Random Thoughts Thread

It's amazing to me that the 24hrs of Le Mans had absolutely terrible coverage yet the 6hrs at Watkins Glen are completely covered.

On Fox Sports, right?

There's a channel here called Motors TV that's been airing "streams" from the Fox Sports coverage live. Just wish they did the same with the NASCAR.

For the first time in YEARS, I lay awake last night for about a half hour, contemplating family news, vs. the normal 1-2 mins it takes me usually to slip under.

That's a sign of rising stress…………. . .. … . .  .   . .     .         . must work on that.

It's amazing to me that the 24hrs of Le Mans had absolutely terrible coverage yet the 6hrs at Watkins Glen are completely covered.

On Fox Sports, right?

There's a channel here called Motors TV that's been airing "streams" from the Fox Sports coverage live. Just wish they did the same with the NASCAR.

Yeah it was on FS1 and I think the final hour went to FS2.

Do you not get to watch NASCAR or you wish they covered the Tudor Series better like NASCAR?

The 6rs at the Glen actually kind of sucked..the rain was soooo bad. Usually I enjor watching races in the rain but this was such a heavy downpour there were constantl cars sliding off course. They even red Flagged the race due to rain. Now that is impressive for a series that races in the rain. It finished the last 35 minutes under a yellow flag..

Edited by ccap41

Everybody says "don't just sit on the commode, get up on it and squat, that is the natural human position for a full and complete poop experience."  But every time I do, I feel like Mowgli, like I was found by scientists after being raised by a ragtag group of orangutans.  Plus I feel like I'm going to fall off, hit my head, knock myself out and have a photo posted on Facebook of me laying next to a turd, mooning the crowd.  Cannot handle it.

They make a special ...erm... stool.. for that.

• Agree 1

On Fox Sports, right?

Yeah it was on FS1 and I think the final hour went to FS2.

Do you not get to watch NASCAR or you wish they covered the Tudor Series better like NASCAR?

The 6rs at the Glen actually kind of sucked..the rain was soooo bad. Usually I enjor watching races in the rain but this was such a heavy downpour there were constantl cars sliding off course. They even red Flagged the race due to rain. Now that is impressive for a series that races in the rain. It finished the last 35 minutes under a yellow flag..

Couple years ago you could watch it on a sort of public access channel which had coverage of it, but since then it's all become subscription which sucks some. They used to show the Nationwide series at one point but not anymore.

I only saw about an hour or so of that race. Would liked to have watched more but I had company around at the time haha.

How did the Corvettes do?

Both the Tudor Series Vettes and the C7-R Vettes...

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/race_result_files/2015_TUSC_WGI_ProvisionalResults.pdf

I believe that is correct. I remember the top three and they are the same as that list so hopefully it is correct.

thanx.

How did the Corvettes do?

Both the Tudor Series Vettes and the C7-R Vettes...

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/race_result_files/2015_TUSC_WGI_ProvisionalResults.pdf

I believe that is correct. I remember the top three and they are the same as that list so hopefully it is correct.

thanx.

No probby!

RIP Jack, best dog I ever had. You were the dog I grew up with. You've been my best friend since I was five, and you'll always be remembered as the most affectionate dog I've ever met. Over sixteen years was more than I could ever ask from you. . 

RIP Jack, best dog I ever had. You were the dog I grew up with. You've been my best friend since I was five, and you'll always be remembered as the most affectionate dog I've ever met. Over sixteen years was more than I could ever ask from you. . 

Sorry about your dog, dude. Worst part of pet ownership is saying goodbye. It's like having a close family member or best friend guaranteed to live just a small fraction of your life span. Seems like a lot of pets passing at C&G right now.

Sorry for your loss. I know it well.

Sorry for your loss, buddy..

Thed:  τα συλλυπητήριά μου.

Translation. My condolences.

Jack is in Greek doggy heaven.

Unlike this guy...this guy guards the gates of Hades.

heracerb.gif

His name is Cerberus.

I think Hades was the first to put up a sign like this one in front of his home...

P1040753.jpg

fcb42e056ca1db2fcbe5b83be7334a1a.jpg

Mr. Sed (I don't feel like picking on Mike Tyson right now) I am very sorry to hear about your dog.  It's a real difficult thing, losing a pet, knowing that no human being will ever love us as much.

knowing that no human being will ever love us as much.

That is soooooooooo false!!!

Not to take away from your post in sympathizing for the loss of Thed's dog, but...

1. Your mom.

A mother (usually)  will  ALWAYS love their children no matter what. A mother's love is not measurable.

2. Your dad. OK...there are some dads...deadbeat dads...but....usually...a dad's love is not measurable.

3. Your children.

Your children, no matter what...unless you are a deadbeat dad or deadbeat mom...will ALWAYS look up to you...you...as a parent to your children...are a God to them...your children will ALWAYS love you...your child's love to you is not measurable...

So...sure...a pet like a dig or cat or horse....will always love their master...but that is the key word right there...master...

Mother's love, Father's love, child's love...unconditional love is the the ultimate...and because you have missed that...I dont know if Im opening up a pandora's box with you...

Yea, count me in as one of those who doesn't get completely out-of-my-mind wrapped up in animals. They're… animals, not people. I say this having grown up with a dog, and having lived with 2 different cats over the last 19 years (with a 6-yr break). I like animals just fine, but I don't see them as anything beyond what they are. Also, frankly, if it were up to me alone, I wouldn't live with any… but I do. Boo the Cat will be 3 July 4th, we've had him since he was about 4 wks old. He's certainly entertaining and I like him pretty well, but I don't 'love' him.

Sorry for your loss Thed.

Anyways, man, the daily grind, eh?

Ever wanted to just disappear? Like just grab whatever you can carry with the clothes on your back; and just disappear. Leave the life you live. Because I have been having recurring thoughts of doing so... for the last 6-7 months.

Ever wanted to just disappear? Like just grab whatever you can carry with the clothes on your back; and just disappear. Leave the life you live. Because I have been having recurring thoughts of doing so... for the last 6-7 months.

Almost every day.

I have that thought every week or so.

When times were rough and money was tight, I used to love the notion of giving up everything and starting over somewhere in the midwest. Maybe chase tornadoes (apparently I'm a closet lunatic). For years, I was in a rut just waiting for life plans to pay off. It was mentally exhausting going from college graduation at the peak of the recession to grinding out debt, living paycheck to paycheck, and sticking out a long distance relationship.

If you guys don't have a good reason to be in a rut, maybe it's time to shake things up.

• Agree 3

I get that way on the months where we don't have an extended weekend for a holiday or something. It is amazing what a 3 day weekend will do mentally. Not just the time off but just having something to look forward to that isn't the same. For instance, this weekend. I'm so stoked for it..yet I have nothing planned or anything.. just won't be working. lol

I get that way on the months where we don't have an extended weekend for a holiday or something. It is amazing what a 3 day weekend will do mentally. Not just the time off but just having something to look forward to that isn't the same. For instance, this weekend. I'm so stoked for it..yet I have nothing planned or anything.. just won't be working. lol

My day job has been taking advantage of me for a couple years now and I am so pinned down by them I don't have much time or energy to make a change.

My day job has been taking advantage of me for a couple years now and I am so pinned down by them I don't have much time or energy to make a change.

I understand, jobs can have a creeping oppression over us.

Very very much so..

When times were rough and money was tight, I used to love the notion of giving up everything and starting over somewhere in the midwest. Maybe chase tornadoes (apparently I'm a closet lunatic). For years, I was in a rut just waiting for life plans to pay off. It was mentally exhausting going from college graduation at the peak of the recession to grinding out debt, living paycheck to paycheck, and sticking out a long distance relationship.

If you guys don't have a good reason to be in a rut, maybe it's time to shake things up.

I wanted to contribute somehow in helping you guys out.

But I have no clue how.

Ill just do what I do best and post videos.

Songs.

I think this song sums up quite nicely what CP is trying to say.

Ill just add this...you might want to sing it note for note...

• Agree 1

Very very much so..

Same thing with this post.

You are always working, slavin' every day...and you need a break from the same 'ol same 'ol...and you need a chance just to get away...and you need nothin' but a good time...

I suggest you take a couple of days off!!!  Like good 'ol Huey right here...

And if that dont work...tell your bosses to take his job and SHOVE IT!!!

(Dont actually do the last thing...that wont be too good)

I've had that thought..run screaming from the fecal desert.. but reality (mortgage, dogs, six figure income, bills) keeps me grounded in the grind...I do prefer sticking w/ contract gigs so I don't get too involved at a company and their internal $h!..just not worth the emotional commitment. .I can come and go, there is always another cube down the street and more code to sling..hired gun.  I am moving within the next year, though, to a better climate..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Career changes are tricky things. I've had them forced on me and I've done them voluntarily. Both are pretty traumatic.

Those of you who've posted with me know that when I started I worked at GM. When the downsizing happened in Oshawa I was one of the lucky ones-after being unemployed a grand total of eight days I would up doing three years of contract work for Ontario Power Generation. After that dried up I wound up moving halfway across the country to Alberta. Five months ago I decided to take a 30% pay cut to start a new career path at my current company.

None of that was fun, or easy. The satisfaction of having a position I actually enjoy, on the other hand... totally worth it. But as I said, none of it happened with a simple snap of the fingers.

So, for all of you who are contemplating doing what I have done, all I can say is... there will be few dull moments, and the end result may be about as predictable as a Magic 8-Ball.

But hey, look on the bright side: at least when you talk about stuff like that in here you don't have to worry about a pair of festering sacks of monkey crap making jokes about whether or not you've killed yourself because of the stress.

I'm slowly getting out of said rut.. But I think sometimes if you been in it for too long, you don't realize that you are moving out of it.

Career changes are tricky things. I've had them forced on me and I've done them voluntarily. Both are pretty traumatic.

Those of you who've posted with me know that when I started I worked at GM. When the downsizing happened in Oshawa I was one of the lucky ones-after being unemployed a grand total of eight days I would up doing three years of contract work for Ontario Power Generation. After that dried up I wound up moving halfway across the country to Alberta. Five months ago I decided to take a 30% pay cut to start a new career path at my current company.

None of that was fun, or easy. The satisfaction of having a position I actually enjoy, on the other hand... totally worth it. But as I said, none of it happened with a simple snap of the fingers.

So, for all of you who are contemplating doing what I have done, all I can say is... there will be few dull moments, and the end result may be about as predictable as a Magic 8-Ball.

But hey, look on the bright side: at least when you talk about stuff like that in here you don't have to worry about a pair of festering sacks of monkey crap making jokes about whether or not you've killed yourself because of the stress.

Are you in Calgary?

Nope, I'm right up in the oilpatch.

Oh... dunno where that is.  I'll be spending a week in Calgary in August for work.  I'm in the energy industry too for my day job, but I think different segment. (though we do have drilling operations in Alberta I believe)

Most of my time is spent somewhere between Edmonton and Fort McMurray/Fort Mackay area. I'm more into the oil sands part of the industry.

August in Calgary? You'd better find time to hit Banff. YouTube Art St. Antoine's run through the region in a Nissan GTR for Motor Trend and thank me later. The driving out that way is fantastic-I run through there as often as I'm able.

Most of my time is spent somewhere between Edmonton and Fort McMurray/Fort Mackay area. I'm more into the oil sands part of the industry.

August in Calgary? You'd better find time to hit Banff. YouTube Art St. Antoine's run through the region in a Nissan GTR for Motor Trend and thank me later. The driving out that way is fantastic-I run through there as often as I'm able.

Thanks! I'll take a look.  I love the mountains.

My road trip of choice from Calgary would be talking the Trans-Canada Highway (Route 1) out of Calgary into Banff National Park via Canmore. Depending on how long you got I'd visit the town of Banff itself and then head northwest until I get to Route 1A (Bow Valley Parkway) which I'd then take to Lake Louise. Get to Lake Louise and take Moraine Lake Road to the most awesome place I've yet to visit on the planet. That'll be about a day to do right-but what a day!

Edited by El Kabong

My road trip of choice from Calgary would be talking the Trans-Canada Highway (Route 1) out of Calgary into Banff National Park via Canmore. Depending on how long you got I'd visit the town of Banff itself and then head northwest until I get to Route 1A (Bow Valley Parkway) which I'd then take to Lake Louise. Get to Lake Louise and take Moraine Lake Road to the most awesome place I've yet to visit on the planet. That'll be about a day to do right-but what a day!

I'll only have "after work" time... so figure leaving downtown Calgary around 5pm.

Hmmm.

Depends, then. If you prefer leisurely drives through the woods with some nice river and mountain views go with the 1A portion and double back at Lake Louise. If you prefer mountains and lakes all up in your grille bypass 1A, stay on the TCH, and try and get to Moraine Lake. But hey, even if you're "just" able to make it to Canmore or Banff you're still gonna have a blast. I'm gonna be there in mid-September. I can't wait already.

Edit: if you make it to Banff and decide to stop there, head up the road to Mount Norquay. There's a nice (but extremely sloped) field about halfway up, before the ski resort entrance. Good view of the town to be had, with Mount Rundle in the background.

Edited by El Kabong

The deeper I get into GT6 the more subtle things are pissing me off.

1. Why are so many 600pp racing series restricted to sport-hard tires? It's asinine. Miraculously, none of the computer opponents ever eat it coming out of a turn, or get loose and spin out.

2. Computer performance bias is waaayyy too noticeable. Somehow the #1 car flies out ahead by 10 seconds in the first half of the race, then magically runs out of steam back to normal.

3. Power points vary dramatically from car to car. Some cars are impossible to make competitive as a result.

4. What the f@#k is the point of having multiple tune presets per car if some of the settings change universally? Who thought that was a GOOD idea?! Christ, I'm constantly adjusting a car every time I race.

• Agree 2

SO MUCH RACING ON TV TODAY!

F1

Continental Tire Sportscar Series

Pirelli World Challenge

NHRA Top Fuel

Replay of the Tudor United Sportscar race at Watkins Glen

NASCAR race tonight at Daytona under the lights.

Oh, and my Redbirds are playing right now.

But it's 80 degrees and sunny outside..

• Agree 1

The 4x4 needs a ball joint up front, blah.  I don't think I have owned a vehicle in this god forsaken part of the country that didn't eventually need them though.   I am sure my running off-road every weekend doesn't help either lol. 

Ever have so much to get done that you sort of shut down and do nothing for a bit? 

Had one of those weekends and it's frustrating me to no end. 

Yup. the overwhelmingness of it all sometimes I'll just do nothing about it.. Then realize..F! and then do work.. I do pretty good work under pressure.

• Agree 1