Random Thoughts Thread

Most are aware there have been significant advancements in autos over the last 25 yrs (let's limit it to that time span).

Tires (maybe the most significant), brakes, anti-lock tech, stability control, traction control, AWD, etc etc.

So tell me then, why, when it becomes necessary to put the wipers on the slowest delay setting because tiny droplets of water are coming from the sky… are the vast majority (95%) of drivers STILL slowing down to a maximum of 35 MPH??? 

It's ONE of TWO possibilities. Either drivers are THAT much worse now than 25 yrs ago (question is; is it BECAUSE of all the tech), or is all the tech really totally irrelevant to drivers??

My :2cents:  is what I highlighted. I really don't drive any different when it's raining, unless it is a downpour - obviously.

Actually, quick story. About a month ago the GF and I were taking our little girl to the vet

20C632AB-5B6F-4FC2-98AA-30EF4077E21F_zps

Aww...a Yorkie.  I have 4, 2 boys and 2 girls.. :)

Hey Stew...I guess you didnt "Dodge" the guard rail.  You decided to "Ram" it instead.

Every cloud has a "Silverado" I guess..We are glad that you did not get hurt.

HA! 

Most are aware there have been significant advancements in autos over the last 25 yrs (let's limit it to that time span).

Tires (maybe the most significant), brakes, anti-lock tech, stability control, traction control, AWD, etc etc.

So tell me then, why, when it becomes necessary to put the wipers on the slowest delay setting because tiny droplets of water are coming from the sky… are the vast majority (95%) of drivers STILL slowing down to a maximum of 35 MPH??? 

It's ONE of TWO possibilities. Either drivers are THAT much worse now than 25 yrs ago (question is; is it BECAUSE of all the tech), or is all the tech really totally irrelevant to drivers??

My :2cents:  is what I highlighted. I really don't drive any different when it's raining, unless it is a downpour - obviously.

Actually, quick story. About a month ago the GF and I were taking our little girl to the vet

Got a Chorkie pup Saturday.  Trying to figure out which parts of his personality comes from the Chihuahua and what comes from the Yorkie lol. 

Edited by Stew
  • Agree 1

You have 4?!?!? I'm actually jealous. I always tell the gf that I want a small fleet of them because of how cute they'd be all running around playing! lol Have any pictures of yours???

• Agree 1

New Ram's bounce of guardrails pretty well.................

Whhhaaaaat?? What did you do, stew?!

+1. We at least need a story, man! I'm assuming you're okay because you made to back here..so that part is good.

Basically I went to drive that Black Ram Express I had talked about earlier.  Went up the road the dealer advised and got behind a Trike moving at a slower pace.  I came to a passing lane and went to go around.  Pretty sure they sped up on me.  The lane ended WAY soon and at this point I was already committed and halfway by.  Gave it some more gas, didn't see the sharp left-hander and bounced off the guardrail.  Damage was minimal, dented and scraped on the side of the bumper cover and a scrape across both passenger doors.  No injuries except to my pride and probably my wallet.  It is all really kind of a blur at this point.   I know the police was making them haul it back to the dealer because I wasn't going that fast (lack of major damage/skid-marks) and thinks there may have been a steering malfunction.  There's the story, nothing too scandalous haha.

Oh, that was my first real accident in 20 years of driving.

Oh $h! man... Sounds like a pain in the ass situation.  Who ends up paying for those damages in a situation like that? does that fall back on you or the dealer..? I could see cases for both.

Chorkie eh? I've never heard of them, so I looked them up lol. For the most part they seem to look more Yorkie than Chihuahua, which I think looks cuter. Regular Chihuahuas are not appealing to me.. Hopefully yours isn't yappy like them either lol. Any pictures of your little pup??? How old is he/she?

New Ram's bounce of guardrails pretty well.................

Whhhaaaaat?? What did you do, stew?!

+1. We at least need a story, man! I'm assuming you're okay because you made to back here..so that part is good.

Basically I went to drive that Black Ram Express I had talked about earlier.  Went up the road the dealer advised and got behind a Trike moving at a slower pace.  I came to a passing lane and went to go around.  Pretty sure they sped up on me.  The lane ended WAY soon and at this point I was already committed and halfway by.  Gave it some more gas, didn't see the sharp left-hander and bounced off the guardrail.  Damage was minimal, dented and scraped on the side of the bumper cover and a scrape across both passenger doors.  No injuries except to my pride and probably my wallet.  It is all really kind of a blur at this point.   I know the police was making them haul it back to the dealer because I wasn't going that fast (lack of major damage/skid-marks) and thinks there may have been a steering malfunction.  There's the story, nothing too scandalous haha.

Oh $h! man... Sounds like a pain in the ass situation.  Who ends up paying for those damages in a situation like that? does that fall back on you or the dealer..? I could see cases for both.

Chorkie eh? I've never heard of them, so I looked them up lol. For the most part they seem to look more Yorkie than Chihuahua, which I think looks cuter. Regular Chihuahuas are not appealing to me.. Hopefully yours isn't yappy like them either lol. Any pictures of your little pup??? How old is he/she?

20150614_211735_zpscobya6vr.jpg  Not the best pic, I had my flash turned of DOH! 

Also have a fleet of Beagles lol.  Here is one of the pups.

20150526_210631_zps61hgtaay.jpg

Life will have it's ups and downs, but life is always worth living for as there is so much to learn, see and do in life that even the worst day is still a great day to be alive in this awesome world we live in!

Hang in there, things will always get better. :D

20150614_211735_zpscobya6vr.jpg  Not the best pic, I had my flash turned of DOH! 

She/he looks like a little cutie!  I think one of the biggest reasons I love yorkies over other 'toy' breed mixes with yorkies is the black in them, like yours actually. I love the black and brown. I know it slowly grows out of them but it's awesome while they are still young. Ours still has a all black back and partial back legs. I wish her ace was still black and dark brown like when they are puppies.

Fleet-o-Beegles?!?! How many is in your fleet??? hahaha. Are they inside or outside pups?

Any gamers following E3?

This is the best show in years, and not just because I've got a perma-boner from the shock of seeing Final Fantasy VII unveiled on PS4.

Negatron.

Semi-on-topic. Do you play Gran Turismo??

She/he looks like a little cutie!  I think one of the biggest reasons I love yorkies over other 'toy' breed mixes with yorkies is the black in them, like yours actually. I love the black and brown. I know it slowly grows out of them but it's awesome while they are still young. Ours still has a all black back and partial back legs. I wish her ace was still black and dark brown like when they are puppies.

He is a little rascal.  He sleeps, plays for a bit, then back o sleep.  He is 8  weeks old.  He is prett fearless too.  Was picking on the cats last night even though they are 2-3 times his size haha.

11 Beagles right now and one about to have pups.  he Chorkie is the only purely inside dog.  Also have a German Shepherd/retriever mix who is uge and the packs protector. 

Any gamers following E3?

This is the best show in years, and not just because I've got a perma-boner from the shock of seeing Final Fantasy VII unveiled on PS4.

Negatron.

Yeah, I have GT6 and the G27 Logitech racing wheel. Funny thing is, I only played the game for a couple weeks before it got shelved because my cat was in a wire-chewing phase and then we moved. Plus every time I looked for a specific modern car, I came up empty handed and it reminds me that it's still essentially GT4 with MAYBE 100 legitimately new cars (and I'm being generous) spanning 2004-2013. No meaningful DLC packs or anything.

It's a f@#king blast playing with the stick shift and clutch pedal though.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

He is a little rascal.  He sleeps, plays for a bit, then back o sleep.  He is 8  weeks old.  He is prett fearless too.  Was picking on the cats last night even though they are 2-3 times his size haha.

11 Beagles right now and one about to have pups.  he Chorkie is the only purely inside dog.  Also have a German Shepherd/retriever mix who is uge and the packs protector. 

OMG you have so many pups running around!

When they're puppies they sleep all the time.. heck I think I read that yorkies will get like 16hrs of sleep/day. From sleeping at night and then sleeping while nobody is home.

Any gamers following E3?

Negatron.

Yeah, I have GT6 and the G27 Logitech racing wheel. Funny thing is, I only played the game for a couple weeks before it got shelved because my cat was in a wire-chewing phase and then we moved. Plus every time I looked for a specific modern car, I came up empty handed and it reminds me that it's still essentially GT4 with MAYBE 100 legitimately new cars (and I'm being generous) spanning 2004-2013. No meaningful DLC packs or anything.

Yeah the cars are about as disappointing as it gets. of the 1200 cars 100 NSXs, 100 Miatas, 100 Civics, 100 GTRs, 100 S2000s..You get the point.. I honestly think 100 is an overshot. I don't think there are 100 modern cars on that game. Even Mustang on it is an '09. Well in GT6 they did add the Boss302 and GT500 which I really liked but there are just sooooo many of the same car with different stickers on it and less actually different cars.

I still rock the ole controller.. lol I just don't have anywhere good to keep/use a wheel/pedals.

Does anyone else get so low hey just don't want to deal with it anymore?

Yes, I spent quite a bit of time there in my early 20s. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way, buddy.

You have to dream big and keep hope alive. Stay active and busy, then find small victories in life you can hold onto. Enough of those small wins can really add up positively in your life: organize your room/garage/living space, learn something new, save up a tiny bit of cash every day to buy something you want, whatever is important to you. Another thing that's always been hard for me is letting go of the past when it holds you back like an anchor.

Any gamers following E3?

Negatron.

Yeah the cars are about as disappointing as it gets. of the 1200 cars 100 NSXs, 100 Miatas, 100 Civics, 100 GTRs, 100 S2000s..You get the point.. I honestly think 100 is an overshot. I don't think there are 100 modern cars on that game. Even Mustang on it is an '09. Well in GT6 they did add the Boss302 and GT500 which I really liked but there are just sooooo many of the same car with different stickers on it and less actually different cars.

I still rock the ole controller.. lol I just don't have anywhere good to keep/use a wheel/pedals.

Here's my short list of anger-inducing missing cars:

Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

Saturn Sky Redline or Pontiac Solstice GXP (not the ugly concept they have in the game)

Pontiac G8 GT or GXP

Chevy Camaro ZL1

Any V-Series Cadillac besides the CTS-V Coupe

Acura TL Type-S

Honda Civic Si

Audi RS5 (or again, anything recent from Audi besides the TT and R8)

MazdaSpeed 6

Edited by cp-the-nerd

You have 4?!?!? I'm actually jealous. I always tell the gf that I want a small fleet of them because of how cute they'd be all running around playing! lol Have any pictures of yours???

Yorkies--- Ginger, 6lbs  

FullSizeRender-vi.jpg

Penny, 7lbs..

IMG_0721-vi.jpg

Zo--a big boy, 16lbs

IMG_0729-vi.jpg

and Henry, 10lbs

FullSizeRender2-vi.jpg

We also have 3 other dogs, all terriers and terrier mixes..

Nauti II, a senior Australian Terrier (was a rescued stray and a cancer survivor)

IMG_0797-vi.jpg

and these two---Raine and Beardsley, terrier mixes adopted together last year...(Raine is the red dog at the top and Beardsley is gray/white)

photo-vi.jpg

Another one of Beardsley:

FullSizeRender1-vi.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Any gamers following E3?

I've been trying to, but its been hard to keep up with all the news. I need like a summary of what has been announced.

Any gamers following E3?

I've been trying to, but its been hard to keep up with all the news. I need like a summary of what has been announced.

I'm a PS guy, so that's the news I know.

-Killzone devs unveiled an all new game called "Horizon: Zero Dawn" set in a post apocalyptic future, graphics are gorgeous.

-Uncharted 4 looks amazing. Nathan Drake re-enters the world of thieves to save his brother.

-Ninja Theory, developer of Heavenly Sword and DmC (aka Devil May Cry 5, which I loved), unveiled Hellblade, a stand alone title about a warrior girl with a mental illness who's surviving a living hell of self doubt and hallucinations.

-Final Fantasy VII is going to be the highest grossing videogame of all time. I'm calling it now. The crowd went absolutely ballistic, Square Enix kept the game 100% secret. Even game journalists were losing their minds over the unveiling trailer.

-The Last Guardian is re-confirmed. Sony convinced everyone it was cancelled, it's almost complete! (Ico and Shadow of the Colossus series.)

Other news...

-Xbox is now offering a $150 premium controller. Whatever the hell that means.

-Xbox is advertising backward compatability.

-New Halo game

-New Gears of War

-Nintendo has another console coming soon beyond the wiiU

-New Legend of Zelda game

-New Star Fox title

-Star Wars Battlefront III is well into production.

OMG you have so many pups running around!

When they're puppies they sleep all the time.. heck I think I read that yorkies will get like 16hrs of sleep/day. From sleeping at night and then sleeping while nobody is home.

Makes for a lot of fun playtime lol.  The oldest one is my Beagle Sally, had her since she was born and she is 9 now. 

Yes, I spent quite a bit of time there in my early 20s. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way, buddy.

You have to dream big and keep hope alive. Stay active and busy, then find small victories in life you can hold onto. Enough of those small wins can really add up positively in your life: organize your room/garage/living space, learn something new, save up a tiny bit of cash every day to buy something you want, whatever is important to you. Another thing that's always been hard for me is letting go of the past when it holds you back like an anchor.

I have just had a 4 year bad luck streak and it is just coming to a head I think. 

Yorkies--- Ginger, 6lbs  

FullSizeRender-vi.jpg

Penny, 7lbs..

IMG_0721-vi.jpg

Zo--a big boy, 16lbs

IMG_0729-vi.jpg

and Henry, 10lbs

FullSizeRender2-vi.jpg

We also have 3 other dogs, all terriers and terrier mixes..

Nauti II, a senior Australian Terrier (was a rescued stray and a cancer survivor)

IMG_0797-vi.jpg

and these two---Raine and Beardsley, terrier mixes adopted together last year...(Raine is the red dog at the top and Beardsley is gray/white)

Another one of Beardsley:

FullSizeRender1-vi.jpg

Cute pups! i love that you keep their hair trimmed, not the long haired Yorkies. That must be a blast having all those little buds running around! Last time the gf and I were at the vet(about a month ago) Gucci weighed right at 4.75lbs. I think that was a lightest shes ever weighed once she was full gown. She usually weighs right at 5lbs.. Not sure why the difference other than maybe it's summer and warmer and shes losing the winter-ness.

I just know I absolutely love our little yorkie..even if she is the least manly pet I could ever have. Hahaha

• Agree 1

Negatron.

Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

Saturn Sky Redline or Pontiac Solstice GXP (not the ugly concept they have in the game)

Pontiac G8 GT or GXP

Chevy Camaro ZL1

Acura TL Type-S

Honda Civic Si

MazdaSpeed 6

Oh that's just a tiny list..And I agree with all of them I, obviously, always wanted an 03-04 Cobra, More modern and variety of the AMG and M cars. Also some Audi "S" and/or "RS" cars. Honestly, for having trucks on there..maybe more modern trucks as well. Definitely surprised no Cobalt SS S/C or Turbo(being it is kindof a ricer list of cars anyway). I wish they had More modern Mustangs as well, Camaro ZL1 as well, Porsche(I know it is legal rights stuffs but still..),

Dang, I can't think of too many off the top of my head but I know there are ~20 cars that it surprises/grinds my gears that they don't have. Next time I get on I'll have to make a little list..lol

I've never gotten to play with a wheel/pedals. I bet it's awesome. How does the clutch work in a video game?

It's never dull w them around. I don't need an alarm clock...a couple of them like to stand on my chest and bark in my face at 5am. The short puppy cut hair cuts work best here in Arizona.

Hahaha Yeah I'll take up with our on my chest lickin my face.. The short/puppy cut looks the cutest too, for sure.

Hang in there man.

Agreed with 'Bong.. Hang in there and do your best to keep your head up. It isn't always easy to be positive, but you have to in tough times..

It's never dull w them around. I don't need an alarm clock...a couple of them like to stand on my chest and bark in my face at 5am. The short puppy cut hair cuts work best here in Arizona.

Hahaha Yeah I'll take up with our on my chest lickin my face.. The short/puppy cut looks the cutest too, for sure.

Hang in there man.

Agreed with 'Bong.. Hang in there and do your best to keep your head up. It isn't always easy to be positive, but you have to in tough times..

thanks guys, doing my best and hanging in there if just barely.

Edited by Stew

Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

Pontiac G8 GT or GXP

Chevy Camaro ZL1

Acura TL Type-S

Honda Civic Si

MazdaSpeed 6

Oh that's just a tiny list..And I agree with all of them I, obviously, always wanted an 03-04 Cobra, More modern and variety of the AMG and M cars. Also some Audi "S" and/or "RS" cars. Honestly, for having trucks on there..maybe more modern trucks as well. Definitely surprised no Cobalt SS S/C or Turbo(being it is kindof a ricer list of cars anyway). I wish they had More modern Mustangs as well, Camaro ZL1 as well, Porsche(I know it is legal rights stuffs but still..),

Dang, I can't think of too many off the top of my head but I know there are ~20 cars that it surprises/grinds my gears that they don't have. Next time I get on I'll have to make a little list..lol

I've never gotten to play with a wheel/pedals. I bet it's awesome. How does the clutch work in a video game?

Porsche is sorta in the game, just under the RUF specialty brand as a loophole.

The clutch is not perfect, there's no engagement point, the pedal has to be on the floor to allow a shift change or the car goes into neutral. It's still the most realistic racing experience I've ever felt playing a videogame. The steering wheel is leather wrapped and has adjustable force feedback and is a full 3 turns from one extreme to the other. Having a hand on the stick and a foot on the clutch goes such a long way. It also has aluminum paddle shifters for when it's appropriate. It'll ruin playing with a controller forever, haha.

It's also a basic learning tool for people who have never driven stick, I even gave my girlfriend a lesson!

^ Yeah.. but the variety in RUF cars is nowhere near what I would like to see in Porsches. I'd like a couple modern 911s and Caymans.

Man, I need to get one of those wheel/pedal setups. I assume you need like a desk for something like that right..? I used a wheel once long ago and it didn't have force feedback and was terrible. But that was years ago.

^ Yeah.. but the variety in RUF cars is nowhere near what I would like to see in Porsches. I'd like a couple modern 911s and Caymans.

Man, I need to get one of those wheel/pedal setups. I assume you need like a desk for something like that right..? I used a wheel once long ago and it didn't have force feedback and was terrible. But that was years ago.

Uhh... it's important to have a purpose-built stand for the racing wheel and pedals. My whole set up together was like $400-500. My girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas after she became a pharmacist. Normally that would seem crazy, but the G27 is a USB controller, so I can use it for any upcoming racing games on any system, and presumably GT7 on PS4, which I will NOT buy if it's still an updated GT4 roster.

I'm not against Trump running for president and here's why: our country's biggest problem is economics. We have this idiotic mentality toward everything related to business (why the HELL does it cost less for our OWN companies to import their goods and outsource services??) and the national budget is the equivalent of ripping every tax dollar in half and trying to spend two.

Donald's social issues might be weak, but 1) importance of social issues in elections is WAY out of control because the President's impact on such matters is very little, or none at all for state-mandated topics, and 2) Donald knows how to make a profitable business. His worst failure pales in comparison to the state of the national deficit and the annual failure of our budget.

People are attacking him like he's the worst idea in the world, while democrats are pushing for Hilary Clinton with zero justification. She's a terrible leader, she failed as secretary of state and despite her tiffs with the Obama family, there's no reason she wouldn't be more of the exact same thing. If you want to shine a spotlight on morality, look at her sham of a marriage to a scum bag that was impeached, yet is glorified by liberals for an economic upswing he had little to do with, unless you count initiating the housing bubble to artificially boost the economy with money that didn't exist.

• Disagree 2

Hasn't the Donald had multiple bankruptcies and business failures? Maybe the image of being successful if not the reality.

His net worth is over 4 billion dollars, he's a successful businessman. I'm not saying he's THE guy to be president, but people need to stop voting with their heads up their asses. If we don't fix the budget, it's only a matter of time until the house of cards falls apart. We're already sitting on a student loan bubble on the brink of bursting. The next president's #1 attribute needs to be economics, and Trump wants to bring manufacturing back to the US which would be a big step in the right direction.

Hasn't the Donald had multiple bankruptcies and business failures? Maybe the image of being successful if not the reality.

Yup, he has failed and left many with being pushed into bankrupcy all at others expense in building his own personal wealth. He is a man that knows nothing of how to build and grow a profitable business. He is no different than the Idiot Hillary and all the other DemoBots and RepuliRATS that also know nothing of how to work within a budget.

So far 2016 is looking to be a year to pick the least of all evils as we currently only have morons running for president.

Yup, he has failed and left many with being pushed into bankrupcy all at others expense in building his own personal wealth. He is a man that knows nothing of how to build and grow a profitable business. He is no different than the Idiot Hillary and all the other DemoBots and RepuliRATS that also know nothing of how to work within a budget.

So far 2016 is looking to be a year to pick the least of all evils as we currently only have morons running for president.

Isn't this the same every election for ANY politician..ever. ? They are all crooks and liars.

Isn't this the same every election for ANY politician..ever. ? They are all crooks and liars.

Well it would help if we all stopped voting incumbents back into office. My state is incredibly guilty of that.

Well it would help if we all stopped voting incumbents back into office. My state is incredibly guilty of that.

Plus all Gov jobs should have term limits.

House and Senate should be able to do no more than 12 years or what equals to 6 terms for house and 2 terms for senate or we change both to be 2yr jobs or 6yr jobs and reduce the waste of time for elections.

House and Senate should be able to do no more than 12 years or what equals to 6 terms for house and 2 terms for senate or we change both to be 2yr jobs or 6yr jobs and reduce the waste of time for elections.

Agreed. Term limits are absolutely necessary.

• Agree 1

Wonder when we will see real style out of the Germans as all their auto's are now 40 year old rehash crap!

I think a lot look good.  i know the A5 for example is long in tooth, but it has aged gracefully.

@Stew:  lol yeah a little.. I guess I never really thought of it as raspy but it isn't high pitched like other small dogs where it is nearly ear piercing.

Yeah, had a Chihuahua before it was a high pitched.

Does Ford have a small CUV planned like the CX-3/HR-V/Renegade? It seems like most automakers have a little guy except Ford. GM has the Trax/Encore, FCA and the Renegade/500L, The above mentioned Japanese ones.. Not Ford?

They have one, I believe, in Europe, just can't remember the name off the top of my head though.  Semms like i was a decent looking litle thing, but can't remember for sure.

I eel that way every election.  We do need politicians (President, Congress, and Senate) that will concentrate on he economy and jobs instead of the petty BS they constantly fight about.......

Agreed. Term limits are absolutely necessary.

110% agree. I also think their pay should be cut in half, if not more. NOT because I don't think they deserve it or whatnot(I honestly don't know how much they do or don't work so I'll leave that aspect of it out) but because I want somebody who genuinely wants to help make things better, not for the fat checks.

I believe gov't representatives should be paid based on their constituent's median income in some capacity.

I like that idea! :D Course then you have those that represent the wealthy section that would be way over paid. :P

Does Ford have a small CUV planned like the CX-3/HR-V/Renegade? It seems like most automakers have a little guy except Ford. GM has the Trax/Encore, FCA and the Renegade/500L, The above mentioned Japanese ones.. Not Ford?

They have one, I believe, in Europe, just can't remember the name off the top of my head though.  Semms like i was a decent looking litle thing, but can't remember for sure.

You're thinking of the Ford EcoSport which if I remember is a Ford Fiesta on stilts.