly.

I kinda both agree and disagree with this. Had I known my business degree would be so worthless, I would have never wasted the time with it. Still very iffy about even trying a masters. Granted I live in a very damaged state.....

Switching gears (to med/HR) and starting my own business should help.....

Either way YJ, good luck....

If you are interested in journalism, I can lend you a couple insights from my education:

85% of journalism is research. Only 15% is writing. I'm being trained to bang out 350 word articles complete with lede and nut-graf in 15 minutes. In order to get all that info, I have to do five hours of research and interviewing. You have to become an "expert" in order to write effectively. I have to be an expert on uranium mining and exploration in the next couple days. Last week, I was an expert on a local municipalities development and traffic laws. Before that, nicotine addiction.

If you like to write creatively, be prepared to throw away your flowing sentences, and confine to a format. It's a different method of writing - one that is governed by plenty of rules, and has to match your editor's/publication's parameters. That being said, the ability to be creative is still there, just in a different way.

You need to good with people. I'm fortunate that I have a 'folksy' demeanor (my instructor's words, not mine) so I'm always at ease during interviews, and so are the interviewees. Cold-calling people you've never met, and asking them tough questions about things they'd rather not talk about is no cake-walk.

Read. And read some more. Anything. Everything. If you're not writing or researching, find some time to burn through a book or magazine that's interesting. Find publications that challenge your view, and have half a dozen sources of reliable news-media at your fingertips.

Do stuff that's out of your comfort zone and out of the ordinary. It's all useful and relevant at sometime or another.

Not being able to publicly hold an opinion or take sides, or join many groups is incredibly tough.

Most importantly: You will work hard. Really f&%king hard. You will sweat as you wait for people to respond to your emails and calls, knowing they may ignore you as the clock ticks down to the deadline.

There are other caveats. I would recommend a degree, or some area of expertise before going into journalism if possible. That way, you have a potential 'beat.' Fostering good contacts is incredibly helpful too.

But so far, I am doing the most rewarding thing I ever have in my life. Despite everything I listed above, I haven't had more fun doing anything else.

85% of journalism is research. Only 15% is writing.

I only wished that proportion came out in the automotive writing I frequently read. Sloppiness has been a running hallmark of far too much in publication.

Not being able to publicly hold an opinion or take sides, or join many groups is incredibly tough.

Yeah, that's another one. Objectivity can be as fleeting as good research at times...

Does 'blu need a new cabana boy already?

As for what Muammar Gaddafap was saying, any journalistic endeavor is a ton of work that requires you to look at something from every angle. For the most part, the only thing you'll do is piss people off.

I'm not sure what a cabana even is...:blink:

Also called a ramada. Usually a square/rectangular shaded (often open in the sides) hut-like structure, often by a pool or a beach. I had one by my pool, but it was worn out and falling in, have a big umbrella on the table there now..

My unemployment didn't last long. I'm "unofficially" earning a few bucks with a job I have lined out for tomorrow morning. Let's see how long this lasts.

Cool!

And, good luck with school. I wish I had the option of quitting my job right now, but I don't. :(

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic

* PRE-SURGERY PARTY = ~5:30p-10:30p, Saturday, 10/29/2011 at Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"We believe in tomorrow, but we're stuck in today" __ Hall & Oates __ 'So Close (Yet So Far Away)'

85% of journalism is research. Only 15% is writing.

I only wished that proportion came out in the automotive writing I frequently read. Sloppiness has been a running hallmark of far too much in publication.

I only wish that proportion was evident in just about ANY media. It seems like there's so much variance and spin in any media outlet these days, most notably news and politics, that nobody really knows what the hell's going on. How I long for truth and objectivity.

• 1 month later...

"Where does the Dirt Road Become a Parkway? DD Through Strange Times Pt. 2"

Over a month ago, I composed and released the post above to the forums in which I described a few previous events in my life that has ultimately led me to where I am now: out of work, clawing to be let in at the front door of a local college, and paying for a debt that, as time goes on, I really can't afford to have.

The situation seems quite bleak, and I suppose I tend to relay a bit of pessimism when I discuss it, but I'm also confident this will all work out one way or another.

I've decided to jump for a major in journalism, provided I get accepted for the Spring 2012 semester and my feet stay as warm as they are now. Just in case, though, I'll have my first semester classes set up to where I won't be at a total loss if I decide to change my major. That might seem like uncertainty -- and I won't lie, it is -- but the fact is I do like blathering on, musing, and discussing the facts about topics that interest me. (That's why I've been trying to contribute a few extra news stories to the site recently.) If I have to declare a major to get my foot in the door, I don't have any problem choosing journalism and I'll cast any of my doubt aside if I'm stuck with it as my major.

As far as another vehicle is concerned, I'm hung up on another Cherokee. Aside from owners who simply don't want to let theirs go obviously, folks down here seem to have quickly snapped up most of the decently priced Cherokees I've ran into in light of the coming winter mess. I'm sure as soon as March and April hit people will be looking to unload them just in time for tax season however.

And that's great and all, but March is still a distant silhouette on the horizon and I don't think my tax returns will be enough to buy me a fair example. Sellers do tend to bloat asking prices for vehicles around tax season, regardless of whether or not their particular vehicle will be in prime demand. Of course, that knowledge only makes me want to scheme of ways to get one cheap. The fact I'm always poking around on Craigslist doesn't help either.

That leads me to a listing I found tonight for a cheap '98 Cherokee 4x4 for $600. It's missing a bumper as well as something even bigger than that -- the title. I have a quick and easy way to raise the cash to get it, but I also get the damnedest feeling of deja-vu over the very thought of buying it. I think I may still call the DMV and educate myself about how to get a title for a vehicle purchased without one, but ehhhhh ...

We'll see how it works out.

Edited by black-knight

Good luck with choosing your major. I was one of those lost souls who couldn't decide what they wanted to major in beause most of the things I liked were very iffy propositions when it came to return on investment. Journalism was one of m majors and I graduated with a minor in it but it was always an interesting major/ career path.

That Cherokee is gone. Probably all for the best as well.

However this popped up. It's a '90 GMC Sierra 4x4 with 140,000 miles for $750 bucks. It's not a Cherokee, but it's cheap enough to be very tempting.

I think that the journalism major is a fine idea.

Thanks Camino. For the majority, I've got a good feeling about it.

Good luck with choosing your major. I was one of those lost souls who couldn't decide what they wanted to major in beause most of the things I liked were very iffy propositions when it came to return on investment. Journalism was one of m majors and I graduated with a minor in it but it was always an interesting major/ career path.

Trust me, I know where you're coming from. I studied graphic design for a semester only to drop out because I was unsure about how successful I would be in finding a job in that field locally and how long it would take for me to reap the benefits of that job once I landed it.

Having listened to the horror stories of people who managed to graduate from college with a four-year degree only to wind up working at a fast food joint really rattled my nerves. I just can't stand the thought of meeting a fate like that when I'm fighting with everything I have to really make something of myself.

If after a semester I decide a journalism major isn't for me, like you I'll probably pursue a minor in it at best and instead focus on a career as a radiologist. I hate appearing to be so scatterbrained about college, but I'm trying to make this all count for something and failure is not an option.

Edited by black-knight

With the demise of so many newspapers I wonder what the future holds for journalists, esp. the serious ones and not celebrity gossip ones...

There's a future in it I think, but it's a field that's been swept up in the tornado of advancing technology.

There will always be printed media to a certain degree (read: backup), but the future of journalism really is specifically in the mediums of television (it's always a good idea to take a few classes related to broadcasting when you're shooting for a journalism degree) and the internet.

I know I personally frequent quite a few blogs during my day, almost regardless of the situation unless I'm at a funeral or working, and that's how I stay up to date on current events. It's that way for a lot of folks. Blogs -- the ones you can take serious and that aren't personal, anyway -- are effectively replacing newspapers, along with e-zines and books that can be downloaded to PDF format which can be printed off.

Also, thank the iPad, Kindle, and other tablets for contributing to the death of the holding power of printed media.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, imp.

I might kick the tires on a few Supercharged/Turbocharged Cobalt Super Sports as well. That, the three-door Astra, and the Golf GTi are the very few compact cars I'm sort of fond of.

I'd also love to have a manual transmission again.

So, I guess I have my options limited to the following cars:

• Dodge Magnum/Charger (These are on top of my list.)
  • Chrysler 300/C (See above.)
  • Pontiac G8 (Slim chance in hell, but I'm looking into it.)
  • Pontiac GTO (I have regrets about not buying the one I found before I bought the Challenger.)
  • Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (A low-mileage, later model fourth-gen only. I also list this one, well, just because I still have a spot in my heart for one.)
  • Cadillac CTS (Not one of my first picks, but whatever. It's still rear-wheel drive and, if you're lucky, you can find one with a stick.)
  • Infiniti G35 Coupe (Hell, why not?)
  • Saturn Astra 3-Door (5-speed only.)
  • Chevy Colt SS Supercharged/Turbocharged (Coupe only.)
  • VW Golf (Rabbit) GTi (5-Speed only.)
  • Jeep Liberty (A Renegade would be preferred here.)
  • Jeep Wrangler (This one is obligatory.)
  • Jeep Patriot (4WD models only.)
  • Nissan Xterra (2005 and up models only.)
  • NIssan Frontier (See above.)
  • Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (No four-banger regular cabs. After the two S-Series trucks I had, I swore I wouldn't go down that road ever again and I intend not to. Also, Z71 and Sport models are preferred.)
  • Dodge Dakota (Again, why not?)

Yikes. Three of those cars are front-wheel drive. Oh well. They could be worse.

Edited by black-knight

No. I'm saying that you need something low cost. For a long time. If you want to do journalism, money will be hard to come by for some time. You need to start saving and you can do that by buying the white Accord.

Buying a vehicle that will inevitably have higher premiums, higher fuel costs and higher overall maintenance costs... and going into school for a few years and coming out with a job that will have you scrounging for cash... makes no sense.

• Agree 1

That's hardly limited. Also if the Charger/300 are on your "limited" list why are you even selling the Challenger?

It seems limited.

I'm selling the Challenger because I can no longer afford to pay for it, simple as that. What little money I have saved that's been paying my bills since I quit work is going to run out in the near future if I don't at least reduce my car payment by a hundred bucks. A used Charger, Magnum, or 300 (with varying mileage) can be had for around $200 a month and under depending on what term you go with on the loan. In fact, that's pretty much true of everything I have listed.

Edited by black-knight

No. I'm saying that you need something low cost. For a long time. If you want to do journalism, money will be hard to come by for some time. You need to start saving and you can do that by buying the white Accord.

Buying a vehicle that will inevitably have higher premiums, higher fuel costs and higher overall maintenance costs... and going into school for a few years and coming out with a job that will have you scrounging for cash... makes no sense.

If money is such an issue you should go for something cheaper and more fuel efficient while still being reliable, such ass an older accord. It may not be the car you deserve, but its the one you need.

I'm thinking I might ask Olds to make the forum software word-filter "White Accord" to "peanut-butter sandwich" or something.

I see your point though, guys. Honest, I do.

But Columbus, OH is a pretty far drive away from where I'm at ...

Edited by black-knight

To get back on topic, though, that '08 Astra is about as close I can come to being very fuel efficient, cheap to insure, cheap to pay monthly, and cheap to maintain out of everything I listed. If that isn't enough, it's also white and at a Honda lot as well.

It's still 180 miles away, though.

all jokes aside. i agree. you and i are the same age. and from what i understand in the same position. i have a car i paid for all at once. it may have its bad times but i enjoy every moment of it. dont get yourself into something if u are strapped for cash. save up then buy a reliable used car.

Edited by fullmoon97

Problem, it also involves payments,

Yes, I realize that.

something you shouldn't be having if you're low on money.

I said my savings were going to run out quicker than I anticipated if I didn't start trimming down my bills (all three of them) somehow. I didn't say I was completely broke, at least not yet anyway. I can afford to pay a cheaper payment until I start working again.

If you're thinking "Since you're also planning on finding another job going and back to work, then you should just hold out and keep the Challenger" the issue there is that I may wind up commuting 30 plus miles away just to work part-time again. Like I said in the first post of this thread, I was going in the hole doing that with the Challenger. That won't work. I have to earn enough money to pay for gas to go to school and to work on, as well as earn enough money to pay the few bills I have.

To sum it up: regardless of whatever happens, the Challenger has got to go from a financial standpoint. I only thought about the here-and-now when I bought it and I'm not ashamed to admit my stupidity and enthusiasm now has me backed me into a corner. I've said on here before the situation is complicated, and it's exactly that. It's not easy to find a place to start explaining it with the absolute best of clarity. I wish I knew of a way to keep the car, but I don't. I've continuously come up empty-handed when it comes to making that work and the time has finally come to take some action before things come down to the wire. I have to keep some of my savings for situations exactly like this, you know.

It's also not like I can't buy another Challenger when all of this dust finally settles in a few years, anyway.

There's also a reason why I can't buy a really cheap car as a daily driver: from my experience, older cars with 150,000 miles and up simply can't hold up to the stress of constant commuting. I honestly think that's one reason the Camaro was falling apart on me as bad as it was.

I'm not saying there aren't cars that fit that criteria that are exceptions, but I think it's true for the majority of them regardless of who built it or what sort of car it is. To me, the cost of keeping a car like that on the road is almost like having a car payment to pay every month, even worse of an investment, and even more of a headache.

It's different having one around as a beater, since you know you never have to really rely on it.

To be honest, I wouldn't have even started a thread about it if I didn't think it would help me to think just a little more clearly about things. I'm thinking I won't be so open about issues like this one in the future.

Edited by black-knight

Exactly, why do you have such hard time with a cheap, basic, reliable, commuter car? You said yourself you can just get something you want when the down the road.

I clarified on that end of things above. Simply put, I'm not willing to shell out $2,000 to $3,500 bucks for some '90s model car with 150,000 miles and have to constantly spend money to keep it on the road. I can think of a number of ways commuter cars can bear the brunt of abuse worse than any sports car or "enthusiast" car -- mainly being thousands of miles overdue for an oil change or for some form of basic maintenance or for some previous warranty work. Commuter cars are generally treated like junkyard dogs; not all of them have loving owners. I'm a.) not willing to have to put up with the long search of finding one that was treated right and b.) not willing to buy someone else's headache.

I don't care to work on a car, but when I'm constantly having to work on my daily driver when I should actually be driving it, well it's a different story.

If I were buying a car like that as a beater, it would be a completely different story. If something broke down, I'd get in my daily driver and fix it when I had the money and time.

Edited by black-knight

That's an interesting theory, however my lack of any major repairs to the 209,000 mile Prizm in four years begs to differ. The last major repair I had to do, if you can call it major, was a new slave cylinder. Your choice of some of your used cars mixed with some bad luck had more to do with your owes than them actually being used cars.

Buying used is always a bit of a gamble, but what you choose and the amount of research you do before you hand over the cash had a lot to do with how good the car will be to you once you own it.

Let's face it, a `90's Accord (as an example) has far better odds of being a damn sight more reliable than an `80's Monte Carlo. It's not apples to apples.

But don't take my advice, I don't know why I even bother offering serious advice every time we go through one of these threads, just trying to be helpful I guess. Sure I could just spam that white Accord but I've been trying to help. Oh well, here's to the next thread.

• Agree 2

Simply put, I'm not willing to shell out $2,000 to $3,500 bucks for some '90s model car with 150,000 miles and have to constantly spend money to keep it on the road.

I'm not sure what you can afford to shell out at once, but If you can afford to raise that number to, say, $5000-$6500, you can get yourself a perfectly fine used car that won't nickel and dime you to death.Off the top of my head, I can name:

05-07 non SS Cobalt

J body (say what you want about them, they're pretty reliable)

any early 00s W body with the 3800

1st gen Focus

4.3L S10/Sonoma

Silverado/Sierra

F-150

Ranger

Dakota

Ram

Taurus/Sable

LH Chryslers

Even if you have to wait a bit to get that amount, you're better off doing so, and buying it in cash and not having a payment.

Plus here's some more food for thought

• Agree 3