William Maley

New York Auto Show: 2014 Cadillac CTS

67 posts in this topic

William Maley    394

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 26, 2013

We've seen the pictures and learned about the powertrain, now GM is spilling the beans on the new 2014 Cadillac CTS tonight.

Design of the new CTS is a further refinement of Cadillac's Art & Science design language that has been soldering on for decade now. The front end features a grille that is reminiscent of the Ciel concept, strips of LED lights running along the outer edge of headlights, and long, low hood. The side profile has character lines the run all the way that start at the front bumper and continue unbroken to the rear.

Dimensionally, the new CTS is about five inches longer, has a one inch longer wheelbase, and is lower by about 0.8 inch than the outgoing model. More impressive is that the base CTS has a curb weight of just 3,616 lbs; that's only 250 lbs lighter than the outgoing model. V6 models weigh only 175 heavier.

This weight loss is due in part to the extensive use of aluminum in the CTS. The model features aluminum doors, front bumper beam, rear suspension cradle, and aluminum brake calipers. Other weight saving tricks include varying the thickness of the B-pillar sheetmetal and removing bits of metal in between the spot wells.

Inside the CTS, Cadillac is stepping up the levels of customization. No fewer than eight different color schemes will be available, with trim featuring real wood, real aluminum or real carbon fiber. All of that trim can be swapped by dealer if you're getting tired of the trim you currently have. All CTS models will have Cadillac User Experience (CUE) as standard equipment.

Power for the CTS comes in three different engine choices:

• 2.0L Turbo-Four: 272 horsepower, 295 pound-feet of torque
  • 3.6L DI V6: 321 horsepower, 275 pound-feet
  • 3.6L TT V6: 420 horsepower, 430 pound-feet
The 2.0T gets a six-speed automatic and the two V6s get an eight-speed automatic. All-wheel drive is available for the 2.0T and 3.6L V6 (which gets trades its eight-speed for a six-speed).

The 3.6 TT V6 gets a special trim level called Vsport. Vsport will feature eighteen-inch wheels, quicker steering ratio, Brembo brakes front and rear, a Track mode for the transmission, heavy-duty cooling system, electronic limited slip differential, and Cadillac's Magnetic Ride Control active suspension.

The 2014 Cadillac CTS arrives at dealers this fall.

Source: Cadillac

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

Lamar    72

3,616 pounds? For the sake of reference, the current Malibu LTZ 2.0T weighs 3660 lbs.

I honestly cannot find any objective problems with the car just yet. Cut weight from the previous car, will share platforms to save GM some cash, firmly distanced away from the ATS, highly class-competitive powertrain offerings... I'm still not 100% on the rear design, but that's not objective. That's just me.

Bring on the reviews!

Also, in b4 SMK complains about it still not being a Mercedes.

dfelt    1,782

So far based on what I have read and seen in pictures I like this car from all sides. I do not like how they keep getting lower and lower to the ground as that really makes it harder for us tall guys to get in and out without doing deep squats all day long.

I love the variety of interiors.

My Beef, All the NANNY Devices they are incorporating into the auto's. This I feel is still WRONG!

Why WRONG you ask, simple. if you do not like to drive, take the freakin bus, taxi or have someone else drive who will pay attention. Having a auto that will try to sense and force you to accept when it brakes, etc I see causing more accidents than preventing. Computers can still not respond as fast as the human brain and I want the auto to do what I want, not what some GOV is telling it to do.

If there is no way to turn off these stupid NANNY devices, then my ability to buy newer auto's will come to an end.

New auto quality is at it's best ever, but then also is the complete discard it when someone hits you. All this aluminum will tend to cause these cars to be sent to the shredder and I think we will find less and less older auto's on the roads in the future.

I agree with Dodgefan, I do think that Caddy has hit this one out of the ballpark. I hope this is a trend that will continue with all new auto introductions from them.

All I can say is holy crap is this thing awesome. I think they really nailed what they need to be going after. Easily competitive with Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-Series.

• Upvote 2

regfootball    234

no stick? ............. 8 speed only with RWD? both fails in an otherwise spectacular package.......

3600 pound weight is quite exceptional, although to be fair, if the Epsilon were as rigorously engineered gram per gram as the Alpha chassis, they would be able to trim the weight of that down to about 3300 or so.......

smk4565    323

The weight is really good, although I'd like to see what a V6 with equipment on it weighs too. Overall I think it is very good, I don't like the headlights or a bland rear end, or the center stack with the Volt-like buttons but all Cadillacs have it now. It is good that they have 8 interior colors.

The 8-speed should be on every engine, but maybe next year. They need a diesel too.

Interesting that it is 4.2 inches longer and only 1.2 inch longer wheelbase, it should be the reverse. The new CTS is Hyundai Genesis length, that is pretty big, if it has Genesis level interior room it will have more than the XTS.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

I'll wait for the numbers, but the XTS feels larger inside front to back, width is where it may lose ground.

The CTS is amazing in the flesh. I don't see the rear as bland but as a nod to 1967.

balthazar    1,882

^ An excellent point.

However, the rear treatments on MOST cars are rather bland. mercedees, BMW, audi; Snorefests, all series.
Yes, I am thinking of the tailfin era, where both ends had the hardware to delight & entertain. Not that I expect tailfins (real tailfins) to return... but a return to a similar effort of styling would be nice. I'm just not sure there's much that can be done.

I'll wait for the numbers, but the XTS feels larger inside front to back, width is where it may lose ground. The CTS is amazing in the flesh. I don't see the rear as bland but as a nod to 1967.

Judging by the live pics of the red car @ Jalopnik I agree completely. That rear end is much more detailed and intricate than the Jalop-leaks indicated, I knew it had to be. Bear in mind that the back end of the leaked car was silver, which hides these kinds of things. I'm overall even more impressed with the styling in the live pics. That front end looks like the front end of a transcontinental locomotive compared to the daintier faces of the BMW and Audi and the rear end has much more imagination and detailng than the E-.

Intrepidation    846

I think they could have done a bit more with the rear end. Specifically the taillights. I liked how the ELR's extended into the quarter panel and formed the car's primary character line.

cadillac-elr-converj.jpg?w=630

With that said I just saw real world photos of a red on on the show floor, and as usual, GM's $h!ty press photos don't do the car justice.

regfootball    234

I'll wait for the numbers, but the XTS feels larger inside front to back, width is where it may lose ground. The CTS is amazing in the flesh. I don't see the rear as bland but as a nod to 1967.

That's because the XTS has Epsilon's disease (lack of girth).

Should be interesting the girth difference between the narrow ATS and the CTS (semi-platform mates)

smk4565    323

The CTS's interior dimensions as far as head, shoulder, leg room are with in an inch of the XTS, XTS wins most of the categories. The big difference is the XTS has 5 inches more rear seat leg room, I am surprised it is that much since the CTS has a longer wheelbase.

Overall this new car looks way better than the current, I liked the first CTS, the 2nd gen looked fat and bulky, this one has sleek proportions back. It will be interesting to see how it sells and what happens to XTS sales.

balthazar    1,882

It will be interesting to see how it sells and what happens to XTS sales.

By your own emphatic definition, it is impossible for the CTS & XTS to appeal to the same consumer, as one is FWD & the other RWD (when either is not AWD).

Lamar    72

The CTS's interior dimensions as far as head, shoulder, leg room are with in an inch of the XTS, XTS wins most of the categories. The big difference is the XTS has 5 inches more rear seat leg room, I am surprised it is that much since the CTS has a longer wheelbase.

Overall this new car looks way better than the current, I liked the first CTS, the 2nd gen looked fat and bulky, this one has sleek proportions back. It will be interesting to see how it sells and what happens to XTS sales.

For comparison's sake, Infiniti G37 has a longer wheelbase than the Nissan Maxima, but the latter is much roomier inside, especially in the back. Longer RWD wheelbases often show their length in the engine compartment rather than in the cabin (hence, proportionately longer hoods and shorter front overhangs).

ocnblu    733

It's a great looking machine, with authority that Cadillac should have.

• Upvote 1

hyperv6    774

Why are we even speaking of the XTS here? The XTS is here for a reason and to do a job that is different from this car. Same for the coming LTS.

The CTS is a bonified home run and the only negative I expect is that some will complain that there may not be more room in the back seat or some nit pick like this.

The Key here is the weight as they made a slightly larger car and cut weight. Killing weight is something that will add performance in ways a more powerful engine can not and will not do on its own. This bodes well for coming Alpha Products like the Camaro and possible Buick More power adds so much to handling and braking that this car will be shocking in its performance even outside the V series.

Now as long as they address the little details like shifters and have the fixed Cue system this car should be the one to have. I just hope they took to heart the little things that held them up just a bit on the ATS. They nearly got that perfect but just lacked a couple small detail.

By the complaints from the BMW and Benz crowed I suspect they are concerned. You never heard them critic a Cadillac in so much detail and in mostly subjective areas as in the last day.

This car also shows unless Lincoln has something different soon in a platform they will have lost even more ground. I feel they may be left to Buick to thrash out for sales here in America.

smk4565    323

The best thing is that Cadillac now has a car sized and prices like a 3-series and a car sized and priced like a 5-series, although the CTS is sized more like a Jag XF. They have needed this for years and the CTS trying to split the gap wasn't working.

I don't know if making it bigger was the right move (but maybe it will be) the new CTS is about STS size, and will likely be priced like the STS. The STS-DTS duo didn't work, that is why they are both gone, Cadillac is recreating that in a way here, but this car is executed better than the STS.

Lexus is who needs to worry, that GS is terrible, and the Infiniti M looks like a gawdy Maxima. The Germans will be fine.

smk4565    323

Here is a Wall Street Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324789504578382260127618472.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

It is a bit critical but it does point out how Cadillac faces the same problems they did when the 03 CTS came out, this car seems more up to the task of going against the Germans, where the last 2 generations didn't make a dent in their armor, in fact Audi's market share has more than doubled since the 2004.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Equinox, Acadia, Envision and XT5 Achieve Best July Ever
      Crossover and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for best monthly mix ever July incentive spending as a percentage of ATP below industry average, driving ATPs up nearly $1,000 Commercial sales up 40 percent for best July since 2007 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported July U.S. retail sales of 202,220 vehicles, down about 14 percent from strong sales in July 2016. In July, GM’s crossovers and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for the company’s best monthly mix ever.
      While the U.S. market continues to moderate, sales of GM’s newest crossovers were strong in July:
      Chevrolet Equinox - up 4 percent for its best July ever. Chevrolet Bolt EV – 1,832 Bolts were sold in July for the best month ever. August will be the first month the Bolt EV is available on a national basis. GMC Acadia - up 30 percent for its best July ever. Buick Envision - up 89 percent for its best July ever. Cadillac XT5 - up 6 percent for its best July ever. GM’s July incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 11.5 percent, more than 1 full percentage point below the industry average, and 0.5 percentage points below GM’s 2016 calendar year average. Some of GM’s competitors, without strong truck and crossover businesses, are offering significantly higher incentives across their entire portfolios, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates.
      In addition, GM’s ATPs were about $36,000, up nearly $1,000 from July 2016.
      “We have strategically decided to reduce car production rather than increase incentive spending or dump vehicles into daily rental fleets, like some of our competitors,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations.  “We are working hard to protect the residual values of our new products and growing quality retail and commercial sales, and July’s ATPs reflect that discipline.”
      GM’s U.S. commercial vehicles sales were up 40 percent from last July, the best July since 2007, led by strong large van sales (up 89 percent), small utilities (up 61 percent) and large pickup sales (up 21 percent).  Year to date, GM commercial sales are up 11 percent. U.S. daily rental sales were down more than 11,200 vehicles or 81 percent in July, as planned. In July, GM’s daily rental sales accounted for only 1 percent of GM’s total sales.  GM continues to have the lowest U.S. rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 7 percent of total sales year to date.    
      GM’s July total sales were 226,107 vehicles, down about 15 percent from strong levels last year.
      “Changing customer tastes have driven us to refocus our business on higher margin, faster growing segments, like the crossover segments. We are launching the most all-new crossovers in our history to take full advantage of the changes occurring in the U.S. marketplace,” added McNeil. “Our newest crossovers are performing very well in the marketplace and we’ll build on that momentum with the all-new Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave and the introduction of the Regal TourX through the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. auto sales continue to moderate from last year’s record pace, but key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate the second half of 2017 will be much stronger than the first half.”
      July Brand Retail Highlights (vs. July 2016 unless noted)       
      Chevrolet
      Colorado was up 22 percent. Both Camaro and Cruze were up slightly. Crossovers best year to date: Equinox, Traverse and Trax. Volt has best year to date. Volt and Bolt EV July sales combined for more than 3,300 deliveries. Silverado LD double cab was up 4 percent. Buick
      Best year to date retail sales since 2005, up 2 percent. July ATPs are highest since December 2015. SUV mix is highest ever at 85 percent. GMC
      ATPs are the highest ever, up 8 percent from last July. Sierra boasts the highest ATPs in the full-size pickup segment. Sierra HDs up 6 percent in July and year to date up 9 percent, the best in a decade Yukon up 4 percent. Yukon had its best July since 2007. Cadillac
      CT6 up 7 percent. Year to date, XT5 retail sales are up 10 percent vs. combined SRX and XT5 sales a year ago. July ATPs up more than $3,000 and lead the luxury market and more than $3,000 higher than its closest competitor. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 at or below last year’s level, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. Pickup, crossovers and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of 2017 vs. the first half of the year. We continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's sedan lineup in the future is going to look much smaller. Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen told Reuters in an interview that the ATS, CTS, and XTS will not be directly replaced when their lifecycles end in 2019. A new model called the CT5 will take their place and cost between $35,000 and $45,000.
      "We have to rebalance our sedan portfolio," de Nysschen.
      The CT6 will take care of the top end, while a new small luxury sedan (possibly named CT4) will handle the low end.
      de Nysschen reiterated plans of Cadillac building out their crossover lineup with the XT4 launching in 2019. de Nysschen also mentioned that Cadillac could be launching a range of electric vehicles in the latter half of the next decade.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's sedan lineup in the future is going to look much smaller. Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen told Reuters in an interview that the ATS, CTS, and XTS will not be directly replaced when their lifecycles end in 2019. A new model called the CT5 will take their place and cost between $35,000 and $45,000.
      "We have to rebalance our sedan portfolio," de Nysschen.
      The CT6 will take care of the top end, while a new small luxury sedan (possibly named CT4) will handle the low end.
      de Nysschen reiterated plans of Cadillac building out their crossover lineup with the XT4 launching in 2019. de Nysschen also mentioned that Cadillac could be launching a range of electric vehicles in the latter half of the next decade.
      Source: Reuters
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)