Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2007 Pontiac G6 Changes

I actually think the GTP coupe with two-tone interior will now be a great option to competitors. Especially if it retains the $23,490 base price. Remember, Solara hasn't been updated yet, and the Honda still only has a 5-spd.

Here is the engine chart from the order guide:

Posted Image

MODEL CODES

2ZF69 – G6 SEDAN BASE

2ZG69 – G6 SE SEDAN

2ZH69 – G6 GT SEDAN

2ZH67 – G6 GT CONVERTIBLE

2ZH37 – G6 GT COUPE

2ZM69 – G6 GTP SEDAN

2ZM37 – G6 GTP COUPE

Don't forget, there will be one more engine/code available... the 270hp version of the 3.9L

Seems absurd that ABS and side airbags are options when so many cars today have them as standard features...

GM has already announced that all GM cars and trucks will have ABS, Traction Control, & Stability Control standard by 2010. It's only a matter of time. Yes, It's taking awhile... but GM will have that taken care of within the next 3 years.

Lutz is trying his best. He's trying his best to make Pontiac relevent while there is no new product along the way.

Quite frankly, it's SAD!

GM has already announced that all GM cars and trucks will have ABS, Traction Control, & Stability Control standard by 2010. It's only a matter of time. Yes, It's taking awhile... but GM will have that taken care of within the next 3 years.

Didn't all GM cars have ABS standard in the mid-90's?

The G6 is getting there with these improvements, but if GM wants to truely compete with the foreign autos the G6 needs further refinement in power, efficiency and weight. It's good to see the 3.6L V6 for 2007, but why in the world couldn't they mate it with a 6-spd manual? Is the 3.6L V6 all aluminum and will that G6 be as heavy as the present GTP?

finally GM is waking up and smelling the f*cking coffee......

will they upgrade the center stack finally now too?

Damn, I want to test one of those 3.6hp/manual ones....!

ENGINES EDITED

There are a few changes to the G6 for 2007.

• ABS is now standard on all models except base and SE.

• All Models now get the G6 GTP's Hydraulic Power Steering, except base and SE models.

•GTP models now have a standard 6 speed automatic transmission featuring manual shift mode.

• New standard GTP engine 3.6L 250 HP, V6, DOHC, VVT.

•Available heated cloth seats on all models.

• New - Air Bags: Driver and Passenger, Frontal Dual Stage, Side

Head Curtain Airbags and Passenger Sensing System standard on all models(except convertible).

• Seat side airbags now optional on all models.

• 2.4L Ecotec standard on base and SE models.

3.5L V6 standard on GT models.

3.6L V6 standard on GTP models.

3.9L available on all GT models with optional 6 speed manual.

• 3.9L engine changes:

W/ 4 Speed Auto - 227hp

W/ 6 Speed manual - 240hp.

GT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:

Includes 3.9L V6 (240HP), 18” Aluminum Painted Wheels, 6-Speed Manual Transmission,Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, Stabilitrak.

More changes to come.

is the 3.9L going to disappear in the next 2 years?  if it's to win the media and sales back fine, but will that be one of the shortest lived engines in the past 20 years?  what maybe 3-4years?

You could count the LX5 (3.5L DOHC V6) from the Intrigue and the LQ1 (3.4L DOHC V6) from the Z34, Cutlass, and Grand Prix as very short lived engines, too. The LX5 lived from MY1999 to MY2002. The LQ1 was available from MY1992 to MY1996.

You could count the LX5 (3.5L DOHC V6) from the Intrigue and the LQ1 (3.4L DOHC V6) from the Z34, Cutlass, and Grand Prix as very short lived engines, too.  The LX5 lived from MY1999 to MY2002.  The LQ1 was available from MY1992 to MY1996.

MY1997 on the LQ1, I got one so I know for sure.

What would make you say the 3900 is going to disappear?  Have you heard something to that effect?

to my post about this, forgot about the olds 3.5 (shortstar) and the 3.4 Dohc also as being short lived

to paolino, i'm just guessing, but it looks like the only reason gm's keeping it in there is for the manual opt. unless it's going to be significantly cheaper than the 3.6 gtp. but we'll see how a gxp comes out and the public's (and media) response to the 3.6 put in there (gtp).

The 3.5 should be relegated to optional status on Base/SE trim(s). Make the 3.9 standard on GT models and top out with a 280 hp version of the 3.6 (which should also be the topline Aura engine).

And to celebrate, how 'bout that new centre stack? ;)

Where in the hell did a 227hp 3900 come from? Why do we need a 227, 240 and 242 hp version of the same engine? Why did it get detuned? What hp does the 3500 produce. It's the vvt version so I would assume 211 or 225 like in the new Aura. This makes no sense having a 225 hp 3500 and a 227 hp 3900. WTF!

I'm not surprised by the varied reactions here, but let's give GM some credit. They have taken one of our major complaints and addressed it, it is wonderful the 3.6L engine is making it to this car. Hopefully, some sales can be added as a result of the intro of a good engine. That being said, maybe next time you can get it right from the begginning, idiots. G6 is unfortunately already sour. It is not outated, yet, but it is fairly underwhelming now compared to what is out there, so the 3.6 being introduced just now is not really the thing it needs to improve upon sales. This is unfortunate, since I've always thought the exterior style had sporty flair, but as with any product launch, GM did just about everything it could to kill the inherent goodness of the design. Poor engine choices, poor interior design/quality, and a lack of overall flair in exterior trim. Where's the more aggressive fascia and lower flared rocker panels for the GTP model? How about a center stack with real presence? For God's sake, who is in charge of wheel design? Fire that motherf545! [GTP has great wheels though.]

It's too little too late now, though pleasantly surprising. I'm glad the G6 will finally get this engine, but I'm pissed the engine lineup wasn't just the 2.4 and 3.6 from the get go. I'm even more pissed the future of Pontiac has been called into question again and again because this underwhelming car has performed poorly. Design the car right, engineer it right, from the first place, and you wouldn't have to kill all these cars!

G6 will be truly successful if the new model debuts with a stunning exterior and interior. The engines, quality, powertrain, and handling will all need to be ahead of the competition to make noise. Otherwise, we can count Pontiac dead.

Edited by turbo200

Where in the hell did a 227hp 3900 come from? Why do we need a 227, 240 and 242 hp version of the same engine? Why did it get detuned? What hp does the 3500 produce. It's the vvt version so I would assume 211 or 225 like in the new Aura. This makes no sense having a 225 hp 3500 and a 227 hp 3900. WTF!

I've heard 2 possible reasons for the 227hp version of the 3.9L in the convertible:

1) Something to do with the makeup of exhaust had to be different for the convertible

2) Something to do with having the torque be available at lower rpms because the convertible is heavier than the coupe or sedan.

I've heard 2 possible reasons for the 227hp version of the 3.9L in the convertible:

1)  Something to do with the makeup of exhaust had to be different for the convertible

2)  Something to do with having the torque be available at lower rpms because the convertible is heavier than the coupe or sedan.

It's actually something to do with the more restrictive exhaust. The Convertible has some extra structural beams which obstruct the original exhaust design.

Meh, these changes will go unnoticed and unadvertised, and it's not like they'll convince an import buyer to consider a G6. With so many brands, the majority of GM cars seem to be limited by their upmarket platform mates; the G6 can't be better than the 9-3, and consequently, all the Epsilon cars are fairly mediocre in their respective classes.

1)  Something to do with the makeup of exhaust had to be different for the convertible

2)  Something to do with having the torque be available at lower rpms because the convertible is heavier than the coupe or sedan.

I bet that convertible is going to have a curb weight of 3,800+ lbs......

MY1997 on the LQ1, I got one so I know for sure.

Ah... I assume you own a Lumina/MonteCarlo Z34? I think the reason I said MY1996 was the MY1997 Cutlass Supreme had the 3.1L.

That's way too many engine choices. WHy can't they do it like the Nissan Altima? base 4, upper level gets the powerful v6. nice and simple...and i would guess more cost efective. butwhat do i know?

Um... clearing out LX9 inventories?

EDIT: didn't see that it got changed to LZ4. But then why is it 201hp like the LX9?

Edited by ToniCipriani