Sign in to follow this  
dfelt

All Time 10 Ugliest Auto's

38 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,769

G. David Felt

Alternative Fuel Reporter

CNBC.com just released their 10 Ugliest Auto's of all time list.

aab7427a-29b5-4859-84fe-008b084a26ba_10-

While concepts can WOW people and start a long life money maker like the Mustang. There are others that just leave people flat with the "What Happened?" attitude. Some of these models have been vindicated later down the road and other have just become a history footnote in a book.

While i will list the 10 auto's here, Review the complete list at this site with their explanation and then sound off on whether you agree or disagree and why for this Top 10 Ugliest List.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-ugliest-cars-of-all-time-231104344.html

10 Ugliest Auto's

1958 Edsel Corsair

1960 Plymouth Valiant1965 AMC Marlin

1970 AMC Gremlin

1978 Mercury Zephyr

1982 Aston Martin Lagonda

1990 Pontiac Trans Sport

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS

2001 Pontiac Aztek

2002 Isuzu Axiom

List out your top 10 and tell us why.

Intrepidation    846

Pfft...amateurs. My Top 20

SsangYong Rodius

ku-large.jpg

Ford Scorpio

motoring-graphics-2_842461a.jpg

Mitsuoka Orochi

ku-large.jpg

Weber Sportscar Faster One

ku-large.jpg

Citroen Ami

citroen-ami.jpg

Cadillac Seville

cadillac-seville.jpg

Fiat Multipla

fiat-multipla.jpg

Nissan Cube

new-2012-nissan-cube-5drwgni4cvt18swagon

Jeep Compass

07_Jeep_Compass_25.jpg

Mohs Ostentatienne Opera

Mohs_Ostentatienne_Opera_Sedan.jpg

Acura ZDX

12-zdx-hero.jpg

Toyota Echo

2005-toyota-echo_100030732_m.jpg

Hyundai Tiburon

2001_hyundai_tiburon_2dr-hatchback_base_

Honda Crosstour

2010_Honda_Accord_Crosstour_front342_alt

Nissan Juke

79909973-2bb9-4c21-be18-4462d91673f9_zps

VW 181

volkswagen-vw-181-07.jpg

Ford Taurus

1997_Ford_Taurus_1.jpg

`62 Dodge Dart

56967-500-0.jpg?rev=8

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

98eb32fe-a4dc-4f23-bbcd-b068db6a76d9_zps

Suzuki X-90

75208_suzuki_x90.jpg

And the Bonus, Pontiac Aztek

4pontiac_aztec.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, my retinas hurt.

ocnblu    733

Dodgefan is wielding his spoon on a couple of those.

riviera74    173

A 1980 Cadillac Seville is UGLY?! WTF?! You CANNOT be serious.

As for the rest of the list (both of them), I could not agree more about those exterior turds on wheels. N.B. The 2001 Trans Am looks way too butch to be a car (and is somewhat misshapen).

Intrepidation    846

2001 Trans Am?

Seriously?

Sorry Camino, but I've never been a fan of bulbous plastic. I'm not really a fan of the 4th gens in general, what with their tiny looking wheelbase relative to the massive overhangs that would shame a W-Body, but at least the earlier ones didn't look like they suffered from cancerous swelling.

253505d1284427355-f-s-1997-trans-am-ws6-

Camino LS6    866

2001 Trans Am?

Seriously?

Sorry Camino, but I've never been a fan of bulbous plastic. I'm not really a fan of the 4th gens in general, what with their tiny looking wheelbase relative to the massive overhangs that would shame a W-Body, but at least the earlier ones didn't look like they suffered from cancerous swelling.

253505d1284427355-f-s-1997-trans-am-ws6-

While I much prefer the looks of a Formula over the T/A, I just can't imagine putting a 4th gen F-body on the ugly list.

post-394-0-31582500-1363994906_thumb.jpg

Camino LS6    866

Well that's why I specified the year and model, the rest aren't nearly so bad, but that mess on the front is just hideous. It's just my opinion. :P

We have some common ground there - I never liked the "double-decker nostrils" on the WS6.

Intrepidation    846

The Isuzu Axiom was quite nice looking.

Yeah it wasn't bad. It's problem was it was teh opposite of what people wanted in a crossover. It was a truck that looked like a car and drove like a truck, not a car that looked like a truck and drove car-like.

Sorry Drew, I've hated those things since their debut.

They look like they were rear-ended by a bus.

Or the back end was sliced off by a guillotine.

Drew Dowdell    4,988

I think it is a period appropriate styling direction and one of the most regal and expensive looking luxury cars of the day... surpassing even its contemporary Rolls, Bentley, and Benz competition. Of course, this is a visual assessment only as the 4100 V8 was such a supreme let down in these cars even the 350 diesel is a step up for them.

• Upvote 1

No ugly car list is complete w/o the '48 Tucker..a hideous beast. Or the '61 Plymouths and '61 Dodges, which had ugly front ends with weird reversed fins out back.

Camino LS6    866

I think it is a period appropriate styling direction and one of the most regal and expensive looking luxury cars of the day... surpassing even its contemporary Rolls, Bentley, and Benz competition. Of course, this is a visual assessment only as the 4100 V8 was such a supreme let down in these cars even the 350 diesel is a step up for them.

To each his own.

I see those cars as ostentatious, over-gilt design disasters front to awful rear. They were the sad and misguided replacement for one of Cadillac's cleanest, most tasteful designs.

NeonLX    40

Y'know, the Gremlin and Pacer are such easy targets. I've grown weary of "experts" taking cheap shots at them. I happen to like both of them. I owned them as well. Great powertrains--AMC's rugged inline six backed up by a Torqueflite auto tranny (except my '77 Gremlin had a 3-on-the-floor).

Edited by NeonLX
  • Upvote 1

dfelt    1,769

The Tucker is an awesome car, I would never have it on my ugly list.

NeonLX    40

I loved the first-gen (1970s) Seville. I mean, LOVED it. The car had marvelous proportions and its simplicity was part of its elegance. I hated when they get turded up with the fake RR grille or "landau" roof.

The second gen Seville, on the other hand...well, I wouldnt call it Nissan Juke-ugly, but it was disappointing after the first-gen (FWD not withstanding).

Hate to say it, but the bustle-back thing seemed to work better (at least a little) on the 1981-'83 Imperial coupe. I also liked the front styling of that gen of Imperial.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:08 PM
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Rip Off or Compliment?

Today MSN Auto asked and posted the following pictures on what people thought about one OEM auto company copying another OEM Auto company. This is very common in China where independent Chinese auto companies pretty much buy and clone every part in a established brand and sell it with no recourse or intellectual protection from the government for the name brands in comparison to markets like Europe and the US.

69 Mustang versus 73 Toyota Celica
          Bentley versus Lincoln    
      Hummer Versus Dongfeng who still makes this Hummer rip off and sells to the Chinese military.

Land Rover Versus Landwind

Rolls Royce versus Geely

Mercedes-Benz versus Kia

Porsche versus Nissan

So what are your thoughts? Should China enforce protecting intellectual property rights, should these companies have to pay for ripping off designs from other companies?

How do you feel about it?
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Worst Used Cars

Compare.com reviewed the insurance industry reports on auto's, accidents, quality reports and much more to build a 5 point list on used auto's and what NOT to buy.

The break down comes as follows:

1) Trade-Ins Dealers DO NOT WANT: 
      Mini Cooper Jaguar S-Type Land Rover Discovery Mazda CX-7 This is due to the high failure rate of the power-trains.

2) Dealers DO NOT WANT brands that are no longer made, unless they are limited production versions, but for sure they do not want the following:
      PT Cruiser Dodge Grand Caravan SAAB Suzuki Saturn 3) Dealers do not want cars with HIGH COST OF OWNERSHIP:
      Example given is 2010 Ford Focus with a cost of owner ship in first 5yrs of $27,805. 4) Dealers DO NOT WANT auto's with no title.

5) Dealers DO NOT WANT auto's with Funky smells such as:
      Gasoline Smell Burning Smell Sweet Smell Mildew Smell Smoke Smell So what do you think? Do you agree with this or not?
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
      www.CheersandGears.com

Top 10 Least Reliable Cars

Consumers Report published their annual best and worst reliable cars. If your wanting to look at the best go here Reliable Cars.

For this story, you could watch the videos and dive through the mountain of spreadsheets that consumers reports has for their data, but MSN Auto helped out by focusing on the top 10 least reliable cars and here is their list. The predicted reliability score was 125% below that of the average car. 

#1 - Scion xB 125% below the average auto
      #2 - Mercedes-Benz S-Class 127% below average
      #3 - Infiniti Q50 127% below average
      #4 - Jeep Grand Cherokee (Diesel) 134% below average
      #5 - Dodge Dart 140% below average
      #6 - Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T 143% below average
      #7 - Nissan Pathfinder 154% below average
      #8 - Ford Fiesta 162% below average
      #9 - Jeep Cherokee (4-cyl) 176% below average
      #10 - Fiat 500L 219% below average

The issues seem to be focused on either the power train, suspension such as the active system in the S-Class from Mercedes-Benz or electrical.

The one area that no car seemed to really have issues with is the body / paint jobs.

So the question to be asked here is as follows:

Are we building auto's to complex for our own good?
      Do we really need all these electronics in an auto?
      Do we really need all the sophisticated power train variables?
      Would it be better to focus on a more radical jump in autos by setting a dead line to move away from fossil fuel auto's to EV or Hydrogen?

The questions can be endless and I hope this gets you to start thinking about what is important to you. One thing is for sure, some of these auto's will not be on my list for shopping, others would be such as the Cheverolet Cruze which got knocked for drive shaft / axel seals and GM has addressed this according to GM's web site.

What are your thoughts on this list? Is it right or is Consumers reports to critical?
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
      www.CheersandGears.com

GM Sued by Arizone
      The case is State of Arizona vs General Motors LLC, Case No. CV2014-014090, the Superior Court of the State of Arizona, County of Maricopa.

Arizona has come out stating that the Reborn GM is not innocent but a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The state attorney general has stated that GM hid all these defects and continues to hide behind the bankruptcy. Arizona states that with 60 serious defects affecting 27 million auto's on the road in the US, that they need to pay 3 Billion Dollars to Arizona for Defrauding their consumers.

Arizona wants $10,000 per violation for every auto since their consumers have been driving unsafe auto's.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/arizona-sues-gm-saying-it-hid-safety-defects/ar-BBeNLsG?ocid=ansnewsreu11
    • By dfelt
      Yahoo, reprinted a story by "The Street" that covers the top 10 WORST auto's ever in the world. Seems 8 of the top 10 are right here in the US.
      Look at the 10 and tell me if you agree. They start by saying #10 is the 1979 Oldmobile Station wagon Diesel and end with the #1 worst Pontiac Aztek.
      The pictures are in the order of the story. Their justification is interesting. Some of it I do feel is personal experiance versus actual fact, but each person is entitled to their opinion.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-worst-cars-of-all-time-revisited-012257791.html;_ylt=Al5rVgaNjh2_MKSMECEr4nImhvZ_;_ylc=X3oDMTduaWFhdTdlBF9TAzIxNDY4NjI2MzAEYWN0A3RpdGxlBGN0A3NsaWRlc2hvdyAoZW1iZWRkZWQpBGVkAzEEaW50bAN1cwRpdGMDMARscG9zAzIEbWNvZGUDQWdCVExiWVFBRjBXRUFCY1FCQUFTVnNRQUFLRwRtaWQDdGQEbXBvcwMxBHBrZwNpZC0zNDY3ODE0BHBrZ3QDMQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDdGQtZmVhBHNsawMxMCB3b3JzdCBjYXJzIGV2ZXIgbWFkZQR0YXIDaHR0cDovL2F1dG9zLnlhaG9vLmNvbQR0ZXN0AwR2ZXJzaW9uA2xlZ28Ed29lAzIzOTc0MjY-;_ylg=X3oDMTE5bXFkMXMyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDcG1o
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online