The official pics should be out tomoroww. I like the looks of the rear alot. It's similar to the Maxima's rear. Also, I love the aggressive wheels shown, and the detailed lips around the tailpipes is very nice. Also, looking at the wheelbase, the car seems to have grown a bit. I'm sure it's as big as the Camry now.

Everyone, look to the right of the guage cluster.  I can't tell, but is that a starter button?  If it's not, I wonder what it is.

It is.

That's probably not the top of the line interior, though. No navigation or wood trim like the SL trim would have.

The outside look nice a nice overall evolution of the 3rd generation.

The Pontiac G6 dash is nicer, but I really like this exterior. They're learning to tone down their recent weirdness very well, without retreating into bland country. Nissan's always been a good competitive citizen, in my mind, without Toyota's arrogance. Hopefully these newest vehicles won't suffer the same quality fate as the first Franco-Nippon generation did.

The new Altima - nicely done, overall.

I like the pervious (06) interior better I think, but this probably has higher-grade materials, and looks much better than the G6. Not quite as daring, but it still looks good. I'm lovin' that exterior though, it's evolutionary, but in all the right ways. The Aura may have met it's match. Plus this has way cooler wheels than the Aura. Overal I give it an A, I'm so pleased that they got the rear end to look good, finally. Great car, if there was ever a Japanese maker to root for, it's Nissan ^_^

Great car, if there was ever a Japanese maker to root for, it's Nissan ^_^

Yeah, that's my thinking too. I'm a Nissan/Infiniti fan, that's about it. I like the new GS, and the ES a little. I respect the new IS's credentials, as well as the TL. That's about it for Japanese cars.

It's growing on me... need to see more pics though. They'll probably have that cool color they have on the Sentra interior--that fire/terra cotta color leather.

I think the platform is the same but the design and photo angles make it appear larger.

I am on the fence with this one. The front is alright but I am really not a fan of those huge taillights and the side profile with that character line is horrible. The interior looks alright.

OFFICIAL PICS. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This car certainly is not going to make life any easier for the new AURA.

I like it.....and I really like the new interior. This interior trumps the AURAs unfortunately......

GM almost catches up.....then gets leapfrogged all in a couple days' time at NY....

And I'm guessing a 2.5L L4 with 180hp, and a 3.5L V6 with 280-300hp (based upon the press release stating the two engines will show increased performance.)

nissan's tried 3 times with the altima interior now and has missed all three.

I disagree.....

Only the first one sucked.....

The redesign had very nice materials and much better fit-and-finish and a much nicer integration of their center stack.

This third-generation only improves upon that....and shows GM how it SHOULD be done....

That is what the Aura is going after.

Good luck!

I agree with you.....

GM will need all your good luck.....

This stuff keeps getting more-and-more depressing by the day, doesn't it...?

GM brings out something new that's approaching acceptability from a competitive standpoint....then they just keep getting leapfrogged by the competition.

This stuff keeps getting more-and-more depressing by the day, doesn't it...? 

GM brings out something new that's approaching acceptability from a competitive standpoint....then they just keep getting leapfrogged by the competition.

I just continue to shake my head and am at the point of complete ambivalence toward the company and their products.

The Aura would have been a beautiful car back in 2002 but the look has grown tired. Back when the concept was revealed I said just that.

It is so depressing that this is another round of product from GM that is just not good enough compared to the competition and that will have to stick around for another 5 years.

Styling is opinion but this Altima goes to show me yet again which company is on the ball and which is not. GM’s products lack refinement and attention to the detail. How can they get it so right with the 900s and yet miss the mark with this.

I saw your post about the Aura lacking the Ecotec. I agree 100%. I would take the Ecotec over the 3.5 any day of the week. It is that mentality with GM that continues to persist. I have been wanting to vent over this for so long. I am glad the info is finally out. That South East Detroit, MI mentality will never go away at GM. It just continues to linger.

I am sitting on a GMS discount and I really have no desire to walk back into a GM showroom. For what?

Aura or the Altima?

As it stands right now, I'd take the Altima. I'd still like a side profile pic and some more exterior pics, but so far it looks like a winner, and the interior looks great. It's not garnished in fake would and the center stack is nicely integrated. It doesn't have an odd styling cues like the ugly Camry either. And the metal trim looks real. It'll be a hit for Nissan that's for sure.

I think they should have changed the exterior of the Altima more than they did. It's probably an improvement in person, but it looks like the segment is moving away from enlarged headlights and taillights that stretch halfway up the quarter panels. The car will look very dated in a year or so. And the interior layout is vintage mid-90s Pontiac, though the gauges are cool.

If Nissan is going with the 280-300hp V6 like The OC is guessing, I really hope they have an answer to the torque steer problem that many report from the current VQ powered FWD Nissans.

And how is this car superior to the Aura? (in terms of interior/exterior design)

Both cars are average inside and out IMO :AH-HA_wink:

Honestly, both the Aura and Altima rate evenly in the exterior/interior category. I'd probably give the Aura the tie-breaker though. But Nissan's press release seems to indicate that a whole slew of gadgets and goodies will be available at launch. Bluetooth, push-button start, and probably navi. And that certainly makes the Altima competitive.

amazing, nissan finally got the front end to be appealing. the exterior is all good. and the interior is an ambitious improvement, however its demure and reminiscent of Accord. In the family sedan category it will be at the top.

That is one of the worst steering wheels I have ever seen. I think the Aura is perfect competition for the Altima, but as someone said before I put the Aura slightly above it. That is in terms of interior and exterior design. Who knows the Aura could stomp all over the Altima in terms of driving.

Edited by CadillacCTS