2007 Pontiac G6 Changes

ENGINES EDITED

There are a few changes to the G6 for 2007.

• ABS is now standard on all models except base and SE.

• All Models now get the G6 GTP's Hydraulic Power Steering, except base and SE models.

•GTP models now have a standard 6 speed automatic transmission featuring manual shift mode.

• New standard GTP engine 3.6L 250 HP, V6, DOHC, VVT.

•Available heated cloth seats on all models.

• Radios now OnStar "Turn-By-Turn Navigation Capable".

• New optional 17" Black Chrome Tech wheels.

• New exterior colour - Blue-Gold Crystal

• New - Air Bags: Driver and Passenger, Frontal Dual Stage, Side

Head Curtain Airbags and Passenger Sensing System standard on all models(except convertible).

• New wheels:

17” x 7” 5-Spoke Facia Painted Wheel

18" x 7” Aluminum Ultra-Bright Wheel

• Seat side airbags now optional on all models.

• 2.4L Ecotec standard on base and SE models.

3.5L V6 standard on GT models.

3.6L V6 standard on GTP models.

3.9L available on all GT models with optional 6 speed manual.

• 3.9L engine changes:

W/ 4 Speed Auto - 227hp

W/ 6 Speed manual - 240hp.

GT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:

Includes 3.9L V6 (240HP), 18” Aluminum Painted Wheels, 6-Speed Manual Transmission,Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, Stabilitrak.

GT CONVERTIBLE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:

Includes 3.9L V6 (227HP), 18” Aluminum Ultrabright Wheels, Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, 4-Speed Automatic Transmission, Auto HVAC, Leather Front Heated Bucket Seats with 6-Way Power Driver’s Seat with Lumbar.

More changes to come.

Edited by CadillacCTS

That's good news, though it's disappointing that side torso airbags are still optional. The HF3.6 availability is too late to make much of a difference, and it's attached to a car that doesn't have much going for it.

Why is it that Nissan's normal V6 in the Altima is as powerful as GM's "Performance Division's" optional V6? And why can't the 6M be connected to the 3.6?

The G6 needs:

2.4 standard, 6A or 5M

3.6 with 250hp standard on V6 models, 6A or 6M

3.6 with DI and 290HP on GXP models, 6A or 6M

In reality, the G6 will have way too many engines:

2.4, 3.5, 3.9, 3.6, and the HO 3.9 in the GXP. It should be: 2.4, 3.6, 3.6 DI.

Why is it that Nissan's normal V6 in the Altima is as powerful as GM's "Performance Division's" optional V6? And why can't the 6M be connected to the 3.6?

The G6 needs:

2.4 standard, 6A or 5M

The engine information I put in was incorrect. I have fixed it above.

How many trims are there? Base, SE, GT and GTP? Where did SE come from?

It would be nice to have a 6-speed auto standard on all V6 models and side airbags available on all trims. GM does not seem to know what engines it wants in this car.

How many trims are there?  Base, SE, GT and GTP?  Where did SE come from?

It would be nice to have a 6-speed auto standard on all V6 models and side airbags available on all trims.  GM does not seem to know what engines it wants in this car.

Yes, that is how the models go now. SE is a new model. Side head curtain airbags are standard on all models. Just the seat side airbags are optional on all trims.

Remember that the G6 GXP concept is a *show car* and hasn't been confirmed for production yet. Normally, this would be a reason to complain, but consider this: The 3.9L got the extra HP through a K&N filter and exhaust tweaks. The original Bonneville GX/P got the same treatment on the SC3800, and as we all know the production GXP got the Northstar. What am I getting at? The engine in the GXP showcar very probably won't make it to production. With the 3.6L now in the GTP, it doesn't make sense to give the GXP a "inferior" (perception, not my opinion) OHV engine. I'd say the DI 3.6 looks much more likely.

They say "all models, exc. base and SE". That is like half or more of the volume. Just say ABS standard on GT/GTP".

True, plus ABS was always standard on GT and GTP. Nice to see a good deal of changes and upgrades. Nice to see side air bags standard but why not make the seat air bags standard too.Is ONSTAR standard now on higher trims or still an option? Hopefully GT will get nicer wheeels standard, the available chrome tech wheels are beautiful but they are a rip off. Edited by I hope GMRULES again

The 3.5 on the Aura gets 224hp. Sad that the 3.9 only cranks out 227 w/auto.

Yeah, probably gets much better fuel economy as well--considering the 3.5L in the Malibu gets about 32 hwy, and in the Impala is something like 30-31ish.

Sounds good but I wanted

Lower rear end

Plastic around center console that is part of dash replaced.

Those two thing would do worlds to me.

Oh and get the info stuff out of the radio and offer navigation.

Edited by rueben44

Pontiac has a romantic appeal, historically, and wood interior trim is a part of that. I say make alternative interior trims an option, but keep the woodgrain as a choice.

These are some substantive changes. Don'tcha hate it when you think you've picked out your next vehicle, then you read something about upcoming changes on a previous favorite that blows your decision away?

Edited by ocnblu

Pontiac has a romantic appeal, historically, and wood interior trim is a part of that.  I say make alternative interior trims an option, but keep the woodgrain as a choice.

I'm sorry but I don't feel any romanic appeal looking at the G6 or any other current Pontiacs, with the exception of the Solstice.

I thought the ABS thing has always been like that. Anything that isn't a base 4 or 6 has it.

And my guess was right. The current GTPs shifted down as GTs, and my base V6 is eliminated altogether and becomes GT, to an extent.

But something to note about the trim name:

GT Performance vs. GTP

Sounds confusing if you ask me :blink:

Don't they have something better?

Very interesting indeed, it didn't really make clear whether you could get a manual with the 3.6l. I have no problem with the 3.9l set aside from it's fairly miserable fuel economy. If it had DoD it would be a much easier sell in my mind. Besides, i think having a small displacement v8 with DoD would be a better move for GM instead of a fairly unremarkable v6 in terms of smoothness (more cylinders are smoother than less), power, efficiency, and consumer response.

Yes, that is how the models go now.  SE is a new model.  Side head curtain airbags are standard on all models.  Just the seat side airbags are optional on all trims.

I thought SE was always there, just an internal designation. In my manual my car's listed as G6 SE.

True, plus ABS was always standard on GT and GTP. Nice to see a good deal of changes and upgrades. Nice to see side air bags standard but why not make the seat air bags standard too.Is ONSTAR standard now on higher trims or still an option? Hopefully GT will get nicer wheeels standard, the available chrome tech wheels are beautiful but they are a rip off.

I thought more people liked the standard ones over the chrometechs. At least I am.

wow--its the 60's again! So many engines--4! Very odd---but I like it.

Nice to see the GT get an optional 3900. The curent 200hp GT is a joke--its slower then the last Grand Am GT!

Sure I'd like to see more use of the 6 speed auto though. The 227hp rating is disapointing though.....maybe thats an error??

Now this makes me curious as to the Malibu.....surely it will get a few changes.

Edited by avro206

I welcome these changes, but I think we can all agree that the G6 still has a long way to go. Would it be too much to ask for GM to get a car right from the start for once? All these engines and airbags and trim levels should've been available from the moment the G6 hit the showroom floor.

My beef is with the lack of a "GT i4" trim package, which would be fully loaded G6 but with the four-cylinder powerplant, along the lines of the Accord EX and Camry SE four cylinders.

Sounds like GM decided to get serious about the G6 afterall.  This could be the first step in GM deciding to rekindle the Pontiac flame.

Now if they only overhauled the interior...

One more: where's TAPshift?

Doesn't make sense for the Aura to get it and not the G6.

TAPshift is included with the six speed auto, I forgot to put that on the changes.

I find new things as I go through the order guides, because GM hasnt actually made a "whats new" section for the 07 G6 yet. So there could very well be changes to the interior. Here are a couple more changes I found:

• The wood in the G6 is still optional.

• Power adjustable pedals are now standard on GT and GTP.

• Remote vehicle start is now standard on GT and GTP.

• Leather steering wheel and radio controls are now standard on GT and GTP.

• OnStar is still optional. Not sure what happened to the whole standard OnStar thing.

Edited by CadillacCTS

I welcome these changes, but I think we can all agree that the G6 still has a long way to go. Would it be too much to ask for GM to get a car right from the start for once? All these engines and airbags and trim levels should've been available from the moment the G6 hit the showroom floor.

My beef is with the lack of a "GT i4" trim package, which would be fully loaded G6 but with the four-cylinder powerplant, along the lines of the Accord EX and Camry SE four cylinders.

Agreed, and Agreed. Couldn't put it better myself.

Here's some of my comments...

• The wood in the G6 is still optional.

Thank goodness. But can't they just get rid of it?

• Power adjustable pedals are now standard on GT and GTP.

Still auto only? Made a way to adjust the clutch as well?

• Remote vehicle start is now standard on GT and GTP.

Isn't in Canada it always has been that way, as long as the car is auto?

• Leather steering wheel and radio controls are now standard on GT and GTP.

Well, I still don't understand why they just make it standard througout the line already. Malibu can get get the plain jane stuff. Pontiac should be upscale.

• OnStar is still optional.  Not sure what happened to the whole standard OnStar thing.

But shouldn't the mounting hardware and equipment be in it already, since it has the turn by turn thing?

Edited by ToniCipriani

Who does the equipment specification? More importantly, why haven't they been fired? Why is ABS still optional and a V-6 no longer available on base models? Guess what made up the vast majority of sales? No, it wasn't the Base 4-cylinder, not around here anyway! Get rid of low-level models, this is Pontiac, not Chevrolet, but if they keep it up, there will be a fastback Malibu and not a G6 because there will be no Pontiac. And Blue-Gold Crystal sounds interesting, but isn't it supposed to be Blue-Green Crystal (aka Bermuda Blue Metallic 26U)? Ditch the Gih Value engines-they're nonsense-make it 2.8, 3.2, and 3.6-liter DOHC HF V-6's-that's it-the 2.8 would be a nice compromise stepup between Malibu and Aura (do three cars really need a 4-cylinder? Come on. Makes no sense!), and it would give it bragging rights against its Mazda 6 rival.

Who does the equipment specification? More importantly, why haven't they been fired? Why is ABS still optional and a V-6 no longer available on base models? Guess what made up the vast majority of sales? No, it wasn't the Base 4-cylinder, not around here anyway! Get rid of low-level models, this is Pontiac, not Chevrolet, but if they keep it up, there will be a fastback Malibu and not a G6 because there will be no Pontiac. And Blue-Gold Crystal sounds interesting, but isn't it supposed to be Blue-Green Crystal (aka Bermuda Blue Metallic 26U)? Ditch the Gih Value engines-they're nonsense-make it 2.8, 3.2, and 3.6-liter DOHC HF V-6's-that's it-the 2.8 would be a nice compromise stepup between Malibu and Aura (do three cars really need a 4-cylinder? Come on. Makes no sense!), and it would give it bragging rights against its Mazda 6 rival.

The GT is essentially a base V6. I'm pretty sure they're trying to do what they did with Chevy: base renamed LS, LS renamed LT, LT renamed LTZ, etc.

As I mentioned before, the GT and base V6 when fairly loaded are essentially the same, minus the seat cloth and transmission.

It makes sense to eliminate the base V6 (although I was stupid enough to buy one :rolleyes:).

Edited by ToniCipriani

Aura isn't offered with the 4-cylinder. At least not at the start.

It's hard to avoid lower-level Pontiacs... people buy them. Not to mention, Pontiac isn't exactly screaming excitement, nor does it hold resale value well--get rid of the low-level models, and you'll lose a lot of customers, not gain.

The G6 needs:

2.4 standard, 6A or 5M

I agree about too many engine choices.....but at least its a step in the right direction.

And I didn't notice that the 6M is not available with the HF V6.....tsk, tsk, tsk.....GM never learns, do they?

Did they modify the center stack?

The 3.5 on the Aura gets 224hp. Sad that the 3.9 only cranks out 227 w/auto.

I'm thinking that's a typo and 4-speed automatic cars get the 3.5L with 227hp (same engine as AURA) and the 6-speed manual cars get the 3.9L with 240hp (like they do now.)

I'm thinking that's a typo and 4-speed automatic cars get the 3.5L with 227hp (same engine as AURA) and the 6-speed manual cars get the 3.9L with 240hp (like they do now.)

The convertible only gets 227hp with the 3.9 and 4A right now. It was a complaint many members made (including myself), when it debuted a few months ago.

Yup... from the Pontiac website:

Engine & Power

* 3.5L 3500 V6 with 201 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque

* 3.9L 3900 V6 SFI with 227 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque

The convertible only gets 227hp with the 3.9 and 4A right now.  It was a complaint many members made (including myself), when it debuted a few months ago.

The torque argument makes sense by itself (yes, you'd want more torque for the extra weight), but in the overall picture, its stupid...

Why not use the 3.6l? It gets 250hp

Why not use the 3.5l? It gets 224hp on the Aura

Hell, use the 3800...at least it gets good mileage/emissions

As is, wtf, Pontiac?

Yup... from the Pontiac website:

Engine & Power

* 3.5L 3500 V6 with 201 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque

* 3.9L 3900 V6 SFI with 227 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque

Wondering: If the restriction is because of a certain beam that only exists in the convertible which causes a more restrictive exhaust setup, then why is only the 3.9L restricted, and not the 3.5L?

is the 3.9L going to disappear in the next 2 years? if it's to win the media and sales back fine, but will that be one of the shortest lived engines in the past 20 years? what maybe 3-4years?

Yes the power pedals are standard in Canada.  The order guide I got all of this information from is from GM Canada.

I guess you meant remote start. I didn't say pedals being standard.

Oh, and do the coupes mirror all the powertrain of the sedans? Any sighting of a 4-cylinder coupe?

is the 3.9L going to disappear in the next 2 years?  if it's to win the media and sales back fine, but will that be one of the shortest lived engines in the past 20 years?  what maybe 3-4years?

What would make you say the 3900 is going to disappear? Have you heard something to that effect?