Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

On 12/4/2020 at 5:27 AM, ocnblu said:

I'm having a hard time staying in here, the site constantly directs me to a page stating that my "email address is no longer accepting mail.  Please enter a new email address to continue."  Then it asks me if I'm a robot.

I also think there's something wrong with my mouse, it wants to double click when I single click.  Could they be related?

This took me like 10 tries to post.

I manually approved your email change, but let me know if it comes back.  If the system detects that you have an email bounce, it flags your account and forces you to change your email.   I'm having a bit of trouble with the plug-in that manages this and have submitted a ticket to have it looked at.  Please let me know if you continue to have issues (I suspect you will)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Go with the extra cost for the Electric @ccap41, you'll make it up over the next bunch of years.

I bought a craftsman gas powered mower when I bought my house back in 2003. Briggs engine, self propelled, mulcher/bagger, the whole kit.

The first 5ish years were fine. After that it started costing $50 - $90 a year in parts just to keep it running.  Then you have to go out and get gas for it... it's a huge hassle. It was never enough to justify replacing it, but enough to be annoying on a weekend when I was trying to get things done and had to go get a part.

When Albert's parents moved out of their house into an apartment a bunch of years ago, I got his dad's old Black and Decker corded pushmower. It's likely the same age as my Craftsman was, but I just threw it into storage at one of my apartment buildings and forgot about it for years.

Eventually the Craftsman just got too irritating to deal with, so I put it out to the curb and went and got the electric.  The thing is as basic as basic can be, but it just runs.  I don't have to get gas, I don't have to change air filters, I don't have to change oil.... plus its very light weight.  

Eventually I'll need to get a battery electric because I want to bring my lower yard back from the wilderness and plant grass down there, but the B&D suits my needs just fine until I do. 

Oh I've already been convinced of battery powered yard tools. The upsides to them over gas and 2-stroke tools is tenfold. 

I'm still rocking an old Cub Cadet from probably around 2000 for the lawn as I don't have a garage built yet so I'm not buying anything nice to leave out back. Plus, I'm still not sure what I want to get for the lawn. As of now, there is no electric version I'd want but I've heard rumors of some larger zero turn battery powered mowers. 

I just want an electric push mower because I also enjoy walking the yard and would probably like to do that every other mow, at least. Thanks to @David, now I'm torn between EGO, Toro, and Husqvarna. The Ego line seems to be quite a bit more though so I may still go with one of the other two. 

Toro's line of string trimmer, leaf blower, and mower end up $921 at Home Depot

Egos line of string trimmer, leaf blower, and mower end op $1177 at Lowes.

Those specific Ego tools are sllllightly better than the comparable Toro ones and the mower comes with a 7.5ah battery compared to Toro's 6.0ah. 

• Thanks 1

When I first got my house, I had a manual reel mower (big surprise with me, right?). A Clemson, out of Middletown NY, and an excellent machine for it's time (it's probably from the '40s-50s- still have it). I blew it apart, painted/lubed/sharpened it. They cut grass better than any rotary mower because they scissor it. However, they do not like crabgrass or other heavy weedy stuff.
Then I borrowed my FIL's corded electric. Corded mowers are a really lousy compromise. It wasn't exactly 'quiet', but it's main drawback (besides the cord) was it was weak- it didn't process the heavy stuff any better than the reel mower.
Since then (I've been in my house 28 years), I've had 2 Craftsman B&S mowers. I put 1 blade on the first one, but eventually the deck rusted out. This 2nd one I put one new blade on it, and the pull-cord broke so it's only like a foot long. No problem.
I should add I have a fairly shaded lot and I don't mow all that often.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

When I first got my house, I had a manual reel mower (big surprise with me, right?). A Clemson, out of Middletown NY, and an excellent machine for it's time (it's probably from the '40s-50s- still have it). I blew it apart, painted/lubed/sharpened it. They cut grass better than any rotary mower because they scissor it. However, they do not like crabgrass or other heavy weedy stuff.
Then I borrowed my FIL's corded electric. Corded mowers are a really lousy compromise. It wasn't exactly 'quiet', but it's main drawback (besides the cord) was it was weak- it didn't process the heavy stuff any better than the reel mower.
Since then (I've been in my house 28 years), I've had 2 Craftsman B&S mowers. I put 1 blade on the first one, but eventually the deck rusted out. This 2nd one I put one new blade on it, and the pull-cord broke so it's only like a foot long. No problem.

Reel mowers are for the dedicated and for those wanting putting green-like yards. Powered ones are also extremely expensive. They cut at fractions of an inch, like 1/4 in. 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, USA-1 said:

I read about this over the weekend. Cadillac dealer buddy of mine here in AZ said there is a TON of push back from all 880 current dealers who are not happy. It really is ridiculous. No reason they can't offer both EV and ICE pushing for all EV by 2030 is overly ambitious of GM top brass. They just know there is more margin made per unit with less assembly and maintenance to deal with, but not everyone is onboard with it. I think it will alienate many diehard Cadillac fans, the V cars are so impressive, they can easily equal or take down the German rivals in performance and build quality.   

I read a little more into it than what is on the surface. Cadillac has 880 dealers. BMW has ~350 and Benz has around ~360.  I think this whole move is Cadillac trying to cull dead weight in the most palatable way possible.  They can always "extend" a model run later with no consequences. 

• Agree 2

Benz has 383.

The way I look at it- GM sells vehicles to dealers. They get their money up front, they get the destination money to ship it... and the longer a dealer has a given vehicle on their lot, the longer GM takes to give that dealer it's sales kickback ('withholding'). Having a quantity of "under-performing" dealers is no skin off GM's back. But undoubtedly there are more subtleties to it; perhaps simplification of logistics and record-keeping, IDK. But a dealership's profit/loss has no direct impact on GM Corporate.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I read a little more into it than what is on the surface. Cadillac has 880 dealers. BMW has ~350 and Benz has around ~360.  I think this whole move is Cadillac trying to cull dead weight in the most palatable way possible.  They can always "extend" a model run later with no consequences. 

For sure, and there are many Chevrolet/Cadillac dealers that piggy back dealerships and I think GM wants to separate them and have Cadillac stand alone. It's something MB and BMW can't do because they have no Chevrolet equivalent and it's something the VW/Audi model didn't emulate. I used to work at a large Chev/Cad. dealership back in the late 90's, the Cadillac dealership had it's own boutique style dealership on the same lot right next to the huge Chevy dealership. It was kind of strange, but it was GM's sales model back then. It was pretty comical as well because the Cadillac sales guys who were certified with GM to sell Cadillac (which is still required today) would say "if you can fog a mirror you can sell a Chevrolet". It's pretty accurate though. 

In today's highly competitive automotive market GM's strategy has definitely changed. GM is planning on Cadillac's model lineup to be fully EV by 2030, so they are planning full retooling at the Cadillac factories, and most Cad cars and CUV's will probably be built at Factory ZERO the old Detroit Hamtramck factory. 

@ccap41I can't say anything about other brands but EGO stuff I am using is very good.  Initially I bought a lawn mower and than slowly when it was on sale I got trimmer, hedge trimmer, weed wacker and the chain saw.  I have only two batteries, bigger one that came with the mower and a smaller one that came with one of the tools (rest of the tools I bought without the battery, much cheaper that way).  I can't attest how all of that works for the long run but in two years I have been using it was great, good quality tools.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

You can't cut your way to prosperity though. 

This is the rare case that one actually can.  Supporting a bloat of excess dealers is costly, both for the dealers and for Cadillac. Here in the greater Pittsburgh metro I can only think of 4 BMW dealers and 4 Mercedes dealers. Cadillac has 10.

Those 10 Cadillac dealers not only have to compete with the Germans, but also with each other.  That means a race to the bottom on prices.

Fewer Cadillac dealers will be able to charge higher prices without people saying "I'll just go up the street".

And yes, I know Cadillac has a higher average transaction price, but there is a lot of overhead to run 10 dealers instead of 4.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This is the rare case that one actually can.  Supporting a bloat of excess dealers is costly, both for the dealers and for Cadillac. Here in the greater Pittsburgh metro I can only think of 4 BMW dealers and 4 Mercedes dealers. Cadillac has 10.

Those 10 Cadillac dealers not only have to compete with the Germans, but also with each other.  That means a race to the bottom on prices.

Fewer Cadillac dealers will be able to charge higher prices without people saying "I'll just go up the street".

And yes, I know Cadillac has a higher average transaction price, but there is a lot of overhead to run 10 dealers instead of 4.

Good to know. 

Nice Chevy truck...

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

We had a push style reel mower for years...previous house with a smaller yard.

For what it's worth...would rather have the Truck than a Ferrari. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

My uncle Stanley’s list of autos. Back when brand loyalty was fairly common & strong. He passed in ‘86; the ‘76 was his last and the only one I saw. Wish he had kept the ‘58 & ‘59. 

EEE21702-CDA5-4479-A8A7-006A93DEAEE7.jpeg

The man definitely had a type. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, ykX said:

@ccap41I can't say anything about other brands but EGO stuff I am using is very good.  Initially I bought a lawn mower and than slowly when it was on sale I got trimmer, hedge trimmer, weed wacker and the chain saw.  I have only two batteries, bigger one that came with the mower and a smaller one that came with one of the tools (rest of the tools I bought without the battery, much cheaper that way).  I can't attest how all of that works for the long run but in two years I have been using it was great, good quality tools.

That's what's almost "unfortunate" because they do appear to make very good stuff, top of the line electric products, but they're priced that way, too. I also really like they have the "power head" system but it's really expensive, $400 to get it with one attachment. 

46 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I know Cadillac has a higher average transaction price, but there is a lot of overhead to run 10 dealers instead of 4.

Cadillac doesn't run any dealerships; GM hasn't had corporate stores in like 50 years.
What is GM's financial outlay for a dealership franchise?

47 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Cadillac doesn't run any dealerships; GM hasn't had corporate stores in like 50 years.

True, but culling dealerships is still expensive since STATE agency laws require compensation to shutter a franchise these days. 

Eleven years ago, about 900 dealerships were shuttered for good because of the last recession.  All of them were GM/Ford/Chrysler dealerships.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I didn’t say GM did run the stores. I’m saying the sales are spread thin over 10 stores compared to Benz with 4. That makes the dealership relatively less profitable and less likely to do upgrades and add luxuries. 

The difference between the interior of a Cadillac dealer and a Jaguar Land Rover dealer is striking. I’ve recently been in both.

• Agree 1

^ I know you know that, but the way it was worded ("overhead") implied to me that the 10 dealers were somehow connected. Maybe just the way I read it.

My local dealer has Chevy-Cadillac, Buick-GMC and Ford-Lincoln. The Chevy dealer was a new Lincoln store (then they built the newer F-L store), but a couple years ago they built a stand-along Cadillac dealer on the same property. I haven't been in it.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.41.03 PM.png

Personally, I think the 'dealership experience' is vastly overrated. Do I care if the floor is vinyl tile or marble? I do not. In fact, if the floor IS marble, I figure THAT overhead reduces their ability to bargain on the vehicle price. I have zero ambition to spend time in the dealer's showroom, other than the rare occasion of buying a new car. It can be shag carpet & paneled walls- give me a decent deal. I can't take the marble flooring home...

Not surprisingly, I'd rather buy from a dealer like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 9.39.25 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Oh I've already been convinced of battery powered yard tools. The upsides to them over gas and 2-stroke tools is tenfold. 

I'm still rocking an old Cub Cadet from probably around 2000 for the lawn as I don't have a garage built yet so I'm not buying anything nice to leave out back. Plus, I'm still not sure what I want to get for the lawn. As of now, there is no electric version I'd want but I've heard rumors of some larger zero turn battery powered mowers. 

I just want an electric push mower because I also enjoy walking the yard and would probably like to do that every other mow, at least. Thanks to @David, now I'm torn between EGO, Toro, and Husqvarna. The Ego line seems to be quite a bit more though so I may still go with one of the other two. 

Toro's line of string trimmer, leaf blower, and mower end up $921 at Home Depot

Egos line of string trimmer, leaf blower, and mower end op $1177 at Lowes.

Those specific Ego tools are sllllightly better than the comparable Toro ones and the mower comes with a 7.5ah battery compared to Toro's 6.0ah. 

Home Depot web site seems to have discounted deals when you buy multiple EGO tools as well as their other electric lines so might be able to get yourself a good deal by buying in bulk if you can plan for the cost.

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That's what's almost "unfortunate" because they do appear to make very good stuff, top of the line electric products, but they're priced that way, too. I also really like they have the "power head" system but it's really expensive, $400 to get it with one attachment. 

Interesting that I see Home Depot tonight no longer is listing the EGO tools. I have to think they are getting bigger profits selling direct on Amazon so Home Depot decided to drop them. Crazy.

Amazon.com : EGO

Seems that the Power Head unit and a single device is about $130.00

Amazon.com : EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger Attachment & Power Head Battery & Charger Not Included : Garden & Outdoor

Combo Unit is $400 for stringer and edger.

Amazon.com : EGO Power+ MHC1502 Multi Combo Kit: 15 String Trimmer, 8-Inch Edger & Power Head with 5.0Ah Battery & Charger Included : Garden & Outdoor

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I didn’t say GM did run the stores. I’m saying the sales are spread thin over 10 stores compared to Benz with 4. That makes the dealership relatively less profitable and less likely to do upgrades and add luxuries. 

The difference between the interior of a Cadillac dealer and a Jaguar Land Rover dealer is striking. I’ve recently been in both.

Yeah...a Cadillac store sells vehicles that can be expected to run forty thousand miles without stupid issues...not so much JLR.

13 hours ago, riviera74 said:

True, but culling dealerships is still expensive since STATE agency laws require compensation to shutter a franchise these days. 

Eleven years ago, about 900 dealerships were shuttered for good because of the last recession.  All of them were GM/Ford/Chrysler dealerships.

Sadly...yes.

I think the Koreans actually will do very well in the future.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, David said:

Home Depot web site seems to have discounted deals when you buy multiple EGO tools as well as their other electric lines so might be able to get yourself a good deal by buying in bulk if you can plan for the cost.

I would like to at least buy the leaf blower and string trimmer together but really doubt I would buy the mower at the same time, just because I don't really need it and it's tough to justify the cost at this point. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Interesting that I see Home Depot tonight no longer is listing the EGO tools. I have to think they are getting bigger profits selling direct on Amazon so Home Depot decided to drop them. Crazy.

EGO switched from Home Depot to Lowes. I think it was the end of summer, or so, they announced it. When looking at the tools on EGO's website, they only list Amazon, Lowes, and Ace Hardware. 

The wording on this is very confusing because I believe this is JUST the attachment for that price. I believe that's stating the power head, battery, and charger are not included. I say this because $130 for the powerhead and attachment(without battery and charger) is still damn cheap. 

"EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger Attachment & Power Head Battery & Charger Not Included"

This is $143 alone:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q646G1

Ego Attachments.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

EGO switched from Home Depot to Lowes. I think it was the end of summer, or so, they announced it. When looking at the tools on EGO's website, they only list Amazon, Lowes, and Ace Hardware. 

The wording on this is very confusing because I believe this is JUST the attachment for that price. I believe that's stating the power head, battery, and charger are not included. I say this because $130 for the powerhead and attachment(without battery and charger) is still damn cheap. 

"EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger Attachment & Power Head Battery & Charger Not Included"

This is $143 alone:

Ego Attachments.JPG

Yeah, those prices align what I paid for attachments for my gas powered string trimmer.  I'd have to look a bit more closely, but I wonder if my existing attachments will work in the EGO system.

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, those prices align what I paid for attachments for my gas powered string trimmer.  I'd have to look a bit more closely, but I wonder if my existing attachments will work in the EGO system.

I've never looked into this because there are plenty of universal attachments out there but I've never looked into which brands accept those or not. 

I recently bought a dedicated Echo edger for $75 off the good ole Marketplace. I have a lot I want to start edging this coming year in addition to the regular sidewalks. It's in pretty rough condition along the red line beyond the sidewalk area. If I like it a lot, I'll keep it and use it. If it seems to be a pain and not really worth it, I should be able to still sell it for what I paid for it as it's a ~$250 unit. 

Also, this picture has to be a couple years old as the dumpster is still out there. Edge1.JPG.cc2d2e23a03ac7cc4b0b1ed62a03d389.JPG

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I've never looked into this because there are plenty of universal attachments out there but I've never looked into which brands accept those or not. 

I recently bought a dedicated Echo edger for $75 off the good ole Marketplace. I have a lot I want to start edging this coming year in addition to the regular sidewalks. It's in pretty rough condition along the red line beyond the sidewalk area. If I like it a lot, I'll keep it and use it. If it seems to be a pain and not really worth it, I should be able to still sell it for what I paid for it as it's a ~$250 unit. 

Also, this picture has to be a couple years old as the dumpster is still out there. Edge1.JPG.cc2d2e23a03ac7cc4b0b1ed62a03d389.JPG

Here's what you do. Rent a commercial grade one from Home Depot to get it into decent shape. $32 for four hours.  Then you can maintain it easier with the EGO tools.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

This is $143 alone:

Ego Attachments.JPG

You are correct, talk about terrible verbiage. I found in the comments section below that EGO even says that the MEO800 is the head unit with edger but no battery and charger and that the EAO800 is the edger attachment only. That would still leave one to have to buy the charger and battery. Expensive options, better to buy one of the units with the charger and battery. I see they do sell my original purchase package of string trimmer with the 530 blower.

Amazon.com : EGO Power+ ST1502LB 15-Inch String Trimmer & 530CFM Blower Combo Kit with 2.5Ah Battery and Charger Included, Black : Garden & Outdoor

Wish they would do this with the Head Unit as that is a better way to go I think now that I have the fixed stringer unit and bought the head unit with extension and hedge trimmer. But lots of options at Amazon to review for EGO. 

Thanks for pointing out the change for EGO from Home Depot to Lowes. I personally like Home Depot better as the Lowes here have terrible help, but guess we will see what Lowes does for price and selling of the EGO line.

WOW, big price difference, Amazon has that package above for $362.00 and Lowes has the same package for $279.00 both include charger and battery.

EGO POWER+ 4-Piece 56-volt Cordless Power Equipment Combo Kit in the Power Equipment Combo Kits department at Lowes.com

This is a good deal as it is not the Self Propelled mower, but the same one as mine with the blower and string trimmer for $628.00

Shop EGO Performance at Lowes.com

image.png

Just used my EGO 530 Blower and blew the whole front drive way and lawn and cleaned up all the last remnants of leaves. Clean yard. :D 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Here's what you do. Rent a commercial grade one from Home Depot to get it into decent shape. $32 for four hours.  Then you can maintain it easier with the EGO tools.

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing with the Echo one I bought already. A real god edge only needs to be done once a year and maintained the rest of the year.

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing with the Echo one I bought already. A real god edge only needs to be done once a year and maintained the rest of the year.

If you keep up with it once or twice a month over the summer, you probably won't need the commercial grade one again.  It's when you go years without that you need the commercial grade one to catch up. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you keep up with it once or twice a month over the summer, you probably won't need the commercial grade one again.  It's when you go years without that you need the commercial grade one to catch up. 

Oh absolutely, and mine isn't super overgrown as it is as I've done about what I can, reasonably, with my garbage curved shaft Stihl. 

1 hour ago, David said:

You are correct, talk about terrible verbiage. I found in the comments section below that EGO even says that the MEO800 is the head unit with edger but no battery and charger and that the EAO800 is the edger attachment only. That would still leave one to have to buy the charger and battery. Expensive options, better to buy one of the units with the charger and battery. I see they do sell my original purchase package of string trimmer with the 530 blower.

Amazon.com : EGO Power+ ST1502LB 15-Inch String Trimmer & 530CFM Blower Combo Kit with 2.5Ah Battery and Charger Included, Black : Garden & Outdoor

Wish they would do this with the Head Unit as that is a better way to go I think now that I have the fixed stringer unit and bought the head unit with extension and hedge trimmer. But lots of options at Amazon to review for EGO. 

Thanks for pointing out the change for EGO from Home Depot to Lowes. I personally like Home Depot better as the Lowes here have terrible help, but guess we will see what Lowes does for price and selling of the EGO line.

WOW, big price difference, Amazon has that package above for $362.00 and Lowes has the same package for $279.00 both include charger and battery.

EGO POWER+ 4-Piece 56-volt Cordless Power Equipment Combo Kit in the Power Equipment Combo Kits department at Lowes.com

This is a good deal as it is not the Self Propelled mower, but the same one as mine with the blower and string trimmer for $628.00

Shop EGO Performance at Lowes.com

image.png

Just used my EGO 530 Blower and blew the whole front drive way and lawn and cleaned up all the last remnants of leaves. Clean yard. :D 

How is the 530cfm? I've only ever used a leaf blower a few times at my parents to blow out the garage and I'm not sure what is considered , "not enough", "enough", and "overkill". 

Also, do you know if there are stripe kits available for EGO mowers? That's an accessory I'd like to invest in as well. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

How is the 530cfm? I've only ever used a leaf blower a few times at my parents to blow out the garage and I'm not sure what is considered , "not enough", "enough", and "overkill". 

Also, do you know if there are stripe kits available for EGO mowers? That's an accessory I'd like to invest in as well. 

I have found that the 530 is perfect, what I like about it compared to the 580 and newest 650 is that you have a airflow control. Maybe they have them on the higher power ones, but I did not see it as I am used to mine having it in front so I just reach in front and adjust. Allows for full blast to very gentle and I have used it on gentle mode to blow out the garage and go then back to full mode to blow off the grass and drive way. No complaints as it does the job especially in the much larger back yard where I have plenty of neighbor trees that have a ton of leaves that drop into my yard.

EDIT: I forgot, you do have a turbo button that goes from the 530 to 600 CFM that you can use, it does use up the battery faster. I tend to use my lawnmower battery in turbo mode for the back yard to blow the leaves faster. So in this regards the higher power unit if you have a large yard which it looks like you do might help get the job done faster or get their commercial backpack blower to really give you battery life and yet light to use since the bulk of the weight is on your back.

Except for the 480 that has 3 power settings, all of the blowers I just checked has variable power from a low 200 to their max rating. The models being 530, 575, 580 and 650 before you go to the backpack unit I posted below that has a 3hr run time if you use the 7.5 Ah battery.

image.png

image.png

In regards to a Stripe kit, I have never used one and I know that EGO does not have one. The rubber edge at the back of the lawn does a pretty nice job. I always cut my grass in two directions with the second cut at a 45 degree angle and my wife always says it looks like a baseball field. Seems to come across clean and nice. I looked and did not find anything other than 3rd party stripe kits that you would have to make your own attachment point on the mower.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Oh absolutely, and mine isn't super overgrown as it is as I've done about what I can, reasonably, with my garbage curved shaft Stihl. 

I have a leaf blower, but I don't find it particularly useful at clearing the lawn of leaves. I just hook up the mulcher attachment on the mower and let'er rip. 

I do use the leaf blower for porches, the truck bed, or my garage, but I don't need super high power for that.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have a leaf blower, but I don't find it particularly useful at clearing the lawn of leaves. I just hook up the mulcher attachment on the mower and let'er rip. 

I do use the leaf blower for porches, the truck bed, or my garage, but I don't need super high power for that.

Yeah, I don't really plan to blow leaves with it. I mostly want it to clean off the sidewalks and if/when I blow grass on the street...I want to be able to clean that up a lot easier. I just mulch leaves. I don't let the yard get suuuuper covered and it never gets too bad. 

I cut the grass just last week to get what I think was the last bit of leaves. 

1EC84C55-64FB-49BD-A88A-13D99ADA2560.jpeg

7381A2FE-0DFF-4451-8888-C9BDF0DFCD92.jpeg

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

when I blow grass on the street

Don't do that. Blow it back onto the grass and then suck it up into the mower if you want it gone.

Grass on the street is bad for motorcycles and bicyclists, plus it looks like crap. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Don't do that. Blow it back onto the grass and then suck it up into the mower if you want it gone.

Grass on the street is bad for motorcycles and bicyclists, plus it looks like crap. 

Sorry, I meant while I mow. I accidently blow grass on the street and want the leaf blower for easier cleanup. I definitely do not try and blow grass onto the street! 

Plus, its typically illegal to do so but it is never enforced. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

What's the story on that building, ccap?  Just curious...

I'm not 100% sure what it was originally. I've spoken with a few neighbors and I think it may originally be a manufacturing building for Basler Electric(coincidently, my dad is an engineer for Basler at a location built in the 90's that's on a 10 acre lot - see link). The one neighbor told me it was one of their few small locations around town and eventually consolidated into the one large building. I do know that when my wife and I were in elementary school/middle school it was a dance studio. The owners divorced and the husband kept the building and he was doing furniture repair out of it when we bought it.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/community/highland-news-leader/article148323139.html

https://www.basler.com/About-Us/Company-History

The more I look into it, the less I think it was a Basler building. I need to try and stop by my town hall and see if they have any information on it. We are caddy corner to an old brewery that hasn't been in commission since, at lease, we've lived here(1993). There is a small elevator(not human-sized) in the back and there is also a pneumatic lift out front. I believe it was to bridge the gap between a truck and the entryway(garage door), still a little confused about that.

The single story part was built in 1949 and the second story portion was added on in 1951. 

The picture was from before we bought the place, via googlemaps. I may try and grab some pictures from my phone of the place. 

Home.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Official numbers are in and it seems the current pandemic has cut global emissions by 7%.

GCP : Global Carbon Project : Homepage

Sad part is that as the vaccine gets pushed out and people go back it is expected without a move to alternative means of transportation that this will jump by 10% increase in 2021.

• Confused 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:39 PM, ccap41 said:

I definitely do not try and blow grass onto the street! 

Plus, its typically illegal to do so but it is never enforced. 

I thought one smoked grass....  Anyway...its best for everyone if "blowin"  (wink wink) grass is done privately...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

We had a squall at work recently, it came down hard enough to accumulate, then it disappeared.

Yep, that happened to us too..barely other an inch! Sounds like we will get real snow amounts next week....Wednesday or Thursday.......

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Patagonia stuff (vests, sweaters, outerwear) from REI, per ad banners I get, is a little pricey. 

Ah, yes, what labels will do to prices.

Yep, good stuff, but overpriced like crazy..

I like North Face too, but only when it is on sale. 🙂 Love the fleeces...have a few. Colombia seems to be the best bang for buck...

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Yep, that happened to us too..barely other an inch! Sounds like we will get real snow amounts next week....Wednesday or Thursday.......

Yep, good stuff, but overpriced like crazy..

I like North Face too, but only when it is on sale. 🙂 Love the fleeces...have a few. Colombia seems to be the best bang for buck...

I've worn Columbia fleece for probably 20 years..love their stuff...used to shop at REI when I lived in Colorado...North Face is good for the heavy winter parka stuff particularly.   

• Agree 1